PDA

View Full Version : US Republican Primaries

ShiftingGears
4th February 2012, 23:58
Who do you think is going to win? Why? Who do you want to win?

I think Romney is most likely at the moment, unless Paul makes serious inroads in Nevada and Maine, (Gingrich and Santorum haven't qualified for delegates in all states).

I don't think Romney actually stands for anything - he stands for political expediency. I hope Ron Paul wins the nomination, very ideologically consistent, and I think what he stands for made the US such a prosperous country.

Your thoughts.

Jag_Warrior
5th February 2012, 01:12
Romney has had it in the bag since Day 1. Only if he'd been caught in a cheap motel with a live teenage boy or a dead teenage girl could he have lost the nomination. Even among the wingnut base that currently controls the GOP, all of the others were too flawed to have a realistic chance.

What does Romney stand for? He just wants to be President. Simple as that. I have no idea how he (actually) feels about any particular issue. He seems to be on every side of every issue, from what I've seen. And whether the economy dramatically improves from here or not, I still think Romney has at least a 50/50 shot of being the next President - especially if he picks a running mate that is acceptable to the wingnuts on the far right. As far as where he would lead the country, I think that is totally anybody's wild guess.

driveace
5th February 2012, 02:06
Is anyone of these contenders,strong enough to challenge Obama?
Thought most of America,thought well of Obama

Rollo
5th February 2012, 02:13
I am prepared to make a rash prediction that at the end of the election cycle, we'll be left with Mitt Romney as the Republican hope for the presidency; running with Florida Senator Marco Rubio. Rubio sits firmly in the "Tea Party" and with the GOP moving steadily to the right anyway, I think he'd be the most palatable choice that the Republicans can muster for the Vice-Presidency.

I also think that it's pretty well a foregone conclusion that Obama will run again for the Democrats but I think that Hilary Clinton will be his running mate. Basically Hilary would replace Joe Biden, and he'd replace her as Secretary of State.

So that's with I think, Romney-Rubio vs Obama-Clinton in November. I think all of then are poor choices for the presidency but then again, I don't see either party as actually capable of putting up candidates who are prepared to make serious changes to the US economy because both party machines were bought off a long time ago.

Bob Riebe
5th February 2012, 03:57
Who do you think is going to win?

Romney, he was and is the Rinos and Washington insiders favorite. The Republican power brokers knew most of the other challengers threatened their control.

The press and whom ever floated lies about Cain, destroyed his run.

Bachman forgot it is measure twice, cut once. Not cut once and then go back and measure your errors.

Gingrich is his own worst enemy.

Paul is like Kucinich, some good ideas no grasp of reality.

If Santorum came across with the same confident attitude styke he shows in interviews, when he debated, he might have had a chance. But in the debates he always looked ill at ease.

Jag_Warrior
5th February 2012, 04:41
Is anyone of these contenders,strong enough to challenge Obama?
Thought most of America,thought well of Obama

As to how Americans view him, many/most seem to think of Obama as the least dirty shirt in the hamper. His personal approval ratings are higher than those for Congressional Democrats, Congressional Republicans and all of the Republican challengers, as far as I know. But considering what complete tools most of those people are, that's still not saying much. If Romney picks a conservative, like Rubio, who is well liked by Hispanics here, that will be a REAL game changer. And if Obama pulls one out of the hat and puts Hillary on the ticket, that too will be a real game changer.

But I think most of it is going to come down to what the economic trends look like through the summer. The unemployment data shocked everyone. So if that trend continues and Europe/Greece doesn't implode, it could be a real dogfight by November.

F1boat
6th February 2012, 17:17
While I am no fan of the GOP, I think that Romney is a decent choice. He may be a bit of a crook, but he is not a Christofascist like Rick Sanatorium, radical like Dr. Ron Paul (who I respect, BTW), or simply vile as Newt Gingrich (Nute Gunray ;) ). If the big election is between Barrack and Mitt, I will hope that Obama wins, but for me it won't be a big deal if Romney wins. The others scare me.

Rollo
6th February 2012, 21:59
But considering what complete tools most of those people are, that's still not saying much. If Romney picks a conservative, like Rubio, who is well liked by Hispanics here, that will be a REAL game changer. And if Obama pulls one out of the hat and puts Hillary on the ticket, that too will be a real game changer.

The reason why I suggested that the Republicans would pick Rubio is thus. The way that the Electoral College works is that a state gets a "vote" based on their representation in both houses. The Republicans need to flip several blue states and they're more likely to do that in the fly-over states. New Mexico and Colorado are probably the easiest to flip. They're probably also likely to do that in states like North Carolina, Indiana, Wisconson and Michigan.
Florida though is one of the six 20 vote states. It'll be easier to flip Florida if Rubio is the VP ticket because he's from Florida and it's always easier playing at home.

For the Democrats although Obama-Biden is a known quantity, if they want to retain the Presidency after Obama's second term, then by that stage the whole game will have shifted twice. Having Hilary as the Democrat's VP ticket gives them a chance at succession planning.

Jefe Máximo
6th February 2012, 22:25
The press and whom ever floated lies about Cain, destroyed his run.

:laugh:

I needed that.

Jefe Máximo
6th February 2012, 22:31
Seriously though, there is little doubt that this one is Romney's. His only realy threat is Gingrich and that says a lot..

BBC had a snippet about the spending power of the candidates, on their campaign. In Florida, Romney had something like 13,000 ads in the run in to the primary, while Gingrich had only 200.

The man is rich and bones a different wife every day of the week. His opposition (bar Ron Paul, though even he is a spent force) are a bunch of also-rans. The only shame is Sarah Palin not running.

Rollo
6th February 2012, 22:36
The only shame is Sarah Palin not running.

If we turn this into a comedy show, Jimmy McMillan is running for the Republicans presumably with the same policies that the Rent is Too Damn High; and Vermin Supreme for the Democrats with a policy of giving everyone in America a free pony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d_FvgQ1csE