PDA

View Full Version : Wearing the niqab, burka

schmenke
13th December 2011, 14:28
The right to religious expression or a form of oppression born from archaic cultural customs?
Is there a place for such face-coverings in modern society?

Posting this as an off-shoot of the "Real Islam" thread, as well as in light of this recent decision by the Government of Canada:
Face veils banned for citizenship oaths - Canada - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/12/12/pol-kenney-citizenship-rules.html)

“…The government is placing a ban on face coverings such as niqabs for people swearing their oath of citizenship, Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said Monday.
The ban takes effect immediately.
As a result, Muslim women will have to remove their niqabs or any other face-covering garments, such as burkas, before they can recite the oath of citizenship to become Canadians…”

More to ponder here:
The Muslim headdress debate around the world - Canada - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/12/12/f-muslim-headdress.html)

Discuss... civilly

edv
13th December 2011, 15:43
Covering up the women is not religious....it is cultural.
And modesty in this case is simply another form of control...to compensate for the weakness of the men.
I say good on Jason Kenney.

ioan
13th December 2011, 18:40
Is there a place for such face-coverings in modern society?[/URL]

No, there isn't.

I know some will say we should let them Muslim women do what they want.
The question is do they really want to wear the burka?
I don't think so. And I'll tell you why. Because most of them only do it when they are in their countries.

Last time I was flying home from Riyadh there were at least 20 women who boarded the plane wearing burka, when we landed in Frankfurt I think I only saw one wearing it, all the other were wearing jeans or leggins and didn't even had their head covered with a simple scarf. I was amazed so I told this to my colleagues who did travel there for decades and they said it's normal, it was always like this.
The best part is that their husbands don't care, they also come to Europe to have a drink.

Eki
13th December 2011, 21:09
The best part is that their husbands don't care, they also come to Europe to have a drink.
Finns used to travel to the Soviet Union and later to Russia for drinking and prostitutes, since alcohol was expensive in Finland and prostitution was illegal. But when Finland joined the EU, alcohol became cheaper and when the Soviet Union collapsed, the prostitutes from the former Soviet Union came to Finland.

Roamy
14th December 2011, 01:01
Finns used to travel to the Soviet Union and later to Russia for drinking and prostitutes, since alcohol was expensive in Finland and prostitution was illegal. But when Finland joined the EU, alcohol became cheaper and when the Soviet Union collapsed, the prostitutes from the former Soviet Union came to Finland.

now you are getting somewhere :)

555-04Q2
14th December 2011, 08:09
The right to religious expression or a form of oppression born from archaic cultural customs?
Is there a place for such face-coverings in modern society?

Posting this as an off-shoot of the "Real Islam" thread, as well as in light of this recent decision by the Government of Canada:
Face veils banned for citizenship oaths - Canada - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/12/12/pol-kenney-citizenship-rules.html)

“…The government is placing a ban on face coverings such as niqabs for people swearing their oath of citizenship, Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said Monday.
The ban takes effect immediately.
As a result, Muslim women will have to remove their niqabs or any other face-covering garments, such as burkas, before they can recite the oath of citizenship to become Canadians…”

More to ponder here:
The Muslim headdress debate around the world - Canada - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/12/12/f-muslim-headdress.html)

Discuss... civilly

If someone wants to walk around with their face covered, so be it. I don't get the whole face covering thing anyway :crazy: But if the law of the land says it is illegal/banned, then take it off.

schmenke
14th December 2011, 14:31
After a bit of googling I've learned that many Islamic countries currently have laws forbidding the burqa in public buildings, schools, etc.
It seems that a fuss is made only when a non-secular country tries to enact similar laws :mark: .

Eki
14th December 2011, 15:47
After a bit of googling I've learned that many Islamic countries currently have laws forbidding the burqa in public buildings, schools, etc.
It seems that a fuss is made only when a non-secular country tries to enact similar laws :mark: .

To me it seems there has been quite a fuss in many of the Arabic countries lately. Their dictatorships have been squelching their Islamists, but seem to lose grip, some already have.

SGWilko
14th December 2011, 16:32
I once accidentally found myself in an arabic strip joint on a drunken night out....

....all the men were shouting 'show us your face' to the stripper.

Malbec
15th December 2011, 11:57
Last time I was flying home from Riyadh there were at least 20 women who boarded the plane wearing burka, when we landed in Frankfurt I think I only saw one wearing it, all the other were wearing jeans or leggins and didn't even had their head covered with a simple scarf. I was amazed so I told this to my colleagues who did travel there for decades and they said it's normal, it was always like this.

Its exactly the same flying to Iran, except that often the husbands are mullahs!

There is nothing in the Quran demanding women cover their faces. The rules are the same for Christian women and married Jewesses, they have to cover their hair only.

I know some Muslims who say that the burka should be banned as it is a purely cultural affair that people mistake for the religion and causes nothing but trouble.

schmenke
15th December 2011, 14:49
.... The rules are the same for Christian women and married Jewesses, they have to cover their hair only....

I believe the Q'ran doesn't even go that far. I think it merely states for women to "dress modestly".

Bolton Midnight
17th December 2011, 14:33
BA woman loses crucifix battle - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1575008/BA-woman-loses-crucifix-battle.html)

Odd how these things are a very one way street in'it, I blame the liberals.

Brown, Jon Brow
17th December 2011, 18:08
I blame the liberals.
In the 10th line of the article - 'Vince Cable, the Liberal Democrat MP, condemned the policy'.

Bolton Midnight
18th December 2011, 09:04
Small l not big L, see?