PDA

View Full Version : Autosport Show 2012

Mark
11th January 2012, 09:31
It's that time of year already, for the Autosport show at Birmingham NEC.

There was a time from about 1997 to around 2005 I think where I went almost every year, but it does get a bit samey once you've been a couple of times.

Anyone going this year?

Mark
11th January 2012, 10:14
The first year I went was 1997. Went down with my Dad in his Lada Riva for the day! That was a busy day as Damon Hill had just won the World Championship a few months before and he was appearing live on stage - the place was absolutely rammed around the main stage, they moved the main stage after that I think because of access problems, but I never saw crowds like that again.

GridGirl
11th January 2012, 10:26
I haven't been since 2005. It got a a bit 'samey' after going for about six consecutive years. I didn't realise it was still taking place until I saw a tv advertisement a couple of days ago.

Iain
11th January 2012, 10:44
Never again. It's a rip off. It was about £17 when I first went in 2002 and you didn't need to have the live action show. Managed to get trade day tickets for 07 and 08 thanks to a loophole in the ticketing structure with the Pistonheads show next door and it was a lot better. Less people and kids with freebie bags and more racing drivers going about. Had a Sunday ticket for 09 and it was bad. They completely changed the hall layout from when I first went and it was a lot smaller. You could really tell that there was a lack of money in motorsport.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Dave B
11th January 2012, 15:47
Can't be bothered! I went for several years in a row, and latterly with a media pass to get some work done for the website, but as others said it became too "samey". I can understand the attraction if you've never been, it's an intersting show to look round, but I wouldn't bother attending more than once every few years.

And if you do go: take your own snacks! The NEC is a blummin' rip off!

Iain
11th January 2012, 15:49
And get the train to the front door if you book early enough. £10 for the carpark......

race aficionado
11th January 2012, 16:23
Car shows are a hot item here in the USA. Having Jaguar/Land Rover as a client I get to edit videos promoting their new cars/models for the shows in Detroit, Los Angeles and New York. *Check out the new Range Rover Evoque, it's winning many awards and accolades. I think it is a great looking car and it is made in the UK.
The show in NY is fortunately affordable and the commute is easy.

:s mokin:

Mark
11th January 2012, 16:26
Well Autosport isn't really a car show, there's no road going models of cars on show; it's all motorsport.

race aficionado
11th January 2012, 16:47
oh . . . . .

Iain
11th January 2012, 23:53
We don't even have a new car show in the UK anymore. Since they decided to move it to London because everyone lives there, then the motor industry went bankrupt. I saw photos a friend posted on Facebook of the Toronto Auto Show and was very jealous.

fred2265
12th January 2012, 15:12
It's been a few years, I might make the effort this time.

CarlMetro
13th January 2012, 14:19
It used to be a good excuse for a forum meet up but it was more about the food and beer after the show than the show itself to be honest. The show is OK if you only go once every 5 years or so and I haven't been for a few years but too busy with work this year. Might take my son up there next year though.

Mark
13th January 2012, 14:32
It used to be a good excuse for a forum meet up but it was more about the food and beer after the show than the show itself to be honest. The show is OK if you only go once every 5 years or so and I haven't been for a few years but too busy with work this year. Might take my son up there next year though.

When we went karting I went to Birmingham on the day but didn't bother going to the show.

14th January 2012, 12:12
yeah i heard about this show but this year i am very busy going to Italy on a business trip i can't come