PDA

View Full Version : M-Sport Ford World Rally Teams

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Fast Eddie WRC
9th March 2017, 22:14
As I said at the time, the first two events of 2017 were the best chance for the others to take points off Ogier.

Meeke & Neuville could have blown their title chances already if Ogier gets his M-Sport Fiesta more to his liking...

Andre Oliveira
13th March 2017, 22:03
http://performance.ford.com/series/rally/news/articles/rally/2017/03/fiesta-wrc-leads-wrc-standings-after-three-races.html

Fast Eddie WRC
14th March 2017, 18:22
Auto-Hebdo:
After the Monte-Carlo Rally, the Frenchman seems to want to fight again for the victory at the 10,000 Virages Rally held on the weekend of April 9th.

"I think the Ford Fiesta will be very comfortable on the asphalt, maybe even more than on the ground ," said Sébastien Ogier. We are still too slow in the technical sectors, I am still struggling with the balance of the car. We have a planned test program and maybe we will change our approach with the settings. "

Fast Eddie WRC
5th April 2017, 16:32
Cars on beach holiday... :cool:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8pgxGgWsAABMtN.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8pgxGfXUAI6B3E.jpg

Francis44
5th April 2017, 19:56
I am not sure if it was like this before but notice how the One Bet ads no longer feature the word "Bet"?! I find that curious.

SubaruNorway
5th April 2017, 20:09
I am not sure if it was like this before but notice how the One Bet ads no longer feature the word "Bet"?! I find that curious.

Betting laws in France? In Norway they only have the cube and "It's all about the rush" on the R5

Fast Eddie WRC
5th April 2017, 21:14
The full 'ONE BET' wording is on Tanak's car at the service park ...

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/17807623_10154519717900678_3045984374951870807_o.j pg?oh=d26a47cce4d6e4c69c539f96e8997a9a&oe=595C2F5F

Sulland
5th April 2017, 22:14
Have M-Sport been able to adjust the diffs more to Ogiers liking for this rally?

dimviii
5th April 2017, 22:27
we will know after first day

jparker
5th April 2017, 22:37
we will know after first day
of Monte Carlo 2020?

danon
5th April 2017, 22:51
pathetic...

Cars on beach holiday... :cool:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8pgxGgWsAABMtN.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8pgxGfXUAI6B3E.jpg

Fast Eddie WRC
5th April 2017, 23:37
pathetic...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8k758lXUAA9nnz.jpg

EstWRC
9th April 2017, 20:20
Tänak saying in estonian media that they have a lot work to do with their car, reliability wise and speed wise. Saying that if even the champ is struggling on tarmac then there they have to come up with something. Understeer is their biggest problem.

Simmi
9th April 2017, 20:39
Tänak saying in estonian media that they have a lot work to do with their car, reliability wise and speed wise. Saying that if even the champ is struggling on tarmac then there they have to come up with something. Understeer is their biggest problem.

Yeah you got the sense that Ogier's patience ran out on this rally. Four rounds in and with a 13-point championship lead haha.

They wanted to sign the best and this is what you get. He takes no sh*t.

Reminds me of what Malcolm Wilson said when Carlos Sainz first linked up with the team when M-Sport took on the factory role. He basically laid down the law and demanded that they step up to his level. And I think Ogier will do the same now. They will welcome it I believe.

RAS007
9th April 2017, 21:18
Reminds me of what Malcolm Wilson said when Carlos Sainz first linked up with the team when M-Sport took on the factory role. He basically laid down the law and demanded that they step up to his level.

Which was totally understandable at the time, since it was basically still Malcolm Wilson Motorsport. But M-Sport has been a world rally team for 20 years now, so official factory backing or not, it's not like they're the new kid on the block anymore.

Simmi
9th April 2017, 22:45
Which was totally understandable at the time, since it was basically still Malcolm Wilson Motorsport. But M-Sport has been a world rally team for 20 years now, so official factory backing or not, it's not like they're the new kid on the block anymore.

Very true but look at the new benchmark VW set in the WRC. They changed the game, so there's surely lots M-Sport can do to improve. Okay a lot of that takes money - but some of it Ogier can help instigate.

jparker
9th April 2017, 23:36
Yeah you got the sense that Ogier's patience ran out on this rally. Four rounds in and with a 13-point championship lead haha.

They wanted to sign the best and this is what you get. He takes no sh*t.

Reminds me of what Malcolm Wilson said when Carlos Sainz first linked up with the team when M-Sport took on the factory role. He basically laid down the law and demanded that they step up to his level. And I think Ogier will do the same now. They will welcome it I believe.

I don't believe they will. MW is using WRC to make money. I don't see Ogier staying any longer than this season with them.

Fast Eddie WRC
25th April 2017, 16:14
Østberg team deveoping their Fiesta away from M-Sport:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129157/ostberg-takes-different-direction-to-msport

macebig
25th April 2017, 19:56
They can't really change anything.Group A days where anyone could use their own kit are long.Every part now is homologated by the manufacturer and there isn't an option for using something else.So, we are talikng about a few clicks on the suspension at best.Can they make any significant difference?I highly doubt it.

AnttiL
25th April 2017, 20:25
So, we are talikng about a few clicks on the suspension at best.

The diffs as well, but it must be mostly just setup stuff.

Mirek
25th April 2017, 20:30
They can't really change anything.Group A days where anyone could use their own kit are long.Every part now is homologated by the manufacturer and there isn't an option for using something else.So, we are talikng about a few clicks on the suspension at best.Can they make any significant difference?I highly doubt it.

Center differential mapping is quite a lot more than just few clicks. Also are You sure that what's inside dampers is all homologated?

AMSS
26th April 2017, 06:40
Center differential mapping is quite a lot more than just few clicks. Also are You sure that what's inside dampers is all homologated?

I`m not 100% sure about WRC but at least R5 than inside of dampers is completely free, basically only damper body is homolagated. And since the teams do so much suspension testing the shim setting must be free for WRC as well!

br21
26th April 2017, 08:25
You can modify all damper internals (I doubt Ostberg team did it), of course damper clicks, springs, ride height, anti-roll bars, track, wheel-base, balance, center diff mapping, setup of front and rear diffs. So basically you can make completely different car regarding the handling.

Mirek
26th April 2017, 09:49
You can modify all damper internals (I doubt Ostberg team did it), of course damper clicks, springs, ride height, anti-roll bars, track, wheel-base, balance, center diff mapping, setup of front and rear diffs. So basically you can make completely different car regarding the handling.

I`m not 100% sure about WRC but at least R5 than inside of dampers is completely free, basically only damper body is homolagated. And since the teams do so much suspension testing the shim setting must be free for WRC as well!

Thanks, that's exactly why I asked. I know that some teams use their own dampers on R5 cars but I was not sure about WRC.

Fast Eddie WRC
26th April 2017, 12:03
Østberg was saying that they werent getting the test findings on the best set-up from M-Sport. But if M-Sport arent running the car for him then why should they pass on their info ?

Btw, Bertelli is testing with M-Sport so he should get the latest improvements...

Simmi
27th April 2017, 13:42
Additional 'Fiesta' branding on the front intake.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-a4QXVXkAEC_Gm.jpg

Small things.

Andre Oliveira
27th April 2017, 13:59
Already had it on Tour de Corse ;)

Andre Oliveira
7th May 2017, 22:07
Yesterday and today, after finish test, Sébastien Ogier gone to crowd and take pics and talk with us. Many applauses to him. Great attitude.

https://scontent.fopo2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18402949_1724944627534957_5721595979527864690_n.jp g?oh=75f3bc727b276a26aa0536fbea9fa5d3&oe=59819D51

Andre Oliveira
11th May 2017, 22:54
What the hell??? Someone bought a new "old" Fiesta WRC

https://scontent.fopo2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18425229_1028732910590148_4501411965848692337_n.jp g?oh=55264f7b0df9458dd9298c2e8f2cb63f&oe=59BBD597

macebig
11th May 2017, 23:20
What the hell??? Someone bought a new "old" Fiesta WRC

https://scontent.fopo2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18425229_1028732910590148_4501411965848692337_n.jp g?oh=55264f7b0df9458dd9298c2e8f2cb63f&oe=59BBD597

https://www.ewrc-results.com/driver_info.php?e=40435&d=1467266&t=Plains-Rally-2017
https://mtc1.uk/Entry/Plains17/EntryList.php

Simmi
17th May 2017, 08:48
Malcolm Wilson said in today's Motorsport News he will have no issues applying team orders to make sure he wins the drivers championship with one of his drivers.

"I want to win the drivers' championship and this is the best chance I've had and, from where I'm standing right now, it could be my last chance to do that."

So clearly he isn't convinced Seb is coming back next year.

Also interesting and something I hadn't read regarding Ogier's issues in Argentina. Malcolm thinks they went the wrong way on diff set up. Ogier had tested and liked a new spec diff in pre-event testing. They only had two sets of these differentials and Ogier wanted them both. So he was running a different set-up which just didn't work, and also led to increased tyre wear versus his team-mates.

Tarmop
17th May 2017, 10:00
Could be that or maybe he is referring to tight competition...also we know that they can`t say anything. Tänak for example had the contract several months before the end of 2016 season (and yes, we can`t say that all goes according to the contracts, but...).

Fast Eddie WRC
17th May 2017, 11:18
Makes sense to maximise your leading driver's points where possible. I'm sure other teams will do the same ie. Hyundai to help Neuville. Winning the WDC is arguably greater publicity than winning the Manufacturers.

Watson
17th May 2017, 13:07
The funny thing is that he already let Tanak finish in front of Ogier in Sweden and Argentina. I am not a fan of team orders but it is what it is.

Also he might just say it to please Ogier (he sounds a bit frustrated in interviews and Malcolm wants to turn around his mood asap), as well as to remind Tanak and Evans of the bigger picture and explain he might do it so they don't get pissed during the rallies.

Fast Eddie WRC
18th May 2017, 15:50
Ogier looking pretty happy before Rally Portugal
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAGL8bLUIAAQYkc.jpg:large

Watson
18th May 2017, 15:54

Not a bad time especially with no pacenotes.

A FONDO
18th May 2017, 16:50
Last year when Elfyn was running in the WRC 2 category at the Tour de Corse, I had a customer ask if he could buy a car like Elfyn’s. I told him he could have that very car and we did the deal there and then – with him taking the car away straight after the rally...

KKS
18th May 2017, 21:36
Ogier show true happiness after first stage in Portugal. As usual he show a fake happiness for TV

Andre Oliveira
18th May 2017, 22:15
Crazy and €€€ fans of Seb Ogier here in Portugal :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAI5mycWsAEN7GA.jpg

Franky
19th May 2017, 09:20
Crazy and €€€ fans of Seb Ogier here in Portugal :)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAI5mycWsAEN7GA.jpg

So now it's worth 51 euros?

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd May 2017, 12:47
Ogier transformed after new car changes:

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/may-2017/wilson-praises-ogier/page/4558--12-12-.html

EstWRC
22nd May 2017, 14:09
here is the interview with Malcolm i was talking about in rally portugal thread http://sport.err.ee/597382/malcolm-wilson-tahaksime-tanakut-naha-meeskonnas-ka-jargmisel-hooajal

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd May 2017, 14:38
It's official: there's a new head honcho at Ford. Current CEO Mark Fields is replaced by autonomous cars chief Jim Hackett.

That gives me no confidence at all that Ford will make an official return to WRC. :(

jparker
22nd May 2017, 15:01
It's official: there's a new head honcho at Ford. Current CEO Mark Fields is replaced by autonomous cars chief Jim Hackett.

That gives me no confidence at all that Ford will make an official return to WRC. :(

Of course no return for Ford. It's not about the money, rather the humiliation that they have suffered in the last 30 years dealing with M-Sport. Despite Portugal success, a lot more is needed to convince the bosses.

rallyfiend
22nd May 2017, 15:02
Of course no return for Ford. It's not about the money, rather the humiliation that they have suffered in the last 30 years dealing with M-Sport. Despite Portugal success, a lot more is needed to convince the bosses.

This post shows so little level of knowledge of either the sport or business it's embarrassing.

Watson
22nd May 2017, 15:41

Let's keep our heads up. They are still doing cars like the Fiesta ST and Focus ST/RS. They wanna be associated with motorsport. In many ways I think the WRC is the best way to get bigger amounts of people excited about your regular road cars. The whole GT3 racing they are engaging in now is nice too but a Ford GT costs more than a 488 Ferrari.

Sweet Lord you're just a miserable little hater, aren't you?

Andre Oliveira
22nd May 2017, 16:13
Heartburn is so bad :)

Gregor-y
22nd May 2017, 18:14
The GT is an inexpensive marketing exercise. If they were serious about motorsport it Ford would build a competitive prototype rather than a GT40 throwback to run against a pack of mass produced Porsches. It gets lots of articles in the US media, though, that always go on about the sixties. The WRC has a shot if someone over in Ford Europe can make a compelling case and keep the cost low.

The continued existence of the ST and RS models is a good sign, but we'll see what happens with new leadership.

macebig
22nd May 2017, 18:34
M Sport hasn't stop getting support from FoMoCo.Or you guys believe that Wilson found unreleased Fiesta chassis and designs falling down the sky at Cumbria.If they want to pay Ogier the salary he wants is a different kind of thing but rest assured that those Fiestas are running the stages because Ford wants it.

Tarmop
22nd May 2017, 18:57
Ofc, i can`t see how its possible to think that there isn`t support (trademark ecoboost logos everywhere etc) but the question is in the total sum.

Watson
22nd May 2017, 19:00
M Sport hasn't stop getting support from FoMoCo.Or you guys believe that Wilson found unreleased Fiesta chassis and designs falling down the sky at Cumbria.If they want to pay Ogier the salary he wants is a different kind of think but rest assured that those Fiestas are running the stages because Ford wants it.

Nobody here thinks that. They get minor development support and a bit of pocket money for the ecoboost stickers but they are by far the poorest team. Ford is nowhere near as committed as any of the others.

Watson
22nd May 2017, 19:13
https://www.rallye-magazin.de/index.php?id=336&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=86597&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2017&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=05&tx_ttnews%5Bday%5D=18

Ogier is willing to stay but he wants clarity about how the M-Sport operation is going to be run next year, specifically that they will have the dough to stay competitive and to pay him. Apparantly he wants to know by this summer (no specifics when that is) so he can sign a new contract with Ford or another team so he won't have to do last second pre-season preperations again.

Wilson says they are in contact with Ford Europe and the headquarters in North America yet they have yet failed to promise anything.

Reminds me of 2002 when they waited around until Sainz and McRae left and 2004 when they didn't confirm their backing and Märtin and Duval saw themselves forced to walk away.

A FONDO
22nd May 2017, 19:34
Nobody here thinks that. They get minor development support and a bit of pocket money for the ecoboost stickers but they are by far the poorest team. Ford is nowhere near as committed as any of the others.

That's true. But there's also a positive note on their side, there's no politics in their team. Just engineering and racing. They may have smaller resources but they use them optimally, there are no obstructions or distractions.

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd May 2017, 20:51
The fact that the new boss is into the development of autonomous cars, I cant see him being swayed into having Ford use WRC as a future promo tool. Hope I'm wrong.

Tarmop
22nd May 2017, 21:10
Haven`t heard from Nasser in a while. Last info was, if i remember correctly that he is still planning to compete. Like Wilson said, Ford or some other big supporter, no difference.

macebig
22nd May 2017, 21:28
Haven`t heard from Nasser in a while. Last info was, if i remember correctly that he is still planning to compete. Like Wilson said, Ford or some other big supporter, no difference.

Al Attiyah?He just bought a brand new R5 Fiesta and will compete ERC Acropolis and the full MERC calendar.

Tarmop
22nd May 2017, 21:55
Al Attiyah?He just bought a brand new R5 Fiesta and will compete ERC Acropolis and the full MERC calendar.

Thanks, didn`t know that but i actually ment WRC. After the VW deal failed, there was a paus and maybe a month or two ago? there were new talks about another possible deal with one of the current teams.

Ctesibios
23rd May 2017, 01:28
This post shows so little level of knowledge of either the sport or business it's embarrassing.
What would it take for Ford to return officially? Why are the 3 others in it anyway?

To me, Hyundai is in it for the prestige and raise the level of its brand. Citroën for pride? Toyota,I have no clue! They seem to be bouncing in and out of motorsport disciplines with no clear purpose.

As for the Ford GT program, it seems to be run by nostalgics. Their financial situation still isn't that great.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Francis44
23rd May 2017, 07:35
As for the Ford GT program, it seems to be run by nostalgics. Their financial situation still isn't that great.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Their financial situation is horrible because their CEO talked constantly about electric and autonomous cars without any clue on what costumers want in their car TODAY!

That's why he is out of the door today, no one forgets he's conference about autonomous car where he clearly expected a reaction from the audience but no one cared.

Watson
23rd May 2017, 08:21
Their financial situation is horrible because their CEO talked constantly about electric and autonomous cars without any clue on what costumers want in their car TODAY!

That's why he is out of the door today, no one forgets he's conference about autonomous car where he clearly expected a reaction from the audience but no one cared.

I'm sorry if I sound a bit daft here but I'm unaware of the politics in Ford's top branch.

They only just fired the previous CEO because he was too fixed on autonomous and electric cars and they replaced him with the head of the autonomous cars department? How is that going to help?

AnttiL
23rd May 2017, 08:26
They'll fire Ogier and win the championship with an autonomous car? :D Hiring Ogier was actually only to collect data of his driving style, which will be then fed into the driving computer

Watson
23rd May 2017, 09:02
They'll fire Ogier and win the championship with an autonomous car? :D Hiring Ogier was actually only to collect data of his driving style, which will be then fed into the driving computer

Hahaha yeah something along these lines. :D

Francis44
23rd May 2017, 09:16
I'm sorry if I sound a bit daft here but I'm unaware of the politics in Ford's top branch.

They only just fired the previous CEO because he was too fixed on autonomous and electric cars and they replaced him with the head of the autonomous cars department? How is that going to help?

Perhaps because Jim Hackett is still very focused on selling waht they have to offer today. In his first comments on the job he says the autonomous and electric strategy has to be completely rethinked and that shall take time. I think those are some strong comments from a man who clearly was very involved in that strategy before, just because he was the head of the autonomous department doesn't mean it's his solo focus.

Watson
23rd May 2017, 09:20
Perhaps because Jim Hackett is still very focused on selling waht they have to offer today. In his first comments on the job he says the autonomous and electric strategy has to be completely rethinked and that shall take time. I think those are some strong comments from a man who clearly was very involved in that strategy before, just because he was the head of the autonomous department doesn't mean it's his solo focus.

So if anything the chances of them approving of a works WRC team have improved through the regime change?

Francis44
23rd May 2017, 09:33
So if anything the chances of them approving of a works WRC team have improved through the regime change?

Atleast I think so, but the data about the effects of such investment on their sales only they know. It's hard to really know how much "bang for buck" they have in the WRC, seeing as they can easily spend a quarter of that on some other series. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Watson
23rd May 2017, 09:36
Atleast I think so, but the data about the effects of such investment on their sales only they know. It's hard to really know how much "bang for buck" they have in the WRC, seeing as they can easily spend a quarter of that on some other series. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Alright, thank you very much for the insight.

Francis44
23rd May 2017, 09:44
Alright, thank you very much for the insight.

Please, I do not have any "insight" :D, those are just my thoughts about what happened recently with what has been made publicly available in the news.

Watson
23rd May 2017, 10:18
Please, I do not have any "insight" :D, those are just my thoughts about what happened recently with what has been made publicly available in the news.

Well, yeah but I didn't have a clue about these guys and what they publically said.

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd May 2017, 12:19
I wonder if a Tanak or Evans win would also help convince Ford, making the success of the Fiesta and M-Sport not appear so reliant on Ogier ?

They are both coming close...

dimviii
23rd May 2017, 12:40
Citroën Racing‏*@CitroenRacing May 21

Bravo @SebOgier, Julien and @MSportLtd ! A win at #RallyPortugal reminds us great memories from 2010! #WRC #TheVeryFirstOne #PortugalMasters

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAWYvxwXUAE8mKL.jpg

and Ogiers answer

Sébastien Ogier‏
Verified account
Merci!!
#TheVeryFirstOne is one of those you never forget!!
@rallydeportugal

mknight
23rd May 2017, 13:10
So they hire Mikkelsen for Sardinia and then congratulate Ogier.

Something has changed for sure.

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd May 2017, 13:34
So they hire Mikkelsen for Sardinia and then congratulate Ogier.

Something has changed for sure.

You could see from Meeke's face that he and the team was under massive pressure from Matton.

Rally Power
23rd May 2017, 14:23

Big Corps are a bit like foot clubs: when results are poor, sacking the coach is the easiest way to boost the team and please the masses. Shareholders were criticizing Ford’s strategy as stock price kept slumping, that’s why Field’s head is rolling. Surprisingly, or not, the new CEO was totally aligned with the strategy and, worse, he’s not a car guy (Hackett came from office furniture business). But there’s still hope (for MSport and Rally): Jim Farley (Ford Europe current president and a known petrolhead) is keeping his FoMoCo vice president post and was promoted to Global Markets president. Fingers crossed!
http://www.autonews.com/article/20170522/OEM02/170529994

Rally Power
28th May 2017, 22:42
Steven Armstrong, a 52 years old brit and former James Farley deputy, is the new Ford Europe president. Will Ford’s empowered Farley and Armstrong finally give full support to MSport? Fingers crossed!

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/people/steven-armstrong.html

macebig
28th May 2017, 23:15
Steven Armstrong, a 52 years old brit and former James Farley deputy, is the new Ford Europe president. Will Ford’s empowered Farley and Armstrong finally give full support to MSport? Fingers crossed!

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/people/steven-armstrong.html

I have to inform that things have changed in Ford.This is not the 70s when the rally team was run by Dagenham or the 90s that M Sport got backing from Cologne.All decisions nowadays are made in Dearborn, Michigan.Those are the guys that support Ganassi and the GTLM program plus Block and M Sport in World RX.Also, they are guys Roger Penske is talking with regarding the Australian V8SC program.

Rally Power
28th May 2017, 23:41
As you probably know, Farfley lead Europe and he's now returning to the US as FoMoCo vice president. He's a petrolhead and has direct knowledge about MSport WRC effort. Being back at Dearborn may be a positive factor.

Fast Eddie WRC
29th May 2017, 11:52
MW treating the staff to little get together to celebrate the successful start to the season !

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAw1WyNWAAA0JMA.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAw1XYLWsAAP7IK.jpg

Andre Oliveira
29th May 2017, 12:27
With portuguese wine

dimviii
5th June 2017, 06:36
Malcolm Wilsons rally teams new circuit being built out West. @MSportLtd

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBfbIMtXsAA9Yw2.jpg

Andre Oliveira
6th June 2017, 22:11
http://performance.ford.com/series/rally/news/articles/rally/2017/06/ogier-looks-for-third-win-at-rally-italia-sardegna.html

Andre Oliveira
13th June 2017, 12:26
http://performance.ford.com/content/dam/fordracing/series/rally/image/news/2017/06/WRCItaly_800_3.jpg

http://performance.ford.com/series/rally/news/articles/rally/2017/06/taenak-finds-victory-in-sardinia.html

Watson
13th June 2017, 13:19
Since the contracts for the following season are usually sorted around the time Rally Finland takes place, Ford will probably publish their decision by that time.

I'm hopeful, but I'm a fan. At Monte we heard some positive sounds. It has gone really well since then. M-Sport is leading both championships, won the most rallies, had a car on the podium at every rally and are the only team to have multiple drivers winning. Poland and Finland should suit the car and Tanak is on fire.

Ogier says he will stay if Ford returns. The other drivers are strong too and could certainly be kept. They could be the ones to beat for years to come.

It is all set. Will it go through?

Edit: Also the WRC is interesting and thrilling now with good competition between many teams. It's not just them against Citroen anymore or VW walking over everybody.

Fast Eddie WRC
29th June 2017, 16:46
Suninen in action in his M-Sport Fiesta:

http://www.teemusuninen.com/files/01.jpg

His main sponsor: http://www.konecranes.fi/

Fast Eddie WRC
29th June 2017, 16:53
Rovanpera linked to M-Sport & BRC in 2018:

No deal had been done on a car for Rovanpera next season, but it would likely come down to sticking with the current Skoda Fabia R5 or switching to an M-Sport-run Ford Fiesta R5.

M-Sport has plenty of experience of running Jouhki’s juniors; Latvala and Mikko Hirvonen were part of the Ford WRC team from 2006 until Ford’s withdrawal at the end of 2012. Teemu Suninen – who makes his debut in a Ford Fiesta WRC in Poland this week – is another Jouhki driver under an M-Sport contract for this year’s WRC2 series.

M-Sport managing director Malcolm Wilson told MN: “We’re be very interested in working with Kalle – he’s clearly a young driver with a very exciting future. We’ve talked about a few things with Kalle and Timo and Harri, but nothing is done. There are different options, but a BRC programme would be a good plan with the world rounds mentioned.”

https://www.motorsport-news.co.uk/news/rovanepera-targets-brc-campaign/

NickRally
2nd July 2017, 14:27
There will once again be some very difficult questions asked in M-Sport's offices tomorrow with (relative) lack of speed on Ogier's side of the garage and (repeat) wing failure leading to overdriving on Tanak's side of the team.

Simmi
2nd July 2017, 18:00
After eight rounds both Tanak AND Evans have scored more fastest times than Ogier. Even regardless of road position that is incredible really.

AnttiL
2nd July 2017, 18:10
After eight rounds both Tanak AND Evans have scored more fastest times than Ogier. Even regardless of road position that is incredible really.

And still Ogier has about the same amount of points as those guys together.

noel157
2nd July 2017, 18:38
There will once again be some very difficult questions asked in M-Sport's offices tomorrow with (relative) lack of speed on Ogier's side of the garage and (repeat) wing failure leading to overdriving on Tanak's side of the team.

Sorry, may have missed it but did Tanak's rear aero pack "just" fall off or did he get a knock or something somewhere?

EstWRC
2nd July 2017, 19:02
just fell off on the straight

macebig
2nd July 2017, 19:06
They should probably take a look at the design of their mounting system. A repeat of that failure may prove very costly in Finland.

EstWRC
2nd July 2017, 19:11
they must have a very serious look at it, IMO thats where actually Tänak lost the win.

noel157
2nd July 2017, 19:18
they must have a very serious look at it, IMO thats where actually Tänak lost the win.

Or at least lost the chance to finish, may not have been going so hard today. But I suppose if my auntie was a man she would be my uncle.....

He'll get his day in the sun soon.

EstWRC
2nd July 2017, 19:21
Or at least lost the chance to finish, may not have been going so hard today. But I suppose if my auntie was a man she would be my uncle.....

He'll get his day in the sun soon.

well thats the difference i was referring, he had 14 secs lead after the stage he lost the wing...would have been a completely different scenario.

but i dont want to sound like Neuville in sardegna...it was what it was and hopefully it wont happen again.

Andre Oliveira
3rd July 2017, 12:07
So good debut to Teemu Suninen. Hope more rounds after Finland

Simmi
3rd July 2017, 12:50
Maybe if the WRC2 title is beyond reach for GB that could be something nice. And put Kalle into the R5 car instead.

AnttiL
3rd July 2017, 13:21
So good debut to Teemu Suninen. Hope more rounds after Finland

Probably it's a budget issue. I bet his sponsors were delighted to see him featured so much on the official WRC TV highlights. For example Østberg wasn't shown practically at all. If Finland goes well, I could see him do one more rally in WRC, most likely Wales.

Maybe if the WRC2 title is beyond reach for GB that could be something nice. And put Kalle into the R5 car instead.

Right, Tidemand's title is now pretty secured...Suninen announced that his WRC2 program would include Germany, Spain and Wales. He would basically have to win them all and Tidemand to have very bad luck for him to take the WRC2 title. And for the wholeness, a drive in WRC2017 would be more useful than that.

I think Kalle will drive R5 anyway.

Ctesibios
3rd July 2017, 13:33
Is Suninen under contract with a team? Is he someone's protégé? I would sign him for next year! Even if it was for a partial season.

pantealex
3rd July 2017, 14:31
Is Suninen under contract with a team? Is he someone's protégé? I would sign him for next year! Even if it was for a partial season.

M-Sport for now, Timo Jouhki is his manager, So would I ;)

Fast Eddie WRC
3rd July 2017, 23:08
Who is funding these two drives for Suninen in the 2017 car, just MSport or the Crane people ?

noel157
3rd July 2017, 23:25
Who is funding these two drives for Suninen in the 2017 car, just MSport or the Crane people ?

Would guarantee M-Sport isn't. Jouhki does the money side.

AnttiL
4th July 2017, 09:02
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD39R3AXsAAMG7g.jpg

Kremer's livery for Deutchland 2017

Ctesibios
4th July 2017, 16:48
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DD39R3AXsAAMG7g.jpg

Kremer's livery for Deutchland 2017
Is Armin borrowing someone's car or is it a new build?

EstWRC
4th July 2017, 16:58
Bertellis car i guess.

Andre Oliveira
4th July 2017, 17:36
Ogier will have new car at Germany

Fast Eddie WRC
4th July 2017, 20:19
Bertellis car i guess.

Or Suninen's ! ;)

KKS
4th July 2017, 20:20
Bertellis car i guess.
btw who was that? :D
he do only 3 rallies this year and back home ?

Suninen use his car in Poland

AnttiL
4th July 2017, 23:18
btw who was that? :D
he do only 3 rallies this year and back home ?

Suninen use his car in Poland

The Absolute Rally podcast said his 2016 Fiesta was on ebay and they said he retired, but then again he has already driven two events on the 2017 car. Anyway, I won't miss him if he quits.

sonnybobiche
12th July 2017, 01:49
Shame, we need as many 2017 cars on each rally as possible. And Bertelli was getting a lot better in the last year or so. Privateers should be celebrated, I think.

BTW what's the deal with Onebet-Jipocar in terms of getting Prokop competing again? Is he ever going to get his own 17 car? I can't believe it would be a question of finances...

GigiGalliNo1
12th July 2017, 06:02
His calendar only included two WRC rounds this year (Bertelli) He will be back but no one knows when...

AnttiL
12th July 2017, 06:11
His calendar only included two WRC rounds this year (Bertelli) He will be back but no one knows when...

Yet he's done already three (Sweden, Mexico and Argentina). Interestingly he chose the non-European events to his limited programme...

tommeke_B
12th July 2017, 07:52
Yet he's done already three (Sweden, Mexico and Argentina). Interestingly he chose the non-European events to his limited programme...
Probably because there aren't so many R5 cars to compete with in non-European events...

GigiGalliNo1
12th July 2017, 15:38
I believe M-Sport were already packing four WRCars (2017 spec) on these events specifically the two long haul - expect the same for Australia - Ogier Tanak Evans + Privateer WRCar...

rallyfiend
12th July 2017, 16:24
If someone doesn't pay, the car doesn't leave M-Sport and get on a plane...

kure91
12th July 2017, 19:42
BTW what's the deal with Onebet-Jipocar in terms of getting Prokop competing again? Is he ever going to get his own 17 car? I can't believe it would be a question of finances...
AFAIK Prokop is focusing on his Dakar adventure. In reccent interview in Czech media he sad that he would like to do Finland and Catalunya, but its a question as he isn´t entered to Finland

Andre Oliveira
12th July 2017, 19:45
https://scontent.fopo2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/19959093_1800599386636147_7480745389503981934_n.jp g?oh=dc72e8dc150d3df21e43ccfaab5ac6d3&oe=5A06C8C1

https://screenshots.firefoxusercontent.com/images/eb336a57-3ace-451e-b9d8-a0532797442f.png

EstWRC
12th July 2017, 20:08
Damn I don't like how they are acting. I know they are still supporting Malcolm but they are acting like they are full manufacturer in the series.

Andre Oliveira
12th July 2017, 20:16
On Facebook they add M-Sport at least ;)

macebig
12th July 2017, 21:21
Damn I don't like how they are acting. I know they are still supporting Malcolm but they are acting like they are full manufacturer in the series.

Remember, M-Sport is out there with FoMoCo's consent. They have every right to use the results for marketing purposes.

Fast Eddie WRC
12th July 2017, 21:34
https://scontent.fopo2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/19959093_1800599386636147_7480745389503981934_n.jp g?oh=dc72e8dc150d3df21e43ccfaab5ac6d3&oe=5A06C8C1

I replied on Twitter that their Ford Fiesta would win even more if they give their full support... :rolleyes:

Fast Eddie WRC
12th July 2017, 21:36
Remember, M-Sport is out there with FoMoCo's consent. They have every right to use the results for marketing purposes.

True.. but they arent paying the driver's, a pretty important factor in the car's success this year.

Andre Oliveira
12th July 2017, 21:37
I think they should use WRC car to advirtise new Fiesta road car

skarderud
12th July 2017, 23:22
Mads Østberg is using his R5 in germany, instead of the wrc17 car.
Mainly because of limited testing and parts avalible on tarmac.

Sent fra min XP7700 via Tapatalk

AnttiL
13th July 2017, 06:35
I wonder if Mads is skipping Spain as well, if the lack of tarmac suspension and its testing and financing is a true issue

Daviesalaam
14th July 2017, 06:38
And, What about his Co Driver Ola Floene.. Dropped out ?!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

AnttiL
14th July 2017, 06:41
And, What about his Co Driver Ola Floene.. Dropped out ?!

That was covered in the news thread.

Rally Power
14th July 2017, 11:11
Not the big news we’re waiting for, still two interesting rumours about MSport that are growing on the net.

The first was, apparently, started by Italian magazine Autosprint, that claimed MSport is developing a Suzuki Swift R3T which will replace the Fiesta R2T in JWRC from 2019. http://www.diariomotor.com/competicion/breve/m-sport-desarrollando-un-suzuki-swift-r3t-en-italia-creen-que-es-posible/

The other, launched by endurance racing sites, reveals MSport can be chosen by Ford to undertake European costumer service for the new Mustang GT4, a car developed by Multimatic Motorsport from Canada and already competing at some US GT series. http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/m-sport-en-passe-de-devenir-la-base-technique-europeenne-du-programme-ford-gt4/

Andre Oliveira
17th July 2017, 23:05
https://screenshots.firefoxusercontent.com/images/eb734ed4-d5e7-4ab2-b0e5-c3d3335ea179.png

Fast Eddie WRC
19th July 2017, 21:23
https://screenshots.firefoxusercontent.com/images/eb734ed4-d5e7-4ab2-b0e5-c3d3335ea179.png

Yes, M-Sport.. not you.

EstWRC
21st July 2017, 15:24
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFQ638sXgAEHs9m.jpg

Rally Power
24th July 2017, 13:12
If the rumours are right, this is the car MSport is developing as a R3 (yep, not a Ford!), eventually to become the next JWRC model. Base car uses a 1.4T engine and weighs around 1050kg.

https://www.diariomotor.com/imagenes/picscache/1100x440c/suzuki-swift-sport-p_1100x440c.jpg

Andre Oliveira
24th July 2017, 13:47
Next M-Sport R3T car will be Fiesta with 1.5T engine, 3 cylinder and 240hp based in ST

Rally Power
24th July 2017, 17:54
Maybe they can do both! MSport is a private company and, for what we know, has no exclusivity contract with Ford.

Andre Oliveira
24th July 2017, 18:15
That news should be bluff or pressure ;)

AnttiL
27th July 2017, 08:06
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFuA5UnXcAA-VYs.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFuA44xWAAAyM8o.jpg

Suninen's livery has been updated a bit for Neste Rally, actually with more Neste sponsoring, and the green lines on the bumper are also the Neste brand colour.

Daviesalaam
28th July 2017, 11:03
What is happening Ogier's new Car...?!

Eli
28th July 2017, 11:43
What is happening Ogier's new Car...?!

Sent from my SM-G925F using TapatalkOgier's getting a new car in Germany, not here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Andre Oliveira
1st August 2017, 00:03
Do you think that Malcolm will use Suninen and maybe Mikkelsen in GB and Australia to win positions of Neuville? The last play... Ott. Don’t think Hyundai can use Sordo and Paddon. Wilson will try everything that it is allow to be champion.

racerx1979
1st August 2017, 07:13
Ogier gets a new car almost every rally.

seb_sh
1st August 2017, 08:07
Ogier gets a new car almost every rally.

not quite https://www.ewrc-results.com/cars/69-ford-fiesta-wrc-17/

Tarmop
1st August 2017, 09:04
For that M-Sport needs money (extra cars) and although probably he would get it, i don`t think that Andreas is the best joker for Ogier`s championship as he`s a good friend of Neuville. We also know that Finland didn`t suit Hyundai but on every other remaining event or most of them Neuville should be able to fight for the top3, whereas Teemu lacks experience and Andreas SS km`s plus none of them have been driven in a Fiesta.

AnttiL
1st August 2017, 09:13
This was brought up in Twitter: Andreas is too expensive for M-Sport at this point, and won't pay to drive.

tommeke_B
1st August 2017, 11:06
This was brought up in Twitter: Andreas is too expensive for M-Sport at this point, and won't pay to drive.

Regarding how competitive both Lappi and Suninen already are, with their limited experience, Mikkelsen's value could quickly drop. I think he should be happy if he gets a works seat for the whole season next year.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st August 2017, 11:46
Do you think that Malcolm will use Suninen and maybe Mikkelsen in GB and Australia to win positions of Neuville? The last play... Ott. Don’t think Hyundai can use Sordo and Paddon. Wilson will try everything that it is allow to be champion.

No.

EstWRC
1st August 2017, 11:49
Regarding how competitive both Lappi and Suninen already are, with their limited experience, Mikkelsen's value could quickly drop. I think he should be happy if he gets a works seat for the whole season next year.

oh man you just upset a bunch of norwegians!

mknight
1st August 2017, 12:39

Mikkelsen beat Sunninen in R5s by over 1 minute after first day both in Corsica and Portugal and then basically just controlled the lead => quite a different level.

There is no direct comparison with Lappi available, but
a) they have same manager
b) Lappi most likely already has a deal at Toyota so don't see how it changes M-Sport choices

The outings with Citroen certainly didn't increase Mikkelsen's value, but comparing the Citroen drivers in Poland and now in Finland, it's rather inconclusive.

Atm Mikkelsen and Tanak have about same value, Tanak has obviously better recent results, but does not have any good result on tarmac yet.

For reference: I am not Norwegian.
------------

Anyway I'd say the main point here is that if M-Sport does not get a lot of money from Ford they will either:
1. Use all money on Ogier and get very cheap/paying driver for other spot (so neither Tanak nor Mikkelsen).
Or
2. They let even Ogier go and go fully money-making like so many times in the past. Malcolm has a long history of picking drivers for money and just recently said that he's mostly interested in driver titles.

I don't think it's likely that they let Ogier go and pay Tanak or Mikkelsen to be #1. The signals from various interview seem to suggest that Malcolm is trying to focus on option 1. atm.

Andre Oliveira
1st August 2017, 13:03
Something like RedBull M-Sport WRT should be enought. Like RedBull F1 team

Tarmop
1st August 2017, 13:15
2. They let even Ogier go and go fully money-making like so many times in the past. Malcolm has a long history of picking drivers for money and just recently said that he's mostly interested in driver titles.

Actually before Finland, i think that Tänak said to Estonian media that M-Sports main objective is manufacturers title. I can`t find the article to check at the moment but probably ESTwrc or someone can confirm.

mknight
1st August 2017, 13:20
Actually before Finland, i think that Tänak said to Estonian media that M-Sports main objective is manufacturers title. I can`t find the article to check at the moment but probably ESTwrc or someone can confirm.

Malcolm said in the WRC radio interview in Finland that his priority was drivers cause he had 2-manu titles from before.

EstWRC
1st August 2017, 14:01
I can't confirm Tarmop. Maybe I missed the article because I was in Finland but I haven't seen it .

Fast Eddie WRC
1st August 2017, 15:20
If private team M-Sport win the Manufacturers in 2017 that will be enough. A great achievement unprecedented in the WRC.

In 2018 they can do what they like.

Andre Oliveira
1st August 2017, 15:49
I am surprised why Ford France didn’t support his champion. And Ford Europe don’t use the Fiesta WRC to advertise the Fiesta road car.

Tarmop
1st August 2017, 16:28
Well, Ford Europe is probably responsible for Focus RS recce cars (German numberplates).

dimviii
1st August 2017, 16:40
Malcolm said in the WRC radio interview in Finland that his priority was drivers cause he had 2-manu titles from before.

haven't listen this interview ,but Evans told wrc.com that manufacture championship is very important for M sport.

“I think there was an element that I was going to go for it, but there was a bit of a difficult situation. It’s very important for M-Sport to win the manufacturers’ title this year and I think they wanted to make sure they collected as many points as possible,” Evans said.

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/august-2017/evans-second/page/4751--12-12-.html

electroliquid
1st August 2017, 17:22
Of course Evans and Tanak says that manufacturers title is very important. Do you expect they say "our team's main goal is to have Ogier as champion, and we just drive..." and only Malcom knows what's most important for M-Sport and himself.

stefanvv
1st August 2017, 17:28
Manufacturer title might be important for Ford Motor Co. to comeback.

Eli
1st August 2017, 17:58
Manufacturer title might be important for Ford Motor Co. to comeback.

Hopefully they'll take it this year and will see the Blue Oval return after 5 too long years without them. Malcolm Wilson deserves at least one of the titles if not both, he has put so much effort for this year.

eib1
1st August 2017, 18:23
if Malcolm wants manu title more than WDC, then Tänak would have finished 2nd in Poland

Fast Eddie WRC
2nd August 2017, 16:10
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGNj8ssW0AAKTyf.jpg

AnttiL
4th August 2017, 11:18
https://twitter.com/HartusvuoriWRC/status/893378097592111105

Kalle Rovanperä testing today at M-Sport...probably the Fiesta R5.

Andre Oliveira
10th August 2017, 20:31
So Red Bull is personal sponsor of Sébastien Ogier, Elfyn Evans and the future (?) Kalle Rovanpëra M-Sport drivers. Maybe the answer to Malcolm Wilson "problems" are the called (by me) Red Bull M-Sport WRT.

mknight
10th August 2017, 23:19
That might not be enough money for 2nd top driver (Tanak or Mikkelsen), so that would be Ogier + Evans cheaply + Suninen for free or some paydriver (Camilli).

Little chance in manu-championship vs Hyundai and Toyota + Ogier alone might struggle with further car development and with having someone to compare with. Don't like that much.

Andre Oliveira
11th August 2017, 00:36
Reb Bull team like F1, not a simple sponsor... that could work

Andre Oliveira
19th August 2017, 22:50
Difficult convice Ford like this

https://scontent.flis8-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20992838_1841562629206489_3416786465755706923_n.jp g?oh=7c0edfdba0ea2c4d0e6a78175c91c5ed&oe=5A172CF9

AnttiL
20th August 2017, 06:14
https://twitter.com/MSportLtd/status/899139191568826368

Just 50 more kilometres to go @ADACRallye! Wish us luck, this one would mean a lot... #WRC #ADACRallye ��

would mean a lot? hmm...

Rally Power
20th August 2017, 15:45
So, MSport is almost manus champ and Ogier is also the best placed to become drivers champ; if Ford doesn’t full support MSport next year, I hope Mr. Wilson can be able to look for manu support elsewhere…he deserves better!

N.O.T
20th August 2017, 15:49
So, MSport is almost manus champ and Ogier is also the best placed to become drivers champ; if Ford doesn’t full support MSport next year, I hope Mr. Wilson can be able to look for manu support elsewhere…he deserves better!

he will not.... ford expertise makes him rich and thats what counts.

Plus he managed to win both titles without any support why he would need it ?

the other teams are nothing when it comes to drivers.

macebig
20th August 2017, 15:57
Seriously people, you need to calm down. That team is out there because Ford WANTS it to be out there. Does it really matter if they are gonna have a bit bigger Blue Oval stickers or not? Results are what matter. And for Ford the current deal is fine. If they want to invest more to keep the team as it is, it's up to the higher ups in Dearborn. For me, as long as the cars are out there, sometimes with more and some times with less chance of winning, it's great.

tommeke_B
20th August 2017, 16:12
Maybe M-Sport needs Ford more than Ford needs M-Sport? ;) Isn't it still the manufacturer that needs to give an approval to homologate a new rallycar? See the struggle with the Mitsubishi R5 for example... M-Sport has built a very successful business with hundreds of R5 cars (not even mentioning WRC, S2000 and R2 cars) competing around the world. They must make a decent profit from all cars/parts sold and maintained. But, if Ford decides to stop approving the rally programme, and doesn't give their approval for next homologations, the story could stop... Or am I wrong? ;)

Rally Power
20th August 2017, 16:30
And for Ford the current deal is fine

For Ford is great, for sure. They only provide tech support and MSport does all the hard work, including getting the running budget. Besides, there's no rational argument on why they're backing WRX and not WRC.

No doubt MSport needs to have Ford tech support, but as rally fans can't we ask for Ford's WRC return as a manu or wish that MSport could find a more involved partner?

jparker
20th August 2017, 17:04
No doubt MSport needs to have Ford tech support, but as rally fans can't we ask for Ford's WRC return as a manu or wish that MSport could find a more involved partner?
Problem is the partner, not many I guess.
Prodrive found one, but not in rallying.

stefanvv
20th August 2017, 17:50
For Ford is great, for sure. They only provide tech support and MSport does all the hard work, including getting the running budget. Besides, there's no rational argument on why they're backing WRX and not WRC.

Ford provides the cars, but I don't know how deep the tech support goes from there. For sure M-Sport are using the aero developing facilities from Ford and since the engine is built by M-Sport now, probably Ford has finger in that process as well. But if they want to keep winning perhaps they should invest more in drivers too, the best variant is to keep the current line-up, but if Tanak decides to go away, a team with Ogier, Evans & Suninen is not much more weak.

Francis44
20th August 2017, 17:52
Ford Motor Co was and is still a deceitful company when it comes to money. Dont forget this was a company that some years before had an habbit of paying the familys victims instead of fixing their cars simply because it was cheaper.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th August 2017, 18:33

I ask @FordPerformance to come back officially after every rally. They will never have a better chance to get the Ford name properly associated with motor sport success again.

Ford stayed in rally even when Citroen were kings, but now M-Sport are leading the way they need to come back.

mknight
20th August 2017, 18:40
if Tanak decides to go away, a team with Ogier, Evans & Suninen is not much more weak.

I disagree, a team like that has no chance to win manu title against (probably in that case), Toyota with Latvala, Lappi, Tanak and Hyundai with current lineup.

stefanvv
20th August 2017, 19:04
I disagree, a team like that has no chance to win manu title against (probably in that case), Toyota with Latvala, Lappi, Tanak and Hyundai with current lineup.

Well my point was more oriented to M-Sport line-up disregarding the others. Evans has shown real progress this year, and even tyres are playing some role on some performances (meaning Argentina), as some driver said - there is still someone who must drive the car, though in most of the events he seem hampered with them. Kind of similar with Tanak last year going with the same brand.

As for Suninen, why not? Who had thought Lappi was going to win in Finland? Suninen might fall in the same category.

AnttiL
20th August 2017, 19:18
Ogier-Evans-Suninen team would be about as strong as Hyundai's team this year –*one driver winning a lot and others collecting points here and there but no winning pace.

mknight
20th August 2017, 19:21
Pretty impossible to judge how good Evans really is, any good stagetime/rally he does can be mostly due to tires.. same for any bad one. Also remember he has two full WRC seasons from before.

Suninen is imo not ready and going too early to WRC would most likely hurt him in the long term. Sure it was good to show himself on 2 rallies, maybe GB on top, but R5 results vs various drivers indicate there are things to learn.

Tarmop
20th August 2017, 19:23
Suninen is too raw i think to be nominated to score points. Although maybe it was his itention to go and see what happens, but in those two outings he had several lucky close calls.

EstWRC
20th August 2017, 20:06
as far as i know about the situation, Wilson isnt satisfied that Ford just promises to give more money and support because it isnt fully guaranteed. They can change their minds every moment, so thats why full factory support or nothing.

this is the info i got.

stefanvv
20th August 2017, 21:29
Suninen is imo not ready and going too early to WRC would most likely hurt him in the long term. Sure it was good to show himself on 2 rallies, maybe GB on top, but R5 results vs various drivers indicate there are things to learn.

Yeah, lots of people consider every class as a step of the ladder necessary to be taken. But I'm more of the others, which may consider real talent only when it comes to the top level of a championship. There are plenty examples of drivers which are not so good in 1 category and much better in higher category, and of course the opposite (who of course are the majority, but that is where the difference comes - the majority don't become world champions one day). Suninen had 2 chances to prove himself fast so far in WRC car and he did it more than probably 99% of the people expected. Of course there will always be critics of overdriving, offs, luck, and so, so on, but IMO he did fine job getting results and learning as much in the process.

Rally Power
20th August 2017, 22:08
Problem is the partner, not many I guess.
Prodrive found one, but not in rallying.

Yep, Prodrive getting Renault into WRX was a surprise; likewise to see Overdrive as BAIC new partner on rally-raid and some other oriental brands getting into motorsport on a serious way. The car market is rising worldwide and we’re having the best WRC season since the earlier 00’s. Hopefully, it’s just a matter of time to have new manus coming into WRC. Fingers crossed.

Andre Oliveira
20th August 2017, 22:53
10th podium this season.

AnttiL
21st August 2017, 06:01
Suninen had 2 chances to prove himself fast so far in WRC car and he did it more than probably 99% of the people expected. Of course there will always be critics of overdriving, offs, luck, and so, so on, but IMO he did fine job getting results and learning as much in the process.

A lot of team bosses and managers say it's hard to build up speed if you don't have it naturally, but it's easy to build assurance through experience. And Suninen proved he's got the speed, but needs more experience driving a WRC car and driving all the different rallies in the season. I'm just worried that Camilli has stronger funding and will be Wilson's first choice for a possible remaining seat.

Fast Eddie WRC
21st August 2017, 16:22
Saw the interview with Ogier on the WRC Germany highlights asking if he will retire. His reply that he will continue if 'everything is in place' again suggests he needs Ford factory support or he's off. :(

jparker
21st August 2017, 16:33
Saw the interview with Ogier on the WRC Germany highlights asking if he will retire. His reply that he will continue if 'everything is in place' again suggests he needs Ford factory support or he's off. :(

Ogier to retire?
I don't buy this for a second.
Looks like he wants something, and is not getting it.

N.O.T
21st August 2017, 16:35
lol...

Rally Power
21st August 2017, 17:59
A lot of team bosses and managers say it's hard to build up speed if you don't have it naturally, but it's easy to build assurance through experience. And Suninen proved he's got the speed, but needs more experience driving a WRC car and driving all the different rallies in the season. I'm just worried that Camilli has stronger funding and will be Wilson's first choice for a possible remaining seat.

Camilli isn’t a paying driver; Wilson said it several times. It’s true that he was backed by FFSA and TMG, but not anymore since he entered MSport. His only personal sponsors are a small perfume company and the city of Nice. Even Sunninen is showing to have more sponsors than him.

Btw, without Ogier and Tanak a possible MSport line up could be: Evans, Sunninen and Ostberg (he’s always ready to pay, while Mikkelsen isn’t). All 3 on DMack’s.

mknight
21st August 2017, 21:27
... All 3 on DMack’s.
*shrug*

So we would never know if any good/bad performance is due to car or tires, no thanks from me.

stefanvv
22nd August 2017, 00:08

That's not what he said, but may be I watched other interview. Can You please post a video link of Yours? Thanks.

AnttiL
22nd August 2017, 06:40
Camilli isn’t a paying driver; Wilson said it several times. It’s true that he was backed by FFSA and TMG, but not anymore since he entered MSport. His only personal sponsors are a small perfume company and the city of Nice. Even Sunninen is showing to have more sponsors than him.

Interesting to hear. So at the same time Wilson is complaining about things ranging from Ogier's salary to the cost of bumpers lost in Poland, he's paying to let Camilli drive every event in the season? He must really believe Camilli is a future champion. It's clear that Suninen's got sponsors, and is not paid by the team. In Rally Finland he even had extra sponsoring by Neste, who is also backing the whole event.

Btw, without Ogier and Tanak a possible MSport line up could be: Evans, Sunninen and Ostberg (he’s always ready to pay, while Mikkelsen isn’t). All 3 on DMack’s.
The DMack guy said in the Absolute Rally Podcast earlier this year that one of his targets is to get a full WRC team on DMacks. If I remember correctly he was talking about M-Sport in that case.

Daviesalaam
22nd August 2017, 09:24
When was the last time Msport won tarmac rally?!

Munkvy
22nd August 2017, 10:06
When was the last time Msport won tarmac rally?!

Monte Carlo 2017... So they are the only ones to have won 2 tarmac events this year...

EstWRC
22nd August 2017, 10:30
Partly right but as Monte isnt considered as PURE tarmac rally then last time that M-sport won tarmac rally was with Markko Märtin in Spain in 2004.

It was full tarmac event that year but then they were official Ford Rally Team not M-sport.

BigWorm
22nd August 2017, 10:53
Interesting to hear. So at the same time Wilson is complaining about things ranging from Ogier's salary to the cost of bumpers lost in Poland, he's paying to let Camilli drive every event in the season? He must really believe Camilli is a future champion.

He did give Camilli a contract which was ''understood to be longer than 1 year'' and with all the events he's done this year it's pretty obvious it's at least a 2-year contract. Wilson was very impressed with Camilli's progression when he signed him, that's why we've seen Camilli so often. Clearly Wilson rated him highly when he signed him, if he still does I don't know.

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd August 2017, 11:48
That's not what he said, but may be I watched other interview. Can You please post a video link of Yours? Thanks.

I just saw it on TV, at the start of the highlights of the final day..

What did Ogier say in the one you saw ?

stefanvv
22nd August 2017, 12:49
I just saw it on TV, at the start of the highlights of the final day..

What did Ogier say in the one you saw ?

Well he didn't mentioned neither Ford involvement, nor "retirement". But I believe it was the post rally interview.

pokey2014
22nd August 2017, 14:10
will m-sport move to different brands in the near future?

Tarmop
22nd August 2017, 14:27
There was that rumour about a Suzuki Swift R3T(?) being developed by M-Sport.

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd August 2017, 15:14
I've never considered that... if they win the WRC another manufacturer coming in and saying make and run us a rally car...

Naaaaah ! :D

Simmi
22nd August 2017, 15:28
That's really what they need to leverage the manufacturer. All of Ford's free WRC publicity goes away with M-Sport.

Unfortunately I don't see anyone else queuing up to join the WRC.

macebig
22nd August 2017, 15:47
It will be impossible for Wilson to switch manufacturers. Every Ford rally car from the Escort RS Cosworth onwards is serviced by M Sport. And there are probably thousands around the world.p
Plus, most of their owners are M Sport customers for the better part of a quarter of a century. Malcolm cannot throw away that customer backlog.

Fast Eddie WRC
22nd August 2017, 18:40
Yeah, but when they beat the factory teams that's some impressive CV for another manufacturer to look at.

Plus their Dovenby HQ is huge and expanding. Maybe they could service old Ford's and run a non-Ford WRC team.

Unilkely, but I dont think Wilson will happily go back to being the WRC poor relation ..

mknight
22nd August 2017, 18:53
It will be impossible for Wilson to switch manufacturers. Every Ford rally from the Escort RS Cosworth onwards is serviced by M Sport. And there are probably thousands around the world.plus, most of their owners are M Sport customers for the better part of half a century. Malcolm cannot throw away that customer backlog.

Did Prodrive stop servicing Subarus after they started with Mini?

Indreq
22nd August 2017, 19:44
M-Sport already runs Bentleys for endurance racing. I dont think it would be impossible to start with other manufacturer for WRC program and continue supporting some Ford-based rally cars.

cali
22nd August 2017, 19:54
Not true, he has nothing to do with the Escort cosworts and pre 2006 focuses. Not true as well bcs Malcolm ran Ford team already 1999 by signing Colin and Carlos.

AnttiL
22nd August 2017, 20:06
Not true as well bcs Malcolm ran Ford team already 1999 by signing Colin and Carlos.

From 1997 onwards, but Escort WRC was already designed by that point. Focus was also designed by M-Sport.

cali
22nd August 2017, 20:22
From 1997 onwards, but Escort WRC was already designed by that point. Focus was also designed by M-Sport.I stand corrected

mknight
22nd August 2017, 21:21
Anyway while this is interesting speculation M-Sport is surely not changing from Ford as long as the 2017 Fiesta is new and competitive, in 2-3 years maybe or when the rule change requires a new car.

Andre Oliveira
22nd August 2017, 22:14
"But I also think that we would need a little bit more support to be where I want to be"

So, what want Ogier? He wants a team build around him. Tänak should leave to not be "dried".

According some rumours, it will be Ford after Ogier a new era.

denkimi
22nd August 2017, 22:33
building a wrc car with the chassis of another constructor shouldn't be that much of a problem. they already have all the technology and almost all the parts.

RAS007
23rd August 2017, 05:19
Not true, he has nothing to do with the Escort cosworts and pre 2006 focuses.

Wrong.

pantealex
23rd August 2017, 07:36
Not true, he has nothing to do with the Escort cosworts and pre 2006 focuses.

WTF are you thinking ?

EstWRC
23rd August 2017, 10:07
"But I also think that we would need a little bit more support to be where I want to be"

So, what want Ogier? He wants a team build around him. Tänak should leave to not be "dried".

According some rumours, it will be Ford after Ogier a new era.

Sorry I don't understand the last sentence?

Andre Oliveira
23rd August 2017, 12:56
M-Sport WRC team will be built around one driver. When was the last time it happened?

macebig
23rd August 2017, 13:51
M-Sport WRC team will be built around one driver. When was the last time it happened?

Sainz 97,McRae 99,Gronholm 06, basically Hirvonen 08, Latvala 12, Mikko again 14.

Andre Oliveira
23rd August 2017, 14:02
Marcus ok, after i don’t agree.

macebig
23rd August 2017, 14:08
OK, Mikko 08 can be excluded. But, JML was clear No 1 in 12. Petter was casted as a supporting driver. And in 14, Mikko was the leader as Evans was very inexperienced.

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd August 2017, 14:28
Well he didn't mentioned neither Ford involvement, nor "retirement". But I believe it was the post rally interview.

Ogier quote from the interview I saw:

“It (retirement) is a possibility but it’s not depending about the title. The truth is I want to do a bit more, I think I will do a bit more,” he said.

“I have no pressure about that. I’m very relaxed and if I feel that I have a good opportunity to do something well again in the future, next year, and get everything I want, then I will continue probably.”

It's now on WRC.com ..http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/august-2017/ogier-future/page/4817--12-12-.html

Andre Oliveira
23rd August 2017, 14:35
“There are offers. For many weeks I have said hopefully (I’ll have a decision) soon. I guess before the rally in Spain (5 - 8 October) we should know something,” added Ogier.

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd August 2017, 15:35
“There are offers. For many weeks I have said hopefully (I’ll have a decision) soon. I guess before the rally in Spain (5 - 8 October) we should know something,” added Ogier.

'Offers' must mean from other teams. If Ford or a big sponsor dont come in it's clear he'll be off from M-Sport... :(

Andre Oliveira
23rd August 2017, 19:11
http://www.marca.com/motor/rallies/2017/08/23/599d577a22601dd3338b45ab.html

He was always a lynx for business. Last winter, before the advent of a new era , invested with more zeal than ever in the development of the new Fiesta WRC , to try to return his team to the posts of honor of the World Cup that had occupied in the past, under the halo Of Ford.

A year after beginning its evolution, Malcolm Wilson can already proclaim to the four winds that his bet, once more, has been winner to him. After fulfilling his personal challenge to recruit Sébastien Ogier , the Englishman is living a dreamy season, with the four-time World Champion at his side, and an innate talent, in a state of grace , like Ott Tänak, for which he always Bet

While negotiating fiercely to try to recover the halo of official equipment, M-Sport's capo faces the final stretch of the championship with many ballots to seal, within three months, a historic doublet (drivers and constructors) against the pleiade of Factory teams involved in the World Cup.

Question. In the past, he tried twice to unsuccessfully sign Ogier. What operation did you devise last winter to finally incorporate it?

A: "Obviously, it was a completely different situation than the previous ones." Suddenly, when Volkswagen announced that he was leaving, he gave us the opportunity, I had the feeling that it was an opportunity that I could not afford to let go of. We would not be able to continue the same way the following year, but I wanted to do it for a year, because I felt it was an incredible opportunity for us to have the best driver in the world on board. Having done so is an operation that has had a great influence on the whole team. It remains to be seen what happens in the future. "

Q. What do you think the spectacular evolution that Tänak is having this year?

A: "It is a sum of factors, partly because of the material we are giving it, because of the growing experience it has ... But I must also say that when you listen you realize the great influence that Sébastien is exerting I told Ott and Elfyn very clearly at the start of the season: "You need to look at what you do, learn all you can and listen to the best driver in the world." I think that combination of experience, material, In turn, having Sébastien on the team now is basically what has determined the turn Ott needed to give Ott to do what he is doing right now. "

Q. What is it like working with Ogier?

A: "It's very, very gratifying ... It's very ... very demanding, but, in the end, I have to say that it has basically made all the staff on our team more eager." We knew we could do the job, but when You have someone with a record behind them like Sébastien who gets involved in the team, makes everyone concentrate or try a little more. It was what we needed to be in the position we are now.

Q. When he shared a team with him at Volkswagen, Luis Moya said that it reminded him a lot of Carlos Sainz. Do you subscribe to that opinion?

A: "Yes! [Laughs] To be honest, they are very, very, very similar.

Q. In the last decade, he has worked with great talents such as Marcus Grönholm, Mikko Hirvonen, Jari-Matti Latvala, Thierry Neuville ... Is Ogier the best driver to have been on his team?

A: "It's certainly one of the most professional, that's indisputable." "Yes ... He's doing a fantastic job." "Well ... there are three rallies left, let's see if we can win the championship."

Q. Why do you think Tänak is being more competitive lately than he is?

A: "Basically, Ott has been living with this car since the first minute he started rolling in. And it's been a very important part of his development, I think he also feels that this car was designed for him. He was very influential at the beginning, in the tests, asking for exactly what he wanted, which has given him a great deal of encouragement, there is nothing like confidence for a pilot to be able to do his best. That all that process is what it is bringing out right now. "

Q. Do you mean that you have adapted to the Fiesta better than Ogier?

A: "'Seb' found what we already had The news of his joining the team came with very little time We tried to give him as many tests as possible but he was not involved in the development of the car , He was not able to live with him, but that's the reason, it's also true that Ott is undoubtedly evolving very well this season. "

Q. Which of the two has more future in your team?

A: "I do not know. I would like to keep all the drivers I have on the team, but we will see how things are going and what happens at the end."

P. Teemu Suninen has also made the Fiesta shine this season. It was his best standard bearer in the Mil Lakes. Do you also intend to hire it?

A: "I'm impressed with him, being honest, he's one of the guys I worked with who impressed me the most, I'd like to find a way to have him in one of our cars next season, yes."

Q. How are your negotiations with Ford? Do you see it feasible to regain official team status?

A: "I do not know ... It's something we're working on, and hopefully we can find a way to make it happen, but for now, we're not in that position. Ford, to see what happens ... I know exactly what I need to be up to an official team.I am aware that we do not need much to be on the same level as them.But also tell you that, right now, My priority is the business.I have a company with 300 workers and I must focus on that.continuing to keep the equipment and investing a year more as I am doing this season, would be crazy.

Q. What do you think of Nil Solans? Can you have a future in M-Sport?

A: "Next year he will be making a number of WRC2 rallies with us as a reward for the victories he is making. We will see how he can adapt to an R5 in the World Championship. Seen, and their performance is being good. Why not think beyond? ... ".

mknight
23rd August 2017, 19:25
P. Teemu Suninen has also made the Fiesta shine this season. It was his best standard bearer in the Mil Lakes. Do you also intend to hire it?

A: "I'm impressed with him, being honest, he's one of the guys I worked with who impressed me the most, I'd like to find a way to have him in one of our cars next season, yes."

This is news, since Suninen himself said before germany that "he has not heard anything".

The whole spirit of the last part is that he will let Ogier go and turn to "business". :(

EstWRC
23rd August 2017, 19:58
exactly, doesnt sound good at all about future. i am very worried about the lineup of this team next year.

Andre Oliveira
23rd August 2017, 19:58
No. What he said was that will not sacrify his emplooyes.

Andre Oliveira
23rd August 2017, 20:02
Google translation sucks :)

He said: A finales de septiembre tendremos una reunión con la gente de Ford. A ver qué pasa...

In english: We will have a meet with Ford in final of September. Let's see what happens"

SubaruNorway
23rd August 2017, 20:03
This is news, since Suninen himself said before germany that "he has not heard anything".

The whole spirit of the last part is that he will let Ogier go and turn to "business". :(

Even though Sunninen is fast he has a way to go before he can be a factory driver. Media training is one part of it, so i would give him a year to get things sorted.

Andre Oliveira
23rd August 2017, 20:05
Media training? Why?

EstWRC
23rd August 2017, 20:05
Google translation sucks :)

He said: A finales de septiembre tendremos una reunión con la gente de Ford. A ver qué pasa...

In english: We will have a meet with Ford in final of September. Let's see what happens"

okay that changes the game a lot then...lost in translation like they say.

Andre Oliveira
23rd August 2017, 20:06
Try it in estonian. I understand spanish cause is identical to Portuguese.

SubaruNorway
23rd August 2017, 20:24
Media training? Why?

Some rather negative and awkward interviews, I've seen how relaxed he is in Finish so it will come when he gets more confident and used to the pressure.

Andre Oliveira
23rd August 2017, 20:29
Every persson is different. Who don't remember Henning or Marcus different behaviours?

Andre Oliveira
23rd August 2017, 20:38
Meanwhile,

https://scontent.fopo2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20953893_1845343058828446_4417164305281916105_n.jp g?oh=39e74c7214296dda5d841af1ffa5f3c3&oe=5A29F3D6

AnttiL
23rd August 2017, 20:41
Teemu usually doesn't look the post stage interviewer in the eye. That can be perceived as negative. Looks like he's just shy.

Andre Oliveira
23rd August 2017, 21:14
Kimi Räikkonen was more and less the same.

denkimi
23rd August 2017, 23:52
Media training? Why?
so he can say the same meaningless bullshit as all other media-trained drivers.

we don't need mediatraining, we need characters in the sport, people with an opinion.

Munkvy
24th August 2017, 01:50
so he can say the same meaningless bullshit as all other media-trained drivers.

we don't need mediatraining, we need characters in the sport, people with an opinion.

I think what SubaruNorway was saying is he comes across as having no personality... Which is worse than being media savvy in my opinion! I completely agree having character is great, Petter was a brilliant example of this.

Fast Eddie WRC
25th August 2017, 09:34
MW interviewed by AutoHebdo... anyone got it in full ?

http://www.autohebdo.fr/wrc/actualites/wilson-ma-priorite-est-de-perenniser-l-avenir-de-m-sport-188169.html

Andre Oliveira
7th September 2017, 12:55
OTt Tänak with fiesta R5 at saarema ralli

AnttiL
7th September 2017, 13:10
just one of their employees driving a rally with a private car in his home country :cool:

Fast Eddie WRC
7th September 2017, 14:10
Speaking of Tanak... what are the chances of him staying at M-Sport next year ?

tommeke_B
7th September 2017, 15:09

Probably not much bigger than the chances of Ogier staying...

mknight
7th September 2017, 15:10

Higher if Ogier leaves than if he stays.

Tarmop
7th September 2017, 16:14
OTt Tänak with fiesta R5 at saarema ralli

Probably R5, but not specified.

AnttiL
7th September 2017, 17:07

The rumors of going to Toyota are pretty strong. If Ford returns, Ogier will most likely go, but has Tänak already made up his mind? If Ford does not return, Ogier's leaving for sure. Wilson could probably afford Tänak as the number one driver, but does he want to stay? Does he also feel the team may get left behind in development like Ogier does?

racerx1979
7th September 2017, 18:15
Meanwhile,

https://scontent.fopo2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20953893_1845343058828446_4417164305281916105_n.jp g?oh=39e74c7214296dda5d841af1ffa5f3c3&oe=5A29F3D6

Riding the train before it derails.

KiwiWRCfan
7th September 2017, 19:12
299 weeks ago an important announcement was made when Ford posted a youtube video.
300 weeks would be nice to see a similar annonuncement

Andre Oliveira
7th September 2017, 20:25
https://scontent.fopo2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21317620_1859839834045435_7338372238972147778_n.jp g?oh=e7879d8698b3511060d4c6e9e43f60bc&oe=5A59E33D

pantealex
8th September 2017, 07:43

Much lower than Ogier´s staying.

I mean Tänak is very close to Toyota deal but Ogier not so close to Citroen deal.

If choices for Ogier are only Fiesta and C3, I seriously hope he will drive Fiesta 2018.

Fast Eddie WRC
8th September 2017, 11:42
I'm hoping Tanak's long connection with M-Sport and their boss who has given him chances may mean he gives back some loyalty.

Being No.1 driver there should be a nice situation also.

Money may be his priority though.

Andre Oliveira
8th September 2017, 12:11
Connection with Marko Martin is big too.