PDA

View Full Version : Next mobile phone

Knock-on
13th December 2011, 14:41
Contract up for renewal in next 2 months.

Thinking of an iPhone 3 or 4, Galaxy S2, Experia Arc or something else.

Any ideas?

race aficionado
13th December 2011, 15:51
Siri

i would go for the latest iphone. That is what I will be doing soon.

I want to get to know Siri

pino
13th December 2011, 15:53
Go for the iPhone 4S you won't regret it ;)

Gregor-y
13th December 2011, 16:06
I just got a Motorola Razr which is a little large but much thinner than an iPhone. It replaced a seven year old original Razr. So far it's very nice and the large screen is useful for maps and reading web forums.

Knock-on
13th December 2011, 16:51
I'm tempted to go with an iPhone 3 because I don't need a iPhone 4 do I? Is there really a big difference to a technophobe like me?

Then a friend of mine showed me his Experia which looked quite easy to use.

Then we have the operating system, apps etc.

Basically, I would find it useful to have Gmail, Facebook and of course this venerable forum on a smartphone. Possibly a bit of sat nav and music (I have an extensive and embarrassing 1980's iTunes library) Could I download that to an Android?

Apple seems the safe bet to me. It's the most established and the Customer services is 2nd to none which is important to me but I am concerned about Battery life. My old brick of a Nokia still lasts upwards of 5 days.

Decisions, decisions :)

Knock-on
13th December 2011, 18:01
One thing I liked about the Experia is that it has HDMI output so I can stream my Sky Sports package to any TV :) Can any other phone do this?

Mark
14th December 2011, 09:57
You mean the 3GS? Nah I wouldn't that's well out of date now and will be massively out of date by the time this contract is up for renewal. If you do want to save a little get an iPhone 4 instead of a 4S it isn't that different.

If you need a new phone right now then go for the 4S. If you don't already have an iPhone 4 it's a really excellent phone, for the likes of me who already has a '4' it's a disappointing upgrade but only because it's only a slight improvement on an already excellent handset.

What phone do you have now? The basic choice you have is not so much between hardware as between ecosystems as once you're into one OS and have bought apps etc then changing is going to be difficult or expensive.

You're basic choices are between iOS, Android and Windows Phone. I would choose based on the OS first as quite likely this won't be the only phone you ever buy running it.

Knock-on
15th December 2011, 13:34
You mean the 3GS? Nah I wouldn't that's well out of date now and will be massively out of date by the time this contract is up for renewal. If you do want to save a little get an iPhone 4 instead of a 4S it isn't that different.

If you need a new phone right now then go for the 4S. If you don't already have an iPhone 4 it's a really excellent phone, for the likes of me who already has a '4' it's a disappointing upgrade but only because it's only a slight improvement on an already excellent handset.

What phone do you have now? The basic choice you have is not so much between hardware as between ecosystems as once you're into one OS and have bought apps etc then changing is going to be difficult or expensive.

You're basic choices are between iOS, Android and Windows Phone. I would choose based on the OS first as quite likely this won't be the only phone you ever buy running it.

At the moment I have a Nokia 6300 but think it's about time I got with the new Century :D

Wasn't thinking about a Windows phone. Had a HTC running Windows 5 about 6 years ago and it scarred me for life!!

Sony seem to be on top of the Android game and the Xperia Arc S looks pretty good. It also has an HDMI slot for playing Sky Sports on a Tv.

Otherwise a iOS on an Apple 4 seems the way to go but I wouldn't be able to run a Tv.

Mark
15th December 2011, 15:20
Do you really need to plug your phone into your TV? I know you want to use Sky GO for F1 but I think that's not the best reason for choosing a particular phone :D

SGWilko
15th December 2011, 15:49
(I have an extensive and embarrassing 1980's iTunes library) Could I download that to an Android?

Android.

Get yoursel a Netgear Stora, load it up with 2 2TB disks, RAID 1. Pop your iTunes library on it, then use the web client to remotely access and play the music wherever you are. Or any DLNA app will do when on the same subnet at home.

Knock-on
15th December 2011, 16:03
Do you really need to plug your phone into your TV? I know you want to use Sky GO for F1 but I think that's not the best reason for choosing a particular phone :D

Is there any way of plugging a iPhone into the telly?

When there is minimal difference between the android and iOS to a techno-muppet like me, the HDMI makes quite a difference especially when I can just plug it into the Telly in the other room and have Sky multi-room for nothing :)

I can also get one for nothing with 300 text, 300 cross network mins, 500mb download and unlimited web access for about £19 per month which is a lot better than Apple.

Now, I like Apple. I have an iPod classic 5G since they came out about 6 years ago and it's still going strong. However, my taste in music hasn't developed for the last 20 to 30 years where phone from 12months ago are seriously behind the curve.

Weighing up the price, the functionality and the HDMI connection, the Sony looks the best fit unless I'm missing something?

Knock-on
15th December 2011, 16:05
Android.

Get yoursel a Netgear Stora, load it up with 2 2TB disks, RAID 1. Pop your iTunes library on it, then use the web client to remotely access and play the music wherever you are. Or any DLNA app will do when on the same subnet at home.

Or just pop my iPod on :)

I was just wondering if I could download my Library and use it on a Android phone and use my iPod as a backup device.

GridGirl
15th December 2011, 16:48
Android.

Dont say that....ours is only raided with 1TB disks. Must have more memory! ;) :p

SGWilko
15th December 2011, 16:57
Dont say that....ours is only raided with 1TB disks. Must have more memory! ;) :p

So's mine actually - but that was a couple of years back. Soon be cost effective enough to whack SSD in it...........

Mark
15th December 2011, 16:57
iPhones can do HDMI too Play.com - Buy Apple Digital AV Adapter - iPad / iPhone / iPod audio / video / charging / data adapter - HDMI - Apple Dock connector (M) - Apple Dock connector, 19 pin HDMI online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe! (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/19517518/Apple-Digital-AV-Adapter-iPad-iPhone-iPod-audio-video-charging-data-adapter-HDMI-Apple-Dock-connector-Apple-Dock-connector-19-pin-HDMI/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:19517518%7Cpr d:19517518)

Not worth getting an entirely different phone for the sake of a £35 adapter, and it makes more sense to have is as an adapter as you aren't carrying around an HDMI all the time when you don't need it.

SGWilko
15th December 2011, 16:59
Or just make 'em even richer and purchase Apple TV......

janneppi
16th December 2011, 18:34
Silly question. :)
How does this contract phone thing works after the 2(or what ever it is) year contract ends? You get to unlock the phone and use another operator on it or what? I'm asking because i've only ever bought unsubsidised phones and chosen the operators seperately.

Mark
16th December 2011, 19:40
I've never known a contract phone to be locked.

The usual thing is to get another subsidised phone on a new contract or you can go onto a month by month contract usually with more minutes or a better price. But; you have to ask for these things as the mobile company will quite happily keep taking your money after the end of the contract.

t_paulet
7th January 2012, 08:51
next mobile phone ... 2012year i want a iphone 4s.

wacked
7th January 2012, 19:28
Normally contract phones are locked to the network, depending on the network, some let you unlock it for free or charge you some amount to get it unlocked.. where a new phone is concerned I suggest the Android.. The google nexus phone by samsung is good, HTC sensation is excellent, the android syncs easily with lots of apps. and is very convenient and easy to use.. HTC's have a little issue with the battery life, but update the software and close some unnecessary applications and its all good.. using a HTC wildfire right now, planning on upgrading to the the sensation soon..

Roamy
8th January 2012, 03:25
Siri

i would go for the latest iphone. That is what I will be doing soon.

I want to get to know Siri

I want to get to know SADE !

yodasarmpit
8th January 2012, 12:45
If you have other iOS products, then I would say get an iPhone 4s. Use the same account and share apps and other items.

If you don't then any top end android phone will do the job.

Robinho
9th January 2012, 11:39
My two peneth, for what its worth, is to go for the Galaxy S2, all the things your've mentioned you want you can do on that on Android, as well or better than Iphone. I you are going Iphone, make sure its a 4 or preferebley a 4S as the new processors make the current IOS much more usable, but the dual core in the Samsung isevery bit its equal. I've got a HTC desire HD and the only thing that it lacks its a bit of battery life and its not quite so fast now (over a year old)

you can still put all your music on the samsung (and use it as a ringtone), plus having removable storage and battery are much better for the maintenance of the phone IMO.

The new Xperia is noce, but the samsung will take the newer versions of Android better, the new HTC phones are not far off the samsung, but the Samsung Galaxy S2 is from what I've seen the best Android option.

left field options the new Nokia Windows phones are creating a bit ofastir, but i think its best to wait for the next generation of these to really compete with Iphone or Android

Robinho
9th January 2012, 11:42
Or just pop my iPod on :)

I was just wondering if I could download my Library and use it on a Android phone and use my iPod as a backup device.

yes, you can drag and drop your music folders straight from your PC (Itunes folders) to your Android device music folder and away you go. plus you can use them as ringtones, unlike the faff you have to go through on the Iphone

frisor
9th January 2012, 11:52
HTC Sensation XL med Beats Audio. nice nice phone. HTC Sensation (http://www.htc.com/dk/smartphones/htc-sensation-xl/)

race aficionado
9th January 2012, 14:48
Got my Iphone - the upgrade features from 3gS to 4S are great and I'm starting to learn how to make good use of Siri.
What is still a bummer some times is the lack of service. I was in the boondocks of Houston and my ATT service was very low. Thank goodness for the WFI service available at the house.

There is always a TV advert war between the carriers and I imagine it is the same everywhere. Those low bars suck.

Bagwan
9th January 2012, 15:37
A number of years ago I got a cell phone .

It even flips open like the communicators in Star Trek .

I use it to make phone calls .

race aficionado
9th January 2012, 15:52
A number of years ago I got a cell phone .

It even flips open like the communicators in Star Trek .

I use it to make phone calls .

I also once had a flip phone - always my favorite design - "Beam me up Scottie!" :)

Dave B
9th January 2012, 15:58
The only flip phones I ever had were various Motorolas I got given when I was in the industry, and they were enough to put me off Motorola products for life.

Bagwan
9th January 2012, 16:49
My phone is a Samsung .
I had to go look at the phone to find out .

In a town not far from me , a young man was charged with damaging a car .
He took out the back window of a hatchback , whilst texting , riding his bicycle .

Aint the future great ?

I use mine as a phone .

I also like to write letters to people .

ioan
10th January 2012, 01:00
My phone is a Samsung .
I had to go look at the phone to find out .

In a town not far from me , a young man was charged with damaging a car .
He took out the back window of a hatchback , whilst texting , riding his bicycle .

Aint the future great ?

I use mine as a phone .

I also like to write letters to people .

:up:

Texting on a phone is one of the worse things around, and utterly useless on top of it.
Pick a up the damn phone and talk to the other person, that's how it needs to be done.

cali
10th January 2012, 07:56
Everybody is talking about iOS or Android, but I have purchased Nokia N9 with MeeGo OS and absolutely love it. If your interested of being little bit different than those grey masses then it's a good choice. Has it's own ups and downs but I just had to buy myself a Linux phone :p

BDunnell
10th January 2012, 09:24
Texting on a phone is one of the worse things around, and utterly useless on top of it.
Pick a up the damn phone and talk to the other person, that's how it needs to be done.

Er... no. I have always found texting surprisingly convenient, and not just for personal messages. You may as well say that e-mail, instant messaging and the like have no value. Methods of communication change.

Iain
10th January 2012, 09:37
The only flip phones I ever had were various Motorolas I got given when I was in the industry, and they were enough to put me off Motorola products for life.

If that was between 1999 and 2000, then I apologise for the poor quality levels, as that was my department! I had a cheap Motorola v.dot flip phone from them as my first phone and it was alright. Only kept it 6 months though, as someone offered to double my money on it! :D

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

10th January 2012, 13:26
im sok rdnk!!! dokntworry!!! emmm... jus.t.. erply my!!!! fck..you..

14th January 2012, 12:15
completely bored with Iphone this time ui am going to take Galaxy or Nokia mostly Galaxy

BleAivano
14th January 2012, 12:59
get the Galaxy S2 or a Sensation XL, the two best phones out there at the moment.
However the S2 successor, the Galxy S3, is speculated to be on its way and will perhaps be
launched the mobile phone fair in February.

You also have the HTC Edge which is likely to be released towards the spring so you'll just have to wait and se.

cali
16th January 2012, 11:16
Top spec is not the only thing to look at. Lot to do with OS as I find Samsung's TouchWiz inferior to HTC's Sense (both Android).
Personally, in usability I would put iOS and MeeGo on top of OS standings. Do not like Android at all and WP is ... err ... it's Microsoft :D

BleAivano
16th January 2012, 16:14
Top spec is not the only thing to look at. Lot to do with OS as I find Samsung's TouchWiz inferior to HTC's Sense (both Android).
Personally, in usability I would put iOS and MeeGo on top of OS standings. Do not like Android at all and WP is ... err ... it's Microsoft :D

actually i prefer HTC's android over Samsung's dito.

Ios well rubbish. :p

cali
16th January 2012, 16:20
actually i prefer HTC's android over Samsung's dito.

Yes, that's what I meant ;)