PDA

View Full Version : US-based human rights group says Iraq is becoming a 'police state'

Eki
22nd January 2012, 17:02
I thought Iraq WAS a police state, before it became an anarchy. Only the table has turned. Was it worth to try and change Iraq?

Read more: US-based Human Rights Group Says Iraq Is Becoming A 'police State' | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/01/22/us-based-human-rights-group-says-iraq-is-becoming-police-state/?intcmp=trending#ixzz1kCulaJvf)

BAGHDAD – Iraq's Shiite-led government cracked down harshly on dissent during the past year of Arab Spring uprisings, turning the country into a "budding police state" as autocratic regimes crumbled elsewhere in the region, an international rights groups said Sunday.

Rudy Tamasz
23rd January 2012, 07:45
I believe nobody doubts that there has been a lot of human rights abuse in Iraq. I question the integrity of that human rights group, though.

Knock-on
23rd January 2012, 12:40
Oh, the sweet irony :D

schmenke
23rd January 2012, 15:47
It has been mentioned before that implementing a “western” type government or democratic values within a nation whose people are strongly divided either secularly or culturally is challenging at best.

BDunnell
23rd January 2012, 18:53
I believe nobody doubts that there has been a lot of human rights abuse in Iraq. I question the integrity of that human rights group, though.

On what grounds, precisely? The fact you were in favour of the war, perchance?

Rudy Tamasz
24th January 2012, 06:31
On what grounds, precisely? The fact you were in favour of the war, perchance?

You life will be much easier if you look at what's said and what's done without making assumptions.

Just for the record I did not favor that war. I thought the U.S. had a perfect right to go to war if they faced a real threat to their security, but Saddam's regime just wasn't that dangerous. In short, the war was a mistake.

Speaking of Human Rights Watch, they have a strong political bias and highly questionable fundraising practices. They are not a trustworthy resource on human rights for me. That said, I fully understand the grim situation with human rights in ante- and post-war Iraq.

BDunnell
24th January 2012, 13:13
Just for the record I did not favor that war. I thought the U.S. had a perfect right to go to war if they faced a real threat to their security, but Saddam's regime just wasn't that dangerous. In short, the war was a mistake.

Fair enough. My apologies.

Speaking of Human Rights Watch, they have a strong political bias and highly questionable fundraising practices. They are not a trustworthy resource on human rights for me.

Who is, then?

Rudy Tamasz
24th January 2012, 15:08
Who is, then?

If I were engaged in dealing with this issue I would review and critically analyze multiple resources, even including this one. Then I would do the triangulation and try to come up with a more or less objective conclusion. I am not involved in Iraqi affairs in any way, though, and my interest is purely theoretical. It was more of a manifestation of the researcher's instinct to point my finger at an untrustworthy source. I won't pretend I know a precise and positive answer to your question, though.

schmenke
25th January 2012, 14:30
If I were engaged in dealing with this issue I would review and critically analyze multiple resources, even including this one. Then I would do the triangulation and try to come up with a more or less objective conclusion.....

What the hell are you doing on this forum then? :p :

Rudy Tamasz
25th January 2012, 14:45
What the hell are you doing on this forum then? :p :

Letting my dark side loose... ;)