PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari hires Mika Salo

Eki
5th March 2012, 13:59
He will be their test driver, according to Iltalehti and MTV3:

Ferrari palkkasi Mika Salon - "Ajan autolla lähiaikoina" | Formulat | Iltalehti.fi (http://www.iltalehti.fi/formulat/2012030515285618_fo.shtml)

RS
5th March 2012, 14:09
Really?

Have I just fallen through a wormhole 10 years back in time?

jens
5th March 2012, 15:12
When I read the title, I thought Salo is going to test a Ferrari sportscar. But an F1 car? Shocking! And even though it's just a publicity/media event, then why Salo and no-one else?

AndyL
5th March 2012, 15:18
Trying to recapture the spirit of the 2000's when the test driver was a washed-up journeyman but the car was good?

steveaki13
5th March 2012, 17:54
This links in well with the Italian drivers thread.

It is worrying for F1s future with limited testing, when Ferrari hire Salo rather than any up and coming drivers.

These yougnsters have less and less oppotunities now with F1 teams sticking with the older drivers longer (De La Rosa, Schumacher, Barrichello (until this year)). They are a sfaer bet than an Alguersuari or whoever.

A strange move, but as said above a publicity stunt. I heard Eddie Irvine will race if Massa gets injured or keeps crashing. :p :

Eki
5th March 2012, 17:59
This links in well with the Italian drivers thread.

It is worrying for F1s future with limited testing, when Ferrari hire Salo rather than any up and coming drivers.

These yougnsters have less and less oppotunities now with F1 teams sticking with the older drivers longer (De La Rosa, Schumacher, Barrichello (until this year)). They are a sfaer bet than an Alguersuari or whoever.

A strange move, but as said above a publicity stunt. I heard Eddie Irvine will race if Massa gets injured or keeps crashing. :p :
The news said that Salo works well with technicians and knows more about the car and its technology than up and coming drivers.

They want experience in testing, not potential future stars. Those they can buy later from other teams when they're ready.

Knock-on
5th March 2012, 18:11
Ohhhh, I thought he was to replace Massa :D

RS
5th March 2012, 18:30
The news said that Salo works well with technicians and knows more about the car and its technology than up and coming drivers.

They want experience in testing, not potential future stars. Those they can buy later from other teams when they're ready.

But this is at a time when there is no testing... Is he also reserve driver?

janneppi
5th March 2012, 18:42
Ferrari was probably exited about his skills in analyzing crap handling tuner cars he drives in his tv show. :p :

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-M-p-unmFNnU/TWUTFQkyVZI/AAAAAAAAA2c/xLvn2oAJpQU/s1600/viritt%25C3%25A4j%25C3%25A4t1.jpg

jens
5th March 2012, 20:12
Considering that Salo's F1 experience dates back to 10 and more years, I don't think his knowledge is particularly valuable for a current F1 team any more. Can't see this deal meaning serious development work, unless it involves sportscars. Salo is bound to be more like an ambassador, like for example Alesi is for Lotus Cars.

DexDexter
5th March 2012, 21:06
Salo is always exaggerating things; this probably means he's going to test the Ferrari seat.

tfp
5th March 2012, 23:25
Salo is always exaggerating things; this probably means he's going to test the Ferrari seat.

Or have a go in the simulator :D

Eki
6th March 2012, 08:18
But this is at a time when there is no testing... Is he also reserve driver?
The news said he will test in Japan during the Australian GP. I guess private testing is allowed.

driveace
6th March 2012, 11:25
Last photo I saw of Salo,it looked as if he been eating a few meat pies !!!

Mia 01
6th March 2012, 12:20
Last photo I saw of Salo,it looked as if he been eating a few meat pies !!!

Most of us does.

I like Salo, he has guts and is a former ferrari driver.
And, a finn is a finn, and they are very much needed at ferrari thoose days it seems.

DexDexter
6th March 2012, 13:23
The news said he will test in Japan during the Australian GP. I guess private testing is allowed.

The "news" story was written by a Finnish journalist who knows nothing about F1 and tabloid newspapers (who also don't know anything about F1 either) jumped in and published the "story". Salo is going to drive an old Ferrari once in a promotional event.

Eki
6th March 2012, 13:44
The "news" story was written by a Finnish journalist who knows nothing about F1 and tabloid newspapers (who also don't know anything about F1 either) jumped in and published the "story". Salo is going to drive an old Ferrari once in a promotional event.

Yep, it's said here that he's only going to drive a vintage Ferrari in a show in Suzuka:

TS: Salo ei testaa - ajaa Ferrari-tapahtumassa - Ilta-Sanomat (http://www.iltasanomat.fi/formula1/ts-salo-ei-testaa---ajaa-ferrari-tapahtumassa/art-1288453191396.html)

ArrowsFA1
6th March 2012, 14:10
My cockpit for tomorrow. Ferrari F10 chassis 284. I feel very comfortable in the car, can't wait to drive it
Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/MBrundleF1/status/177002753510477824)

DexDexter
6th March 2012, 14:39
Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/MBrundleF1/status/177002753510477824)

There is something fishy going on in Maranello since they are hiring these old F1 drivers to test. Must be the complicated car they have. :D :D

SGWilko
6th March 2012, 20:14

Someone should tip-off The Sun paper here in Blighty - that sounds just the type of Fleet Street hack they employ.....

Jefe Máximo
8th March 2012, 14:13
Is it 2000?

If he'd said no, wonder if they'd have gone to Irvine.

odykas
9th March 2012, 16:45
Who's next, Luca Badoer? :p :

Old school rocks :cool: