PDA

View Full Version : Toyobaru - the Hachiroku is back!

wedge
14th December 2011, 14:39
Who said Toyota are boring? (OK, OK, its a Subaru :D )

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Larry%20Chen%202/dec/frs/LAR_7687.jpg

Rollo
15th December 2011, 11:48
It's not a Hachiroku in spirit at all.

The original "hachi-roku" or 86, has a chassis code that tells its own story:
A - for the 4A engine, 1.6L in-line four cylinder (96kW)
E - is Corolla
8 - The 8th Gen Corolla was E80 and variants
6 - if for the sixth variant of this generation.

If you were to compare that with the current "86" then the chassis code might read (I speculate because I don't know yet):
D - for the D-4S boxer flat-4 engine, "jointly developed" by Toyota and Subaru (though in reality entirely Subaru). Subaru call the engine the FA20 in their documentation; it puts out 149kW
KD - which I think is about the right sequence for what the next Toyota model is
1 - is for the 1st Generation.
0 - is for the only variant of this generation.

Putting it all together we'd get DKD10, which if it was actually carring on the "spirit of the AE86 Corolla" by taking an existing one, should read DE155.

Or perhaps if they wanted a true 1.6L coupe, they should have taken the Yaris and made ZP133 with the 1.6L "Valvematic" in-line four in the European and Japanese Domestic Market Corolla/Auris.
Hachiroku my butt. It's not even a retro car in the same vein as the Mini, Beetle or Fiat 500, all which do a better job at it than this does.

Malbec
15th December 2011, 12:36

Yes it is, you're just being pernickity!

Sure it isn't a straight four and it has increased in capacity somewhat but the old ingredients of just enough power, just enough grip with more than enough mod-ability are still right there.

I'm glad the Japanese along with the French are still willing not to smother the driver in an excess of grip and let them have fun with the tail. The Mini/Beetle/500 are retro in appearance only, the 86 is retro in both the way it drives and its balance between power and grip. I know which one I value more.

ioan
16th December 2011, 00:22
Hachiroku or not, it doesn't inspire anything to me. Rather confused design there, and bad handling too.

Zeakiwi
16th December 2011, 00:55
Toyota are supposedly using their own injection on the engine.
Subaru's BRZ sports car here next year - Motoring - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm?c_id=9&objectid=10771921)

The styling has a bit of Supra IV about it.

wedge
16th December 2011, 01:12

1190kg - which is 'light' by today's standards

200bhp - which is modest by modern standards

'Fun' handling in an old school way.

Most critics say the hype has been justified.

It's not even a retro car in the same vein as the Mini, Beetle or Fiat 500, all which do a better job at it than this does.

Yuk, I hate retro cars. And it even shouldn't be.

Rollo
16th December 2011, 01:31
1190kg - which is 'light' by today's standards
200bhp - which is modest by modern standards

The XP130 Yaris vs the AE86:
Power: 117bhp vs 112bhp
Weight: 1056kg vs 970kg

The new "86" is another 80odd bhp more than the original and more than 200kg. The original was a lithe little car which earnt its reputation by Tōge racing.

If anything Toyota have re-invented the ST185 Celica.

Zeakiwi
16th December 2011, 01:38

The new "86" is another 80odd bhp more than the original and more than 200kg. The original was a lithe little car which earnt its reputation by Tōge racing.

The St185 at least had a four wheel drive version.

Gregor-y
16th December 2011, 03:07
Celica would be a better name in spirit if not marketing. This isn't a normal hatchback with a souped up motor like the original 86.

wedge
16th December 2011, 15:58

The Yaris is a FWD mini-hatch. Isn't it a bit like comparing a Polo/Lupo GTi to the original Golf GTi?

The ST185 was 4WD for Group A WRC.

For sure the name is a marketing gimmick. The 'GT' part is resonate because the 2000GT was also influenced in its design brief. Much like the Fiat 500 the hype has been justified regardless if a names is *******ised.

Rollo
17th December 2011, 06:40
The Yaris is a FWD mini-hatch. Isn't it a bit like comparing a Polo/Lupo GTi to the original Golf GTi?

The original AE86 Corolla was a 1.6L hatchback and the current Yaris is also a 1.6L hatchback which puts out almost the same power. It's almost a like for like comparison.

The original Golf GTi was also a 1.6L hatchback putting out 108bhp. The current Lupo GTI is also a 1.6L hatchback but putting out 123bhp. Again it's almost a like for like comparison.

What this says is that both the Corolla and the Golf have suffered from model bloat. A friend of mine had an E20 Corolla coupe with the 1.2L 3K motor in it. That's smaller than any Yaris has ever been.

wedge
17th December 2011, 15:08
What this says is that both the Corolla and the Golf have suffered from model bloat. A friend of mine had an E20 Corolla coupe with the 1.2L 3K motor in it. That's smaller than any Yaris has ever been.

Cars generally have been getting more bigger, heavier, power; better safety, more technology. Does it make it a fair comparison to compare a car from one era to the next?

More importantly why on earth compare a FWD car to a RWD one?

Rollo
17th December 2011, 21:16
Cars generally have been getting more bigger, heavier, power; better safety, more technology. Does it make it a fair comparison to compare a car from one era to the next?

If you are comparing like for like, then yes.

More importantly why on earth compare a FWD car to a RWD one?

Because the Corolla after all was a tarted up hatchback, the new 86 is not.

This question implies that comparing the AE86 Corolla Sprinter with the AE92 Corolla Sprinter would be futile despite the latter having exactly the same engine and nameplates as the previous model and being sold in exactly the same markets and market segments.

Steve Boyd
18th December 2011, 16:07
Surely the correct comparison with the AE92 is the AE82 - both FWD hatcbacks. The AE86 was neither it was a RWD coupé available as either a 2-door with boot or 3-door liftback, depending on market. It has no direct equivalent in the E90 or later series.