PDA

View Full Version : Ecclestone losing the plot or what ?

CNR
23rd February 2012, 20:21
Ecclestone wants Vettel's F1 dominance to end

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone (http://www.greenwichtime.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Bernie+Ecclestone%22) says Sebastian Vettel (http://www.greenwichtime.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=sports&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Sebastian+Vettel%22)'s dominance could be harming the sport and wants someone to dethrone the sport's youngest champion.

Read more: Ecclestone wants Vettel's F1 dominance to end - GreenwichTime (http://www.greenwichtime.com/sports/article/Ecclestone-wants-Vettel-s-F1-dominance-to-end-3355979.php#ixzz1nEpHV3er[/quote)]

Bernie wants Schumi in Red Bull | Red Bull Racing News | Formula 1 Teams | Sky Sports (http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12475/7540216/Bernie-wants-Schumi-in-Red-Bull)
Bernie wants Schumi in Red Bull
[quote]The F1 supremo feels that the sport needs the seven-time World Champion back on the top step of the podium after last year's domination by Vettel.

IceWizard
23rd February 2012, 23:01
Well Bernie does have a point that it would be nice to see someone challenge Vettel. Sadly I can't see it being Schumacher or that he would do significantly better than Webber has done up against Vettel.

Azumanga Davo
24th February 2012, 05:01
He's allowed a free opinion. Give him a break already.

It's the loopy ideas that affect the sport directly that you should worry about.

tfp
24th February 2012, 09:34
I think hes right, every Qualifying last year where Vettel came out last and set the fastest time right at the last minute, there wasnt any point in watching the race, you already knew who the winner was.

I am mainly a wrc fan, but even I am not surprised at the lack of popularity-and to me, its no coincidence that at its lowest point of polularity there is also an 8 times world champion. I really dont want F1 to go the same way.

EuroTroll
24th February 2012, 10:21
It would indeed be nice if someone other than Vettel won the championship this year. Three in a row is a bit much...

wedge
24th February 2012, 14:11
Bernie enjoys cream: cash rules everything around me

If Vettel dominates its another PR disaster for F1 and the general sports audience. Take NASCAR: they engineer a last race showdown with The Chase with the final 10 races acting as a play off.

When Schumi dominated the sport with Ferrari the points system changed; with a golden generation with have had the 'medals' idea and the points system changed.

truefan72
24th February 2012, 15:50
Bernie enjoys cream: cash rules everything around me
dollar dollar bills ya'll...!

schmenke
24th February 2012, 20:34
The exact same comments were made during the period of Schumacher/Ferrari domination.
As a non-spec constructors series periods of domination like this are to be expected. Even the Schumacher/Ferrari period was not the first.

SGWilko
24th February 2012, 20:44

He's got;

90 thousand pounds in his pyjamas, 40 thousand french franks in his fridge, he's got lots of lovely lire, now the deutschmark's getting dearer, and his dollar bills would buy the brooklyn bridge...............

tfp
24th February 2012, 20:45

Sweetest girl! :p

The exact same comments were made during the period of Schumacher/Ferrari domination.
As a non-spec constructors series periods of domination like this are to be expected. Even the Schumacher/Ferrari period was not the first.

I know....But you must admit, it is very boring when it happens....

schmenke
24th February 2012, 21:43
Perhaps, but in the larger context of a constructors’ series, the intent of which is to build a team, construct a car, procure drivers and race for the purpose of dominating the competition, it can be quite exciting :) .

Tazio
24th February 2012, 22:08
A person in Bernie’s position can say whatever pleases him, but it is incumbent upon the field to overthrow Vettel, and RB, just like it was with Mike, and Ferrari. After five years it was finally accomplished after a myriad of different rule and scoring changes finally got him his @ss whipped. Vettel has more quality drivers to deal with than Mike, so I suspect his ouster will be coming forth-with, or something like that. :p

schmenke
24th February 2012, 22:41
... Vettel has more quality drivers to deal with than Mike... :p

Ooh, I foresee a debate so intense as to warrant the closing of this thread even before it begins! :D

Tazio
24th February 2012, 23:19
I think it is fairly obvious, and I include Mike as one of those top pilots along with Jenson in a good car, Kimi, Hamilton, Britney, Alonso, and if I'm going to include questionable entities, and if I put in Webber, I have to add Massa. It's too bad about Kubica he may be best of all.
Mike's Great competitors at least beat him once. Mika and Mike were very close in talent Jacques who I admire was kind of a flash in the F1 pan although versatility wise he was great. Hill took it personally and won it fairly.
But when Ferrari ran between 2000-2004 You had the likes of the Williams drivers including JPM and Ralf. Both of those pilots won multiple races for multiple teams. Coultard was a cool hand, but at the time I just thought he was Jenson in a better car. Kimi’s McLaren had too many engine problems. More talent at the top now. Is Red Bull as far ahead going into the season as Ferrari was in 2004? I remember the grid walk before the first race in Australia where DC was asked how he saw the field and it was after quali right before the race and he said "I think Ferrari will lap the field”.

Tazio
25th February 2012, 01:36
:s ailor: If I was Luca I would send the whole freakin' team to Fiorano and spend headquarters there at what's left of Minardi!!!
Make this situation seem serious like you are Minardi :s mokin: :bandit: :wave:

call_me_andrew
25th February 2012, 03:58
Red Bull's dominance will likely stop when the new engines arrive. If Bernie read my blog (could not type that without laughing) he would know this by now.

Splash & Go: Vettel to Win WDC in 2012 & 2013 - Racing-Reference.info (http://www.racing-reference.info/showblog?id=898)

Tazio
25th February 2012, 23:05
Red Bull's dominance will likely stop when the new engines arrive. If Bernie read my blog (could not type that without laughing) he would know this by now.

Splash & Go: Vettel to Win WDC in 2012 & 2013 - Racing-Reference.info (http://www.racing-reference.info/showblog?id=898)
That is a most righteous blog bro :up:

tfp
26th February 2012, 16:50
I think it is fairly obvious, and I include Mike as one of those top pilots along with Jenson in a good car, Kimi, Hamilton, Britney, Alonso, and if I'm going to include questionable entities, and if I put in Webber, I have to add Massa. It's too bad about Kubica he may be best of all.

Deffo agree with you with Kubica, I was devestated when he had the accident, I think he could have been among the greats.
Excuse my ignorance....But who in the world is britney? :D

Tazio
26th February 2012, 18:07
Excuse my ignorance....But who in the world is britney? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR0BEt_AtlI

I think Webber actually started it.

CNR
27th February 2012, 20:36
Ecclestone predicts possible Hamilton exit | Oldest Comments | Page 1 | F1 | Crash.Net (http://www.crash.net/f1/comments/177147/1/a/0/ecclestone_predicts_possible_hamilton_exit.html)

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has cast doubt on Lewis Hamilton's long-term future in the sport, stating that this season could be 'make or break'.

jens
28th February 2012, 14:44
Hamilton's possible exit from F1? Well, if he has a similar mindset as Montoya, then anything is possible. But certainly too early to discuss about that.

If Vettel wins the title this year, it would be a special achievement. By this I mean that in the history of F1 only two drivers have managed to win the WDC for at least three times in a row: Fangio and Schumacher.

The "problem" with Vettel especially from Bernie's point of view is that he isn't a particularly controversial personality (just smiling a lot) nor has he managed to attract a huge fanbase to him. I think current Top4 is Schumacher, Räikkönen, Hamilton and Alonso in terms of the amount of fans.

Knock-on
28th February 2012, 14:55
Kimi? You sure?

Would have thought Jens has more followers.

Edit

Just found this. I don't know the make-up of F1fanatics fan base but some interesting stats here.

2012 F1 season: Most popular F1 drivers and teamsF1 Fanatic (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2012/02/24/popular-driver-start-2012-f1-season/)

jens
28th February 2012, 15:15
I'm talking about global fanbase. A poll that has Button and Hamilton ahead, is largely influenced by British voters.

I found one example about the popularity of drivers among global audience: Schumacher followed by Alonso and Räikkönen (at that moment a non-F1 driver!)
F1: FOTA survey shows Schumacher most famous F1 driver | News | Motorsport.com (http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fota-survey-shows-schumacher-most-famous-f1-driver/)

AndyL
28th February 2012, 15:43
Hamilton's possible exit from F1? Well, if he has a similar mindset as Montoya, then anything is possible. But certainly too early to discuss about that.

Bernie was referring to the possibility of him leaving McLaren. The "end of [his] career in F1" and "turning his back on the sport" nonsense is just the usual crash.net BS.

Knock-on
28th February 2012, 15:49
Afraid that survey is a bit misleading. For a start it relates to 12 months ago when Kimi had recently left F1 to go to WRC and secondly it's not about popularity at all. It specifically asks and refers to the most Famous F1 driver. Shumy was named as the best known F1 driver which is hardly surprising.

Knock-on
28th February 2012, 15:53
Bernie was referring to the possibility of him leaving McLaren. The "end of [his] career in F1" and "turning his back on the sport" nonsense is just the usual crash.net BS.

Crash and Bernie. Match made in heaven.

When Bernie opens his gob, it's usually rhetoric or sensationalism but when you marry that to Crash, gawd help us :laugh:

SGWilko
28th February 2012, 19:09
One day,

When Bernie opens his gob, all that will appear will be cobwebs.......