PDA

View Full Version : Sad day for Red Bull

Bagwan
17th March 2012, 16:31
No pole for Red Bull in Oz , but the day is a sad one for another , more important reason .
Chaleo Yoovidhya , the creator of the original formula for the energy drink , has passed away at 89 years of age .

In a way , we have him to thank for this team , as , without him , Mateschitz would not likely have found the same fortune , and spent it so freely across motorsports in general , and on F1 specifically .

RIP .

I hope to see tribute , perhaps black arm bands , at Red Bull tomorrow .

N4D13
17th March 2012, 16:41
Rest in peace.

ioan
17th March 2012, 17:04
RIP.

Dave B
17th March 2012, 17:17
He finally got his wings.

Too soon?

Bagwan
17th March 2012, 18:27
He finally got his wings.

Too soon?

That's a little crass , Dave .

SGWilko
17th March 2012, 20:15
That's a little crass , Dave .

Actually, I thought it was light hearted humour, with a little product relevence in the form of a pun added for good measure.

CNR
17th March 2012, 22:17
I did not know this
Thai billionaire Chaleo Yoovidhya who created Red Bull energy drink dies in his 80s - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/thai-billionaire-who-created-red-bull-energy-drink-dies-in-his-80s/2012/03/17/gIQAlGdsIS_story.html)

Mateschitz and Chaleo each own roughly half of the company.
you never hear his name in f1 it is allways Mateschitz

Bagwan
17th March 2012, 23:21
Actually, I thought it was light hearted humour, with a little product relevence in the form of a pun added for good measure.

So , you have nothing to say for the man who passed away , but have a comment for me , about my disdain for Dave's words ?

Have a little respect , sir .

Note that Dave wrote "Too soon ?" .
My comment on his answers his question . "Too soon" , indeed , on the very day we get news of his passing .

N4D13
17th March 2012, 23:35
Guys, seriously, there's little point in arguing whether this or that was or wasn't appropriate. I'm sure that all of us will be wishing Mr Yoovidhya to be well, wherever he is. That's the only relevant thing about this post, IMHO.

truefan72
18th March 2012, 00:48
RIP

Roamy
18th March 2012, 01:21
If we all could be fortunate to reach 89 yrs old RIP

F1boat
18th March 2012, 07:54
RIP. :(

Dave B
18th March 2012, 08:11
So , you have nothing to say for the man who passed away , but have a comment for me , about my disdain for Dave's words ?

My comment on his answers his question . "Too soon" , indeed , on the very day we get news of his passing .
Oh save the sanctimonious claptrap. Somebody that none of us had heard of until this thread passed away at a ripe old age having amassed a billion dollar fortune and enjoying a long and successful life. I made a light-hearted remark about the slogan of his hugely successful invention. Forgive me if I'm not crying into my cornflakes or gnashing and wailing while clutching a can of fizzy crap shouting "WHY GOD WHY?" at the heavens.

Garry Walker
18th March 2012, 08:13
Oh save the sanctimonious claptrap. Be careful, you can get warned for something like this.

Somebody that none of us had heard of until this thread passed away at a ripe old age having amassed a billion dollar fortune and enjoying a long and successful life. I made a light-hearted remark about the slogan of his hugely successful invention. Forgive me if I'm not crying into my cornflakes or gnashing and wailing while clutching a can of fizzy crap shouting "WHY GOD WHY?" at the heavens.

I tend to agree with this. Who of us actually had known this guy before this thread?

steveaki13
18th March 2012, 08:16
Oh save the sanctimonious claptrap. Somebody that none of us had heard of until this thread passed away at a ripe old age having amassed a billion dollar fortune and enjoying a long and successful life. I made a light-hearted remark about the slogan of his hugely successful invention. Forgive me if I'm not crying into my cornflakes or gnashing and wailing while clutching a can of fizzy crap shouting "WHY GOD WHY?" at the heavens.

Have to say I agree.

Its not quite the same as a 20 year old driver passing, when he had a life ahead of him. This guy was successful and had a great life. So RIP

Garry Walker
18th March 2012, 08:18
This guy was successful and had a great life.

How do you know he had a great life? Just because he had loads of money?

steveaki13
18th March 2012, 08:22
How do you know he had a great life? Just because he had loads of money?

How do you know he didn't? ;)

Money can't give you a great life, but I would be willing to take some billions and find out one way or the other. :s mokin:

Garry Walker
18th March 2012, 08:24
How do you know he didn't? ;)

You will notice I didn't state that.

jens
18th March 2012, 09:04
I think the Red Bulls put in a good fighting drive today for the honour of Mr Yoovidhya. :)

Bagwan
19th March 2012, 13:48
I'm a little surprised at seemingly being the only one on the forum here who had heard of this man before the day he died .

I'm also more than a little surprised that I saw and heard nothing from the team about this .
Without him , there would be no Red Bull .

Dave B , you didn't surprise me at all .
It was "Too soon" , Dave .
Have a nice day .

schmenke
19th March 2012, 15:50
Did consumption of the sugar and caffeine saturated beverage contribute to his longevity, or his demise? :s

SGWilko
20th March 2012, 10:07

Not wishing to play the hypocrite here, I am quite sure the energy drink's creator will not appreciate any faux sorrow from me for someone who I have never heard of.

BDunnell
20th March 2012, 10:38
Not wishing to play the hypocrite here, I am quite sure the energy drink's creator will not appreciate any faux sorrow from me for someone who I have never heard of.

My view exactly. I consider it to be a perfectly acceptable one.

Bagwan
20th March 2012, 13:29

"Faux sorrow" ? No , he would not appreciate that . You are right about that .

Would he appreciate defence of a joke about his death when hardly cold ? I think not .

I merely felt that it was "too soon" .
No more needs said , but RIP .