PDA

View Full Version : Worst road you have ever driven on

RaikkonenRules
24th March 2007, 20:10
What was the worst, most boring or tedious road you have driven on.

Rollo
25th March 2007, 00:18
It would have to be the 405 from San Diego to Los Angeles during the afternoon peak period. 3 million people moving as fast as they can on an "Expressway" at between 3 & 5 mph.

Erki
25th March 2007, 00:35
I hate to do anti-advertising, but very many if not most of the streets in my home town(Tartu) are full of holes, sometimes I can't drive faster than 30kph(20mph) because I'm afraid the car would break down. :o We've got a Safari here. :)

cosmicpanda
25th March 2007, 12:20
the last few kilometres of State Highway 1 up to the very tip of New Zealand (Cape Reinga) are all gravel. The last time I drove that, it was in pretty bad shape, with big corrugations, potholes and ruts. Nice views though.

DavePI2
25th March 2007, 12:35
I-70 from Denver to Topeka. 600 miles of straight , flat road.

David

A.F.F.
25th March 2007, 13:58

David

:eek: That's gotta be boring.

RaikkonenRules
25th March 2007, 18:27

David

Sounds like a longer version of the M180. That is flat and boring. Only real feature is a large bridge over the Trent. It's very empty too even during rush hour.

Eki
25th March 2007, 20:30
It would have to be the 405 from San Diego to Los Angeles during the afternoon peak period. 3 million people moving as fast as they can on an "Expressway" at between 3 & 5 mph.
Been there, done that.

555-04Q2
26th March 2007, 15:37
What was the worst, most boring or tedious road you have driven on.

Our most busy highway, the N3 between Durban and Johannesburg. 600 Km of mostly straight road lined by cornfield after cornfield after cornfield :(

Easy Drifter
26th March 2007, 16:33
Trans Canada Highway. Manitoba to mid Alberta. Flat. straight and boring. One thing about Sask. though. When your dog runs away you can watch him go for three days.

LotusElise
26th March 2007, 20:43
The M25.

dont_be_jack
26th March 2007, 21:19
I94 from the Wisconsin-Illinois Border to Milwaukee. It's nothing but a straight road for about 40 miles. Only begins to curve when you get to Milwaukee.

The 90/94 section of the Kennedy in Chicago can be a bit tedious if you're not used to old expressways that are built with loads of curves and a good angle of banking.

RaikkonenRules
26th March 2007, 21:35
The 90/94 section of the Kennedy in Chicago can be a bit tedious if you're not used to old expressways that are built with loads of curves and a good angle of banking.

I think alot of people would love banked highways. None of those accross the pond :(

dont_be_jack
26th March 2007, 23:41
I think alot of people would love banked highways. None of those accross the pond :(

It is fun and I never noticed just how steep some of the curves are until today when there was some terrible traffic jams as I got closer to downtown. When you take them slow, you realize that it's got a pretty good banking on it.

ian959
27th March 2007, 05:33
Don't really know why but I always find the Great Eastern Highway between Southern Cross and Coolgardie in Western Australia very, very boring (often have difficulty keeping awake on this section of the trans-continental drive). The North West Coastal Highway between Northampton and Carnarvon is also pretty boring - flat and rather dull scenery, not helped by a couple of long, straight sections of road.

Worst road I ever drove on was the old road from Cervantes down to The Pinnacles in Western Australia. First time I ever did that, the road was shocking and more closely resembled a collection of adjacent potholes the size of mortar craters rather than an actual road. You sort of disappeared down the front edge of the potholes and climbed back up the back edge...

Mind you the road through the Porongorups the first time we drove it way back when was pretty bad - it was like one giant pothole the entire length of the road.

Storm
4th April 2007, 07:29
Plenty of roads in really bad shape in my country....but perhaps the most boring roads to drive on was the I-40 on my way to Atlanta..or any Interstate for that matter...except that part near the Smoky Mountains or is that the I-85 :s

Tomski
4th April 2007, 09:03
M6, M1 to Preston, the true road from hell.

DavePI2
4th April 2007, 22:34
just watch what you say about u.s. interstates. Don't be too hard on Ohio highways anyway. I am a road construction inspector for the ohio department of transportation.

David

grassrootsracer
9th April 2007, 04:51
Worst quality road: Any road in Montgomery, AL
Most boring drive: anywhere in Kansas, south east Texas to the US/Mexican border, Atlanta to Savannah, GA

jim mcglinchey
13th April 2007, 10:24
We're just back from the Trossachs.....beautiful, but that road from Aberfoyle to Kinlochard by the bonney, bonney banks of Loch Ard was awful. Narrow, twisty and very badly survfaced, beautful mind, but even I was travel sick after a few miles.

Iain
15th April 2007, 22:02
You're right there. Beautiful scenery, but the roads are very rough. Worst road I've ever been on is the M8 motorway. How a 2 lane road like that is supposed to cope with the volume of traffic between 2 major cities is beyond me.