PDA

View Full Version : Accident prone car brands

Rudy Tamasz
9th January 2012, 08:18
In my country there's been quite a few discussions lately on Web forums about road accidents. Although statistics doesn't support it numerically, BMW drivers are gaining a horrible reputation. There were a few highly publisized accidents with fatalities that involved BMWs. Based on that people start thinking that BMW is a preferred car for aggressive idiots. Forum visitors often describe BMW drivers as reckless teens or tweens who buy a dated Beemer with the first cash they earn and then crash it at high speed showing off to their girlfriends killing them in the process.

A usual discussion about this would go like this:

A: Surprise, surprise. Another high speed crash with fatalities. A BMW involved.
B: All BMW drivers need to have their heads checked.
C: You misrable beggars! You envy us cool BMW folks because you cannot afford BMWs yourselves!
D: Media like to give BMW a bad name, that's why they never cover accidents with other brands involved, etc.

Poor BMW. In '90s their cars had a reputation of gangsters' cars and now they have a reputation of reckless drivers' cars. I was wondering, do other brands in other countries have a reputation for accidents?

SGWilko
9th January 2012, 11:22
My FD drives a BMW - he has no concept of;

driving at a sensible speed, and

what indicators are for.

Other than that, he is a great driver! :p

Mark
9th January 2012, 12:33
The other day I was cruising along as usual in my BMW coming onto one of my motorways, which was very busy with inferior cars.

First off, I couldn't believe that the volume of traffic DIDN'T slow down for me AT ALL as I came off the slip road! I had to squeeze into a barely big enough gap between two cars in order to get onto my motorway! (The driver of the car behind me did realise his mistake though and honked an apology to me with a long blast of his horn.)
Unbelievably, I had to do the same again before I could get to the BMW lane. (Why do underlings use this lane? Surely everyone knows it is for BMW drivers only?)
Anyway, once I was in the BMW lane and posing along at 110mph enjoying the adulation that the inferior car drivers were giving me, I noticed an inferior car ahead of me which was not only in the BMW lane of my motorway, but was driving at a ridiculous 70 mph!

Naturally, I got to within a foot or so of his rear bumper and flashed my headlights to remind him he shouldn't be in the BMW lane of my motorway and to get out of my way.

Of course, once he realised it was a BMW behind him, he did just that, but I could hardly believe it when he pulled straight back out behind me! He also tried to keep up with me and when he realised I would out-run him, he put on some blue lights in his front grill and urged me to get onto the hard shoulder so that he could congratulate me on my excellent car.

Needless to say, I was eager oblige and when we had stopped, the man gave me a piece of paper confirming what I already knew - that my car goes fast! Apparently he wants everyone to know what a superior car I have, so I had to take my driver's licence to a Police Station to be sent away to have some points put on! (They're not free points either - they're £20 each and I was only allowed 3.) But the man at the Police Station said that because I drive a BMW, it won't be much longer before I earn the full 12 points, and then I won't even NEED a driving licence, so they will take it off me! See, now THAT's the sort of respect you get when you buy and drive a BMW.

Dave B
9th January 2012, 16:00
Rover 75s seem to be the only car named after the average age of their drivers. Whenever I see one ahead I can guarantee I'll catch it up whereupon I'll be stuck at painfully a slow speed until the driver ether (a) turns off without indicating or (b) passes away at the wheel, whichever comes first.

inimitablestoo
9th January 2012, 16:17
In all my years of reading What Car? magazine, I can only remember reading about two of their long-term fleet cars having accidents involving badgers. They were both Mazdas. Answers on a postcard please... :s

SGWilko
9th January 2012, 16:45
Rover 75s seem to be the only car named after the average age of their drivers. Whenever I see one ahead I can guarantee I'll catch it up whereupon I'll be stuck at painfully a slow speed until the driver ether (a) turns off without indicating or (b) passes away at the wheel, whichever comes first.

.....or the fuel pump burns out due to the really poor design of the saddle fuel tank which, if you allow to run below one quarter full, the syphon from one side starves one of the fuel pumps which fails due to running dry. Very common, and came about as a result of the design when rover was owned by.....

.....guess who???????

Captain VXR
9th January 2012, 17:37
I have to say its Audis that have the worst drivers from what Ive seen

fred2265
9th January 2012, 18:28
Yes, I'd go with Audis too.

http://flagcounter.com/count/7uR/bg=FFFFFF/txt=FFFFFF/border=FFFFFF/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0.jpghttp://2.s01.flagcounter.com/count/7uR/bg=FFFFFF/txt=FFFFFF/border=FFFFFF/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0.jpghttp://s10.flagcounter.com/count/Sb7/bg=FFFFFF/txt=FFFFFF/border=FFFFFF/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0.jpg

Rollo
9th January 2012, 19:22
Toyotas.

Land Cruisers on Sydney's affluent North Shore are usually driven by mums who are also too short to see beyond the window line of their car. 5 of the 7 children killed by motor cars (since I've been working where I am) were killed by Land Cruisers, one by an X5 and one by a Range Rover.

Camry and Corolla drivers haven't for the most part worked out that their cars have indicator stalks. They appear to be driven by people who want a reliable motor car but also have either no concept of traffic around them, or they're just too lazy to check in their rear view mirrors.

My little red Ka was written off by a lady in a Yaris who mistook the green arrow for the normal green light and accelerated into the back of it.

driveace
9th January 2012, 19:33
Well I know which cars you see broken down most on the German motorways,parked at the side with the bonnets up and safety triangle,put up and hazard lights on,it's usually a BMW

Eki
9th January 2012, 19:35
I have to say its Audis that have the worst drivers from what Ive seen
BMWs, Audis and Volvo station wagons. Not necessarily in that order.

Interestingly they are all Western European cars. Probably some kind of "my ego is too big (and my dick too small) for a rice cup" syndrome.

ioan
10th January 2012, 00:12
The other day I was cruising along as usual in my BMW coming onto one of my motorways, which was very busy with inferior cars.

First off, I couldn't believe that the volume of traffic DIDN'T slow down for me AT ALL as I came off the slip road! I had to squeeze into a barely big enough gap between two cars in order to get onto my motorway! (The driver of the car behind me did realise his mistake though and honked an apology to me with a long blast of his horn.)
Unbelievably, I had to do the same again before I could get to the BMW lane. (Why do underlings use this lane? Surely everyone knows it is for BMW drivers only?)
Anyway, once I was in the BMW lane and posing along at 110mph enjoying the adulation that the inferior car drivers were giving me, I noticed an inferior car ahead of me which was not only in the BMW lane of my motorway, but was driving at a ridiculous 70 mph!

Naturally, I got to within a foot or so of his rear bumper and flashed my headlights to remind him he shouldn't be in the BMW lane of my motorway and to get out of my way.

Of course, once he realised it was a BMW behind him, he did just that, but I could hardly believe it when he pulled straight back out behind me! He also tried to keep up with me and when he realised I would out-run him, he put on some blue lights in his front grill and urged me to get onto the hard shoulder so that he could congratulate me on my excellent car.

Needless to say, I was eager oblige and when we had stopped, the man gave me a piece of paper confirming what I already knew - that my car goes fast! Apparently he wants everyone to know what a superior car I have, so I had to take my driver's licence to a Police Station to be sent away to have some points put on! (They're not free points either - they're £20 each and I was only allowed 3.) But the man at the Police Station said that because I drive a BMW, it won't be much longer before I earn the full 12 points, and then I won't even NEED a driving licence, so they will take it off me! See, now THAT's the sort of respect you get when you buy and drive a BMW.

:up: :rotflmao:

ioan
10th January 2012, 00:14
Audi and BMW drivers do have a bad reputation but mostly for good reason.

Ah, so I was right in giving up the A4 and choosing the Espace instead of the BMW. :D ;)

When you see a BMW pelting down the wrong lane at a junction and then slap its indicator on to cut in, do you let them in? lol

Do I have a choice? If I don't do it they will most probably crash into me or another car in the vicinity.

ioan
10th January 2012, 00:20
Well I know which cars you see broken down most on the German motorways,parked at the side with the bonnets up and safety triangle,put up and hazard lights on,it's usually a BMW

Reminds me the huge cloud of smoke and debris a 5 series BMW produced 6 months ago about 100 meters ahead of me when they accelerated after a speed limitation area, I didn't know if I has to laugh or take care and find a safe way around it. ;)

Brown, Jon Brow
10th January 2012, 22:18

I thought Bolton Midnight was banned!

Oh, wait. It's Mark.

Malbec
10th January 2012, 22:26
BMWs, Audis and Volvo station wagons. Not necessarily in that order.

Yeah those are the worst brands, as well as big luxury SUVs.

Interesting to hear people talk about seeing loads of Beemers on the side of the road with the bonnet up, thought it was just me. Don't think they're half as reliable as people believe they are.

SGWilko
11th January 2012, 09:08
I would imagine it was. I drive alot more sensibly now I don't drive an Audi. ;)

What is the point of an Audi, it's just a VW but you pay more for it :confused:

Mark
11th January 2012, 09:11
What's the point of any car brand?!

Mark
11th January 2012, 09:35
The reality is that the car brand you choose speaks about your personality - or at least that's what the manufacturers want us to think. People rarely choose a car purely based on objective numbers. It's more about what does driving a KIA vs driving a BMW 'say' about me personally.

SGWilko
11th January 2012, 10:17

Why are we here? ;)

SGWilko
11th January 2012, 10:23
The reality is that the car brand you choose speaks about your personality - or at least that's what the manufacturers want us to think. People rarely choose a car purely based on objective numbers. It's more about what does driving a KIA vs driving a BMW 'say' about me personally.

I have two criterion for cars in our household:-

1. Company car. WIll be used mostly by 'er indoors, so needs to be a spacious family motor which is economical and practical, and wont become a tax burden. So, I got a 1.8 Diesel Smax.

2. Personal motor. Going to be a runaround and general workhorse used mainly by me for trips to tip etc. So got a 2nd hand diesel Astra. Proven reliability (has the Isuzu lump) and not overly costly to run/insure/maintain.

I don't care what Jo Bloggs thinks about the car I drive - I know my John Thomas is big enough to fill a pram (twice) and have never felt the need to throw my money at a performance car dealer........... (PS - I don't fold my PJ's nor do I spot trains) ;)

Rudy Tamasz
11th January 2012, 10:55
I notced I started thinking about buying a really small car, like Fiat 500. I wonder if it's rational thinking or just an inverse form of vanity.

Mark
11th January 2012, 11:06
I notced I started thinking about buying a really small car, like Fiat 500. I wonder if it's rational thinking or just an inverse form of vanity.

But FIAT 500 itself is a 'fashion' brand. If you want a small and cheap car try the Ford Ka, as it's basically the same car as the 500.

Mark
11th January 2012, 12:58
And you'll look less like a divvy. :p

Possibly but there's still the issue of "what the car says about you"

FIAT 500 = I think I'm super cool and trendy
Ford KA = I have no money.

Yet they are basically the same car. It's odd really :)

Iain
11th January 2012, 13:09

As Rich Hall said on that episode of Top Gear: "It's a Rover 75, the guy behind the wheel is barely alive."

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

SGWilko
11th January 2012, 13:12
Possibly but there's still the issue of "what the car says about you"

FIAT 500 = I think I'm super cool and trendy
Ford KA = I have no money.

Yet they are basically the same car. It's odd really :)

Or;

FIAT 500 - you have no imagination so, like a sheep, went with the crowd (and possibly a bit ginger beer)

FORD KA - You made an informed choice and chose function over form.....

SGWilko
11th January 2012, 13:13
As Rich Hall said on that episode of Top Gear: "It's a Rover 75, the guy behind the wheel is barely alive."

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I always saw the Rover 75 as the poor mans BMW.

Iain
11th January 2012, 15:03
Or;

FIAT 500 - you have no imagination so, like a sheep, went with the crowd

I would say that is having an imagination. Too many people round here pootling round in Citroen C1/C2/C3s, Nissan Micra/Jukes and Peugeot 107/207/308s because they have no imagination, no clue about cars and because everyone else has one. As well as all the white Corsas........

A friend of mine keeps slagging off my car because I've had 3 SEATs, but at least I had an imagination and didn't buy what everyone else has. He on the other hand was like a sheep and bought an old Peugeot 407 which had an enormous gearbox failure the other week. I told him he'd suffer from buying an old Peugeot, but did he listen...... ;)

Don't like the Ka, it's not very well proportioned. It looks like a dog sitting with it's bum in the air.

Mark
11th January 2012, 15:18
But at the same time it would be easy to pigeon hole yourself as you are similar to my wife in that you want something "slightly different", which is why she bought a SEAT and is why you bought a SEAT ;) . VAG knows this too.

Iain
11th January 2012, 15:53
Well, I sort of bought my first one purely by chance rather than the "something different" reason. I was actually looking at MGs (but let's not go there) and they had three Ibizas in the showroom, so I did the deal then, mainly because I was desperate to get rid of the Clio.

So what did Mrs Mark go for? :)

Mark
11th January 2012, 16:11
Well, I sort of bought my first one purely by chance rather than the "something different" reason. I was actually looking at MGs (but let's not go there) and they had three Ibizas in the showroom, so I did the deal then, mainly because I was desperate to get rid of the Clio.

So what did Mrs Mark go for? :)

SEAT Ibiza! She was desperate to get rid of her 206.

driveace
11th January 2012, 20:24
Yes ,what happened to Daniel,I thought he was a Fiat 500 salesman,then some guy posted a thread about the 500,and every other post was by Daniel.Did he vanish after that ?

driveace
11th January 2012, 20:29
We all have different tastes,and buy what we think will serve us best.I have a Fiesta 1.8 td,a KIA Sorento 2.5 Tdi,and a Merc C.Class 220 tdi,all for different jobs,that I need them for,and they are all reliable,and do all I expect of them,and I truly believe if you look after them,they look after you,and don't break down

ioan
11th January 2012, 20:54
What is the point of an Audi, it's just a VW but you pay more for it :confused:

Actually a VW is a tad older Audi platform that you pay less for, kind of poor guys Audi.

ioan
11th January 2012, 20:56

Let's not bring KIA and, for example Hyundai drivers, into it, they are worse than Audi and BMW drivers, something like sleeping snails.

ioan
11th January 2012, 20:58

Bad idea.

Iain
11th January 2012, 23:51
To be honest I think they are both nice little cars and my wife would like both. I remember a guy who used to post here (Daniel) used to rave on about his 500 and from what he said it wasn't a bad car at all. I think the new 'Ka' is as trendy but possibly wouldn't hold its value as much due to cult status. I think both cars are primarily aimed towards young women in their marketing and the 500 was the fits serious challenge to the Mini as you could have different colour combo's etc and of course it was a lot cheaper. I think the perception of the 500 over the Ka is that it is a more expensive car although I doubt there a great deal of difference in the price.

I think it differs in what you get for your money. Fords tend to be less equipped than their rivals, until you spend the cash a bit more. I'm sure our Ford-owning Admin will clarify this.

Roamy
12th January 2012, 06:50

Most of them are pretty overpriced and Worthless. In this country you can cheat a bit and probably go 80 MPH in some stretches of Interstate highways.
There are cameras and cops everywhere. all the cities are broke and just can't wait to write a ticket. Actually in this country a v-8 is worthless.
Detroit keeps pumping out all these idiot cars for the the masses of idiots thinking they are going somewhere in a 500 hp road car. Oh well what do you expect in a country where Ron Paul can get on the ballot and garner 23 % of the vote.

Mark
12th January 2012, 09:09
I think it differs in what you get for your money. Fords tend to be less equipped than their rivals, until you spend the cash a bit more. I'm sure our Ford-owning Admin will clarify this.

Not sure what you mean by that? My car is pretty well equipped tbh, but like any make you can get basic models with hardly any kit.

wedge
12th January 2012, 14:42
But FIAT 500 itself is a 'fashion' brand. If you want a small and cheap car try the Ford Ka, as it's basically the same car as the 500.

It's only in the past few months that Ford have lowered their list prices to under £10k.

If you want small cheap car then its Korean these days.

wedge
12th January 2012, 14:48
Back to OP: Nissan Micras. It seems the vast majority are members of the 40mph club. No wonder there's so many accidents on A & B roads caused by impatient drivers.

Rudy Tamasz
12th January 2012, 14:59
Bad idea.

Okay, maybe a Fiesta or a Fusion will do.

schmenke
12th January 2012, 15:26
Let's not bring ... Hyundai drivers, into it, they are worse than Audi and BMW drivers, something like sleeping snails.

Honestly, my accelerator pedel is to the floor, but can only manage 90kph because of the head-wind :(

schmenke
12th January 2012, 15:27
A BMW is considered a luxury car around here, typically owned by middle-aged bankers or CEOs who enjoy flaunting their wealth :mark: .

I can't single out any particular make or model but by far the most aggressive drivers around here are those that drive a pick-up truck. Both testosterone and impatience levels seem to increase exponentially when behind the wheel of a pick-up :mark: .

SGWilko
12th January 2012, 15:32
Honestly, my accelerator pedel is to the floor, but can only manage 90kph because of the head-wind :(

This annoys me a lot especially when I have the Cruise Control on when on the motorway (normally at about 65/70ish). Up hills you move out to overtake the small engined cars, but as the hill evens off they speed up as their engine cannot cope with hills. So you are left to pull back in. Of course, if they had read the highway code, accelerating while being overtaken is a no-no. This is why on the spot fines and orders to re-take the driving test should be in place.

Mark
12th January 2012, 16:13
Accelerating when being overtaken is only a no no on S2 roads, on multi lane roads it matters not.

SGWilko
12th January 2012, 16:32
Accelerating when being overtaken is only a no no on S2 roads, on multi lane roads it matters not.

Hmmmmm.

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you. (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314)

schmenke
12th January 2012, 16:33
I thought accelerating is permissible as long as your speed doesn’t max out above the posted limit?

Mark
12th January 2012, 16:53
Hmmmmm.

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you. (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070314)

Yes... on S2 roads.

Mark
12th January 2012, 16:54
I thought accelerating is permissible as long as your speed doesn’t max out above the posted limit?

That's for the overtaker, not the overtakee.

schmenke
12th January 2012, 16:56
True. I more often the overtakee :p :

Captain VXR
12th January 2012, 17:19
Most of them are pretty overpriced and Worthless. In this country you can cheat a bit and probably go 80 MPH in some stretches of Interstate highways.
There are cameras and cops everywhere. all the cities are broke and just can't wait to write a ticket. Actually in this country a v-8 is worthless.
Detroit keeps pumping out all these idiot cars for the the masses of idiots thinking they are going somewhere in a 500 hp road car. Oh well what do you expect in a country where Ron Paul can get on the ballot and garner 23 % of the vote.

Care to explain how not policing the world, and ending the drug war are stupid policies?
I'd be more worried about the level of support for the two Ricks

I dont get America's obsession with massive vehicles, as in any urban area, they aren't needed

ioan
12th January 2012, 18:59
This annoys me a lot especially when I have the Cruise Control on when on the motorway (normally at about 65/70ish). Up hills you move out to overtake the small engined cars, but as the hill evens off they speed up as their engine cannot cope with hills. So you are left to pull back in. Of course, if they had read the highway code, accelerating while being overtaken is a no-no. This is why on the spot fines and orders to re-take the driving test should be in place.

Last week when driving back from holidays I got stuck behind some kind of small Korean car, for about 5 kms where overtaking was not allowed, while she (it was a young woman) was driving 80 kmh or less in 100 kmh areas, so as soon as the overtaking restriction was lifted I went for an overtake on a rather long straight, needles to say she pushed her sh!tbox up to 120 kmh when she saw that I was finally trying to overtake!
There are some nuts out there who should have never been given a driving license yet the police doesn't even bother to give a fine for those who don't signal changing lanes, who overtake on the wrong lane (right one around here), who drive over on red lights, who do not respect the rules of overtaking, who will not give you priority when they should and so on, they only concentrate on speeding which is the less dangerous of all in reality.

ioan
12th January 2012, 19:00
Hmmmmm.

That's pretty much high I knew it also, no matter what kind of road you are driving on.

ioan
12th January 2012, 19:02

Overtaking on the slower lane a car that is on the fast lane is a no no, and speeding up while overtaken is just that, no matter the kind of road.

ioan
12th January 2012, 19:03
BTW, I watched a BMW while driving to work, it changed lane 3 times without signaling it, needles to say it overtook left right and middle during the same maneuvers. :down:

wedge
12th January 2012, 23:11
Actually a VW is a tad older Audi platform that you pay less for, kind of poor guys Audi.

No its not. It's the other way round.

A4 & A6 have their own chassis.

A3 & TT use the same platform as the Golf. The new A1 is the same as the Polo.

driveace
13th January 2012, 09:23
Any way the cars that are involved in the most accidents are the one driven by crap drivers,in my opinion !

SGWilko
13th January 2012, 09:30
BTW, I watched a BMW while driving to work, it changed lane 3 times without signaling it, needles to say it overtook left right and middle during the same maneuvers. :down:

Don't you have to request bulbs to be placed into the indicators on BMW's when ordering, usually at a hideous extra cost.

Or do the owners mistakenly think they are too posh to push [the indicator stalk]?

Actually, on my moped the other night on way home from work, I was following a BMW (probably the only one in the entire world) who was careful and used their indicators - I should have pulled them over and given 'em a medal!!!!!

gloomyDAY
13th January 2012, 10:17
Honda Civic 90's hatchback

wedge
13th January 2012, 14:20
I think ioan may have confused the connection with Skoda as they use older VW technology. Right track though.

The Golf, followed by the Polo are the most re-badged/re-hashed chassis by VAG.

Fabia is really a Polo

Octavia is based on Golf

Superb is based on Passat which itself based on the Golf

Only the Seat Exeo uses the 'old' Audi A4.

SGWilko
13th January 2012, 14:22
The Golf, followed by the Polo are the most re-badged/re-hashed chassis by VAG.

Fabia is really a Polo

Octavia is based on Golf

Superb is based on Passat which itself based on the Golf

Only the Seat Exeo uses the 'old' Audi A4.

Like Vauxhall, they based their 'MPV' the Touran on their small hatch. Zafira based on the Astra, and cannot accomodate 3 car seats in the middle just like the Touran - based on the Golf - cannot.

wedge
13th January 2012, 14:37
It's called platform sharing.

Rudy Tamasz
13th January 2012, 15:01
Zafira based on the Astra, and cannot accomodate 3 car seats in the middle just like the Touran - based on the Golf - cannot.

I myself sat in a Zafira with three rows of seats. You must have mistaken it for the Meriva.

Malbec
13th January 2012, 15:10
I think ioan may have confused the connection with Skoda as they use older VW technology. Right track though.

Not necessarily, the Skoda Fabia used VW's new small car platform first, before the Polo and years ahead of the A1.

Audi's A4 is shared with the Passat and the A6 is handed down to SEAT.

I don't think the VW group particularly care which brand gets what platform or technology first, its just a matter of which product comes to the end of its cycle when the new technology becomes available.

GridGirl
13th January 2012, 15:51
I don't think the VW group particularly care which brand gets what platform or technology first, its just a matter of which product comes to the end of its cycle when the new technology becomes available.

I do believe this is correct and also applies when they facelift current models. :)

ioan
13th January 2012, 18:02
Don't you have to request bulbs to be placed into the indicators on BMW's when ordering, usually at a hideous extra cost.

Or do the owners mistakenly think they are too posh to push [the indicator stalk]?

More like they believe that their car is so great that it read their minds and does it on its own! ;)

ioan
13th January 2012, 18:06
I myself sat in a Zafira with three rows of seats. You must have mistaken it for the Meriva.

Sure they do have three rows of seats, but they do not have 3 full seats in a row.

ioan
13th January 2012, 18:10
No its not. It's the other way round.

A4 & A6 have their own chassis.

A3 & TT use the same platform as the Golf. The new A1 is the same as the Polo.

The A4 and the Passat share the same chassis at least for the last two generations. And at least in Europe the newer A4 was launched before the newer Passat.

Not necessarily, the Skoda Fabia used VW's new small car platform first, before the Polo and years ahead of the A1.

Audi's A4 is shared with the Passat and the A6 is handed down to SEAT.

As far as I know the Skoda Superb is based on the previous A6 platform.

wedge
14th January 2012, 01:07
The A4 and the Passat share the same chassis at least for the last two generations. And at least in Europe the newer A4 was launched before the newer Passat.

No, only 1 generation.

Both shared the same B6 platform prefix because both were in their 6th iteration.

As far as I know the Skoda Superb is based on the previous A6 platform.

Wrong. Unless Eastern Europeans are getting preferential treatment...

ioan
14th January 2012, 09:56
No, only 1 generation.

Both shared the same B6 platform prefix because both were in their 6th iteration.

Still the A4 was first out. At least in Germany and Austria. Might be a marketing difference to the UK. Around here Audi is seen as the top car of the VAG, followed by VW, Skoda and Seat.

Wrong. Unless Eastern Europeans are getting preferential treatment...

Yes and no, it uses a modified (read lengthened) VW Passat B6 and VW Passat CC Plattform PQ46, as the Superb wheelbase is 60 mm longer than that of the B6 Passat.

Anyway, back to BMW drivers!

14th January 2012, 12:10
i thin more that the brand of the car another thing is there it is our responsibility to drive the car according to the rules then the accidents will get reduce!

A.F.F.
15th January 2012, 09:43
Back in the 80´s there was a saying in Finland; Saabism is sickeness, based on the Saab-drivers behaviour. Novadays it's BMWs, Audis, Volvos and big-arse SUVs of any brand. :down:

Mark
15th January 2012, 10:40

BMWs always have right of way. So indicators are not required.

ioan
15th January 2012, 13:09
School buses, two of them involved in a pile up:

Texting Teenager Responsible For Deadly Highway Pile-Up (http://autos.aol.com/article/texting-teenager-responsible-for-deadly-highway-pile-up/?ncid=txtlnkusauto00000020)

SGWilko
15th January 2012, 15:42

Yes, but can you get three child seats on that middle row? The middle seat is designed with the anorexic among us in mind.....

ioan
15th January 2012, 17:46
Yes, but can you get three child seats on that middle row? The middle seat is designed with the anorexic among us in mind.....

Exactly.

Mannie
10th April 2012, 20:42
.....or the fuel pump burns out due to the really poor design of the saddle fuel tank which, if you allow to run below one quarter full, the syphon from one side starves one of the fuel pumps which fails due to running dry. Very common, and came about as a result of the design when rover was owned by.....

.....guess who???????

Ah yes but then you see the odd bods at MG/Rover started to think out side the box of them BMW's and I am the proud owner or one of the few ZT-T 260's V8's, shoe horning a FORD Mustang engine into the front wheel car and making it rear wheel drive............but you all know this...........however for those who might think it's just another MG/Rover them owners of BMW's or what ever you like, you can fit a Supercharger to the standard 4.6 lump and go from 260 BHP to 420 BHP with 488 ft lbs of the big T .
A bit of a shock when I cruise past with my ladders on the roof, OH thier faces are a picture.
All the above are faults but change I WOULD NOT.....................................

odykas
11th April 2012, 15:36
I think there are 2 different issues for discussion:

1) Accident prone car brands
2) Car brands that attract accident prone drivers

In most of the cases it's #2 that makes the difference.

ioan
12th April 2012, 19:15
With the risk of coming across as a misogynist I vote for Smart driven by women. Almost rolled over one today when she forgot what priority to the right means. :\

D-Type
12th April 2012, 20:14
Nissan Micra - the driving school favourite, hence chosen by many timid drivers as their first car (which presumably is why Nissan offer driving schools such generous terms). Nervous driver = accident prone
Small white vans - driven by young wannabee jack-the-lads who feel they don't look 'cool' in a small van. Disgruntled driver = accident prone
BMW - because they're BMW drivers - 'nuff said

This could so easily turn into "Vent your prejudices" couldn't it?

ShiftingGears
13th April 2012, 00:28
Toyota Camrys or Corolla Sedans. I think it's because of their tame image that you get people who are inept at driving buying them.