PDA

View Full Version : Frank Williams steps down

Knock-on
2nd March 2012, 15:58
Just heard that Sir Frank has handed over the reigns. Thought this might be the case with the release about Adam Parr.

The sport owes a lot to Frank and I wish him well.

He continues to be principal but I assume this will be for the transition over the 2012 season.

pino
2nd March 2012, 16:04
Link or source please :p :

Knock-on
2nd March 2012, 16:07
BBC Sport - Sir Frank Williams steps down from the Williams team board (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17232798)

On the BBC website Pino. Let me know your email address and i'll send this new tool i use called Google (http://www.google.com) :p

pino
2nd March 2012, 16:12
BBC Sport - Sir Frank Williams steps down from the Williams team board (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17232798)

On the BBC website Pino. Let me know your email address and i'll send this new tool i use called Google (http://www.google.com) :p

I want that in Italian so I can understand what it's written :p :

Mark
2nd March 2012, 16:12
One of the most sucessful team owners in Formula 1 history. Much respect. But I'll still never forgive him for firing Damon Hill!

CNR
2nd March 2012, 23:57
I want that in Italian so I can understand what it's written :p :

Translated with bing not sure how good it is

www.inautonews.com/williams-leaves-board-of-own-f1-team - Translator (http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=it&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.inautonews.com%2Fwilliams-leaves-board-of-own-f1-team)

CNR
3rd March 2012, 00:06
Williams Grand Prix Holdings Personnel Announcements :: PaddockTalk :: F1, Formula 1, NASCAR, IndyCar, MotoGP, ALMS, And More! (http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-184296.html)

I shall continue to work full-time as Team Principal and I shall continue to attend all Board meetings as observer. I also remain the majority shareholder of Williams Grand Prix Holdings PLC. Nonetheless, I shall be looking to Claire to represent the "Williams family"

gloomyDAY
3rd March 2012, 03:12
Awww Frankie. The time has come for him to be abdicated from his duties. At least he's not going to be an old frail man desperately clinging to the team. I'm sure there will be another team principal on the way.

http://www.williamsf1.com/system/uploads/attachments/0010/8685/Claire_Williams_large.jpg

Claire is a good looking bird. I wish her the best of luck.

One of the most sucessful team owners in Formula 1 history. Much respect. But I'll still never forgive him for firing Damon Hill! :s tareup: Yeah, and Damon was a real angel. Williams made the right decision because the issue was over money. Cut your losses and move forwards, thank you very much.

driveace
3rd March 2012, 05:47
Best wishes on you partial retirement Sir frank,your daughter looks a smart cookie,and long may your cars be in F1

jens
3rd March 2012, 09:03
Well, here an old saying can be used: one day everything comes to an end. In any case, it has been an impressively long career for Mr Frank! :up: Although he hasn't quite matched Enzo Ferrari himself, who started out as a team boss in early 30's to keep going for more than half a century!

:s tareup: Yeah, and Damon was a real angel. Williams made the right decision because the issue was over money. Cut your losses and move forwards, thank you very much.

I thought money (and also Prost) was more of Mansell's (personal) issue. Hill was left out, because Williams had decided already in as early as 1995 that Villeneuve and Frentzen should be the future of the team.

I'd say the Williams situation of late 1996 was similar to what Force India had last year. The driver, who had brought the best results to the team was left out, because the team believed that younger drivers have more long-term potential.

pino
3rd March 2012, 09:12
Frank is a legend and it is very sad to see him leaving. Most ital people and media have great respect for him :)

ArrowsFA1
3rd March 2012, 11:17
All things must pass and Frank has done his team proud. Time to hand over the reigns and good to see that the family involvement continues, although I'm yet to be convinced that Adam Parr is the right man to lead the team into the future but time will tell.

There seems to be a very well planned handover at Williams which should see the team be a part of F1 for a long time to come.

Jefe Máximo
8th March 2012, 14:17
That's probably the first step he's taken in a long time. :p :

F1 has gone from being an individual driven sport to a corporate roulette table anyway. It was fun when the likes of Jordan and Stoddart were around.. It was fun to hate some and love others.

Williams moving on is just another symbolic nail in the coffin.

F1boat
9th March 2012, 18:48
One of the most sucessful team owners in Formula 1 history. Much respect. But I'll still never forgive him for firing Damon Hill!

I agree. I will always have a soft spot for him, but his treatment for the drivers were not very nice. If you the recent interviews with Rubens, same happened again...

ioan
9th March 2012, 20:06
I thought money (and also Prost) was more of Mansell's (personal) issue. Hill was left out, because Williams had decided already in as early as 1995 that Villeneuve and Frentzen should be the future of the team.

I'd say the Williams situation of late 1996 was similar to what Force India had last year. The driver, who had brought the best results to the team was left out, because the team believed that younger drivers have more long-term potential.

Exactly, and probably Force India will start going down just like Williams went down after they fired Hill.

F1boat
10th March 2012, 09:11
In the case of Force India, I am not sure. I trust that the Hulk is not a worse driver than Adrian and Adrian complicated his situation, because he cut that Renault guy. I think that di Resta is better than Sutil. And Sutil can't really be compared with Hill, the champion who fought valiantly against the young and formidable Michael Schumacher - probably the best driver ever in his best form, ever.

DexDexter
10th March 2012, 09:17
In the case of Force India, I am not sure. I trust that the Hulk is not a worse driver than Adrian and Adrian complicated his situation, because he cut that Renault guy. I think that di Resta is better than Sutil. And Sutil can't really be compared with Hill, the champion who fought valiantly against the young and formidable Michael Schumacher - probably the best driver ever in his best form, ever.

Hill had a Newey-designed Williams which equaled things "a little bit". Actually he should've won more titles at Williams, just wasn't good enough.

BDunnell
12th March 2012, 00:06
Hill had a Newey-designed Williams which equaled things "a little bit". Actually he should've won more titles at Williams, just wasn't good enough.

I consider it unfair to suggest that was the only reason. The small matters of Adelaide 1994 and alleged traction control spring to mind.

ArrowsFA1
12th March 2012, 08:22
Exactly, and probably Force India will start going down just like Williams went down after they fired Hill.
If Force India lost their Mercedes engine supply and had to use a lesser engine then they'd probably struggle, as Williams did when Renault withdrew at the end of 1997.

Knock-on
12th March 2012, 10:25

Yes, it was Newey designed but it was at a time when the FIA had "over-equlizes" their advantage. The suspension had been outlawed and there was a desire by Bernie and the new guard to promote Benetton and Schumacher to the fore in order to cash in on the lucrative German market.

The Williams ws "equalised" but the Benetton was allowed illegal competitive advantages (enter Fousto stage left ;) )

nigelred5
13th March 2012, 12:39
I agree. I will always have a soft spot for him, but his treatment for the drivers were not very nice. If you the recent interviews with Rubens, same happened again...

Frank bought a high priced veteran driver once... 1994. I don't recall him ever paying for a high priced front line veteran driver after that. Frank refused to pay top salaries at the expense of the team, even when he had huge budgets. Once a driver proved himself and sought a higher salary, the were gone. I think his handling of drivers could have certainly been better, but Williams has always reportedly stayed within their means and I can't fault a team for that. Driver salaries are probably the one factor that is most easily controlled by the team. There's always a younger driver out there that will work cheaper, but that philosophy has bitten williams from time to time. Developing Technology and building cars costs money.

ArrowsFA1
13th March 2012, 12:59
By "the drivers" I take it you mean Mansell and Hill? They are the most often cited examples, prompted largely by the vociferous UK tabloid media. I seem to recall The Sun encouraging a campaign outside the gates of the Williams factory when Mansell was "kicked out" :p :

Given the many, many drivers that Williams have employed over the years I wouldn't consider less than a handfull of instances as being significant, and they certainly do not warrant this reputation that Williams seem to have regarding their treatment of drivers.

As ever with these kind of things there is more than one side to every story. Mansell's version differs from the Williams version for example. As for Rubens you can understand if he feels hard done by by Williams but bottom line is that the choice of drivers is down to the team.

I think the fact that Mansell, Hill and other drivers remain on very good terms with Williams says enough.

BDunnell
13th March 2012, 13:04
Given the many, many drivers that Williams have employed over the years I wouldn't consider less than a handfull of instances as being significant, and they certainly do not warrant this reputation that Williams seem to have regarding their treatment of drivers.

It is true though, is it not, that Williams has always had a tougher attitude with regard to such things than other teams? I mean, look at Frank Williams' comments about Alan Jones being 'grossly inconsiderate' in the timing of his retirement. Few other team bosses, even in the early 1980s, would have said that! Still, it hasn't exactly done the team much harm.

ArrowsFA1
13th March 2012, 13:30
It is true though, is it not, that Williams has always had a tougher attitude with regard to such things than other teams? I mean, look at Frank Williams' comments about Alan Jones being 'grossly inconsiderate' in the timing of his retirement. Few other team bosses, even in the early 1980s, would have said that!
I'm not so sure. For one thing Jones was inconsiderate announcing his retirement so late. He left the constructors champions with few options as the top drivers were already signed up. As it turned out Rosberg proved to be a good signing but at the time he was not considered a topline driver. He was, however, available!

I do think that generally people were more outspoken at that time and Frank's comments should be seen in that context. Remember Peter Warr's comment about Mansell - "he'll never win a Grand Prix as long as I have a hole in my arse"? :p

wedge
15th March 2012, 00:31
and they certainly do not warrant this reputation that Williams seem to have regarding their treatment of drivers.

Well, they've never been noted for being the caring type, putting arms round shoulders, etc. Patrick Head particularly often regarded as a taskmaster.

In hindsight Reutimann could probably done with more attention and Frentzen felt he prospered at Jordan because it had a better working environment.

ArrowsFA1
18th March 2012, 08:05
Looks like the changes at Williams may just have done the trick. Ok, they didn't get the result in the end but the car showed strong performance throughout the weekend. Looking forward to Malaysia.

N. Jones
18th March 2012, 14:43
I didn't read through the whole thing so I'm sorry if this is a double post:

Who is slated to take over as owner of the Williams team once Sir Frank shuffles off this mortal coil?