PDA

View Full Version : Please help me!

pierrem37
24th January 2012, 09:32
Hey everyone! :)

I have to confess, even though I知 a true motorsport fan (particularly F1), I did sign up to the forum out of interest, and here痴 why:

I知 in my final year at The University of Edinburgh and I知 required to conduct my own research for my dissertation topic: The impact of Formula 1 sponsorship on the consumer. To be more accurate, I need to validate my hypothesis by conducting a quantitative research which, unfortunately for me, means a massive number of respondents needed for my survey. In fact I need close to 1000 respondents, which is why I really need your help to achieve anything close to this.

Here痴 a link to the survey which is totally anonymous:

http://kwiksurveys.com/?s=OBIMLM_a7002633

Thank you very much indeed for helping me! Really appreciate it :) :)

Brown, Jon Brow
24th January 2012, 10:57
I did a similar dissertation. Mine was called 'Win on Sunday, sell on Monday- does motor racing sell cars?'

I looked at whether manufacturer involvement in F1 helps them sell cars by looking at the impact it has on potential consumers. I found it helped very little.

But another question is have you done any qualitative research? If you feel you have to do quantitative research to validate a hypothesis then I recommend that you do some qualitative research before. This will help you develop better questions for your quantitative research.

pierrem37
24th January 2012, 11:07
I did a similar dissertation. Mine was called 'Win on Sunday, sell on Monday- does motor racing sell cars?'

I looked at whether manufacturer involvement in F1 helps them sell cars by looking at the impact it has on potential consumers. I found it helped very little.

But another question is have you done any qualitative research? If you feel you have to do quantitative research to validate a hypothesis then I recommend that you do some qualitative research before. This will help you develop better questions for your quantitative research.

I haven't done any qualitative research for the simple reason that it already has been done other academics who researched the impact of sports sponsorship on consumers. I'm using a slightly amemded version of a questionnaire which relates to a particular framework of sponsorship response. Furthermore, the questionnaire has been tested on multiple occasions.

Thank you very much for participating!

Brown, Jon Brow
25th January 2012, 20:12
You must also be aware that using the internet, and especially a motorsport forum , you are introducing bias into your sample. The views of a motorsport forum do not represent the views of the popluation as a whole, as a result your sample is no longer random.

Rollo
26th January 2012, 02:09

Did you look at other forms of motorsport?

Subaru I'm sure garnered extra sales because of their involvement in rallying. One could argue it helped build the pedigree.
Holden and Ford in Australia for a very long time held the number 1 & 2 sales spots before the market moved on and decided to buy smaller cars.
I wonder if Vauxhall's involvement in the BTCC for the best part of a decade and a half helped to sell Astras in the UK.

Probably being involved in F1 is too broad a strategy to sell motor cars in any given market but maybe there is a quantitative correlation on specific marketing within specific countries? I don't know.

Brown, Jon Brow
1st February 2012, 21:10
Did you look at other forms of motorsport?

Subaru I'm sure garnered extra sales because of their involvement in rallying. One could argue it helped build the pedigree.
Holden and Ford in Australia for a very long time held the number 1 & 2 sales spots before the market moved on and decided to buy smaller cars.
I wonder if Vauxhall's involvement in the BTCC for the best part of a decade and a half helped to sell Astras in the UK.

Probably being involved in F1 is too broad a strategy to sell motor cars in any given market but maybe there is a quantitative correlation on specific marketing within specific countries? I don't know.

In my literature review I read much about Subaru. You are correct that the entire Subaru brand is built upon the rallying success of the Legacy then Impreza. Jaguar is another company that built its brand around motorsport.

But for my own primary research I looked at the F1 activities of Renault and Mercedes-Benz. Of the few people who were actually aware of these companies involvement in F1 they claimed it didn't make any difference if they were considering to buy a Renault or Mercedes. Interestingly, of people aware of Mercedes in F1, it was because of Mclaren and the Hamilton/Button effect. Not because of the Mercedes GP team.