PDA

View Full Version : CONFIRMED: Mikko moves to Citroën for 2012

Lalo
16th November 2011, 20:32
World Rally Championship - News - Hirvonen replaces Ogier at Citroen (http://www.wrc.com/news/hirvonen-replaces-ogier-at-citroen/?fid=15807)

Too bad he's leaving the blue oval :( Now he's only gonna play support and not be allowed to win a single rally unless Sèb retires. Can't wait to see Latvala next year, we's gonna be quite a competitor for the drivers championship

tmx
16th November 2011, 21:18
I was shocked at the news and about Ogier going to another team as well. Its going to be very interesting for fans, now we have more than 2 contenders for the championship, Loeb, Latvala, Ogier, maybe Mikko, the Min guys.

Always liked Mikko ever since people criticized him during hist first half season at Ford, but disappointed that he would play second fiddle to Sebastian. As I said in another thread, he lost his last chance of becoming world champion when retiring Wales, and this move sealed that.

It could be the case with Button going to McLaren and beat Hamilton with the same machinery. But then Button was already world champion and had a good contract, I'm doubting Mikko will get the same support as Loeb. Still, I WANT TO SEE MIKKO SKILLS IN THE CITROEN VS LOEB.

It seem plans for Mikko has been laid out:
“Everybody knows he can play the perfect supporting role, which is what he did fantastic for us in 2006 and 2007. It’s very clear what the strategy is [at Citroen] and who is their number one." Malcolm
"Mikko is a talented driver and his consistency will be a big help in our fight to retain the manufacturers’ title." Quesnel

Hopes he prove me wrong.

Barreis
16th November 2011, 21:21
Go Loeb.

ShiftingGears
16th November 2011, 23:08
I thought I was being trolled before I read the link. Would not have guessed this one.

WRCfan
16th November 2011, 23:30
Knew this was in the pipelines. Interesting move, although I don't think Quesnel will allow them to go head to head. I hope this doesn't turn into another Sordo scenario for Mikko. Having a Citroen C4 is good but only if he is allowed to drive it at full speed...

BleAivano
16th November 2011, 23:47
Knew this was in the pipelines. Interesting move, although I don't think Quesnel will allow them to go head to head. I hope this doesn't turn into another Sordo scenario for Mikko. Having a Citroen C4 is good but only if he is allowed to drive it at full speed...

surely you mean a DS-3? ;)

Plan9
16th November 2011, 23:58
I hope he will continue with Citroen after Loeb leaves. This will be his best chance. I was initially skeptical about this deal myself but i can see that Mikko could not keep driving semi-perfect cars. On a positive note, he has come along way since 2004 with Subaru.

N.O.T
17th November 2011, 00:24
I think Citroen will leave together with Loeb....

PLuto
17th November 2011, 01:07
...and will be replaced by Peugeot ;)

N.O.T
17th November 2011, 01:47
sounds good.

Plan9
17th November 2011, 02:08
I think that it would be imprudent to write off Mikko's chances of a title long-term. Not for 2 years anyway, maybe at Peugeot like Gronholm.
I think that he still has a good chance of winning Sweden and Finland at least.

GigiGalliNo1
17th November 2011, 02:51
Another thread needed?

Ucci
17th November 2011, 07:47
Don't forget-also Quesnel will be replaced for 2012!!

koko0703
17th November 2011, 16:26
Bad choice by Citroen, good bye to title for Mikko. I agree that next two seasons may be the last two years of the Citroen works operation.

Tomi
17th November 2011, 16:47
Bad choice by Citroen

Who do you think hey should have choosen? I dont think there was any other option, Ogier basicly kicked out, Latvala continiues 1 year more with Ford, the younger guys still lack experience.

tfp
17th November 2011, 17:00
I think Citroen will leave together with Loeb....

Me too. Maybe PSA will follow him to Le mans with the Loeb racing team or whatever its going to be called? Maybe not in the same class as peugeot though :)

Hey, werent you the one who was calling everyone a "village idiot" for suggesting Hirvonen may move to Citroen?

:D ;)

Wim_Impreza
17th November 2011, 19:22
Who do you think hey should have choosen? I dont think there was any other option, Ogier basicly kicked out, Latvala continiues 1 year more with Ford, the younger guys still lack experience.

In my opinion Petter Solberg is still a faster driver than Hirvonen.

Tomi
17th November 2011, 20:19
In my opinion Petter Solberg is still a faster driver than Hirvonen.

Citroen who has been working with him close now for some time dont seem to share your opinion.

noel157
17th November 2011, 21:01
Citroen who has been working with him close now for some time dont seem to share your opinion.

More a case of Petter working with/for Citroen. Not a good comparison, Petter has never had the same resources, he can't change components every 5 minutes, he has to think of the next event and he has to give some return to his backers. Keep in mind also he had to help fund the last 2 or so rounds himself, not a comfortable position to be in. If he was in Hirvonen's situation I think Petter would be faster.

Plan9
18th November 2011, 00:33
Me too. Maybe PSA will follow him to Le mans with the Loeb racing team or whatever its going to be called? Maybe not in the same class as peugeot though :)

Hey, werent you the one who was calling everyone a "village idiot" for suggesting Hirvonen may move to Citroen?

:D ;)

Why would Citroen and Loeb only commit for another 2 years? Surely they would like to extract further marketing revenue beyond this point? The DS3 will still be amazing!

If you are right it will be the end of Mikko's career; i can't imagine who would sign him after what is coming his way next year.

Tomi
18th November 2011, 05:28
More a case of Petter working with/for Citroen. Not a good comparison, Petter has never had the same resources, he can't change components every 5 minutes, he has to think of the next event and he has to give some return to his backers. Keep in mind also he had to help fund the last 2 or so rounds himself, not a comfortable position to be in. If he was in Hirvonen's situation I think Petter would be faster.

Im quite sure that Citroen knows petters resourses, it's likely that they have an engineer to help him in the tests and allso in the events, so I belive they have knowledge about drivers potential much more than what only followers with limited or made up information has.

Gard
18th November 2011, 07:57

So why did they release Ogier? Loeb demanded to be a clear #1, It's not about who's the faster driver. Hirvonen would loose to both Petter and Ogier. Citroen needed a good 2'nd driver to stick to his role of helping Loeb. Both Ogier and Petter has the will and ability to beat Loeb

MikeD
18th November 2011, 08:51
Why would Citroen and Loeb only commit for another 2 years? Surely they would like to extract further marketing revenue beyond this point? The DS3 will still be amazing!

Because Europe is looking low growth or even a long term resession for the next 3-5 years so the marketing value of being in the WRC is quite insignificant since people won't by any cars.

There are rumous that MINI is already reacting to this low growth scenarion and won't participate in WRC rallies outside Europe in 2012 in an attempt to limit costs.

PS: Have a look at the PSA (Peugeot/Citroën) stock below and you will see that this decrease cannot continue without significant cost reductions.

PEUGEOT aktiekurs og graf (http://www.euroinvestor.dk/Stock/ShowStockInfo.Aspx?StockId=344366)

AndyRAC
18th November 2011, 08:59
Because Europe is looking low growth or even a long term resession for the next 3-5 years so the marketing value of being in the WRC is quite insignificant since people won't by any cars.

There are rumous that MINI is already reacting to this low growth scenarion and won't participate in WRC rallies outside Europe in 2012 in an attempt to limit costs.

PS: Have a look at the PSA (Peugeot/Citroën) stock below and you will see that this decrease cannot continue without significant cost reductions.

PEUGEOT aktiekurs og graf (http://www.euroinvestor.dk/Stock/ShowStockInfo.Aspx?StockId=344366)

At last, a dose of realism.....

Tomi
18th November 2011, 09:20
So why did they release Ogier? Loeb demanded to be a clear #1, It's not about who's the faster driver. Hirvonen would loose to both Petter and Ogier. Citroen needed a good 2'nd driver to stick to his role of helping Loeb. Both Ogier and Petter has the will and ability to beat Loeb

Nothing speaks for that petter would be faster than Hirvonen or Ogier, maybe you guys should wake up to reality, petter has been without contract for years now and avilable for what ever team, but nobody has been interested in him, thats a fact.

cali
18th November 2011, 14:23
Indeed, looking for sponsors for his own team vs getting paid by Citroen. Which one could be better ... hmmm ...
Seems like Citroen bosses rate Hirvonen higher :)

tfp
18th November 2011, 20:26

If you are right it will be the end of Mikko's career; i can't imagine who would sign him after what is coming his way next year.

Depends whether Loeb wants to keep going I guess!
Can you imagine Citroen without a frenchman representing them? Maybe they shot themselves in the foot by being so faithful to Loeb...
I agree though, I think the only manufacturers that will want to sign Mikko will be wanting a clear number 2 in their team... :(