PDA

View Full Version : Question: Do you guys think a 96 lexus es300 would make an ok rally car?

ricerjimmy323
25th December 2011, 03:29
Hi guys Im new to this forum and it didn't allow me to post new threads in more relative areas so I came here to ask you guys. Do you think a 1996 es300 which essentially a v6 camry in a tuxedo could make a suitable rally car? I already have the vehicle and seeing as how im going to buy an evo x as a strict track/DD i would like to use my es for some fun.

Gregor-y
25th December 2011, 16:23
In North America? No. Buy a used Golf, Neon or Sentra that's already caged and logged. You will also need a trailer, tow vehicle, Co driver, crew, accommodations and entry fees so you should probably forget the Evo.

Rollo
27th December 2011, 21:28
Wouldn't a 4.8m car and weighing more than 1530kg be rather cumbersome? Like trying to go ballet dancing in steel-capped boots?

Zeakiwi
29th December 2011, 02:41
Are there any caged Honda Civics about they are a reasonable track/ rally dual purpose vehicle.

racingfanatic
1st January 2012, 15:25
Or perhaps an subaru or mitshubishi?

Steve Boyd
1st January 2012, 16:26
Rally the Evo & use the Lexus for track days!

Bolton Midnight
3rd February 2012, 14:55
Sell both and buy a M3 problem solved.

Gregor-y
3rd February 2012, 15:50
Are there any caged Honda Civics about they are a reasonable track/ rally dual purpose vehicle.
I've seen plenty of civics at events, and an Integra type-R for that matter, but they're not quite as friendly as a Golf for emergency repairs. These days, of course, you can find any number of 10+ year old Imprezas with or without turbos that have plenty of parts available and are very easy to work with.

janvanvurpa
3rd February 2012, 23:39
Hi guys Im new to this forum and it didn't allow me to post new threads in more relative areas so I came here to ask you guys. Do you think a 1996 es300 which essentially a v6 camry in a tuxedo could make a suitable rally car? I already have the vehicle and seeing as how im going to buy an evo x as a strict track/DD i would like to use my es for some fun.

Already having the vehicle is no good reason to spend the $6-10K need to prepare the vehicle.

The foremost concern for a newbie should be: long term growth potential of the basic car you choose multiplied by "how much fun per dollar spent".

In other words "what advantages in terms of cost-to fun-benifit does a particular car have?" .

Also "are there any developmental dead ends" in a particular car?" (like there are in the knee jerk "Get a Golf or Senta or Neon" for which alternate final drives, good LSD, gear sets and reliable driveshaft/CVs either don't exist or cost 10 to 15 times more than for other more suitable cars, THOSE are developmental dead ends. (and is the primary reasons why guys sell their Golves, Neons and Sentras)

Of course you haven't been troubled to tell us who you are, where you live, how old you are, what your budget is, what your goals are...

So we have to assume you are not really at all even half-serious about getting out ion the woods and spraying some gravel around or you would have told us all that out of sheer bubbling over enthusiasm.

Gregor-y
4th February 2012, 01:16
Already having the vehicle is no good reason to spend the $6-10K need to prepare the vehicle.

The foremost concern for a newbie should be: long term growth potential of the basic car you choose multiplied by "how much fun per dollar spent".

In other words "what advantages in terms of cost-to fun-benifit does a particular car have?" .

Also "are there any developmental dead ends" in a particular car?" (like there are in the knee jerk "Get a Golf or Senta or Neon" for which alternate final drives, good LSD, gear sets and reliable driveshaft/CVs either don't exist or cost 10 to 15 times more than for other more suitable cars, THOSE are developmental dead ends. (and is the primary reasons why guys sell their Golves, Neons and Sentras)

So you're going to recommend a Quattro? ;) Name anything you can build (or buy already built and logged) for less then $15k and still have any budget for parts, transportation and entry fees. At that level getting a car to run is a lot more important than trying to get an optimal gear ratio. I was thinking in terms of starter cars, which is why people sell them if they decide to continue with rallying and move up to something with all the wiz-bang accoutrements you mention. Or if they decide rally is too expensive for what they get out of it.

Bolton Midnight
4th February 2012, 01:30
$6-10k to prep for road rallying, what do you need to do that in the US? i the UK I used to use hire cars any old piece of junk would do. I've used Renault Lagunas, Peugeot 306 diesel, VW Vento, Vauxhall Astra diesel etc just as they came from Aviz/Hertz.

janvanvurpa
5th February 2012, 17:18
So you're going to recommend a Quattro? ;) Name anything you can build (or buy already built and logged) for less then $15k and still have any budget for parts, transportation and entry fees. At that level getting a car to run is a lot more important than trying to get an optimal gear ratio. I was thinking in terms of starter cars, which is why people sell them if they decide to continue with rallying and move up to something with all the wiz-bang accoutrements you mention. Or if they decide rally is too expensive for what they get out of it.

I'll name 2 cars, but you should already know them: XR4Ti and Volvo 240 Turbo. Built, long booked and rallied for under 10K.
Dead reliable, and the guys can upgrade as they get more time in the car. Which they have been doing.

Initial purchase cost of under $200 means you can spend at bit on the good bits you need, like decent suspension...

And the critical question about buying used rally cars: why is the guy selling it? Is it to move "up" ( by factors of 5 to 20 in terms of cost---is that what you meant?) or move ON? from a car that they spent now $2000 for a cage $2000 for suspension if they get good stuff, hours and hours of work on shell and sump guard, wiring, lights, maybe some paint----and throwing away half that investment----are they doing that cause the car just isn't fun enough??? Or the NEXT step is going to be what they imagine "Too gawddam expensive" (which is what I hear).

Far better to get into a car which is basically good, is fun in near stock form and which can be bit by bit affordably upgraded...

janvanvurpa
5th February 2012, 17:19
$6-10k to prep for road rallying, what do you need to do that in the US? i the UK I used to use hire cars any old piece of junk would do. I've used Renault Lagunas, Peugeot 306 diesel, VW Vento, Vauxhall Astra diesel etc just as they came from Aviz/Hertz.

Stage rallies is the subject.

Gregor-y
10th February 2012, 20:48
I'll name 2 cars, but you should already know them: XR4Ti and Volvo 240 Turbo. Built, long booked and rallied for under 10K.
Dead reliable, and the guys can upgrade as they get more time in the car. Which they have been doing.

Those are actually really good ideas, though the Merkurs may be hard to find (at least around here). 240s definitely are not; they're still all over Chicago, even with this climate. Granted most have rust and aren't in very good shape, but they do survive. I'd still like to find a decent one for myself.