PDA

View Full Version : Car of Today

colinspooky
24th March 2007, 01:24
Just watching Bristol qualifying on TVU - Lordy, those cars are ugly looking.

:confused:

SmokeFan20
24th March 2007, 01:57
I thought they looked good during qualifying.
They're light years ahead of the Cars Of Yesterday in looks, IMO.
With all the distorting teams to the bodies to get an aero advantage, the COY's look like they've been wrecked before they even hit the race track.

harvick#1
24th March 2007, 02:08
The only thing that needs to be fixed is the sides of the Rear wing, they are way to big and need to be trimmed down

blakebeatty
24th March 2007, 03:18
i thought that they looked SO SWEET in race paint. the fusion looks way more like a fusion like the old car. I can't wait for the race.

Hoss Ghoul
24th March 2007, 08:33
The only thing that needs to be fixed is the sides of the Rear wing, they are way to big and need to be trimmed down

Function over form on that one.

Erki
24th March 2007, 09:51
The rear wing should be even bigger, it should be like a Top Fuel dragster's rear wing. :p :

dont_be_jack
24th March 2007, 15:19
I've got no problems with the CoT. I think it looks better than the CoY and actually looks closer to a street car in shape than the CoY. Yea, the splitter makes it pretty non-street, but the shape is a bit better.

Lee Roy
24th March 2007, 16:09
Wait till you see what they look like after 500 laps at Bristol :D :D ;)

dont_be_jack
24th March 2007, 16:12
Wait till you see what they look like after 500 laps at Bristol :D :D ;)

Yea, I can't think of a worse place to debut them...going to be nothing but a waste of money and time spent on something that'll look like it's been through a demo derby by the end of the race.

veeten
24th March 2007, 16:51
Interesting... how the explanation of the onboard RFID chips are used, basically as a way for NASCAR to determine if a chassis has been 'tampered' with as well as certification. If this works well, you might see other series look at it as a way to maintain chassis legality. :)

Lee Roy
24th March 2007, 17:41
Yea, I can't think of a worse place to debut them...going to be nothing but a waste of money and time spent on something that'll look like it's been through a demo derby by the end of the race.

Hey, that isn't all bad. I heard that NASCAR was having to loosen some of the tolerances in inspection on some of these first cars. They probably needed a lot of work anyway. ;)

harvick#1
24th March 2007, 17:51
yeah they said Montoya car took 6 hours for the inspection process :eek:

but the track that will be worse will be next week ;) Martinsville will be a wreck fest

call_me_andrew
24th March 2007, 20:26
i thought that they looked SO SWEET in race paint. the fusion looks way more like a fusion like the old car. I can't wait for the race.

And the schozberries taste like schozberries, but that doesn't mean Wonka isn't using artificial flavors.

GARYGAZZA
24th March 2007, 21:46
Could be interesting if a front spoiler or a rear wing is destroyed in a wreck?
I wonder how long it would take the pit crews to replace and if it would make the car dangerous to drive if you could not replace.I guess Nascar has thought of the later.Probably would not make a difference at Bristol but it may on a super speedway.Only time will tell.

brudan
26th March 2007, 05:00
The COT is looks closer to the cars we see on the street than the cars we have been seeing on the track. I can remember the drivers complaining about the new body styles when the manufacturers went to the shorter wheel base car in the early 80's. The COT will be a success.

dont_be_jack
26th March 2007, 12:51
Could be interesting if a front spoiler or a rear wing is destroyed in a wreck?
I wonder how long it would take the pit crews to replace and if it would make the car dangerous to drive if you could not replace.I guess Nascar has thought of the later.Probably would not make a difference at Bristol but it may on a super speedway.Only time will tell.

Actually, you cannot re-enter the track unless you have both the splitter and the wing. NASCAR knows that the car becomes unstable if you lose either one.

Lee Roy
26th March 2007, 13:51
Actually, you cannot re-enter the track unless you have both the splitter and the wing. NASCAR knows that the car becomes unstable if you lose either one.

Maybe it will keep some of the rolling wrecks off the track. I certainly hope so. I get tired of them rolling around strowing debris on the track.

dont_be_jack
26th March 2007, 15:06
Maybe it will keep some of the rolling wrecks off the track. I certainly hope so. I get tired of them rolling around strowing debris on the track.

Me too. It's almost a disgrace to put that car out there looking like junk when, honestly, when it takes you that long to repair it enough to run the minimum speed you're not going to pick up position anymore.

Lee Roy
26th March 2007, 16:59
Me too. It's almost a disgrace to put that car out there looking like junk when, honestly, when it takes you that long to repair it enough to run the minimum speed you're not going to pick up position anymore.

Sometimes they do. I remember Benny Parsons won the 1973 championship by rebuilding a wrecked car in the last race of the year and gaining enough points.

dont_be_jack
26th March 2007, 19:41
Sometimes they do. I remember Benny Parsons won the 1973 championship by rebuilding a wrecked car in the last race of the year and gaining enough points.

Sometimes, but it's not often. You have to wreck at the right time to be able to do something like that.

Lee Roy
26th March 2007, 19:50
Sometimes, but it's not often. You have to wreck at the right time to be able to do something like that.

True

Sandfly
27th March 2007, 08:22
They look like.....trams-am cars

Abo
27th March 2007, 10:08

The chase has surely killed off this scenario?

Abo
27th March 2007, 10:09
I don't think they look that bad on the track. Maybe it's my European eyes though ;)

It was annoying all the random shots of splitters and wings during e.g. caution laps though...

Lee Roy
27th March 2007, 10:58

How's that?

blakebeatty
27th March 2007, 13:18

and is that a bad thing?

Lee Roy
27th March 2007, 13:35
Again, that scenario could just as easily happen under the "chase" as it did before. Nothing has changed.

dont_be_jack
27th March 2007, 14:16
Well, it's possible that if the points lead were so minimal in the last race of the season that yes, the Chase could've possibly made it impossible for someone to win the championship that way, but you can still earn points each race by doing this if you luck out.

cgs
27th March 2007, 14:17
it could still happen in the few races before the chase if someone in 12th or 13th spot was wrecked eary on and got back onto the track to try and make the chase in the first place

Lee Roy
27th March 2007, 14:46
I remember one year, during the early 1990's, the Dale Earnhardt was leading in the points going into the last race of the year at Atlanta. He had to finish 42nd or somewhere around there to win the championship. Richard Childress entered another car with Neil Bonnett driving. Somehow that car developed engine trouble soon into the event . . . ;) D)

dont_be_jack
27th March 2007, 16:05
it could still happen in the few races before the chase if someone in 12th or 13th spot was wrecked eary on and got back onto the track to try and make the chase in the first place

Yes, that's to make the Chase. But that's not to win the Chase.

Lee Roy
27th March 2007, 17:10
Yes, that's to make the Chase. But that's not to win the Chase.

Let's say you went into the last race in the chase and needed 42nd place points to win the championship but wrecked and were scored in 43rd early in the race. Your crew repairs the car and you go back and make enough laps to be scored ahead of the car that blew an engine just after you wrecked and get scored in 42nd place.

Tell me what the chase has to do with that?

Lee Roy
27th March 2007, 17:37
However the more I think about it, I think that even though it is mathematically possible, it is almost entirely unlikely.

So, for all practical purposes, the chase has eliminated a situation like Parsons in 1973.

blakebeatty
27th March 2007, 17:42
I think that the moral of the story here is that the likelyhood this scenario occurring is greatly diminished. And anyone who might use this scenario to argue against the chase should give their head a shake.

NASCAR8
29th March 2007, 18:03
I just don't know what NASCAR are thinking anymore,"ugly" is one word,I'd say EMBARRASSING.

Lee Roy
29th March 2007, 20:14
I just don't know what NASCAR are thinking anymore,"ugly" is one word,I'd say EMBARRASSING.

So don't watch.

Vez
31st March 2007, 15:30
I didn't know quite where to put this article, but this seemed a good place, as it's about the COT:

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/03/30/cot.safety.issues.martinsville/index.html

This is slightly worrying don't you think? Though I'm sure the teams can sort it out.

Peter Olivola
31st March 2007, 16:46
This isn't the first time NASCAR has had a CO problem and it probably won't be the last. NASCAR isn't the only sanctioning body that has had the problem. The only way this is permanently dealt with is to do away with carbon based fuels, but be careful what you wish for. Tailpipe emissions from anything but pure hydrogen breathing pure oxygen will produce something dangerous, noxious or both.

I didn't know quite where to put this article, but this seemed a good place, as it's about the COT:

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/03/30/cot.safety.issues.martinsville/index.html

This is slightly worrying don't you think? Though I'm sure the teams can sort it out.

Mark in Oshawa
31st March 2007, 17:23
I think the new cars are different, but to fans of road racing or Touring Cars, the COT cars are not that weird. Do I think the COT cars are worth the fuss they have created? yes and no. It has been a great PR boon for NASCAR, giving people something else to talk about, and they get more control over the cars by bringing in the COT rules, but safety concerns were being addressed in the older cars, and I liked racing the way it was. That said, the COT aint going away, and I think they will race alright. I never thought they wouldn't, I just didn't see what was so broke about NASCAR that we needed the COT. It isnt like no one is watching or they are hurting for fans....

RaceFanStan
31st March 2007, 17:58
I hope everyone can start looking for positives of the COT.
I like the COT & I think it will make the racing great.
For me, the boo-birds are getting boring & their arguments lacking. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

Peter Olivola
31st March 2007, 18:16
The COT is the next step in cost control. The wheels are turning slowly, but they are turning and NASCAR will eventually catch up with late 20th century technology. :D

I think the new cars are different, but to fans of road racing or Touring Cars, the COT cars are not that weird. Do I think the COT cars are worth the fuss they have created? yes and no. It has been a great PR boon for NASCAR, giving people something else to talk about, and they get more control over the cars by bringing in the COT rules, but safety concerns were being addressed in the older cars, and I liked racing the way it was. That said, the COT aint going away, and I think they will race alright. I never thought they wouldn't, I just didn't see what was so broke about NASCAR that we needed the COT. It isnt like no one is watching or they are hurting for fans....

Vez
31st March 2007, 18:32
For me, the boo-birds are getting boring & their arguments lacking. http://www.motorsportforum.com/forums/images/icons/tongue-anim.gif

I wasn't nay-saying the COT, I was just posting an interesting article that I found, me being new to NASCAR and all, I don't have a problem with what style the car is, as long as it gives good racing.

I say let 'em race and enjoy the show :up:

(I know you weren't aiming this directly at me, but as a general comment to everyone, I just felt like replying to it.) :p

Lee Roy
31st March 2007, 21:43

Everybody just likes to b*^%h and complain. After a while they'll find something else to b*^%h and complain about.

Mark in Oshawa
2nd April 2007, 02:04
LeeRoy, that is the right of a fan on this forum to state an opinion. Every time you don't like someone's opinion, you dump on it like they have no right to complain. Let's face it though, if NASCAR is smart, they will at least listen and address fan concerns if there are a number of fans out there that don't like something.

I just watched enough of Martinsville today to know that I am warming up to the COT. Maybe most of the carping and whining will die down. I do know it has added something to this season that wasn't around before, but until they race this car on a intermediate track, we wont know what needs to be done to the COT to make it better. Short track racing is good for bringing in the new car to get us fans used to it, but the whole problem if any the old car had as a race car was the aero push on the intermediate courses. If the new car puts better racing on the track at places like California, Charlotte and Kansas, then we know the COT was the right move.

Rollo
3rd April 2007, 14:35
I have only just started watching NASCAR properly of late (thanks to moving into a house with Foxtel) and speaking as someone who has grown up with the BTCC, seen wings and things all over WRC cars and the equivalent big cars in the V8 Supercars, my only real gripe with the rear wing on these cars is that in the world of NASCAR advertising, they appear to be a bit of an uncolourful afterthought.

Admittedly you do want close racing and hence the reason why the wings and roof profile are governed by regulation, but asthetically they're not super-wonderful. If they do the job though, then that's what matters eh?

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
4th April 2007, 11:18
My first post so hello all. I have been a NASCAR fan for a long time, and every time NASCAR makes a change some teams struggle at first. There is alot of new aspects on the COT, so we need to give more time for teams to get used to it. it is way to early to judge. Bristol wasnt great but Martinsville was a good race. Remember NASCAR is righting the rule book for these cars as they go. the foam issue will be solved and teams need to look into the braking systems heating that right side.

there was always going to be teething issues. the real test for these cars will be larger tracks. My only gripe so far is that they should have just switched to the COT full time over the off season, im not sure what NASCARs reasoning was for the phasing in.

Jonesi
4th April 2007, 12:20
My only gripe so far is that they should have just switched to the COT full time over the off season, im not sure what NASCARs reasoning was for the phasing in.

Let's try a few possibilities:

1. Nascar still isn't sure how the cars will run at high speed in a pack.

2. No team could afford to switch over in one year. Normal car switchover is about 2-3 years. Top teams sold their used cars to mid pack teams who sold their old stuff to the grid fillers or to West or North series. Mandating the switch (so old cars can't run) cut the resale value maybe 75%.

3. Nobody can build enough cars fast enough. I've heard Jack Roush say they build about 1 car a week. The Roush five team fleet is about 80 cars (5 teams about 15 cars per team plus some development cars).

4. Don't want to build too many cars early, because the car will probably still be changed somewhat. I'm willing to bet that between Nascar mandated changes & team development, the Hendrick & Gibbs cars that were so dominent the last two races, are no longer competitive by the end of the year and are sold off.

Bob Riebe
4th April 2007, 16:55
I am curious as to what the "official" line will be whent he first person gets killed in one of these things?

dont_be_jack
5th April 2007, 15:23
I am curious as to what the "official" line will be whent he first person gets killed in one of these things?

Are you implying that it'll be happening soon? I don't think it'll happen that soon.

RaceFanStan
5th April 2007, 16:42
Hopefully a driver won't die in a COT, the car is designed to be safer & I think it will be !

With the advent of the Hans Device, softer walls & now the COT, the drivers have a better chance of survival.

Late in the season of 2002, Sterling Marlin "broke his neck" in a crash ...
it was a basal skull fracture similar to the one that killed Dale Earnhardt in 2001 ...
Sterling's injury wasn't as severe as Dale's because Sterling was wearing a Hans Device ...

The softer walls are also working because most drivers that have hit them have walked away uninjured ...
crashes that would have broken bones before the softer walls are now taken with only a little bruising ...

NASCAR is gaining big advances in making the racing safer, I like that. :D :up: