PDA

View Full Version : Nostalgia. Is it dead?

ArrowsFA1
26th March 2007, 10:38
When you can buy, download or trade anything you like is nostalgia a thing of the past?

Time was you cherished the memory of buying your first single, but probably hadn't listened to it for years because you hadn't possessed a record player for years. Now? Just download it and it can be shuffled among all the other thousands of tracks on your ipod.

:dozey:

Erki
26th March 2007, 11:20
Yeah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.. :p :

BDunnell
26th March 2007, 11:27
No, because there are still other memories on which we can all look back. People will always be nostalgic about some things.

ArrowsFA1
26th March 2007, 11:54
I guess I'm thinking about music in particular since the rise of the ipod/mp3.

Now, your music can be in one portable place where you can shuffle your choices to your hearts content :p Way back when, things were not so...convenient.

It struck me when I was downloading a few tracks I hadn't heard for decades ( :eek: ) the other night. Without the capability to do this the memories associated with these tracks would have been locked in nostalgia, only to be released very rarely if I happened to sneak a listen to them on the radio once in a blue moon. Now, I can listen to them to my heart's content whenever, and wherever, I want, and I suspect that the original memories may fade as a result.

That, or this is another "old fart" moment :dozey:

Eki
26th March 2007, 12:19
Everything was better in the past, even nostalgia.

tinchote
26th March 2007, 12:20
A couple decades from now, people will be nostalgic of their ipods :D

janneppi
26th March 2007, 12:25
Everything was better in the past, even nostalgia.
Not even bread taste like bread anymore. :)

I think it's nice how modern technology can give us back the memories of past, Street Hawk was bad when i was a kid, and sure is bad today. :D

Sleeper
26th March 2007, 12:26
If the memories fade due to easy access, then maybe they werent that strong in the first place. I'm glad of the easy access to CD's from yesteryear as there are a lot of old albums from the 70's that I love and many more that I have still to get. Technology changes but the memories stay the same.

BeansBeansBeans
26th March 2007, 12:39
I'm not a massive fan of nostalgia. Some people I know in their 20s and 30s, spend all their time reminiscing about what they did when they were younger, and it's a little bit pathetic. Onwards and upwards I say.

ArrowsFA1
26th March 2007, 12:46
A couple decades from now, people will be nostalgic of their ipods :D
:laugh: Good point :up:

race aficionado
26th March 2007, 14:53
\
That, or this is another "old fart" moment :dozey:

Definitely an "old fart' moment my friend.

It's been a long while since I've started associating many of my actions by remembering my parents and grandparents talking about the price of milk and transportation in their own days when I was oh so young.

Thankfully I still find myself brough back in time unexpectedly when an "oldie" starts playing catching me by surprise.

Thank goodness for those good memories, they remind us of times gone by and thank goodness for today's technology, if we don't let it allow us to forget where we come from.

or something like that . . . . :p

peace and love and brotherhood: now that should not be nostalgic!
:s mokin:

SOD
26th March 2007, 15:20
the world will end with an up to the minute nostalgia contest.

people have become nostalgic fo the 1990s :rolleyes:

oily oaf
26th March 2007, 16:57
I remember when this was all fields :mad:

SOD
26th March 2007, 18:49
I remember when this was all fields :mad:

this website was a field? :eek:

Did Lord Walthamstow turn it into a forum: :D

CarlMetro
26th March 2007, 19:28
Even though I'm a big fan and was once quite a collector of vinyl I do like the ease at which tracks are available at the click of a mouse these days.

Back in the old days before downloads if someone asked you for an oldie that you didn't have then it meant a trip around various record shops and record fairs trying to aquire a copy, these days I just stick it into something like Limewire and a couple of minutes later it's ready to burn to disc.

I also find it useful for the chart music, especially stuff where I would never consider buying the artists particular album. I can't remember the last time I brought a single, but manage to keep most of the top 40 with me most of the time.

Albums are different though. I tend to still buy albums. Too many of them according to my wife :rolleyes:

Ian McC
26th March 2007, 19:47
Even though I'm a big fan and was once quite a collector of vinyl

And then you got rid of it :rolleyes: :p :

LotusElise
26th March 2007, 20:39
With more people having access and enjoying to the tunes of yesteryear than ever, isn't nostalgia booming?

LeonBrooke
26th March 2007, 21:36
Everywhere you look there are CDs of music from decades gone by, and new generations are getting to like it. But, I can see Arrows' point - the more you hear a piece of music, the less impact it has. But that doesn't mean that the associated memories are fading, just that the song is being associated with new experiences.

Dave B
27th March 2007, 11:34
Even though I'm a big fan and was once quite a collector of vinyl ...
I've just spent a day laying floor panels in the loft so I can store my vinyl. I was considering getting rid of it as I honestly haven't played any of it for at least five years, but couldn't bring myself to do it. :s

CharlieJ
27th March 2007, 12:00
I've already replaced almost all of my old vinyl with CDs, but I miss the old big fold-out sleeves. And the cover picture on Court of the Crimson King just doesn't have the same impact on a CD ! :eek:

schmenke
27th March 2007, 16:27
Over the years I've replaced all my vinyl with cd's and now those are all replaced with mp3's :mark:
That doesn't necessarily mean that nostalgia is dead. When I listen to an old song, be it on the radio, vinyl or my iPod, it still conjures up the same memories.

Ian McC
27th March 2007, 21:11
I've just spent a day laying floor panels in the loft so I can store my vinyl. I was considering getting rid of it as I honestly haven't played any of it for at least five years, but couldn't bring myself to do it. :s

I considered that but was worried about the temperature, it can get hot up there.

oily oaf
28th March 2007, 06:06
I've already replaced almost all of my old vinyl with CDs, but I miss the old big fold-out sleeves. And the cover picture on Court of the Crimson King just doesn't have the same impact on a CD ! :eek:

One of the greatest album covers of them all. Am I right Charlie?
I was actually at the mighty "Stones In The Park" gig in 1969? with a mate from school when an obscure young bunch of lads calling themselves King Crimson blew us all away with an ear splitting rendition of "21st Century Schizoid Man". Hard to believe I'm only 25 innit? ;)

oily oaf
28th March 2007, 07:25
(dons curly shoulder length wig, plays Melatron and bawls into voice distorting mike)

Blood rack!
Barbed wire!
Politicians funeral pyre!
Innocents raped with napalm fire!
Twenty First Century Schizoid Maaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

By Jove I needed that!

All this talk of nostalgia made my mind turn to my grandfathers, both of whom served their country in the 2 world wars with varying degrees of distinction and success.

My maternal grandfather "Sid" or El as we always called him joined the navy in 1913 to see the world and spent the next 30 years in a submarine :(

My other grandad was a humble "Tommy" who was shipped off to France in 1914 to do battle with The Hun.
To his absolute credit he never mentions the traumatic years he spent fighting for King and Country in the War To End All Wars.

Mind you he went over the top at Ypres on his first day on the job and was mown down in a murderous hail of enemy machine gun fire and was killed instantly.

CharlieJ
28th March 2007, 08:26
One of the greatest album covers of them all. Am I right Charlie?
I was actually at the mighty "Stones In The Park" gig in 1969? with a mate from school when an obscure young bunch of lads calling themselves King Crimson blew us all away with an ear splitting rendition of "21st Century Schizoid Man". Hard to believe I'm only 25 innit? ;)
One of the greatest album covers and one of the greatest albums. I was at Stones In The Park, but only managed to get there just in time to see the Stones themselves. It's not hard to believe you're only 25 Oily... I'm just 28 myself! (although I seem to remember being 16 then ? ;) ). Went to the Blind Faith Hyde Park concert too, where Ginger Baker played a 20 minute version of Toad - Absolutely Awesome! :eek:

CarlMetro
28th March 2007, 09:02
Certainly the CD is no substitute for a decent 12" vinyl album cover. I always remeber buying Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie wonder, inside it had a fullsize lyrics book and a bonus 7" single with four extra tracks on it. Whilst you get bonus, and hidden :rolleyes: , stuff on CD these days it always seems a bit of a cop-out to me, why cal them bonus when they're just additional tracks :confused:

schmenke
28th March 2007, 15:10
Tbh I can never be @rsed to try to find those "hidden" tracks :mark: .

The first thing I do nowadays when I actually purchase a cd is rip all tracks onto my iPod, then put the case into my cd rack never to be looked at again... :mark:

race aficionado
28th March 2007, 15:14
. . . The White Album with the four photographs of the Beatles.

. . . or the vynil cut of "Abbey Road" that was "digitally mastered".

It was expensive but it was so cool to listen to all those details that were not on the original record.

Drew
28th March 2007, 16:11
Music isn't the only thing people are nostalgic about. Even though, I just got a mix CD from my sister and it had a song that reminded me of one summer and I hadn't heard it for a while :)

oily oaf
28th March 2007, 16:26
One of the greatest album covers and one of the greatest albums. I was at Stones In The Park, but only managed to get there just in time to see the Stones themselves. It's not hard to believe you're only 25 Oily... I'm just 28 myself! (although I seem to remember being 16 then ? ;) ). Went to the Blind Faith Hyde Park concert too, where Ginger Baker played a 20 minute version of Toad - Absolutely Awesome! :eek:

Oi Charlie! Have you been following me mate? ;)
I was at the "Faith" gig also.
There was a bloke sitting in front of me with an Afghan waistcoat, shoulder length white hair like Johnny Winter and who was puffing on the biggest "Camberwell Carrot" I ever did see :D

'ere it wasn't you was it?

CharlieJ
29th March 2007, 09:07
Oi Charlie! Have you been following me mate? ;)
I was at the "Faith" gig also.
There was a bloke sitting in front of me with an Afghan waistcoat, shoulder length white hair like Johnny Winter and who was puffing on the biggest "Camberwell Carrot" I ever did see :D

'ere it wasn't you was it?
Oily, my hair isn't white even now! :D And my first taste of the weed was a year later at the Isle of Wight. :s mokin: You weren't there too by any chance?