PDA

View Full Version : Proton's future plans?

J.Lindstroem
14th February 2012, 17:03
I remember in the end of-09 there was a bit of talk about proton being interested in Wrc in the future. Rumours have been quiet for some time now, and i just got to ask if anybody has heard anything about that? Since they entered two cars in the SWRC this season, there has to be some interest?

Maybe not the best thread start ever but what are you thoughts? Will we see them in the Wrc some time?

/ J.Lindstroem

A.F.F.
14th February 2012, 19:17
MIght have been that time when the regulations were unclair, meaning what machinery will be used in WRC. Similar rumours in different levels were about all the manufacturers who made a prototype of S2000....

Barreis
14th February 2012, 19:26
It would be so good to have one more manufacturer.

rallyfiend
14th February 2012, 19:59
Proton has recently been sold by the Malaysian Government, and given it's current loss making situation, I would think it would be a while before their new equity owners embark on too much more expensive motorsport.

There seems to be a few question marks over how long they'll tolerate the money being spent by subsidiary Lotus in F1.

Roy
23rd February 2012, 15:09
News (8 december 2011) about Proton. They talks about partnership with GM.

"GM isn’t interested in buying the controlling 43 percent stake in Proton"

GM Said to Revive Partnership Discussions With Malaysia (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-12-08/gm-said-to-revive-partnership-discussions-with-malaysia-s-proton-holdings.html)

Sulland
23rd February 2012, 17:00
And it is a long time since Opel was seriously involved in rally. Ascona/Manta 400, and a bit Calibra, but a lot has happened since then. We also have the Corsa S2000 project, but that was done by independents.
Chevy are into Touring car, but maybe when same engine comes into play?

navtheace
30th October 2012, 18:03
What's the latest with Proton these days?

Are they staying with the S2000 2 litre cars for 2013?

Website is little vague with a link for 2011 and the S2000 link just staying on same page

http://corporate.proton.com/Motorsports/About-Proton-Motorsports.aspx/

A FONDO
30th October 2012, 18:13
The latest these days is they lost the asian title from a private amateur team.

Mikkaki
30th October 2012, 18:35

*A private amateur team with latest spec Skoda fabia S2000*

Mirek
30th October 2012, 18:54
Proton was running DMack in APRC.

Hartusvuori
30th October 2012, 19:29

Just out of curiosity, from where springs your interest (love?) for rallying?

Maui J.
30th October 2012, 22:30
Time for Proton to enter the big league and launch the brand on the world stage. SWRC and APRC get very little coverage, just take a look at the hits of APRC on Youtube, basically nothing.

The top tier of the WRC is one of the best ways to promote the all roundness of your brand. Subaru are proof of that.

I remember reading an article from a Chinese motoring journalist (yes I Know Proton are from Malaysia), he said the only way that Chinese car brands will ever get international respect in to enter in international motorsport.
The same goes for Proton. It doesn't matter that they will get beaten by the likes of Citroen and Volkswagen, that fact that they are competing in the top level will earn them kudos.

EightGear
30th October 2012, 22:47
Time for Proton to enter the big league and launch the brand on the world stage. SWRC and APRC get even less coverage than WRC

Fixed it for you. ;)

I agree about the Proton story. They have not been too bad this year in SWRC and PGA can even still become champion.

Rally Hokkaido
30th October 2012, 23:20
Proton's 2013 rally programme is uncertain. The new owners (basically one set of government bureaucrats replacing a different set!) at first tried to stop everything this year, just before the APRC round here in Japan, but were persuaded/realised it would generate a lot of negative publicity. The company suffers from internal and external politics in Malaysia. The upside is that their S2000 cars still feature heavily in their general advertising & marketing, though that could also change now that they have lost the APRC title.

Mirek
2nd November 2012, 11:37
According to Pluto's article on autosport.cz Proton company decided to stop with the S2000.

skarderud
2nd November 2012, 21:05
For us people that not understand "tsjekkish" this means no more protons at all?

Mirek
3rd November 2012, 07:03
As we have seen almost no private Protons through the years I guess You are right.

Sulland
3rd November 2012, 08:48
MEM should focus on R5 imo. They have gained valuable experience in S2000, so should be easy for them to convert !

Mirek
3rd November 2012, 09:07
If Proton stops all financing they can do nothing.

navtheace
3rd November 2012, 14:18
Proton need to sort their business out of selling normal run of the mill road cars to the public before pumping $$$$$ into rallying.