PDA

View Full Version : Space Things

Rollo
9th December 2011, 11:59
Tommorrow night (Sunday Morning 11-12-11) between 1145pm and 0130am there will be a total eclipse of the moon. These things look pretty cool, because although the earth blocks out all of the direct sunlight, the earth's atmosphere bends the light from the red end of the spectrum so we get a blood moon.

Also, does anyone know if the Asteroid Belt is on the plane of the ecliptic or not?

donKey jote
9th December 2011, 18:46
yes

Gregor-y
9th December 2011, 20:24
I was told this week that gypsum was found on Mars. Cheap housing for all!
Not sure if the eclipse will be visible from my location, even if it is clear.

schmenke
9th December 2011, 21:17
I believe the eclipse will be visible, barely, from my neck of the woods, but I'll be a b_gger if I wake up at 5:00am on Saturday morning to view it :mark: .

Storm
10th December 2011, 18:55
It was an amazing sight (atleast for us here) clear skies and all. It did not really turn into the Blood Moon though..wasn't that coppery red during the totality phase as in earlier eclipses. Shot a few photos too but they aren't that great since I have a piddly and slow 55-300 lens (+ my poor night/sky photo skills). Nevertheless I might upload one tomorrow, for those of you lazy enough or unfortunate not to have seen it. (you schmenke!) ( It did help that the eclipse started at 7pm here and lasted till abt 9pm :p : )

edv
10th December 2011, 19:30
Well, schmenke, you didn't have to wake up that early to see it. I'm just a few km away from you and enjoyed the eclipse 'totality' at about 7:05am.
And this after a wine-fuelled xmas party and getting home at 2am.
For shame.