PDA

View Full Version : Sky launches Sky Sports F1 HD

Mark
25th November 2011, 12:35
Just got this press release

SKY SPORTS F1 TM HD –
THE ULTIMATE FORMULA 1 TM EXPERIENCE

SKY SPORTS will launch a dedicated channel for its new in-depth Formula 1TM coverage, taking viewers under the skin of the sport.

Starting in March 2012, Sky Sports F1 TM HD will get Sky customers closer than ever, with more action, analysis and information - on their TV, online and mobile devices - throughout the season.

This new home of Formula 1 TM will be the only place to enjoy live coverage of the whole Grand Prix TM season, including all practice and qualifying sessions and every race in the calendar.

From launch, Sky Sports F1 TM HD will give viewers:

· EVERY RACE LIVE: From March to November, every moment of each race will be live in HD, without the interruption of adverts.

· LIVE PRACTICE & QUALIFYING: Every practice and qualifying session for each Grand Prix TM will be shown live on one channel, Sky Sports F1 TM HD.

· THE FULL SEASON IN-DEPTH: Over nine full months, viewers will have a wealth of programmes with in-depth interviews, archive action and weekly magazine shows.

· EXTRA LIVE CONTENT: Through Sky’s interactive service, fans can follow the action through on-board cameras, go behind the scenes with the teams in the pits, and follow race data, to take them further inside the sport.

The dedicated channel will be provided at no extra charge to all Sky TV customers who take both Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 or the HD pack of channels. It will be found at 408 in Sky’s on-screen guide, after a scheduled move of the Sky Sports channels. Sky Sports viewers without the Sky+ HD pack will receive a standard definition version.

Sky Sports F1 TM HD viewers can also follow the action wherever they are with all live coverage on Sky Go, through online, mobile or tablet devices, at no extra charge.

Announcing the new channel, Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports, said: “Formula 1 TM followers are hungry for more and we want to give them the ultimate experience. It’s not just every minute of every race but a channel devoted to Formula 1TM.

He continued: “We can now tell the whole story of the season, from every Grand Prix TM, from start to finish. Formula 1 TM will get the full Sky Sports treatment. We have big plans for live shows and a rich line-up of Formula 1 TM programmes; getting to the drivers, exploring the technology and lapping up the drama.

“With a dedicated channel for Formula 1 TM we can also give all sports fans the depth and breadth of sports they demand every weekend, right through the year.”

Jeremy Darroch, Sky’s Chief Executive, added:“This brand new channel again proves Sky’s commitment to investing in the best content for customers. It will give even more value to Sky customers and create another reason for others to consider pay TV.

“This is another example of the value we are creating for customers through our content leadership. It follows the recent launch of other high-quality new channels like Sky Atlantic and Sky 3D as well as our growing commitment to UK original content in areas such as drama, comedy and the arts.”

More information on Sky Sports F1 TM HD can be found at www.sky.com/f1 (http://www.sky.com/f1).

Notes:
The F1 Logo, F1, FORMULA 1, FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, GRAND PRIX and related marks are trademarks of Formula One Licensing BV, a Formula One group company. All rights reserved.

Sky TV with HD £30.25, Sky TV with Sky Sports 1 & 2 £40, HD Pack £10.25 extra.

Mark
25th November 2011, 12:36
Note this part
The dedicated channel will be provided at no extra charge to all Sky TV customers who take both Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 or the HD pack of channels.

So you don't have to subscribe to Sky Sports to get F1 coverage! A subscription to the HD pack (currently £10.25 per month) is sufficient.

RS
25th November 2011, 13:06
Note this part
So you [b]don't have to subscribe to Sky Sports to get F1 coverage! A subscription to the HD pack (currently £10.25 per month) is sufficient.

That's good news. I have HD but no intention of getting the Sports pack. I was thinking of dropping HD but I'll keep it if I get the F1 included.

One thing I won't miss from the BBC coverage is those stupid poncey race intro pieces they do.

Alfa Fan
25th November 2011, 13:51
Note this part
The dedicated channel will be provided at no extra charge to all Sky TV customers who take both Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 or the HD pack of channels.

So you don't have to subscribe to Sky Sports to get F1 coverage! A subscription to the HD pack (currently £10.25 per month) is sufficient.

Scratch what I said before. It seems having an HD subscription will be sufficient!

GridGirl
25th November 2011, 13:53
Sounds like poor wording to me but you never know. :)

Mark
25th November 2011, 13:55
No it clearly states on the website "Free for our Sky Sports 1&2 Customers and our Sky HD customers". These are two seperate packs, Sky Sports, and Sky HD. You get the channel if you subscribe to the HD pack (currently £10.25 per month) or you subscribe to Sky Sports - or both! It doesn't mention Sky Sports HD.

Note this part "Sky TV with HD £30.25, Sky TV with Sky Sports 1 & 2 £40, HD Pack £10.25 extra."

Why would they mention the "Sky TV with HD £30.25" option, which doesn't include Sky Sports, if you couldn't receive the F1 channel.

SGWilko
25th November 2011, 13:55
Scratch what I said before. It seems having an HD subscription will be sufficient!

Whatever, you need money to watch it - so as far as I am concerned they can go f*ck themselves........

Mark
25th November 2011, 14:04
Whatever, you need money to watch it - so as far as I am concerned they can go f*ck themselves........

That's true and if you don't have Sky at all then it's still an expensive do. However it now seems that the cost for F1 is £10.25 a month, not the £20 per month for Sky Sports, or £30.25 if you wanted Sky Sports with the HD package. Plus many people will already have a Sky HD subscription so it may well turn out that they can watch F1 after all without paying any extra than they do now.

Personally I was considering subscribing to HD anyway in order to get the 1TB Sky+HD box, but fully intending to cancel the HD sub after 12 months, however I might just keep it on now. It seems that Sky are tying a lot of things in with the HD subscription - free boxes, F1 etc in order to encourage people to pay the extra £123 / year.

There is speculation that it will also be available on Virgin - which is pretty likely as OfCom wouldn't take kindly to Sky keeping it to themselves, but it remains to be seen what the cost will be. There's also speculation it may appear on Freeview via TopUpTV, but that seems much less likely.

RS
25th November 2011, 14:12
As they now have a dedicated channel I would like to see coverage from the pre-season testing. As many of the car launches are held at the tests they could show these too. Would make the off-season a bit shorter!

Mark
25th November 2011, 14:16
Keep in mind that the channel doesn't launch until March. We don't know what it will actually consist of or what the broadcast times will actually be - it's entirely possible it'll be off-air outside of race weekends. However it has potential to provide a lot more, imagine a 24 hours a day F1 channel, which in addition to showing reruns of that weekends race could show entire seasons of old Formula 1 in full, back to back, as they would have the time to do it.

Dr. Krogshöj
25th November 2011, 14:17

But that was the case previously, hasn't it? You needed money to pay the licence fee to watch the BBC, didn't you?

And what's wrong with the principle of paying money for a service you decide to recieve?

SGWilko
25th November 2011, 14:20
But that was the case previously, hasn't it? You needed money to pay the licence fee to watch the BBC, didn't you?

And what's wrong with the principle of paying money for a service you decide to recieve?

If I want to watch ONLY SKY F1, I'd still need to pay the licence fee and then Sky's fees, and on the basis that the BBC had an exclusive contract ya da ya da etc..........

I have to pay the licence fee to watch the drivel on commercial tv too BTW.

Mark
25th November 2011, 15:07
Apparently they've been repeatedly confirming on Sky Sports News that you only need an HD sub to get the new channel, you do not need to subscribe to Sky Sports.

pino
25th November 2011, 15:48
I hope I can get all this from Sky Italy too :D

Dave B
25th November 2011, 16:30
120 quid extra on top of my existing sub for 9 or 10 races. That's at least £12 per race. Plus the licence fee.

Compared with £145 for 19 races this year plus hundreds of hours of other BBC programmes.

I'm afraid that Sky can stick it where the sun don't shine.

Dave B
25th November 2011, 16:36
BBC F1 live races next year are China, Spain, Monaco, Europe, Britain, Belgium, Singapore, Korea, Abu Dhabi, Brazil

From lee mckenzie...

Alfa Fan
25th November 2011, 16:40
BBC reveals 2012 F1 coverage plans - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96453)

Confirmed here. So Sky have the Australian GP season opener.

Alfa Fan
25th November 2011, 16:44
Australian GP SKY
Malaysian GP SKY
Chinese GP SKY & BBC
Bahrain GP SKY
Spanish GP SKY & BBC
Monaco GP SKY & BBC
Canadian GP SKY
European GP SKY & BBC
British GP SKY & BBC
German GP SKY
Hungarian GP SKY
Belgian GP SKY & BBC
Italian GP SKY
Singapore GP SKY & BBC
Japanese GP SKY
Korea GP SKY & BBC
Indian GP SKY
Abu Dhabi GP SKY & BBC
US GP SKY (if it happens)
Brazilian GP SKY & BBC

AndyL
25th November 2011, 18:44
I am slightly more tempted now, as I had been considering upgrading to Sky+HD anyway.

However I have a nagging suspicion that F1 is just a loss-leader to push HD uptake, and after a year or two the packages will get "re-organised" so F1 ends up in the full-price Sky Sports package.

Mark
25th November 2011, 19:15
I've confirmed it with Sky in case there was any doubt

Hi Mark
Yes, that’s exactly what the press release means. Sky TV customers with the HD package will have access to the F1 channel.
Kind Regards

Mark
25th November 2011, 19:16
I am slightly more tempted now, as I had been considering upgrading to Sky+HD anyway.

However I have a nagging suspicion that F1 is just a loss-leader to push HD uptake, and after a year or two the packages will get "re-organised" so F1 ends up in the full-price Sky Sports package.

Quite possibly but you only have to take HD for 12 months after which you can cancel so you can reassess if the situation changes

christophulus
25th November 2011, 20:21
Still not impressed, no matter how Sky/F1 dress it up, it's still £30+ per month (£360 per year) more than it should be to follow F1. So no thanks, might catch the highlights next year but I've really gone off the sport since this was announced.

Dr. Krogshöj
25th November 2011, 22:32
If I want to watch ONLY SKY F1, I'd still need to pay the licence fee and then Sky's fees, and on the basis that the BBC had an exclusive contract ya da ya da etc..........

I have to pay the licence fee to watch the drivel on commercial tv too BTW.

I didn't know, I thought the licence fee was only for the BBC.

acescribe
26th November 2011, 09:46
I upgraded to HD with a deal to get a Sky+ box which has now expired, I was considering what to do but seeing as I can get F1 without any MORE money to Sky I think I'm pretty happy with the status quo.

What they did not put in that annoucement is that they are going to show all, or at least most of the support races from the Grand Prix weekend which will be good too.

And if they do have David Croft and Martin Brundle as their commentary team that is obviously a very strong line up.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th November 2011, 10:45
Australian GP SKY
Malaysian GP SKY
Chinese GP SKY & BBC
Bahrain GP SKY
Spanish GP SKY & BBC
Monaco GP SKY & BBC
Canadian GP SKY
European GP SKY & BBC
British GP SKY & BBC
German GP SKY
Hungarian GP SKY
Belgian GP SKY & BBC
Italian GP SKY
Singapore GP SKY & BBC
Japanese GP SKY
Korea GP SKY & BBC
Indian GP SKY
Abu Dhabi GP SKY & BBC
US GP SKY (if it happens)
Brazilian GP SKY & BBC

There is no point in BBC showing the early morning races like Australia, Malaysia and Japan.

Brown, Jon Brow
26th November 2011, 10:52
I'm more interested with 'Sky Go' as my brother and my sister both subscribe to Sky Sports.

Stuartf12007
26th November 2011, 11:17
i wont be paying sky to watch it, ill stick with BBC live and highlights.

AndyL
26th November 2011, 13:25
Quite possibly but you only have to take HD for 12 months after which you can cancel so you can reassess if the situation changes

Yes true, but I think they'll be counting on most people not doing that. The marketing department know it's much harder to give up a luxury you've become accustomed to, than to forgo the same luxury when you've never had it.

AndyL
26th November 2011, 13:38

It's a bit misleadingly named. It's really a television tax, that's then to fund public service broadcasting.

Looking it up on Wikipedia, I was surprised to find that actually most countries in Europe have a TV licence. Your own country is in the minority in not having one. I don't know why I'd always had the impression it was unique to the UK, maybe we just complain about it more :) Ours isn't even the most expensive: Germany, Switzerland, Austria and all the Nordic countries all pay more.

SGWilko
26th November 2011, 16:28

Yes it is, but stupidly, even if you never watch BBC, you still legally have to have a licence if you want to watch the telly. Welcome to Grand Britagne (nil points!).

AndyL
26th November 2011, 16:44
Welcome to Grand Britagne (nil points!).

And, as I mentioned in my previous post, most other countries in Europe ;)

Dave B
26th November 2011, 17:15
Yes it is, but stupidly, even if you never watch BBC, you still legally have to have a licence if you want to watch the telly. Welcome to Grand Britagne (nil points!).

There are plenty of public services you pay for even if you never use them. The BBC1 and BBC2 have by far the highest reach of any channel (source (http://www.barb.co.uk/report/weekly-viewing?_s=4)), and taken together with their other channels and radio stations there can't be many people who never use any BBC services.

Whatever, I still think £145 for such a broad range of channels and services is phenomenal value, especially when youlook at what some other countries charge (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licence#Television_licences_around_the_ world)and what you get for your Euros.

Like I said, I face a potential cost of £120 just to watch 9 or 10 races next year, that's on top of the £20 per month I already pay Sky. I almost certainly won't bother: the in-laws have Sky Sports so if we time our visits correctly I can probably catch the majority of the season live with no additional costs.

Mark
26th November 2011, 17:20
Just subscribed to Sky HD :)

tbh getting a box upgrade was on the cards anyway but the F1 thing sealed the deal.

Dave B
26th November 2011, 17:23
Just subscribed to Sky HD :)

tbh getting a box upgrade was on the cards anyway but the F1 thing sealed the deal.

I cancelled my HD pack when the 12 months ran out as we realised that >90% of what we watched in HD was on a free channel like BBC or Channel 4. It was nice to get a subsidised HD digibox but simply not worth continuing to pay a tenner per month for the occasional documentary on Discovery or whatever.

In all honestly we're probably going to buy a non-Sky PVR after xmas and not bother subscribing to any channels - the box should have paid for itself by the summer.

Robinho
26th November 2011, 23:07
I'm on Virgin, I take all the HD avvailable, but not the sports, does that mean I will get the F1 for no extra cost (its plenty of cost already), or do I have to take some sort of sports package (which i won't)

AndyL
26th November 2011, 23:22
I'm on Virgin, I take all the HD avvailable, but not the sports, does that mean I will get the F1 for no extra cost (its plenty of cost already), or do I have to take some sort of sports package (which i won't)

It's still undetermined whether it'll be on Virgin at all.
https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/SKYF1/

Zico
26th November 2011, 23:29
Never thought I'd ever move over to the 'dark' side but we have just signed up with SKY for a package that includes a free SKY HD box + free installation, telephone and broadband (connect from sky as we are out in the sticks and so have to have BT wholesale and so are not eligible for "cheap" deals. grr), entertainment extra, HD package and free 2 month movies trial and a £100 M&S voucher all for £45 a month.
Living where we do, broadband and phone usually costs around £40 per month (before charged calls) from most providers so all in all it's a great deal for us.

:)

Mark
27th November 2011, 08:59
I suspect the channel will be on Virgin. OfCom might have something to say if it's not. How much it will be is another question.

acescribe
27th November 2011, 10:09
Martin Brundle leaves BBC for Sky Sports' Formula 1 coverage from 2012 - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96515)

christophulus
27th November 2011, 11:11
No surprises there, I imagine Ted Kravitz will probably head across too.

Leaves the BBC coverage looking pretty poor in my opinion, and I'm still sceptical. Sure, Sky are offering all these deals for 2012, but I imagine it'll be all change soon after ('Oh, actually you need all the sports/ extra £5 a month to get it without ads' etc). Either that or the BBC coverage will completely disappear and it'll be 100% Sky.

Mark
27th November 2011, 11:54
Of course it remains to be seen who the BBC will employ to replace Martin or if Coulthard will go with him.

I can't see Jake Humphrey or Eddie Jordan going to Sky, but I do hope they keep the informal style coverage as Sky's football coverage is quite formal; everyone in suits etc.

IceWizard
27th November 2011, 13:16
I thought that when the deal was first announced it was stated that Sky and BBC would have their own presentation teams but would share commentators. From reading Brundle's comments, it would appear that this isn't the case?

djparky
27th November 2011, 15:00
for all the moaning about Sky showing F1 next year- when they commit to showing sport- they do it very well. even for minority interest sport like Indy Car or NASCAR when they had that.

I'm the reverse of many here- I have Sky and more or less everything I watch is on the Sky channels so I get my £30 a month out of it- far more than the TV licence which for me covers 12 episodes of Dr Who, 2 weeks worth of Wimbledon coverage, F1 (since 2009) and more recently Top Gear. In the years before Who & F1 cameback it was just for Wimbledon

anyway the Beeb has chosen to spend it's money elsewhere- they've even announced that the Euro 2012 coverage will not be on-site initially. I still think they could have canned BBC 4 and BBC Parliament and saved ebough money to fund the F1 coverage

The coverage for next year looks promising- hopefully they'll also show the support races instead of Eurosport's rather erratic scheduling of them

Somebody
27th November 2011, 15:04
14 episodes of DW, not 12 :p

And, as an organisation, they would have to be literally suicidal to can BBC Parliament, BBC4 or Radio 4.

I suspect the channel will be on Virgin. OfCom might have something to say if it's not. How much it will be is another question.
Isn't Sky Atlantic still satellite-only? I'm not convinced "light-touch regulation" will have anything to say...

I thought that when the deal was first announced it was stated that Sky and BBC would have their own presentation teams but would share commentators. From reading Brundle's comments, it would appear that this isn't the case?
IIRC, Sky get to employ whoever they want with no BBC input, and the Beeb have the option to take that feed (and may or may not do so)

wedge
29th November 2011, 00:56
Cheers, BBC.

Glad you're happy now that you've kept your free to air rights.

:rolleyes:

Bezza
29th November 2011, 13:01
Note this part

Looks like I will be watching F1 on Sky. I have SKY+ HD but not Sky Sports (I did, but cancelled it due to cost and Gary Neville).

Happy days

DazzlaF1
1st December 2011, 19:27

After seeing that statement on Virgin media's website, I think an agreement will be reached

Overall its a real no brainer for them because if the channel was announced as Sky only, then I can see VM losing a lot of subscriptions and like you say, OfCom wont want that to happen as it would mean Sky getting close to a monopoly of the subscription TV services.

As for how much it will be, well i'm currently on Virgin's XL package (soon upgrading to their Tivo package) and with that I get everything apart from movies and Sky Sports 1, 2, 3 & 4, so I still get British Eurosport 1, 2 and HD and also ESPN, ESPN HD, ESPN America, ESPN Classic and Sky Sports News, and all that for me is around £26 per month, I dont know what similar that is on Sky but I think thats a pretty good deal but if the F1 channel comes to VM im unsure if it will be automatically added to the XL package or just added to a separate personal selection service like Sky Sports and Sky Movies are like right now.

AndyL
1st December 2011, 22:57
After seeing that statement on Virgin media's website, I think an agreement will be reached

Overall its a real no brainer for them because if the channel was announced as Sky only, then I can see VM losing a lot of subscriptions and like you say, OfCom wont want that to happen as it would mean Sky getting close to a monopoly of the subscription TV services.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. As Somebody mentioned, they talked to Sky about acquiring Sky Atlantic as well, and look how that ended up. No doubt the F1 channel is one Virgin will be more motivated to get, but really Sky hold all the cards, so whatever deal is struck Virgin will be the party getting shafted.

DazzlaF1
2nd December 2011, 21:14
I don't think it's a foregone conclusion. As Somebody mentioned, they talked to Sky about acquiring Sky Atlantic as well, and look how that ended up. No doubt the F1 channel is one Virgin will be more motivated to get, but really Sky hold all the cards, so whatever deal is struck Virgin will be the party getting shafted.

Of course not, nothing is guaranteed but Virgin will look at the viewing numbers F1 got on the Beeb (consistently into 7 figures) and that will play a big part in them wanting to get the channel in order to keep their customers

Mia 01
3rd December 2011, 04:24
Here in Sweden, nothing new. Always paying.

Dave B
4th December 2011, 15:42
Of course not, nothing is guaranteed but Virgin will look at the viewing numbers F1 got on the Beeb (consistently into 7 figures) and that will play a big part in them wanting to get the channel in order to keep their customers
It's not up to Virgin though, even if they do want to buy the channel they can't force Sky to sell it to them. It took years of legal wrangling to get Sky Sports onto other platforms, so there's no guarantee the F1 channel will appear on Virgin or BT Vision. Sky have invested a lot of money and they'll want to convert that into an increase in subscriber numbers, which they won't achieve by letting everybody else share their coverage.

DazzlaF1
4th December 2011, 19:38
It's not up to Virgin though, even if they do want to buy the channel they can't force Sky to sell it to them. It took years of legal wrangling to get Sky Sports onto other platforms, so there's no guarantee the F1 channel will appear on Virgin or BT Vision. Sky have invested a lot of money and they'll want to convert that into an increase in subscriber numbers, which they won't achieve by letting everybody else share their coverage.

But in sharing the broadcast of their channel with other cable companies, dont they also recieve a share of any money made from the sale of the channels to customers on VM or BT Vision? (I know you have to pay an extra £15 a month on Virgin to get just the 4 Sky Sports channels) Like Mark said, any moves by Sky to get closer to monopolising the pay TV market would make OfCom intervene. So of course Virgin cant force Sky to sell them the channel but they do have to think of their subscribers and what could happen if the F1 channel is Sky only, VM would lose a lot of subscribers who want to watch a full season.

Realistically I think the F1 will end up on Virgin but like the 4 sky sports channels already on there (not counting sky sports news) it'll probably be a separate package

Mark
4th December 2011, 19:43
Sky need to make a judgement. On the one hand; keep the channel to themselves and encourage people to sign up to Sky not just this year but looking up to 5 years down the line too. This risks OfCom investigating but as the BBC is covering all races means this risk is slim to none.

Or; allow Virgin customers to subscribe and thus gain more subscription revenue, however the move to allow HD pack subscribers to receive the channel means that Sky isn't just interested in maximising their revenue - at least not in the short term.

acescribe
4th December 2011, 23:01
Presenters for Sky F1 set to be announced on Wednesday...

Sarah
4th December 2011, 23:21
You must be watching Autosport Awards online......lots of Sky/BBC banter !!!

Rollo
4th December 2011, 23:41

Isn't that what adverts are for?
There's nothing necessarily wrong with the principle but something which you previously used to be able to get for free now has a charge on it. You don't have to buy something if you don't like the charge in a free market.

Rollo
5th December 2011, 00:22
Confirmed by Ten Network Holdings Ltd for Australia (I emailed them):

Australian GP - ONE HD, Channel 10, Fox Sports 1
Malaysian GP - Fox Sports 1
Chinese GP - Fox Sports 1
Bahrain GP - Fox Sports 1
Spanish GP - Fox Sports 1
Monaco GP - Fox Sports 1
Canadian GP - Fox Sports 1
European GP - Fox Sports 1
British GP - Fox Sports 1
German GP - Fox Sports 1
Hungarian GP - Fox Sports 1
Belgian GP - Fox Sports 1
Italian GP - Fox Sports 1
Singaporean GP - Fox Sports 1
Japanese GP - Fox Sports 1
Korean GP - Fox Sports 1
Indian GP - Fox Sports 1
Abu Dhabi GP - Fox Sports 1
US GP - Fox Sports 1
Brazilian GP - Fox Sports 1

Lachlan Murdoch is the CEO of Ten Network Holdings Ltd and because the only event on the F1 calendar which is covered by the anti-siphoning laws is the Australian GP, then the rest have been shifted to pay-TV.

Free-to-air coverage of F1 in Australia died today. RIP.

Powered by Cosworth
5th December 2011, 06:24
You must be watching Autosport Awards online......lots of Sky/BBC banter !!!

It was quite funny, especially JB telling Rider to shut up about his new employer.

Mark
5th December 2011, 19:46
Interesting. Especially that Brundle was saying that if he'd been treated better by the BBC he may have stayed.

BDunnell
5th December 2011, 21:30
One question in all of this — do the BBC and Sky now both have rights to archive F1 footage?

Sarah
5th December 2011, 21:46
Watch the Jenson, Seb and Christian 'chats' from the awards too if you want a good laugh

MAX_THRUST
6th December 2011, 18:43
Shame BBC HD was free. Why pay sky?

Dave B
7th December 2011, 09:22
Sky's lineup is to be announced today and if I'm correct will include a convicted drink-driver presenting motorsports coverage. Interesting.

SGWilko
7th December 2011, 09:50
Sky's lineup is to be announced today and if I'm correct will include a convicted drink-driver presenting motorsports coverage. Interesting.

Isn't that a bit like having Paul Gadd fronting CBeebies? :eek:

Dave B
7th December 2011, 09:51
In an eagerly-awaited announcement, the station has confirmed that the hugely popular David Croft will join forces with Martin Brundle in the commentary box for each of the 2012's races, with Brundle on air during every day of each grand prix, dividing his time between paddock, pitlane and commentary box. The flexibility means that former F1 driver Anthony Davidson will be reunited with Croft for commentary duties for each of the weekend's practice sessions.

"In Martin Brundle we have the outstanding F1 broadcaster - on the track and in broadcasting, he's proved it time and again," commented Sky Sports Executive Producer Martin Turner.

"Working alongside him, David Croft is a passionate, experienced commentator and Anthony Davidson can bring great technical knowledge to live practice sessions."

In support, both Natalie Pinkham and Ted Kravitz will scour the pitlane in search of the inside scoop on what's occurring, with Kravitz also co-presenting the magazine show that Sky Sports have also announced will be part of their package.

Ted's co-presenter on the magazine show will be Georgie Thompson (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14843170)*, a familiar face to viewers of Sky Sports News, while another familiar face to Sky Sports viewers, Simon Lazenby, will host each grand prix weekend.

And last, but by no means least, broadcasting veteran Steve Rider will stage a series of big interviews with racing legends of the past and present for Sky Sports.
Sky reveal 2012 F1 team | Sky Sports (http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7356971/Sky-reveal-2012-F1-team)

So they've poached the best of the BBC's talent (and Natalie Pinkham).

*added URL, obviously not present in Sky's press release! :p :beer:

Mark
7th December 2011, 10:25
Crofty and Ant for the practice sessions then. Exactly like now!

Bezza
7th December 2011, 14:07
Great news about Sky F1 line up. Means my favourite's are still on the BBC :)

Can't stand David Croft. Really one-dimensional, monotonous and full of fake excitement. Anthony Davidson talks too much, and drones on and on, was not a particularly good driver so I find his insight into on track action rather bitter at times as he was never good enough, unlike the likes of James Hunt, Martin Brundle and David Coulthard who have been co-commentators.

BBC will keep DC, Jake for definite and most likely Eddie Jordan. Delighted with that. In most cases I will watching BBC's coverage as I currently miss many of them anyway and watch the highlights or recorded as-live later in the day.

Dave B
7th December 2011, 14:18
BBC will keep DC, Jake for definite and most likely Eddie Jordan.
I can't find a link but allegedly EJ let it slip to RTE that he has signed for one more year and will evaluate his options after 2012.

Edit... here it is:

Eddie Jordan has just confirmed on RTÉ radio that he has renewed with the BBC for next year, as expected. #F1

18 hours ago via Manipe F1

wedge
7th December 2011, 14:31
Life goes on Dave. I think people rate Brundle too much to be honest and think they'll find a decent replacement. If Edwards is announced I'll be more than happy. :)

You could say the same about Muzza.

Brundle has presence, authority, great respect within the motor racing world, lashings of wit and immense enthusiasm.

DC still feels like a sideshow when he's not in the commentary booth; and EJ... is, well, EJ. He's like a big kid and at times hyperactive and needs to tone it down a bit sometimes.

yodasarmpit
8th December 2011, 18:05
Does anybody know if you use a Sky Go login, can the person who owns it watch Sky at the same time?

Currently you are allowed to register two devices for Sky Go (simultaneous viewing), this is being revised soon for multi room subscribers (possibly up to 4 devices).

Mark
9th December 2011, 10:53
Yes, it's just a feed directly from Sky. So as long as someone who subscribes to HD or Sky Sports gives you their Sky login details then you'll be able to use Sky Go. This is the option I was considering (in-laws have Sky Sports) before the announcement that it would be on the HD pack.

wedge
14th December 2011, 14:27
Dear oh dear, what on earth is Brundle wearing?

An exciting new era | Sky Sports (http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12538/7357266/An-exciting-new-era)

SGWilko
14th December 2011, 14:53

An exciting new era | Sky Sports (http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12538/7357266/An-exciting-new-era)

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, a suit?

AndyL
14th December 2011, 14:54

Company suit, it even has the Sky Sports logo on the lapel :D

Do Sky Sports make their presenters wear black tie for evening matches?

Malbec
15th December 2011, 18:38
For me this would be the only worthy option. I'm not paying £30.25 a month for one channel so it seems pointless other than to watch using this method. If it was 30 quid a month with broadband included, then it might be worth it but I don't tend to watch channels other than BBC, ITV and Channels 4 and 5, so SKy don't really offer anything else of interest to me. I will watch the 10 races on the BBC and hopefully the others through Sky Go. If I find the Sky coverage is poor, then I've lost nothing.

I gave in and signed up earlier this week. 30 quid a month with a good few HD channels and in the future we might switch phone/internet to Sky and save with one of their bundlepacks. At the moment they give a free HD box and £100 worth of M and S vouchers so its a pretty decent deal.

Mark
15th December 2011, 20:09
Just got our £100 of M&S vouchers. Useful for Christmas prezzies.

steveaki13
15th January 2012, 22:36
Today saw an ad for Sky F1 channel. Launching 9th of March.

Also on twitter Martin Brundle said a couple of big annoucements to come this week.

Be interesting to see whats happening.

AndyL
16th January 2012, 12:40
Confirmed it will be available on Virgin cable:
Virgin Media to carry Sky Sports F1 channel - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97040)
but sounds like you'll need the Sky Sports package to get it on that platform.

CNR
17th January 2012, 06:39
Confirmed it will be available on Virgin cable:
Virgin Media to carry Sky Sports F1 channel - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97040)
but sounds like you'll need the Sky Sports package to get it on that platform.

Watch the Entire Formula 1 2012 Season Without Sky (Kind Of) On Virgin | Gizmodo UK (http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/01/watch-the-entire-formula-1-2012-season-without-sky-kind-of-on-virgin/)

this isn’t exactly free-to-air (a £22.50 a month add-on (http://shop.virginmedia.com/digital-tv/channels/sky-sports.html) with anything better than basic “M” TV, or £28 a month if you’re on Virgin’s lowest tier), it’s better than nothing if you’re a Virgin subscriber

CNR
17th January 2012, 10:07
Damon Hill joins Sky team | Sky Sports (http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7438312/Damon-Hill-joins-Sky-team)
Damon Hill joins Sky team

Mark
18th January 2012, 08:40
£270 is quite steep when you consider a good number (the majority) of Sky subscribers are getting it at no extra cost.

Dave B
18th January 2012, 12:36
£270 is quite steep when you consider a good number (the majority) of Sky subscribers are getting it at no extra cost.

Sky's reasoning for buying the F1 rights is that they'll attract new customers. It's not really any use to them if they pay all that money only to see Virgin get the benefits.

You're right though, it is steep! I'm still baulking at paying an extra £120 per year for 9 or 10 races.

wedge
18th January 2012, 13:54
Probably deserves a thread of its own but is anyone making financial sacrifice to watch F1 on Sky?

Dave B
18th January 2012, 17:02
Nah, still haven't changed my mind. £30 a month for 10 lives races a year is just not worth it. I shall be using someone elses Sky Go login as I previously said and so far I've watched a fair few things on it live. Just connect my laptop up to the TV via a HDMI lead and away we go. The picture quality isn't quite HD but its better quality than I get from from PS3 when I watch iplayer on it, and as good as a normal terrestrial picture. I thought I'd be faced with it buffering every 10 minutes (like iplayer) buts its been perfect. Kind of makes me feel sorry for people who have no choice but to fork out alot of money to get the races live when I can basically get it for free off the back of someone else. I'm sure many others will be doing the same thing though if they know someone with Sky and with the prices so high. :mark:

This method is certainly under active consideration in our household :)

Dave B
26th January 2012, 11:04
You certainly can't fault Sky's committment:

Sky Sports News will broadcast from the site of every 2012 Grand Prix for up to six days and will be in attendance for every day of every test session, the channel have announced.

Two dedicated reporters - Rachel Brookes and Craig Slater - will be embedded to work amongst the teams both at races and during the upcoming 'test season', with the channel pledging to "provide viewers with breaking news stories, detailed analysis and extensive coverage of each Grand Prix, including on-site build-up and reporting for all 20 races."

In what sounds like manna from heaven for F1 aficionados, it's also been eye-catchingly revealed that Brookes and Slater will be broadcasting "up to six days of coverage from each Grand Prix, with on-site reports beginning each Tuesday and running through the week to post-race reaction."

Full release: Sky Sports News announces 2012 plans | Sky Sports (http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7456424/Sky-Sports-News-announce-2012-plans)

RS
26th January 2012, 12:52
When does the Sky F1 Channel actually go live then?

wedge
26th January 2012, 13:15
Out of interest, anybody signed up to Sky even though they're not keen on the Murdoch empire?

Mark
26th January 2012, 14:38
I signed up to Sky as soon as I moved in. Don't really like Murdoch but as there is no cable available in my area that's pretty much the only choice :)

djparky
27th January 2012, 14:10
Out of interest, anybody signed up to Sky even though they're not keen on the Murdoch empire?

I've had Sky for years- not a fan of Murdoch but pretty well all the stuff I like watching is on satellite TV nowadays. I've had cable in the past (NT-Hell for a few years then Telewest which was much better)- TW was way better than NT-Hell but not as god as Sky- NTL were just appallingly bad on every level- I rarely feel the need to shout at people down the phone but they drove me to it on more than one occasion due to their staggering crapulence

I'd rather deal with the devil and have reliable pay TV than chance to a cable company (even one as good as VM)

SGWilko
27th January 2012, 14:21
I used to have Sky many moons ago. Channels and channels of utter tripe, more reality TV than any sane people should ever be exposed to, a car/boat/chopper is born repeated every five mins on 'I've got big nads TV', the SOund of Music twice an hour, and Jaws 1, 2 and 3....

I think it is pretty similar now, only it costs exponentially more. I ditched it on cost grounds and have not missed it.

If F1 ends up being entirely subscription based then fine, I won't lose any sleep in not seeing it.

yodasarmpit
2nd February 2012, 15:24
Just announced this morning.

GP2 and GP3 series live on on Sky Sports F1 HD

Sky Sports viewers will get a glimpse into the future of motorsport with live coverage of the GP2 and GP3 series on Sky Sports F1 HD.

Coverage will complement the Formula 1 programming on the channel, offering UK and Irish motor racing fans even more racing. Subscribers can also watch online or on tablet and mobile devices with Sky Go at no extra charge.

Sky Sports F1 HD’s weekly magazine show, presented by Georgie Thompson and Ted Kravitz, will also provide coverage, analysis and discussion of the races which follow the Formula 1 World Championship across the world to the likes of Monaco, Monza, Silverstone, Spa and Singapore.

Like Formula 1, GP2 and GP3 cars are single seaters. The two series share constructors, engine manufacturers and tyre suppliers, although GP2 cars are bigger and faster, with larger, more powerful engines. GP3 is seen as a feeder series to GP2, generating exciting wheel-to-wheel racing. Last season’s GP3 champion Valtteri Bottas is currently a Williams F1 test driver.

The 12-round 2012 GP2 series will begin in Malaysia on 23–25 March and follows a global circuit through 10 countries. Sky Sports F1 HD will show the two races per weekend; a feature race and a shorter sprint race.

Current GP2 series team champions Barwa Addax will be looking to retain their title with two new drivers starting on the grid in the 2012 season. With 2011 GP2 Drivers champion Romain Grosjean moving to Formula 1 in 2012 to race alongside Kimi Raikonnen for Lotus team, the 13 teams and 26 drivers will battle to find a new champion this season.

The GP3 series circuit moves around European race tracks in eight rounds, and ten teams will race both feature and sprint races on consecutive days. This coming 2012 season, the team behind the newly-named Lotus GP will be looking to make it three out of three seasons at the top of both the driver and team podiums and emerge double champions yet again.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7474325/Sky-Sports-to-show-GP2-GP3

AndyL
2nd February 2012, 17:13
If they add the Porsche supercup they can just leave the cameras running for the whole weekend!

CNR
2nd February 2012, 21:48
it may be worth looking at your laws
Optus TV Now (http://blogs.crikey.com.au/whitenoise/2012/02/02/optus-tv-now-now-offering-live-sports-2-minutes-later/)
TELSTRA and Vodafone are expected to compete with Optus head-on in the battle for mobile sports broadcasting if the major sporting codes fail to stop Optus rebroadcasting games to its mobile phone customers.
Cookies must be enabled | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/rivals-to-copy-optus-plan-if-appeals-fail/story-e6frg7mf-1226261249131)

The Federal Court ruled on Wednesday that Optus was not in breach of the law by providing its phone customers with close-to-live sports broadcasts - using a delay of about 90 seconds - via its TV Now service. The broadcasts can be viewed on phones, tablets and computers.

Dave B
3rd February 2012, 10:34
GP2 and GP3 series live on on Sky Sports F1 HD

Sky Sports viewers will get a glimpse into the future of motorsport with live coverage of the GP2 and GP3 series on Sky Sports F1 HD.

I'm wavering.... :s

SGWilko
3rd February 2012, 12:05

I'm wavering back :wave: ;)

djparky
4th February 2012, 11:40
excellent news- no more playing with Eurosports TV "schedule"- wondering whether they'll show it or not

steveaki13
5th February 2012, 19:07
This is good news. It really allows us now to follow the whole Grand Prix weekend. From first interviews to the future of F1 and then onto the main event. I can't wait personaly to see how it goes

steveaki13
5th February 2012, 19:08
excellent news- no more playing with Eurosports TV "schedule"- wondering whether they'll show it or not

Yer it is the worst around. Football on schedule and Bob Slay on the TV or Motorsport on schedule, a repeat of Tennis on TV. It does tend to be a bit random

Mark
6th February 2012, 08:58

Hah, you know you want to. Join us. Be one of us. It's bliss...

tommy2k8
6th February 2012, 10:06
So F1 won't be on normal Sky Sports 1?

Mark
6th February 2012, 10:14
So F1 won't be on normal Sky Sports 1?

No it'll be on its own channel Sky Sports F1. Available to everyone who subscribes to Sky and takes HD or Sky Sports.

SGWilko
6th February 2012, 10:21
No it'll be on its own channel Sky Sports F1. Available to everyone who subscribes to Sky and takes HD or Sky Sports.

So, in addition to my TV license fee, how much will I need to pay to Sky just so I can watch all the F1 races live?

SGWilko
6th February 2012, 10:31
Ah, only £363pa - bargain!

not!!!!!

yodasarmpit
6th February 2012, 10:54
Ah, only £363pa - bargain!

not!!!!!
How much do you currently pay for your broadband and telephone (both line rental and calls)?

Mark
6th February 2012, 11:08
That's the point really. I already subscribe to Sky and the HD package, so the marginal cost for F1 coverage for me is zero.

If you don't already take these services it can work out expensive.

SGWilko
6th February 2012, 11:58
How much do you currently pay for your broadband and telephone (both line rental and calls)?

£19/month - includes unlimited BB, calls & rental too! When contract was up for renewal, price increases had been announced, so I rang up Talk Talk (admittedly it was their bombay branch) and told them I would commit again if they kept me on the current cost and threw in a new Wireless N router.......

I have already invested in a PVR some years ago (Humax 9200T) so can record, rewind, pause freeview now anyway. And there are too many channels of chuff on freeview too!

yodasarmpit
6th February 2012, 13:13
The fact that you are getting that package for £19 as opposed to the £28 normally advertised makes quite a difference.

To get unlimited BB, and unlimited calls, and line rental with Sky would cost £24.75.
In addition you would need to pay £30.25 for TV with HD in order to view F1.

Of course for that extra you would be getting access to more channels, Anytime +, and Sky Go - but I can see your point.

SGWilko
6th February 2012, 13:33
The fact that you are getting that package for £19 as opposed to the £28 normally advertised makes quite a difference.

To get unlimited BB, and unlimited calls, and line rental with Sky would cost £24.75.
In addition you would need to pay £30.25 for TV with HD in order to view F1.

Of course for that extra you would be getting access to more channels, Anytime +, and Sky Go - but I can see your point.

I don't like parting with my money!!!!

Overall, Talk Talk have been OK service wise. However, for the few issues I have had, I've made 'em pay for it!

SGWilko
6th February 2012, 13:34

Ever wondered why they make so much money???????

SGWilko
6th February 2012, 13:59
I actually have the same internet provider (talktalk) as Wilko and I have the Humax 9200T lol. I agree there is far too much crap on freeview so I can't justify paying Sky for more of it! If I purchased Sky it would be purely for the F1, and it simply isn't worth it. All the stuff like Sky + and series link options are things I can already do with freeview and I probably only watch 8 different channels out of a possible 75 anyway. I can't ever see myself converting to Sky because for me it doesn't offer value for money and social life stops me spending much time infront of the Tv as it is :) .

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Henners, as you have the same PVR as me;

Tell me, have you ever managed to successfully transfer recorded content to a PC using the USB outlet?

SGWilko
6th February 2012, 14:02
If I purchased Sky it would be purely for the F1

That's the problem, there is no economically (legal) viable alternative to this. If they released a, lets say for £5/month, viewing card for freeview boxes that allowed access to this F1 channel, I'd give serious consideration to getting one. Rather like the season ticket they did when ITV Digital was live and you could subscribe to the F1 channel then.

SGWilko
6th February 2012, 22:15
Have I ****!! :p
I did plug my laptop in via USB and followed something I read on the web but all I ended up with was the first minute of each recording as a movie player file. I have a load of races from 2008 which I wouldn't mind saving off but never got around to having another go. Its not easy from what I gather as you need other types of software to convert the files once you have them off the PVR. Now you have mentioned it maybe I'll think about having another go. :)

My post inspired me to try to get this working again - with much success!

Follow this link (http://myhumax.org/blog/?p=279) - it worked for me!

TheFamousEccles
6th February 2012, 22:55
Well, here it is-

Sebastian Vettel hoping for repeat showing as Red Bull is unveiled | Sport | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/feb/06/sebastian-vettel-red-bull-f1)

Its got the beak action happening too.

The livery hides it well.... :rolleyes:

Oops - wrong thread!

CNR
7th February 2012, 08:27
Williams unveils the FW34, its 2012 Formula 1 car - F1 news - AUTOSPORT.com (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97372)
Williams

The Black Knight
7th February 2012, 08:52
Live timing updates here:

Timing: 7 february, tuesday. Circuit of Jerez, Spain. (http://f1tests.co.cc/2012.php)

Mark
7th February 2012, 10:41
Live timing updates here:

Timing: 7 february, tuesday. Circuit of Jerez, Spain. (http://f1tests.co.cc/2012.php)

This isn't for this thread.

Dave B
7th February 2012, 12:23
Talking of testing, though, Sky Sports News did have a nice report from Jerez earlier including an interview with Jackie Stewart - admittedly conducted by a girl who looked totally out of her depth, but hey at least they're trying.

Mark
7th February 2012, 14:08
That's the thing with Sports coverage, you need people know know what they are talking about and importantly know who they are talking to. More the case with F1 than most other sports. The likes of Jake Humphrey got into it very quickly as he threw himself into it, but you can't just pick some random presenter and expect them to cope first time, but I suppose everyone has to start somewhere.

The Black Knight
7th February 2012, 14:13
I guess if a Sky Sports presenter is going to start anywhere, they may as well start in preseason testing and get used to the teams and the pitlane. Unfortunately, I think that in the first half year it will take Sky quite a while to come to terms with who is who on the pitlane. Only in the second half will the coverage really pick up I'd say. Either way, whether you've Sky or not, I think we'll all be watching the BBC coverage for the races they are showing.

Mark
7th February 2012, 14:27
I think we'll all be watching the BBC coverage for the races they are showing.

Yeah; we'll see how it goes but I can't see me not watching BBC for the pre-race. For the first time (for me) there's a choice of TV commentary for the race itself.

SGWilko
7th February 2012, 14:31
Yeah; we'll see how it goes but I can't see me not watching BBC for the pre-race. For the first time (for me) there's a choice of TV commentary for the race itself.

Sky's pre race show will be bought to you by;

Gillette
Proctor & Gamble
Shake 'n Vac
Vax
Tena
Whoooooooooo, body form
Special K
Ryvita
Ford
Va va voooom

All interspersed with a bit of build up when time permits. ;)

Dave B
7th February 2012, 16:42
Don't judge me: I've gone over to the dark side. £50 cashback eased the pain of paying an extra tenner per month, and the missus gets her "wrestling" back in HD.

(The inverted commas are deliberate because I don't regard WWE as a sport, more like some pathetically poor acting :p )

Brown, Jon Brow
10th February 2012, 11:30
My sister subscribes to Sky Sports and she can sign into the Sky Player on my Xbox to watch live Sky TV when she is visiting us. The picture quality is not HD but perfectly watchable SD. So this looks like my best bet to watch F1 this year.

Mark
20th February 2012, 11:40
Might have to get an iPad now!
Sky flaunts F1 app with split-screen functions • reghardware (http://www.reghardware.com/2012/02/18/sky_flaunts_f1_app_with_split_screen_view_function/)

SGWilko
29th February 2012, 13:36
Hello everyone. My name is Stuart Wilkinson, and I have a confession to make..........

Dave B
29th February 2012, 15:09
You cracked, didn't you? I can relate to that. Did you get a good deal?

SGWilko
29th February 2012, 16:42
Well I didn't, but the Mrs did (got a good deal that is) - £100 M&S vouchers :D

I won't let her forget that in a hurry.

With Australia looming, I've realised that live timing and a radio feed just wont cut it.

I tried to be strong, honest.........

:bigcry: :bigcry:

Knock-on
29th February 2012, 16:56
Welcome to the Dark side Wilko :devil:

SGWilko
29th February 2012, 17:01
Welcome to the Dark side Wilko :devil:

Forgive me if I don't look you in the eye.

....oh, the shame........ :p

Mark
29th February 2012, 17:15
:laugh: Sky's big plan starts to work its magic. It did on me :D

slorydn1
29th February 2012, 17:24
I had F1 in HD last year watching it on Speed here in the States....How did we EVER survive without HD?!?!?!?!? :eek:

SGWilko
29th February 2012, 18:53
Well at least there will be a few here discussing the races this year at least.. :D

Perhaps I'll go back to the photography forums? Sky can't restrict my hobby there I hope lol. Sky Go is starting to play up abit when watching things live so I might have to resort to just the BBC coverage which is rather depressing. Watching the races many hours after the race has finished and joining discussions here late is a complete drag. I'm wondering whether I just keep a very casual interest and find something else to occupy my time? Oh well.. :mark:

That's it, go on, twist the knife!! ;)

The £100 vouchers did it for me. Once I am out of contract, I will threaten to cancel and see what retentions offer me.........

Mark
29th February 2012, 19:09
There's hope for the live chat yet!!

Dave B
1st March 2012, 09:55
If you want a sneak peek at the F1 channel, currently showing a testing loop, you can manually add it by searching 12.110 H 27.5 FEC2/3 in the "Add Channels" menu. :D

Dave B
1st March 2012, 10:09
If any existing Sky customers are wavering, I have two voucher codes for half price Sky Sports & Movies for 6 months. I think it works out at £24 per month while the offer lasts. There's a ton of small print, obviously you have to be an existing customer without those packages, and sign up for a year; and obviously you don't need Sports for the F1 channel if you have HD, but if anybody would like a code then drop me a PM.

Dave B
1st March 2012, 11:16
If you want a sneak peek at the F1 channel, currently showing a testing loop, you can manually add it by searching 12.110 H 27.5 FEC2/3 in the "Add Channels" menu. :D

Ignore all of that (you probably already did) - the channel has now appeared on the EPG.

Knock-on
1st March 2012, 11:45
Ignore all of that (you probably already did) - the channel has now appeared on the EPG.

I've SEEN it... I'm watching it NOW!!!!

Ooooo, I could crush a grape :D

Mark
1st March 2012, 12:10
OMG I WANT TO GO HOME RIGHT NOW TO WATCH IT ALL DAY <faints>

Knock-on
1st March 2012, 12:14
Ooo, I think I just lost a bit of widdle :laugh:

Bezza
1st March 2012, 12:56
Thought it was being launched on 9th March?

What are they showing at the moment then and what channel is it on Sky HD?

ArrowsFA1
1st March 2012, 13:05
Sky channel 408

Dave B
1st March 2012, 13:31
Just a preview loop at the mo with a few clips and adverts, you're not missing much.

Lovely crisp HD though.

Mark
1st March 2012, 19:22
Watching it now OMFGDIE.

SGWilko
1st March 2012, 21:45
I've SEEN it... I'm watching it NOW!!!!

Ooooo, I could crush a grape :D

Is it Friday, is it 16:55 already???

IceWizard
1st March 2012, 23:29
I've just signed up for Sky Sports though sadly I'll have to make do with Sky Sports F1 SD since I'm getting it through Virgin. I may still watch the shared live races on BBC as I reckon the commentary team could actually prove to be stronger.

thumpingrug
2nd March 2012, 07:37
Currently showing time lapse from the williams factors during winter 2012. Do you think another team can glean anything from this?

Mark
2nd March 2012, 08:35
I've just signed up for Sky Sports though sadly I'll have to make do with Sky Sports F1 SD since I'm getting it through Virgin. I may still watch the shared live races on BBC as I reckon the commentary team could actually prove to be stronger.

That's the thing. I'm almost certainly going to be watching BBC for the build up of their races, but what for the commentary? I guess I'll stick to Sky on Sky exclusive races and BBC otherwise.

DazzlaF1
2nd March 2012, 13:41
There's one thing the BBC aren't lacking this year and that's a good commentary team. I can't say I'm going to miss Brundle like a lot have claimed and the races where the BBC have full coverage I expect to be as excellent as usual. I think the BBC cover it in only a way they can, but I'm sure Sky will create their own association to the sport that others will appreciate.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

I agree, I kinda liked DC as a co-commentator and plus we all know what Ben Edwards is like, in my view its potentially a great pairing.

One thing though, I know James Allen is doing the radio commentary, any word on who's partnering him in the box? Might it be Maurice Hamilton again or Karun Chandhok or something?

Mark
3rd March 2012, 10:02
8pm Friday 9th March on Sky. F1 preview programme. 2 hours long!

Followed by Formula 1 Legends. Steve Rider interviews Emerson Fittipaldi and Jackie Stewart.

Mark
3rd March 2012, 10:04
It looks like the channel will be broadcasting all the time rather than just at race weekends. Hopefully they'll fill in the time between Grand Prix with reruns of old races

pino
3rd March 2012, 11:03
Hate you guys :p I can only see it via crappy Rai Uno coverage :(

EuroTroll
3rd March 2012, 14:32
It looks like the channel will be broadcasting all the time rather than just at race weekends. Hopefully they'll fill in the time between Grand Prix with reruns of old races

That would indeed be awesome, and it would make me hate you Brits as well. :p :

Knock-on
3rd March 2012, 16:46
Just watching the time slip build of the Williams over the winter. It really is amazing that Williams continue to turn out world class cars when you compare the facilities at Grove to those at Woking. McLaren have an amazing technology center, hermetically sealed whatever and all the resources they desire. Williams on the other hand really do seem to design the car on the back of a fag packet and build it in a well equipped shed. They trully are the last of the great Garageists

jwhite9185
4th March 2012, 12:15
Hopefully they'll fill in the time between Grand Prix with reruns of old races

They show races from the 70's on ESPN classic from time to time.

Dave B
4th March 2012, 14:51
The 1988 season review is among the programmes over the next few days.

ATF
4th March 2012, 16:22
8pm Friday 9th March on Sky. F1 preview programme. 2 hours long!

Followed by Formula 1 Legends. Steve Rider interviews Emerson Fittipaldi and Jackie Stewart.

Is there an online schedule anywhere for SSF1? What else are they doing in the week before the first race?

Mark
4th March 2012, 17:03
The 1988 season review is among the programmes over the next few days.

Next Saturday at 4pm. I've set it to record :) . I did see it about 15 years ago!

My Sky+ is going to get quite a hammering I think! Good job I got that 1TB box!

Dave B
4th March 2012, 17:06
Saturday 10th. Have you got the Sky+ remote record app? Since its last update it's had an excellent tv guide and they've added series link.

Dave B
5th March 2012, 20:20
Crikey the countdown show on Sky Sports News was dull and awkward, hope that's not a sign of things to come.

Mark
6th March 2012, 08:59
Over the weekend they are showing reason reviews for 1988, 1989, 1990 & 1991

DamonHillFan
7th March 2012, 05:54
Over the weekend they are showing reason reviews for 1988, 1989, 1990 & 1991

already set up to record them all :) recently bought and watched Senna on blu-ray so be great to see all his title winning seasons!

ArrowsFA1
7th March 2012, 11:05
Lots of people have asked about the title music we'll be using. Today we'll be revealing all. So any final guesses?
https://twitter.com/#!/SkySportsF1/status/177347922621497344

Could anything possibly surpass The Chain? :eek:

Meanwhile...a sneak peak... http://youtu.be/mW4YFaekTpo

Bezza
7th March 2012, 12:56
Went through and Sky+ everything in sight ! The misses wasn't best pleased with the F1 overkill, but I don't care. Only saw the 1988 F1 Review on the list, I think when I checked it wouldn't let me reach the weekend so didn't see 1989, 1990 or 1991. Great that they are showing these.

They also had the 2011 review as well, in about four parts, but I haven't recorded that as I'm yet to purchase the DVD/Blu-Ray and want to enjoy that.

Mark
7th March 2012, 13:31
Went through and Sky+ everything in sight ! The misses wasn't best pleased with the F1 overkill, but I don't care. Only saw the 1988 F1 Review on the list, I think when I checked it wouldn't let me reach the weekend so didn't see 1989, 1990 or 1991. Great that they are showing these.

They also had the 2011 review as well, in about four parts, but I haven't recorded that as I'm yet to purchase the DVD/Blu-Ray and want to enjoy that.

Me too! Good job we've still got 60% on a 1TB box, we're going to need it!

Dave B
7th March 2012, 18:38
Just Drive was championed by Jake last year. Do Sky have *any* original ideas or do they poach everything (and everyone) from established broadcasters?

BDunnell
7th March 2012, 18:42
Just Drive was championed by Jake last year. Do Sky have *any* original ideas or do they poach everything (and everyone) from established broadcasters?

Possibly a sensible approach so as not to offend viewers of past coverage on said established broadcasters.

SGWilko
7th March 2012, 19:39
Absolutely awful theme song chosen by Sky :down: .

Just Drive - (2012) - Twitmusic (http://twitmusic.com/songs/hogu4)

Its only an intro to the programme but isn't it supposed to get fans excited and fired up for the race? Not that I'll be watching often but I still think they made a bad choice. At least 'The Chain' is still on the BBC.. :D

As a big fan of theirs, I reckon Life In The Fast Lane by The Eagles would be a good choice, but knowing Don Henley, it'd cost too much! :p

ArrowsFA1
7th March 2012, 19:54
Not a bad choice IMHO. Yes it was championed by Jake on the BBC as the closing sequence for the season IIRC but it's a decent track. Nothing could compare with The Chain which has somehow become forever associated with F1 so Sky were on a hiding to nothing with their choice whatever they did.

christophulus
7th March 2012, 19:55
Absolutely awful theme song chosen by Sky :down: .

I quite like the original song but the edit at the start sticks out like a sore thumb. They've basically chopped out half the verse.

Mark
7th March 2012, 20:22
Strange choice. For me it's entirely about the end of the 2010 F1 season specifically the closing montage.

Especially regarding the last race "For one last time. We'll take this ride". Doesn't really work for the full season.

Having said that. I do love the song. It's one of only two I've ever downloaded from iTunes!

Bezza
8th March 2012, 16:55
Strange choice. For me it's entirely about the end of the 2010 F1 season specifically the closing montage.

Especially regarding the last race "For one last time. We'll take this ride". Doesn't really work for the full season.

Having said that. I do love the song. It's one of only two I've ever downloaded from iTunes!

I'm intrigued to know what the other one was, Mark. I'll guess at....Yellow polka dot bikini ? :laugh:

I quite like the song, but agree it was better suited to the 2010 finale. They could have chosen worse though. It beats all of ITV's efforts from 1997 to 2008, although that is not difficult.

They showed the opening montage on Sky Sports News the other day too, and I like the title sequence, showing some classic moments - actually an improvement over BBC's 2009-2011 titles, apart from The Chain of course.

Mark
8th March 2012, 17:00
I'm intrigued to know what the other one was, Mark. I'll guess at....Yellow polka dot bikini ? :laugh:

DJs in a Row by Schwab!

Mark
8th March 2012, 19:28
It's not the original lyrics "Take me to the edge where I have died a thousand times" is now "Take me to the edge where I have lived a thousand lives"

Mark
8th March 2012, 20:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXKWxF--QYA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is where the song was originally featured and how I'll always think of it. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it before.

wedge
9th March 2012, 01:07
It beats all of ITV's efforts from 1997 to 2008, although that is not difficult.

I really loved Jamiroquai's effort in a nerdy sort of way (mainly it was the sample of air wrenches!)

Dave B
9th March 2012, 07:35
Anything's better than ITV's "Rip me up, rip me up, I wanna banana" theme.

Mark
9th March 2012, 09:28
At least it was written for F1 and it's about F1. I just wish they hadn't messed with the lyrics!

Mark
9th March 2012, 12:20
Don't forget, 2012 season preview tonight at 8pm.