PDA

View Full Version : What is the worst thing that can happen this season ??

A.F.F.
12th January 2012, 22:27
First I want to say hi to the old members and hello to the new ones :wave:

My fear is that with Ogier gone, Loeb will cruise to the title without any competition. Not that he don't deserve it but I truly hope this season won't be a boring one. If Ford can match the speed of Citroen, Latvala will be in flames, Mikko is allowed to win Sweden and Finland, Sordo can steal top podiums on tarmac and Ketomaa, Tanäk and co are able to visit on podiums, then this will be an interesting rally year. :)

Barreis
12th January 2012, 22:30
First thing that can happen is Latvala's off.

A.F.F.
12th January 2012, 22:34

Agreed. And I fix the title as it should have been.

Barreis
12th January 2012, 22:37
We'll see him this season how he reacts under preasure as a first driver. Interesting to see.

AndyRAC
12th January 2012, 23:13
The lack of budget for Mini, meaning very little development of the car. It showed promise last year......a shame.

Rallyper
12th January 2012, 23:23
The worst thing is no TV-coverage at all (except for MC). Then the sport will slowly die, with VW leaving before it even started.

Motorsportfun
12th January 2012, 23:35
The lack of budget for Mini, meaning very little development of the car. It showed promise last year......a shame.

Let me win EuroMillions, will give them the funding for all 13 rallies and developement too! :D

tfp
12th January 2012, 23:40
Loeb wins again. Not that he wont deserve it (unless Mikko has to give up position more than expected) but Loeb winning has become routine, predictable and monotonous.
The only way for the sport to gain interest from the casual motorsport fan is if he is knocked off the top, otherwise no-ones ears will be listening to our little corner.

How good would it be to have a young flying finn back on top? Jari Matti :)

Or we could have RallyPers situation, that wouldnt be very good either :)

tfp
12th January 2012, 23:42

Hey he hasn't crashed since Germany, that is quite a long time for Latvala ;)
And if I remember right, he had, er, lavotary problems :s mokin:

janvanvurpa
12th January 2012, 23:51

Yes severe lavatorial problems inside those three layer overalls could be the worst that could happen to WRC driver.
I wonder if that is why Block dropped out, maybe they got tired of burning the overalls and disinfecting the car after all those SS1 and SS2 crashes?
Or maybe they simply ran out of overalls.

Prisoner Monkeys
13th January 2012, 01:43
The worst thing that could happen this season?

Well, I'd say that would be the promoter and broadcaster going into receivership when their parent company gets bankrupted, and then stubbornly trying to renegotiate a deal with absolutely no guarnatee that it will be possible to maintain while dragging things out well into the week before the season starts because they don't want to let go of the WRC, but they don't want anyone else to have it if they're forced to give it up because they thing that holding the sport hostage will get them what they want.

Oh, wait ...

RAS007
13th January 2012, 03:38
The worst thing that could happen this season is that it could turn out to be like the last 6 seasons, a total bore, with Loeb winning almost every rally. He obviously deserves it, but has not exactly been facing stiff competition in the last few seasons. If we can start to get back to a period where there are more than 2 manufacturers, and more importantly, more than 1 or 2 drivers who could win each event, that is going to be a step in the right direction.

Plan9
13th January 2012, 03:40
For me the worst thing would be if Meeke didn't do any rallies this year at all or crashing in the few events he has a slim chance of being included in.

I am also worried about Prodrive not doing a full year for whatever reasons.

I also have a feeling that Loeb could break another record for rally wins in an year.

Leon
13th January 2012, 05:09
For me the worst thing would be if Eurosport shows the WRC after midnight or keep delaying the coverage from the scheduled time due to live coverage of snooker or ping pong or golf......

Miika
13th January 2012, 05:47
After the off-season circus with NOS/CSI/WRC/S1T/ACM/FIA/FBI, how could things go worse than they already have been and could have been. Maybe the lack of long-term promoter/TV-coverage could be one thing, Monte´s coverage sounds to be secured but what about the rest of the calendar and the series in general.

Also I think we dodged one bullet already when the NOS deal melted just after Ford had committed to the series in December, not before it. But despite that we knew how this season will go competition-wise, we´ll have to wait for VW to shake things up.

Brother John
13th January 2012, 07:22
First I want to say hi to the old members and hello to the new ones :wave:

My fear is that with Ogier gone, Loeb will cruise to the title without any competition. Not that he don't deserve it but I truly hope this season won't be a boring one. If Ford can match the speed of Citroen, Latvala will be in flames, Mikko is allowed to win Sweden and Finland, Sordo can steal top podiums on tarmac and Ketomaa, Tanäk and co are able to visit on podiums, then this will be an interesting rally year. :)

Nice to see you back posting here. A.F.F.

I myself currently have no idea what will happen this season.
I hope to see a Finn to win often a rally this year.

13th January 2012, 07:29
Other than what has already happened with the North One Sport related issues, the very worst thing that could happen would be for there to be no tv deal / promoter and the sport declines further.

Next for me would be absolute Loeb domination, I want too see competition, presumably this will be Loeb/Latvala, with Solberg and Sordo up there as well. I don't rate Mikko much, he could be a surprise in machinery but see how he goes.

Finally, if Petter Solberg doesn't get a win it will be a disaster! See how he goes, hopefully he can be competitive and get the luck to secure a win! :D

Karukera
13th January 2012, 08:01
TV coverage chaos and less public exposition of the sport.

AndyRAC
13th January 2012, 08:43
The worst thing that could happen this season?

Well, I'd say that would be the promoter and broadcaster going into receivership when their parent company gets bankrupted, and then stubbornly trying to renegotiate a deal with absolutely no guarnatee that it will be possible to maintain while dragging things out well into the week before the season starts because they don't want to let go of the WRC, but they don't want anyone else to have it if they're forced to give it up because they thing that holding the sport hostage will get them what they want.

Oh, wait ...

That would never happen - they all love the sport too much....... er..... ;)

Sulland
13th January 2012, 08:44
Worst thing imo would be is the DS3 har moved further away from the Fiesta, rather than that they are closer in performance.

As one of the few that means that R4T could take over from WRC (if regs are made in a smart way) is that the rules are not hitting bullseye, and the cars will be too expensive, and that another class is out cold.

Prodrive are not able to get a major sponsor for Mini, and that they close the program. Back to two...
No new manufacturers come in.

That the development of use of Internet for fans to follow Rally is not given priority. (Outsource this job to the Czech wizards, that have their heart into this!)

N.O.T
13th January 2012, 08:45
i approve optimistic threads like this one...

Wim_Impreza
13th January 2012, 09:01
Worst things that can happen:
- Death people and / or serious injuries in the sport
- Teamorders
- A World Champion due to SupeRally rules
- No TV coverage
- Mini / BMW that doesn't give budget to do a full WRC program for Sordo
- Tactics in gravel rallies
- Malcolm Wilson says that Matthew Wilson will do again the full WRC season and also the next seasons.

Wim_Impreza
13th January 2012, 09:07

Latvala crashed in a test for the Monte-Carlo last month...

carmichael
13th January 2012, 09:10
i think that won't count. ;)