PDA

View Full Version : Ott Tänak - Future champion?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Allar
16th November 2011, 14:13
2004 first rally with Golf
2008 first year with 4wd car, Estonian champion in N4
2009 some WRC rallys, Estonian champion in N4, wins PSD shootout
2010 PSD, 2 wins in PWRC
2011 3 wins in SWRC, 7th place in Sardinia, 6th place in rally GB
2012 full season with Fiesta WRC

Is it more to come?

mm1
16th November 2011, 14:38
Deffo!

sp0+
16th November 2011, 14:44
I also think that Ott is the driver to watch in the forthcoming seasons!!!

For such a talented young driver with exceptional speed and relatively little experience, the only way is up!!!

N.O.T
16th November 2011, 14:51
He has the skills to become a top rally driver....however there are countless future champions lost in the process of becoming one, it takes a lot more than skills and unfortunatelly luck is one of the biggest factors...so we have to wait and see.

cali
16th November 2011, 15:19
My fellow countrymen could get too enthusiastic sometimes. Ott has the material, but like N.O.T. said it takes luck and good guidance to become champion. See we'll have to wait and see, at the moment let his driving do the talking ;)

Hartusvuori
16th November 2011, 15:52
If I wouldn't get enthusiastic over drivers like Tänak, I'd change sport. And if he fails to climb to the very top of the sport, I could say at least I tried. So far so good.

Allyc85
16th November 2011, 16:50
He certainly has the potential to be, his performance on Rally GB was massively impressive :)

He just needs to keep his head and learn all he can while using his natural ability.

I am evil Homer
16th November 2011, 17:05
Possibly...everyone seemed to say the same of Martin though and that never worked out for various reasons. He clearly has the raw talent to be very, very good but champion is a tough call.

mm1
16th November 2011, 17:22
We all know what happened with Martin, you never know what might have happened.

dimviii
16th November 2011, 17:47
We all know what happened with Martin, you never know what might have happened.

agree

mm1
16th November 2011, 18:09
If there is Ford WRT next year, I'm sure Ott is in it. In iRally Wilson says he can't afford Ogier.

tfp
16th November 2011, 18:12
Champion? He'd have to beat Paddon first, and hanninen at VW:-)

Juha_Koo
16th November 2011, 18:15
Tänak is a very promising driver. He just needs to finetune his driving style. Very throwing and dirty style, just like JML back in 2007 - a real pleasure to watch but clock doesn't like it. And as said, luck is needed too.

noel157
16th November 2011, 18:59
Tänak is a very promising driver. He just needs to finetune his driving style. Very throwing and dirty style, just like JML back in 2007 - a real pleasure to watch but clock doesn't like it. And as said, luck is needed too.

True, he really takes the car by the scruff of the neck and throws it into corners. Great for spectators but as you say, needs a bit of fine tuning but that will come.

Langdale Forest
16th November 2011, 19:14
He is already probably better than the 'future champion' that is Matthew Wilson, so he could be good if he is in a full season with ford next year,

Mintexmemory
16th November 2011, 19:22
I've been predicting this since the middle of last year. The 7th place in Sardinia with a S2000 Fiesta and a large WRC field was perhaps more impressive than the Wales performance (pleased to say I've been present at both). What does strike me is how young and shy he appears when not in the car. Hayden Paddon seems much more at ease with crowds and PR issues. As has been said elsewhere the sport isn't just about going fast in a car. I'm sure MM will sort that side of Ott's development, clearly that's why they went to Goodwood last year and Rallyfest this year.

Munkvy
16th November 2011, 19:57
I really hope we get to see a rematch season between Ott and Hayden, whether its S2000 or WRC cars. PSD wasn't really a fair comparison as they had experience of different rallies to each other and were stuck with rather unreliable cars. And perhaps add Hanninen into the mix for a really good 3 way fight.

Isn't it good to see there is some really good upcoming talent thats not French? :D

MrJan
16th November 2011, 20:04
Hope so. He was very exciting on Sunday. As others have said he will need to tidy up a bit (hopefully not too much) but he clearly has the raw speed.

Hartusvuori
16th November 2011, 20:16
Isn't it good to see there is some really good upcoming talent thats not French? :D

Is there upcoming talents from France at the moment? Campana has an FFSA campaign, but besides that - refresh my memory, please.

JTGANG
16th November 2011, 21:19
Is there upcoming talents from France at the moment? Campana has an FFSA campaign, but besides that - refresh my memory, please.

Mathieu Arzeno + Quentin Gilbert......i think they are upcoming stars.....Of course question is the level of same

ridder
16th November 2011, 21:21
He is promising, though imo he didn't yet had to tackle big downturns, misfortunes or big pressure for that matter. Mikkelsen already has at least 2 challenging periods behind (1. WRC stop and spectator-killing crash, 2. first half of 2011 IRC season) .

Neither did Tanak manage something like Ogier when he drove WRC first time in wales 2008 and won the first stage...

Btw. remember that at the end of 2004 the two ford pilots (Martin and Duval) looked like those who will rule the sport in the future (together with Loeb), both were out of it just a year later.

Allyc85
16th November 2011, 21:23
Duval) looked like those who will rule the sport in the future (together with Loeb),

I just genuinely laughed out loud Duval never looked that good! Hilarious!

bluuford
16th November 2011, 21:43
Neither did Tanak manage something like Ogier when he drove WRC first time in wales 2008 and won the first stage...

Tänak was not driving Citroen and his car was the one that weared those Chineses tyres first ever time under the WR Car..
And Tänak finished his first WRC in GB in 6th place.. which Ogier has never achieved in GB yet;-)

rubla
16th November 2011, 23:19
True, he really takes the car by the scruff of the neck and throws it into corners. Great for spectators but as you say, needs a bit of fine tuning but that will come.

I wouldnt say he is tooo dirty driver, but sure, he throws fair amount of gravel around.
And this is bit weird, considering few factors from his background - he is mentored by Markko, who was quite clean driver (himself been mentored by Ivar Raidam, on of Estonias best in his time and very-very neat driver); also, he comes from fwd car, fairly low powered one also (Golf prepared by his father almost without any budget worth mentioning) and this car should teach one to keep clean lines, as then you lose least amount of speed through corners.

I remember Ott having very cool fights with another youngster in their 2wd time - Rainer Aus. Then Ott drove Golf and Rainer drove Lada VFTS - rear wheel driven. They were of quite equal speed in many rallies and even Markko Märtin chose Rainer over Ott into his team (result - Estonian champ in N-4, but no continuing relationship). When eventually both ended up with 4wd, many people tried to compare their style and find influences from their early years 2wd (but differend driving axle) cars lessons. And Ott seemed to be cleaner, thus confirming that wfd should teach you to clean style...

ridder
16th November 2011, 23:26

Let me reword it a bit.... Duval and Martin looked like they will be the future top 3 drivers (with Loeb as the 1st one). They were beating Loeb on tarmac in Corsica (by huge margin), Spain (about same speed, but forced Loeb to make a mistake) and Duval was the only one keeping up in Germany, on gravel they made solid podium finishes.
You can laugh as much as you want but when someone beats Loeb (THE Tarmac ace) by 1 minute over 6 stages on tarmac, he looks good to me.

Anyway, main point was that few would believe that a year later they won't be much around.

Tänak was not driving Citroen and his car was the one that weared those Chineses tyres first ever time under the WR Car..
And Tänak finished his first WRC in GB in 6th place.. which Ogier has never achieved in GB yet;-)

Yes, in a way Tanaks achievement is better than Ogiers, even managing a 3rd best time, but it lacks the instant "wow" factor when looking from the outside.

Tanak has talent, but give him some more time before declaring him a champion.

Munkvy
17th November 2011, 00:26
Tanak was also not competing against some of the current fastest drivers in the WRC... Loeb, Sordo, Solberg, Hirvonen, Ogier were all out of contention. All of them you would expect to set faster times, which would place him 11th at worst... Thats not exactly a great start, its a GOOD start. But not a great start.

Especially if you compare it to 6th place by Paddon in Australia in a PWRC car!

I believe Tanak definitely has talent, but as others have said - he needs more seat time to prove just whether he is a flash in the pan or a potential future champion.

tolis
17th November 2011, 00:35
Especially if you compare it to 6th place by Paddon in Australia in a PWRC car!
Don't compare the 19 WRC cars with the 12 that took part in Australia. He was 5th behind Henning Solberg and he made a small mistake. That's why he moved down to 8th. Otherwise, he may have finished 4th. ;)

N.O.T
17th November 2011, 00:45
The difference between paddon and tanak is that tanak has tested himself with proper rally cars...paddon so far shows great skills with road cars on rally tyres. A group N car no matter how good or how expensive is miles away from a proper rally purpose built car.

tfp
17th November 2011, 00:57
Let me reword it a bit.... Duval and Martin looked like they will be the future top 3 drivers (with Loeb as the 1st one). They were beating Loeb on tarmac in Corsica (by huge margin), Spain (about same speed, but forced Loeb to make a mistake) and Duval was the only one keeping up in Germany, on gravel they made solid podium finishes.
You can laugh as much as you want but when someone beats Loeb (THE Tarmac ace) by 1 minute over 6 stages on tarmac, he looks good to me.

Anyway, main point was that few would believe that a year later they won't be much around.

Yes, in a way Tanaks achievement is better than Ogiers, even managing a 3rd best time, but it lacks the instant "wow" factor when looking from the outside.

Tanak has talent, but give him some more time before declaring him a champion.

Agree with all of this. I can see hanninen becoming champion before tanak. I look forward to the battles!

sollitt
17th November 2011, 01:58
The difference between paddon and tanak is that tanak has tested himself with proper rally cars...paddon so far shows great skills with road cars on rally tyres. A group N car no matter how good or how expensive is miles away from a proper rally purpose built car.Whilst I understand your comment N.O.T, a Group N car is very much more than a "road car on rally tyres". Nevertheless I believe comparisons between the two are inappropriate presently. Hayden has to create an opportunity to be tested in the 'real McCoy' machinery before he can be considered a candidate.
Tanak is a super star in the making. It's very early days but he reminds of one of my favorite alltime drivers, Markku Alen, in that he's blindingly quick but headstrong and occasional mistakes could render him the next 'best driver never to have won a championship'.

cali
17th November 2011, 08:41
Some of you just cannot realise that he was driving on DMacks!! You cannot draw any conclusions from that.

Actually Tänak has quite neat driving style, but in Wales we had very slippery conditions and DMack's grip level is unknown. It might as well be that in order to drive fast and stay on the road he needed to throw the car around more. And I've seen plenty of his driving in a VW Golf, Renault Clio, Impreza Gr.N and Fiesta S2000.

This is for guys from southern hemisphere: please do not bring Paddon again into Tänak discussions. Specially those biased opinions. I'm estonian and trying not to be overenthusiastic about Tänak as he has still long way to go. You try to do the same ;)

Mintexmemory
17th November 2011, 08:46
Sorry Tanak seems to have a greater momentum already than Juho, I don't believe Haninen is ever going to be a WRC champ - just a good No2 perhaps at VW, time is slipping away for him.

rubla
17th November 2011, 08:51
As i see, there are two ways of becoming champ - from slower to fast&consistent or from too-fast to fast&consistent. When Petter started on WRC cars years ago, he was instantly fast, but crashed a lot. No he doesnt crash that much but somehow some speed seems to be gone also. JML also reminds me somewhat Petter in his early years. And seems that Ott is cut of same material.
Markko at same time was not always up to Petter's speed, but made much less mistakes. On few years, they traded wins both ways, both were reasonably fast and consistent. But we have to remember that there are many guys who also start with reasonable consistency and many see some potential in them, but they never quite make it.
Then there is Loeb, who stepped on stage roughly same, but whom i for some time didnt think as champion material because of lasck of speed on loose surface (boy, was i wrong :P ), there have always been fast guys on tarmac who never quite make it on loose stuff - Panizzi and Duval are 2 of my favourites from past.

Leon
17th November 2011, 09:16
I find it sad to have so many up and coming young drivers and soooo few if any works seats to fill.....

AndyRAC
17th November 2011, 10:06
I find it sad to have so many up and coming young drivers and soooo few if any works seats to fill.....

I agree, I still think the new car regs were a missed opportunity. They should & could have been cheaper still – and I’m sure more Manufacturers would have signed up. Only 2 extra have joined, and one has major doubts about next year for a full programme. The other won’t join for another year. So where are the rest??

bluuford
17th November 2011, 11:48
Some of you just cannot realise that he was driving on DMacks!! You cannot draw any conclusions from that.

It was often visible that he was fastest on the first part of the stage and got slower as the stage progressed. Might be the fact that DMack copiled so soft tyres for GB that they just overheated by the end of longer stages. Remember that from saturday night the rain stopped and roads dryed up a little. First morning stage was still very wet and he got the third best time.

Actually Tänak has quite neat driving style, but in Wales we had very slippery conditions and DMack's grip level is unknown. It might as well be that in order to drive fast and stay on the road he needed to throw the car around more. And I've seen plenty of his driving in a VW Golf, Renault Clio, Impreza Gr.N and Fiesta S2000.
Same here.

And I just double checked that Tänak lost approximately 2:23, when he had the overheating problem and 53.6 sec when the same stage was used second time - then he had an oil pressure problem. Theese were the stages Myherin 1 and 2. So, we can approximate it to 3 minutes (compared to normal pace). That makes the final loss to less than 6:30 and third place indeed.

Moreover, He lost a lot in SS11 which was foggy and he was among those who had to drive it in the darkness. he lost around 1:30 there as well.
But we never know and there is no point to sell fishes before you actually catch some:-)

He also

Barreis
17th November 2011, 17:11
We'll see next season how he'll do against Loeb. :D

EuroTroll
17th November 2011, 17:43
I remember when Markko was asked in the stellar season of 2003 how many championships he thought he'd win in the future. Wisely, he said he hoped at least one. As we found out in 2005, against Grönholm at Peugeot, he didn't really have what it takes. And then there was the accident.

Will Ott ever win one? If I'm honest, I don't think so. He's too inconsistent. The "Tänak attack" is great and we've seen he has tremendous speed, but keeping it consistently on the road has been a problem... Imagine him having to go through an entire season without mistakes. I can't.

That said, I think he can become a serious player in the WRC and I think he will win rallies. Which would be great enough!

EuroTroll
17th November 2011, 18:17

I disagree and agree wholeheartedly with Ridder. Duval did look like the dog's bollocks (i.e the box deluxe) at one time, before moving to Citroen. He was winning stages left and right, and he was still young!

But things change, and he seemed to lose it all when pitted against the Seb..

BDunnell
17th November 2011, 18:30
Will Ott ever win one? If I'm honest, I don't think so.

Sadly, I think that of almost every driver in the WRC at present. The depth of talent just isn't there.

rubla
17th November 2011, 19:15
But things change, and he seemed to lose it all when pitted against the Seb..

We should not forget that through history some drivers seem to be top guys in one car and suck in another - Mäkinen in Mitsu vs Sub; Märttin in Ford vs Pug - i would put Duval also in that line with his Ford vs Citroen move. Some cars are developed for and by certain star drivers and others coming in might just find them unsuitable for them, maybe because car suits certain driving style better than another, maybe they just dont feel comfortable in new car behaving too differently comparing to old one.

sollitt
17th November 2011, 20:12
The depth of talent just isn't there. I think that's harsh, and far from true. There's a huge depth of talent on tap with the present drivers, the young Tanak, Paddon, Nikara and the top IRC contenders, Hanninen etc... . Not to mention a few older ex WRC pilots still hanging around the fringes.
The issue is the mountain is so much tougher to climb than in other era. Regardless of talent or financial backing these guys simply cannot sit in a Loeb spec Citroen or the Ford equivalent so you cannot assess their ability accurately.
And when & if they do ever get the chance, they have to contend with the master himself with a decade unchallenged at the top and for whom the car is as comfortable as an old slipper.

I think too much is being made of the D-Mack tyre. Not enough is known to make assessment here on whether he would have been faster, better, cleaner, on Michellin's. The fact that Tanak lost speed toward the end of long stages could simply be a concentration issue. He wouldn't be the first.

The fact that we're talking about him is fair indication that he's already an exciting and class act.

BDunnell
17th November 2011, 20:17
I think that's harsh, and far from true. There's a huge depth of talent on tap with the present drivers, the young Tanak, Paddon, Nikara and the top IRC contenders, Hanninen etc... . Not to mention a few older ex WRC pilots still hanging around the fringes.
The issue is the mountain is so much tougher to climb than in other era. Regardless of talent or financial backing these guys simply cannot sit in a Loeb spec Citroen or the Ford equivalent so you cannot assess their ability accurately.
And when & if they do ever get the chance, they have to contend with the master himself with a decade unchallenged at the top and for whom the car is as comfortable as an old slipper.

I think too much is being made of the D-Mack tyre. Not enough is known to make assessment here on whether he would have been faster, better, cleaner, on Michellin's. The fact that Tanak lost speed toward the end of long stages could simply be a concentration issue. He wouldn't be the first.

The fact that we're talking about him is fair indication that he's already an exciting and class act.

We talk a lot about Matt Wilson, and he is neither.

Other than that, you make very good points.

jbmarcus21
17th November 2011, 21:21
#WRC Ott Tanak will drive the 2nd Ford Fiesta Wrc in French National Rallye du Var 2011 & Latvala in first Fiesta Wrc Var Ralye 2011 (http://t.co/n1Xb9q37)

Allar
17th November 2011, 21:29
Latvala and Tänak, does it mean something?

focus206
17th November 2011, 21:35
#WRC Ott Tanak will drive the 2nd Ford Fiesta Wrc in French National Rallye du Var 2011 & Latvala in first Fiesta Wrc Var Ralye 2011 (http://t.co/n1Xb9q37)

Interesting...

rubla
17th November 2011, 22:17
Latvala and Tänak, does it mean something?

It could be a sign! M-Sport must be paying for this event, because i see very little reason for Ott to cover these costs, considering how tight his budget has always been. Maybe Wilson is trying to show Ford bigwigs some new and exciting team options and doing this in a rally without other real wrc entrants is quite safe (also bit pointless maybe...)?

noel157
17th November 2011, 22:27
Good practice for RMC, no snow and ice (usually).

James Graham
17th November 2011, 23:45
I think Tanak is still an unknown quantity. He obviously has car control and commitment in abundance but these days they are just not enough. He has a lot of work to do in other areas but he is still young enough to be moulded into a great driver and he certainly has the right management team behind him who have succeeded in putting him in front of the right people early on in his career.

It is an interesting time for the WRC with so many young drivers coming through to replace the likes of Loeb and Hirvonen in a couple of years.

Josti
18th November 2011, 00:18
Still, Ford has to commit to WRC, and a probable demand for them is a new Manu title for once. Taking a young driver like Tänak, as talended as he is, is still a risk. Especially considering they are now against both Mr. Consistency's at Citroën.

noel157
18th November 2011, 00:22
Latvala is Papa Wilson's meal ticket for next season. He may be happy to have a "budget" No 2 driver.

wildsir
18th November 2011, 09:27
MW has an invested interest in Tanak, so maybe he is trying to force Fords hand by sending him to Var, and trying to make him the obvious choice for 2nd driver, but listening to the irally MW interview, his stranglehold over having ultimate decision for driven selection is under threat in a new MSport/Ford contract. I've nothing against Tanak by the way, and is probably pick of young drivers, but don't think he'll be a WRC Champ is any less than 5 years, if everything goes his way.

rp
18th November 2011, 10:02
Tänak has great future, but without a doubt it is too early for him to be Ford´s second works driver. If Ford is going to take Drivers or Manufacturers title in the near future it has to happen during the season 2012. The car is now almost on the same level than Citroen and Latvala has the speed and experience to fight with Loeb.

Tomi
18th November 2011, 10:23
Things looks good for Tänak at the moment, but like history shows there is still a million things that can go wrong.

bluuford
18th November 2011, 13:15

Yes, you never know. I was brave enough to make this statement because he has been usually faster at the end of stages with S2000 car. Now he was clearly slower. Maybe WRC is so much more demanding? I dont know.

Allar
18th November 2011, 16:40
Now we can compear him with Latvala. Both running on same tyres.

Allar
23rd November 2011, 11:03
There was some romours in Estonian press yesterday that Malcom fill hire Tänak when he cant hire Ogier. Ogier is with WV now, so Tänak and Latvala are teammates for 2012 season?

noel157
23rd November 2011, 11:49
Snow and ice in Rallye du Var? Last year they had a little bit of snow, and that melted almost instantly...

You misunderstood, I said "no snow and ice (usually)" which is exactly what you just wrote. :)
Perhaps I should've said "Good practice for RMC, without snow and ice"

EuroTroll
23rd November 2011, 14:33
There was some romours in Estonian press yesterday that Malcom fill hire Tänak when he cant hire Ogier. Ogier is with WV now, so Tänak and Latvala are teammates for 2012 season?

The thing that bewilders me in these speculations is: what about Mads Østberg? He's the same age as Tänak, but more experienced and already more accomplished in a WRC car. Why wouldn't Ford choose him to partner Latvala?

As an Estonian, I'd like to see Tänak in a works car very much, but to be honest, I think it might be a little too early for him.

noel157
23rd November 2011, 14:35
Tanak is under contract and Mads is just a customer, no? Maybe D-Mack will be a factor?

cali
23rd November 2011, 14:40
Tanak is under contract and Mads is just a customer, no? Maybe D-Mack will be a factor?
What about DMack?

noel157
23rd November 2011, 14:46
What about DMack?

Money, sponsorship, support etc.

Mintexmemory
23rd November 2011, 14:46
The thing that bewilders me in these speculations is: what about Mads Østberg? He's the same age as Tänak, but more experienced and already more accomplished in a WRC car. Why wouldn't Ford choose him to partner Latvala?

Well the cynical answer is that why pay someone who is already paying you, when you can pay someone else (of rapidly improving potential) much less and not create a threat to the undisputed team leader. As for Mads being more experienced than Ott - I believe many of the 2011 events were new to Mads and Ott was doing them in SWRC at the same time (e.g. Sardinia).

EuroTroll
23rd November 2011, 15:00
Well the cynical answer is that why pay someone who is already paying you, when you can pay someone else (of rapidly improving potential) much less and not create a threat to the undisputed team leader. As for Mads being more experienced than Ott - I believe many of the 2011 events were new to Mads and Ott was doing them in SWRC at the same time (e.g. Sardinia).

Still, two podium finishes... Not bad for Norway's next rally generation.

Or does Mads's ability to independently find funds for next year really count against him? That would be... interesting.

cali
23rd November 2011, 16:11
Money, sponsorship, support etc.
Not going to happen unless they would like to be out of top 6

noel157
23rd November 2011, 18:33
Have to start somewhere.

tolis
18th December 2011, 01:34
I found a picture of Ott Tanak driving a Renault Clio Sport in Rally Norway 2006.

http://www.utmark.biz/RallyNorway/IMG_1156_w.jpg

Allar
18th December 2011, 02:50
It was a new team for very young Ott Tänak back in 2006. I think he retired from this event. He had very sloppy gearchanges back then and it destroyed gearbox.

rubla
18th December 2011, 21:14
He had very sloppy gearchanges back then and it destroyed gearbox.

That was "official" version of things by one quite controversial local team chief back then. He also said that Ott will never achieve anything in rally due to obvious lack of talent. period. If you look at his performances before and after this brief stint in this team, you notice that he has never had problems with gearchanges, not before with Golf, not afterwards with other cars. One explanation which i heard, was that this was due to defective transmission/gearbox, they should have bought new gearbox and related parts, instead of replacing just broken cogs. But as things went sour there quickly and team didnt want to spend money on him, this was never done. If i remember correctly though, after he left this team, he also bought out this same Renault, got new gearbox and suddenly overnight these gearbox failures stopped...

Jeppe
18th December 2011, 21:37
I found one pic also. It´s from 2005 edition of Tallinn Rally where Ott were quite spectacular - as always

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y226/jamseju/tallinna_06_05_05/DSC_0136.jpg

EuroTroll
13th February 2012, 12:20
Not a very impressive Sweden 2012 I think, despite winning the Hagfors Sprint twice. The speed was usually unspectacular, way below Östberg, Novikov, sometimes even Prokop.. Never mind putting it in the ditch twice.

Here's hoping for a better Mexico!

Francis44
13th February 2012, 13:00
I think after his mistake there was not much to fight for. I still have big hopes for him and I think in gravel he might surprise.

Perhaps starting a bit slower and progress through the rally and not start at 100%, that usually doesnt go well.

EuroTroll
14th February 2012, 11:27
Perhaps not surprisingly, Estonian yellow media is speculating about some possible discord between Tänak and his co-driver Kuldar Sikk. There's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOQ0sDEv9yw) of Tänak's first off in Sweden that ends with the words, "F*** it, you're late!" and the speculation is that perhaps the trust between the two men is not exactly high at the moment.

It could all be a lot of nonsense of course. Then again, maybe not.

Hartusvuori
14th February 2012, 11:40
^ Off topic, but in a way it's positive that they write about rallying. In the end, that's what keeps this business going.

Mintexmemory
14th February 2012, 11:47
Perhaps not surprisingly, Estonian yellow media is speculating about some possible discord between Tänak and his co-driver Kuldar Sikk. There's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOQ0sDEv9yw) of Tänak's first off in Sweden that ends with the words, "F*** it, you're late!" and the speculation is that perhaps the trust between the two men is not exactly high at the moment.

Kuldar seems a really nice guy and must have cojones the size of basketballs to continue getting into the right hand seat alongside Ott. All drivers give the Co-driver hell from time to time (Ogier, Duval etc) but perhaps Ott has seen what Giraudet has done for Novikov and would like some of that sort of help.

cali
14th February 2012, 11:52

In estonian rallying scene there's been lot of discussion about Sikk, his bad karma with Aava and now with Tänak. Mistakes started to come in their first outings in PSD campaign few years back. Kuldar was late and they crashed in their first race in Turkey having comfortable lead in PWRC class. Even then, when they have had very successful period, people have much doubted in Kuldar's ability.

I have no personal experience with Kuldar, so I don't have any point of view on this matter myself.

Saddest part is that in Estonia there's really no-one else to take. Kristo Kraag could be the man for the job, but he's handling MMMotorsport activities at the moment and reportedly not interested in co-driving anymore.

A.F.F.
14th February 2012, 12:30

Which one said that comment, Tänak?

Doesn't have to mean anything, just an instant reaction of disappointment.

cali
14th February 2012, 12:54
Which one said that comment, Tänak?

Doesn't have to mean anything, just an instant reaction of disappointment.
Tänak it was and for me it sounded too as an instant reaction. C'mon, you finns should be able to understand our language ;)

grugsticles
14th February 2012, 13:04
In estonian rallying scene there's been lot of discussion about Sikk, his bad karma with Aava and now with Tänak. Mistakes started to come in their first outings in PSD campaign few years back. Kuldar was late and they crashed in their first race in Turkey having comfortable lead in PWRC class. Even then, when they have had very successful period, people have much doubted in Kuldar's ability.

I have no personal experience with Kuldar, so I don't have any point of view on this matter myself.

Saddest part is that in Estonia there's really no-one else to take. Kristo Kraag could be the man for the job, but he's handling MMMotorsport activities at the moment and reportedly not interested in co-driving anymore.
If thats the case (the codriver isnt the right one for Tanak), then why not get another codriver from elsewhere in the world? Does he have to be Estonian?
Petter obviously prefers his notes in English rather than Norwegian (he chose Patterson to replace Mills) and other drivers are the same. How good is Tanak's English? or other languages?
Perhaps someone like a Kai Linstrom would be good selection instead?

From what ive seen of Tanak, Im not disappointed or impressed. He obviously has talent, but maybe its not showing fully atm due to other factors? codriver, media exposure, personal life, etc.

PS. What ever happened to Aava?

cali
14th February 2012, 13:28
If thats the case (the codriver isnt the right one for Tanak), then why not get another codriver from elsewhere in the world? Does he have to be Estonian?
Petter obviously prefers his notes in English rather than Norwegian (he chose Patterson to replace Mills) and other drivers are the same. How good is Tanak's English? or other languages?
Perhaps someone like a Kai Linstrom would be good selection instead?

From what ive seen of Tanak, Im not disappointed or impressed. He obviously has talent, but maybe its not showing fully atm due to other factors? codriver, media exposure, personal life, etc.

PS. What ever happened to Aava?

No, it's not obligatory to have estonian co-driver (Märtin had Park), but I guess Ott is used to have notes in estonian.
Tänak has not impressed so far, but I think it's a part of a learning curve and estonian press has put quite a bit pressure on him. So I think your comment is spot on.

Aava had no money when his main sponsor had financial difficulties (Karl Kruuda's father) and had to stop. He is now running a small business in Estonia and is the main man behind Rally Estonia project.

Barreis
14th February 2012, 13:36
It seems every driver needs time except two Sebs, they had speed straight from the box.

EuroTroll
14th February 2012, 16:06
It seems every driver needs time except two Sebs, they had speed straight from the box.

That's seemingly true, but they both arrived on the WRC scene quite late (compared to Latvala, for example). Ogier is now 28, and Loeb didn't really win anything before that age.

dimviii
14th February 2012, 16:23
and Loeb didn't really win anything before that age.

how could? do you know when he started?

EuroTroll
14th February 2012, 16:26
how could? do you know when he started?

Age 20-21?

A.F.F.
14th February 2012, 16:31
Tänak it was and for me it sounded too as an instant reaction. C'mon, you finns should be able to understand our language ;)

Isn't that the other way around ?

Sorry cali, I just couldn't resist :p :

cali
14th February 2012, 16:45
Isn't that the other way around ?

Sorry cali, I just couldn't resist :p :
Our languages are so similar that this should not be too hard ;) so yeah, I can speak finnish quite fluently

But I understand what you're referring to ;)

EuroTroll
14th February 2012, 16:57
Our languages are so similar that this should not be too hard ;)

The problem of course is that similar sounding words mean different things in Finnish and Estonian. "T***, jääd hiljaks" (F*** it, you're late) -- "(Swear word), jäit hiljaiseksi" (F*** it, you're quiet).

So I think A.F.F. can be forgiven. :)

dimviii
14th February 2012, 17:05
Age 20-21?

yes, but he had won cup jeunes at France.

Karukera
14th February 2012, 17:48
yes, but he had won cup jeunes at France.

Not sure if it is what you're refering to but Loeb failed twice at the Peugeot Rallye Jeunes operation. According to the jury he was quick but not enough... consistent.
Good for him he didn't give up then.

About Tänak, he has to make very good use of a top rally car in a short period of time, while it lasts.

dimviii
14th February 2012, 18:30
Not sure if it is what you're refering to but Loeb failed twice at the Peugeot Rallye Jeunes operation. According to the jury he was quick but not enough... consistent.

he came to final twice,once he lost,and other time was winner,but decided to give the trophy to another competitor cause he started after dark.

J.Lindstroem
14th February 2012, 18:35
I was disapointed with Tänak, i have to say. Judging by his speed in the S2000 last year, i expected him to challenge for stage wins. (on the real stages)

pettersolberg29
14th February 2012, 18:50
I agree with you J.Lindstroem after loads of people seemed to want him in the Ford factory seat alongside JML. I thought that maybe I'd missed something and that he was a much better driver than I had thought myself.

It seemed I was right (along with many others) and they were wrong! Where are the people who said Tanak should be in the official Ford team now? Probably the same people who say Petter has been too slow so far...

Barreis
14th February 2012, 18:59
Guy is no worse then Latvala at this stage of carrier. When remember those tears in Germany and all crashes, this bloke is not bad. But he can wipe a** to Ogier.

dimviii
14th February 2012, 19:00
dont be in a rush to make conclusions.There are so many thinks that can be wrong.Wait and be patience with youngsters.We ll see at more rallies for safe conclusions.
i ve said it again,s2000 cars are more human for a good driver,wrc cars are not ''human'' for everybody.

Barreis
14th February 2012, 19:03
If he'll have budget to compete in 10 years plan, he could be winner.

tfp
14th February 2012, 19:05
I agree with you J.Lindstroem after loads of people seemed to want him in the Ford factory seat alongside JML. I thought that maybe I'd missed something and that he was a much better driver than I had thought myself.

It seemed I was right (along with many others) and they were wrong! Where are the people who said Tanak should be in the official Ford team now? Probably the same people who say Petter has been too slow so far...

My thoughts exactly, he is a very good driver, just not ready for a factory seat when theres JML, Petter, Loeb and Hirvonen.
But the futures bright for Tanak I am sure, good things may take a while, but they will follow!

Karukera
14th February 2012, 19:13
he came to final twice,once he lost,and other time was winner,but decided to give the trophy to another competitor cause he started after dark.

Nice story. :)

In real, he managed the best time in the 1995 finale but failed to impress the jury by his lack of consistency. In 1996, although dominating the series he spun in the last round in the finale and was disqualified.

dimviii
14th February 2012, 19:24
Nice story. :)

In real, he managed the best time in the 1995 finale but failed to impress the jury by his lack of consistency. In 1996, although dominating the series he spun in the last round in the finale and was disqualified.

nice story?

That was in 1995, Sebastien was 21 and he needed 100 francs (almost £10) to enter for the race. So he scraped his pennies together and won the regional selection as well as the final of Le Castellet but his closest opponent, who started the event after dark was declared winner.
In 1996, he failed the final again. But he didn't mind, Sebastien was sure of his skills but the hardest part was still to be done : he had to find the money to try to start a career.

Site officiel de Sébastien Loeb - Sébastien (http://www.sebastienloeb.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=20&idcontent=22&Itemid=35)

A.F.F.
14th February 2012, 20:20
I think Tänak is promising driver. He IS very young as you've mentioned, why won't we give him time.

DonJippo
14th February 2012, 20:36
I think Tänak is promising driver. He IS very young as you've mentioned, why won't we give him time.

Like till the end of first stage in Mexico?

cali
14th February 2012, 21:08

Why only Mexico? You're too impatient :D

sollitt
14th February 2012, 23:44
Where are the people who said Tanak should be in the official Ford team now? I was one who suggested Tanak was an exciting young prospect in contrast to Petter's being past his use by date. I'm still here and not sure than anything we've seen necessarily alters that view. Petter has picked up one podium (albeit 3 minutes in arrears) and one near miss in two specialist events he could've been expected to do well at. The season is young .... and the gravel is coming.

tfp
15th February 2012, 00:40
The season is young .... and the gravel is coming.

This can mean only good news for Petter IMO!

pettersolberg29
15th February 2012, 02:19
I was one who suggested Tanak was an exciting young prospect in contrast to Petter's being past his use by date. I'm still here and not sure than anything we've seen necessarily alters that view. Petter has picked up one podium (albeit 3 minutes in arrears) and one near miss in two specialist events he could've been expected to do well at. The season is young .... and the gravel is coming.

So if you were Malcolm Wilson would you replace Petter with Ott now if you could? Petter came 3rd and won 4 stages in by far and away his weakest rally (not one he's expected to do well in at all), and would have come 3rd in Sweden if not for a stray rock, beating Loeb and Ostberg, a guy who almost won the rally last year. Sweden has never been very strong for Petter, and he has had only 2 days in the car on snow before the event! To say Petter could have been expected to do well so far is wrong - this is his best ever return from the first two events of a season ever! Tanak meanwhile has shown very little pace bar one stage in Sweden and has crashed a couple of times already! With gravel coming I can only see Petter increase the gap to Ott and push on for wins and podiums. Yes, Tanak is the better long-term option but for anyone to suggest he was a better option for 2012 is a little bit naive in my opinion.

Plan9
15th February 2012, 03:47
Also his team mate has had some good results so far...

sollitt
15th February 2012, 04:43
I am believer of the adage that "you make your own luck", however I do think that Petter's results this season have, to some degree, come on the back of others failings.
As for how he fares on the gravel, time will tell. I have always been a fan of Petter and am happy to stand corrected.

cali
15th February 2012, 07:43
Take it easy, anyone who thought that Tänak was better suited for the second seat at Ford was either fanboy or out of their minds. It's too early and lack of experience has been evident on last rallyes.

sollitt
15th February 2012, 08:41
Calm down Cali, we had this debate some months ago and nobody will recall who said what. I've just answered PS29's challenge to those who liked Tanak during that debate. No one else has been brave to do so. Let's keep the personal **** to yourself. Last season Tanak showed very strong ability and there are many who believe the sport needsexciting new blood for a shakeup ... that is all.

Karukera
15th February 2012, 09:16
but his closest opponent, who started the event after dark was declared winner.

Sure but the other side of the story is that Bernardi was younger and the jury found him more mature and consistent for the Volant Peugeot 106 drive.

Googling the web or the press in his language will show that the official story is unanimously reported by witnesses, journalists or people actually involved in the sport at that time.

Interestingly, this is where his Rally time begins.

Now back to Ott Tänak. :)

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/flintwood/Loeb1.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/flintwood/Loeb2.jpg

Viking
15th February 2012, 09:39
So Loeb from starting with rally - Champion.......... 9 years plan :D

Let us give these youngsters some time to shine :)

cali
15th February 2012, 10:28
Calm down Cali, we had this debate some months ago and nobody will recall who said what. I've just answered PS29's challenge to those who liked Tanak during that debate. No one else has been brave to do so. Let's keep the personal **** to yourself. Last season Tanak showed very strong ability and there are many who believe the sport needsexciting new blood for a shakeup ... that is all.

You have seriously misunderstood my post. I'm very calm and in my mind was not personal towards nobody. Chill, man!

dimviii
15th February 2012, 14:23
i still try to find where Loeb had failed according to your statement you wrote.How you can fail when you reached the final at 2 years?
The only fail i see, is from the jury that saw Bernardi more consistent.

Loeb failed twice at the Peugeot Rallye Jeunes operation. According to the jury he was quick but not enough... consistent.

Sure but the other side of the story is that Bernardi was younger and the jury found him more mature and consistent for the Volant Peugeot 106 drive.

Googling the web or the press in his language will show that the official story is unanimously reported by witnesses, journalists or people actually involved in the sport at that time.

Interestingly, this is where his Rally time begins.

Karukera
15th February 2012, 14:48
i still try to find where Loeb had failed according to your statement you wrote.How you can fail when you reached the final at 2 years?
The only fail i see, is from the jury that saw Bernardi more consistent.

I am not making a statement, i quote the facts.
And if i am saying anything it's that the situation is highly ironical.
Just imagine the faces of the jury when he started to win rallies on a regular basis, when he became Champion de France, to the pinnacle of becoming world champion once, twice...5, 6, 7, 8...

Priceless :)

Mintexmemory
15th February 2012, 15:35

Oi, I was a Tanak for Ford proponent too. Let's see what the season brings at the end unfair to judge anyone after 2 rallies. Just as stupid as those saying that JML was unable to produce the goods after MC

N.O.T
15th February 2012, 16:40
when he became Champion de France, to the pinnacle of becoming world champion once, twice...5, 6, 7, 8...

Priceless :)

He never was champion of france he was gravel champion of france.

focus206
15th February 2012, 16:44
He never was champion of france he was gravel champion of france.

Actually I think he did won the French Championship in 2001...

Barreis
15th February 2012, 17:05
If it wasn't 'cos of Martin, Tanak would never be third driver at ford.

DonJippo
15th February 2012, 17:24
If it wasn't 'cos of Martin, Tanak would never be third driver at ford.

Your point being?

A.F.F.
15th February 2012, 21:56

Kyllähän pätkän loppuun pitää katsoa :D

Barreis
15th February 2012, 22:37
Your point being?

Nothing special. You're Finn so you know that there's at least five Finns with his abbilities.

COD
16th February 2012, 16:22
Tänak for me has been a real dissapointment in the first two rallies this year. Maybe the pressure has been too much. Hope he can get his act together, we need more drivers on the top!

Allar
16th February 2012, 17:58
But what u guys waited from Ott in Monte anyway? First time on Snow-tarmac rally and u wanted podium? lol...
In sweden i think he showd good speed on qualifying stage. I was a little disapointed too after Sweden, but i really hope he can do well in Mexico.
Anyway is there a high altitude test for Ford anytime soon?

tfp
16th February 2012, 19:16
But what u guys waited from Ott in Monte anyway? First time on Snow-tarmac rally and u wanted podium? lol...
In sweden i think he showd good speed on qualifying stage. I was a little disapointed too after Sweden, but i really hope he can do well in Mexico.
Anyway is there a high altitude test for Ford anytime soon?

I should hope so, one that actually makes a difference this time!!

EstWRC
9th September 2017, 03:43
Since there is a lot of talk about Tänaks future in the m-sport thread i thought i would search if there is a separate topic about him made in the past and found this old one.

Quite an interesting read this 13 pages :)

Fast Eddie WRC
23rd May 2018, 19:25
Colin Clark's latest vlog post-Rally Portugal in which he states who he thinks will be the 2018 WRChampion...

https://youtu.be/4l-kbAJPyIk

mknight
23rd May 2018, 21:41
Not sure if I agree with pointing out Latvala and Lappi as great wingmen, given their form so far this year.

Agree that if Tanak wins Sardinia he will be big favorite since Toyota+Tanak do seem like the fastest combination this year. If he doesn't close the gap soon it will be difficult though.

AnttiL
23rd May 2018, 21:43
Not sure if I agree with pointing out Latvala and Lappi as great wingmen, given their form so far this year.

At least Lappi has taken enough power stage points off Ogier and Neuville.

BigWorm
23rd May 2018, 23:00
Think Tänak has a decent possibility to win the three next events on the bounce, it could bring him back closer to Neuville-Ogier or even leave them behind.

Turkey should then be interesting, given no one really has an experience advantage over another. The championship is turning out to be quite ok...

Fast Eddie WRC
24th May 2018, 11:03
Tanak seems the 'fastest' driver but there is more to winning a Championship than that... Meeke has shown that over recent years.

Its about consistency and Ogier has proven that. If anyone looks like they've learned that lesson its Neuville...

ESTR
24th May 2018, 14:11
Tanak seems the 'fastest' driver but there is more to winning a Championship than that... Meeke has shown that over recent years.

Its about consistency and Ogier has proven that. If anyone looks like they've learned that lesson its Neuville...

What about the cars that have technical issues (and not caused by any hit or driver errors)? Then it's called automatically for that drivers that are inconsistent. Ogier must be one lucky guy out there.

Tarmop
24th May 2018, 17:39
Umh, if you think about last two seasons, then they are pretty equal with their own mistakes, that cost them a result. Then add the luck-factor, no. 1 and no.2 driver hierarchy...

Fast Eddie WRC
25th May 2018, 13:26
Its like with Lavala... he gets more 'bad luck' with mechanical failures.

Even in the tank-like VW Polo he had more issues than Ogier.

But for how long can it just be luck ? Eventually it has to seen as the driving-style or poor decision-making or even bad pacenote making...

cali
25th May 2018, 13:56
Colin Clark has lost it. Tänak has too many mistakes and/or bad luck under his belt. To be in the fight for the championship he has no room for errors anymore and he needs all the help from other drivers as well + bad luck to Neuville and Ogier. Pacewise Meeke could have been that guy who randomly could take some points off here and there from Neuville and Ogier. He has now been dumped from Citroen which makes the task even harder. Unlikely to happen.

Neuville is my pick for the title now considering the ratio of pace and consistency.

Mintexmemory
25th May 2018, 14:12
Neuville is my pick for the title now considering the ratio of pace and consistency.
Ogier tried to impose himself in Portugal and would at worse been second. Neuville now has to clean for Seb - I expect like last year the pressure of championship leader will get to Thierry and that possibly by the end of NORF, certainly Deutschland, Ogier will be leading again.

cali
25th May 2018, 14:19
Ogier tried to impose himself in Portugal and would at worse been second. Neuville now has to clean for Seb - I expect like last year the pressure of championship leader will get to Thierry and that possibly by the end of NORF, certainly Deutschland, Ogier will be leading again.

Hey, we will see. But Ogier's pace for me is not convincing. Anyways, it surely will be interesting season ahead of us.

onemanband
25th May 2018, 20:44
Hey, we will see. But Ogier's pace for me is not convincing. Anyways, it surely will be interesting season ahead of us.

What will make it more interesting is the relative lack of pace for all Hyundais last year after Poland until Australia. It has been a problem this year as well that none of their drivers are happy with the car on a certain rally. If Hyundai hasn't fixed the problem then the title is Ogier's.

mknight
25th May 2018, 21:10
What will make it more interesting is the relative lack of pace for all Hyundais last year after Poland until Australia. It has been a problem this year as well that none of their drivers are happy with the car on a certain rally. If Hyundai hasn't fixed the problem then the title is Ogier's.

Yes, Finland was disaster last year in terms of pace. Spain wasn't much better.
UK was actually very good (better than Ford without DMACK). Still "writing off" 2 rallies is something you can't really afford in close title fight.

This is imo one of the reasons why so many people mention Tanak as favorite.

dimviii
25th May 2018, 21:13
too much talking about Hyundais weak rallies.
Ford ,Toyota havent got their weak rallies?

mknight
25th May 2018, 21:23
too much talking about Hyundais weak rallies.
Ford ,Toyota havent got their weak rallies?

Toyota has so far in terms of reliability (Mexico twice in a row), GB in terms of performance last year. But they have been "mediocre" on many rallies last year often because Latvala was out soon and then there was no driver that could be used as a reliable benchmark.

Ford kind of did not have a very bad rally performance-wise last year, maybe Australia?

With Hyundai last year it was these huge contrasts.... domination in Poland then nowhere in Finland.

dimviii
25th May 2018, 21:50
Ford kind of did not have a very bad rally performance-wise last year, maybe Australia?

so fiesta was not so good at Australia only? How did Ogier had only 2 stage wins more from Meeke and 5 stage wins less from Evans?

Tarmop
25th May 2018, 22:02
But they had podiums from each event and One should remember that it was his luck and consistency that brought him the title. All had a few better places grabbed by tech. issues also. Well, the last part also applies to others, but were more related to all cars, not one.

dimviii
25th May 2018, 22:06
But they had podiums from each event and One should remember that it was his luck and consistency that brought him the title. All had a few better places grabbed by tech. issues also. Well, the last part also applies to others, but were more related to all cars, not one.

that Ogier managed to capitilise at rallies with weak performance due to others mistakes,is a different story.
Fiesta had a lot of weak rallies in terms of performance.

AnttiL
25th May 2018, 22:13
Ogier's pace for me is not convincing.

With three wins out of six rallies?

mknight
25th May 2018, 22:16
that Ogier managed to capitilise at rallies with weak performance due to others mistakes,is a different story.
Fiesta had a lot of weak rallies in terms of performance.

Thing is even with "weak" performance Ogier was still 3-5 even without mistakes of others ( Argentina, Spain etc.). Also while Ogier did indeed have weak performance often, others with the same car often did well in same rally - Tanak in Poland before crash, Tanak again in Sardinia, Evans in Finland etc.

Nothing like Hyundai in Finland imo.

cali
25th May 2018, 22:20
With three wins out of six rallies?He's on a declining trend and out if these 3 wins one was in tarmac and the other was Monte where he has been unbeatable for years. Most of the rallies are in loose surface

Tarmop
25th May 2018, 22:24
He was doing quite ok before his latest and quite rare error. Sweden was a nightmare for the whole top three and Ogier took the worst hit. Argentina ended with another solid 4+ 4 PS points. Cars are more equal than in the VW days. Can`t say he is lacking pace or declining, not at all.

dimviii
25th May 2018, 22:27
Thing is even with "weak" performance Ogier was still 3-5 even without mistakes of others ( Argentina, Spain etc.). Also while Ogier did indeed have weak performance often, others with the same car often did well in same rally - Tanak in Poland before crash, Tanak again in Sardinia, Evans in Finland etc.

Nothing like Hyundai in Finland imo.

you like to play with words.
2 stage wins more than Meeke,5 less from Evans for champion Ogier
But ''nothing like Hyundai in Finland'' while Ogier was outperformed at half rallies of season.

AnttiL
25th May 2018, 22:36
Also while Ogier did indeed have weak performance often, others with the same car often did well in same rally - Tanak in Poland before crash, Tanak again in Sardinia, Evans in Finland etc.

Ogier was first on the road. In Poland he did have a spin of his own, but in Sardegna most of his time loss was due to a puncture. Finland it's hard to tell because Ogier only did three stages.

AnttiL
25th May 2018, 22:37
He's on a declining trend and out if these 3 wins one was in tarmac and the other was Monte where he has been unbeatable for years. Most of the rallies are in loose surface

I would consider Ogier a favourite for Sardegna, now that he's not first on the road.

mknight
25th May 2018, 22:39
Yes as usual he was first on the road most of the season. In a very closely matched field this had big effect on stagewins.

Also this was about Fiesta, not only Ogier, ref. what I wrote about Tanak and Evans often doing well when Ogier did not. (off course DMACK is factor)

AnttiL
25th May 2018, 22:46
Yes as usual he was first on the road most of the season. In a very closely matched field this had big effect on stagewins.

Also this was about Fiesta, not only Ogier, ref. what I wrote about Tanak and Evans often doing well when Ogier did not. (off course DMACK is factor)

Again, starting first on the road was a factor in the gravel events. In Deutschland Tänak had a bit of a gamble with tyre choice and succeeded. In Catalunya Ogier was faster than Tänak although he had to be first on the road on the first day of gravel stages. Also, in Australia Ogier had gear shift issues.

dimviii
25th May 2018, 22:50
Ogier was first on the road at polo days.He ended with 80+ to 90+ stage wins each year. Not with 22 stage wins as last year.

yes but we cant take as a reference Tanaks performance at last year at a particularly rally,for Ogier at 2018.
Ogier has to find performance at his weak rallies with fiesta at 2018.And his weak rallies is not only Australia,but plenty others.

mknight
25th May 2018, 22:57
Ogier was first on the road at polo days.He ended with 80+ to 90+ stage wins each year. Not with 22 stage wins as last year.

yes but we cant take as a reference Tanaks performance at last year at a particularly rally,for Ogier at 2018.
Ogier has to find performance at his weak rallies with fiesta at 2018.And his weak rallies is not only Australia,but plenty others.

The competition was much lower in Polo days, both in number of cars and teams, but there is no hiding he struggled last year. I still feel it wasn't (only) cars fault.

Anyway, which rallies do you think he needs to find performance at for the rest of the season? There aren't that many left.
Sardinia is quite hard to compare since he was cleaning last year on both days. Spain and Germany were ok, but if title fight gets close he would need to be top 3 yes.

dimviii
25th May 2018, 23:23
Anyway, which rallies do you think he needs to find performance at for the rest of the season? There aren't that many left.

generally he has to up his performance,or if you prefere he has to be faster from Neuville.
This year Neuville seems more mature at his way he controls rallies he cant win,and rallies he can win.
Another factor will be Tanaks placings against Ogier and Neuville,or wins he can 'steal'' from both of them.

AMSS
26th May 2018, 08:54
The competition was much lower in Polo days, both in number of cars and teams, but there is no hiding he struggled last year. I still feel it wasn't (only) cars fault.

Sardinia is quite hard to compare since he was cleaning last year on both days. Spain and Germany were ok, but if title fight gets close he would need to be top 3 yes.

Last years Finland wasn`t exactly strong results wise for Ogier..

EstWRC
12th June 2018, 19:59
with half the season now passed, it is sad to already say that the title for him this year is gone. of course, nothing is over until it is over and mathematically it is still possible but it is mission impossible.

i wanted to make this post already before Sardegna and one sentence what i wanted to write that time was "it is hard for him to catch Neuville but im worried about the car" and it seems i cursed him.

by my calculations he has lost about 55 points, add that to his current points and he would be right up there with Ogier points wise. but anyway, it is what it is and you cant take these things back.

Generally speaking im still quite surprised that the team and car change has gone so smooth. Its like he has been in the team forever. I really lowered my expectations before the season, i thought it is okay if he is struggling and he finishes like 5th or 6th in the first half of the season. But then came Monte and BANG, dude is on the pace right away and boy how happy i was :)

Anyway, i hope he gets many wins and podiums in the second half of the season. He should be very strong on the next upcoming two rallies.

AnttiL
12th June 2018, 20:15
He has had stage wins in almost every rally, the pace had been there from the start of the season. A positive surprise.

eib1
12th June 2018, 20:20
He has had stage wins in almost every rally, the pace had been there from the start of the season. A positive surprise.

not almost, he has stage wins from every rally

stefanvv
12th June 2018, 20:27
mathematically it is still possible

Mathematically any driver is potential champion. Of course mathematically Neuville is in the best position.

Gregor-y
12th June 2018, 20:40
Looking at the first post on this page I see this topic is over six years old. How many years in the WRC does a driver need before they win a championship? McRae's first full season was 92 and he won in 95, for example. Sainz was 87 to 90. A lot of other recent champions were 2-3 years.

Ogier disappeared like Charles DeGaulle for a few years before winning but that's still 2009 to 2013.

Franky
12th June 2018, 20:43
Times have changed

AnttiL
12th June 2018, 21:03
Kankkunen won on his first full season in 1986

Gregor-y
12th June 2018, 23:25
As did Gronholm in 2000. Makinen had the grace to wait a year but Finns really do throw the curve.

Auriol started appearing for more than half of WRC events in 89 and he took five years. 94 was the first year he ran a full schedule, though.

steve.mandzij
13th June 2018, 03:52
As did Gronholm in 2000. Makinen had the grace to wait a year but Finns really do throw the curve.

Auriol started appearing for more than half of WRC events in 89 and he took five years. 94 was the first year he ran a full schedule, though.Oh boy... Discounting skipped events due to injury withdrawals and the like, Latvala is on his tenth full season now, right?

ESTR
13th June 2018, 05:05
Oh boy... Discounting skipped events due to injury withdrawals and the like, Latvala is on his tenth full season now, right?

He was cought in Loeb/Ogier domination. At least one time he could be WDC if those two french fries wouldn't be around. Now he have a lot of bad luck and maybe he try too much, I don't know.

GravelBen
13th June 2018, 05:25
He was cought in Loeb/Ogier domination. At least one time he could be WDC if those two french fries wouldn't be around.

Similar to Hirvonen, so close to being a champion but he was up against Loeb.

EstWRC
13th June 2018, 07:05
Tänak has had more complicated career than some others.

Maybe you dont remember but he was dropped after 2012 and came back to the big league in 2015. I know that Tänak considers 2015 more as the beginning of his WRC career.

pantealex
13th June 2018, 09:49
You just can´t blame CAR for all those 55 points. Hard to which are totally lost because of car but those last 2points from Sardinia late-check 100% not.

Sso
13th June 2018, 14:13
You just can´t blame CAR for all those 55 points. Hard to which are totally lost because of car but those last 2points from Sardinia late-check 100% not.

Missed this one earlier, can someone give a short summary?

ESTR
13th June 2018, 14:25
Tänak has had more complicated career than some others.

Maybe you dont remember but he was dropped after 2012 and came back to the big league in 2015. I know that Tänak considers 2015 more as the beginning of his WRC career.

True but still think that Mikkelsen case after 2016 was more complicated. Ott was dropped because of bad drives. Mikkelsen because this germans who chickened out against real competition coming (and blame everything on money, here clearly they put millions into the rallycross and that stupid pikes peak record who by the way isn't good for anybody but their egos).

pantealex
13th June 2018, 14:57
Missed this one earlier, can someone give a short summary?

Post #156

EstWRC
13th June 2018, 17:55

i didnt say in that post its only because of the car. its a combination of the car and bad luck.

Mexico - definitely the car, Portugal - bad luck, Sardegna - bad luck/car/ and him, maybe he should have taken that jump with less speed ? who knows? maybe the car shouldnt break after the jump? who knows?

Those 2 points that he lost due their own fault in Sardegna is a piss in the ocean compared what he has lost due car/bad luck.

AnttiL
27th June 2018, 10:28
https://www.hs.fi/urheilu/art-2000005734178.html?ref=rss

Tänak interviewed in Finnish at the new Tallinn base of Toyota. Apparently the cars will be serviced there between rallies to reduce the distance to Europe, starting from this summer.

He doesn't say anything really sensational, he's still happy with his choice to switch to Toyota, being able to win the championship instead of being no2 to Ogier, but is not satisfied with his results this year.

Gregor-y
27th June 2018, 17:26
I guess it's right next to the boat, but so are Helsinki and Turku. Bravo for cross-border relations, then.

Tarmop
27th June 2018, 20:39
It`s also about taxes, bureaucracy etc.

pantealex
28th June 2018, 09:41
I guess it's right next to the boat, but so are Helsinki and Turku. Bravo for cross-border relations, then.

You don´t need a boat to get Tallinn, Estonia from "Europe", but to Finland you need. Saves them several days each time. Time is money.

Watson
28th June 2018, 14:32
You don´t need a boat to get Tallinn, Estonia from "Europe", but to Finland you need. Saves them several days each time. Time is money.

There's a bridge connecting Denmark and Sweden.

AnttiL
28th June 2018, 14:49

Driving from Jyväskylä to Sweden through Tornio takes probably more than the overnight ferry

Tarmop
28th June 2018, 14:51

And? First you have to get to Sweden...

Like said, taxes, laws (TM has mentioned he likes the sports car registration system for example), Tallinn University of Technology ( quite successful in Formula Student btw), MM-Motorsport, etc...

Watson
28th June 2018, 16:07
Yes yes yes but you don't need a boat as such.

Tarmop
28th June 2018, 17:37
Well yes, in addition you can also go through Russia.:D

Franky
28th June 2018, 17:53
And instead of flying to Australia, the entire WRC circus can go on a cruise ship.

Enough of this.

BleAivano
30th June 2018, 08:10

It saves them about 7-8 hours which is the driving time from Jyväskylä to Tallin (including ferry between Helsinki and Tallin).

pantealex
30th June 2018, 22:48
It saves them about 7-8 hours which is the driving time from Jyväskylä to Tallin (including ferry between Helsinki and Tallin).

In theory Yes, but in reality no.
-Those ferryes are not empty, pre booking needed. How will you know before which ferry is earliest you can catch?
-Truck drivers can drive 4,5H before mandatory break and between 2 days you must have 9h rest which you can´t spend in moving truck
-you have to be in harbour 1,5h before ferry leaves (rule is different for trucks)
etc.

Trust Me, I know (PanteAlex is transport company, we have Estonian customers)

EstWRC
1st July 2018, 00:34
Bringing back the topic to Tänak, yesterday there was this promotional event in Tallinn called Delfi Rally Day with Ott Tänak. Ott was doing some demo runs with Yaris WRC and the whole day there was a crosskart racing between different estonian rally and motorsport drivers. Lappi was also present and like expected, he and Ott were in the final, Tänak won.

Järveoja did very well too, he got up to semi-finals where he got beaten by Lappi.

http://lb.delfi.ee/attachment.php?eid=921712&id=922884&aid=922886&w=900
https://p.ocdn.ee/40/i/2018/6/30/3xzytnc3.nud.jpg
http://lb.delfi.ee/attachment.php?eid=921712&id=922286&aid=922288&w=900
http://lb.delfi.ee/attachment.php?eid=921712&id=921852&aid=921854&w=900
http://lb.delfi.ee/attachment.php?eid=921712&id=921824&aid=921822&w=900

EstWRC
21st September 2018, 13:47
Someone can put this here for me please ?

https://www.autosport.com/wrc/feature/8512/how-a-wrc-rebel-is-becoming-a-title-favourite

“We, err, we talked about what had happened," says Wilson, "and I might have used the f-word. Anyway, it all went quiet and I thought that was the end of it. But then Ott came back and told me to f-off”

Lol

Päss1928
21st September 2018, 16:05
Here you go.

Malcolm Wilson doesn't swear. At least not without significant provocation. Even then he rarely reaches for the hardercore profanities. Which is what makes this story even harder for him to tell.

The tale takes us back to a time when Ott Tanak was in his team. He can't remember the precise rally in question, it doesn't matter. Tanak, it seems, had chucked another Fiesta at another tree and Wilson had seen enough. The Estonian was invited into Wilson's on-event office to discuss the matter. It wasn't the first time. Not the first shunt. Not the first rollicking.

"We, err, we talked about what had happened," says Wilson, "and I might have used the f-word. Anyway, it all went quiet and I thought that was the end of it. But then Ott came back and told me to f-off.
"I was pretty surprised. He told me I'd asked him to push and I had to f'ing accept that this could happen.

"Fair play.

"I must admit, I came away with a bit more respect for him."
Before we continue, a brief aside for any future young driver finding themselves in Wilson's office under such circumstances: don't go in there thinking liberal use of the f-bomb will get you off. It won't. It'll get you fired.

Tanak was the exception. And so he remains.

He has gatecrashed what was lining up to be a two-way 2018 World Rally Championship title fight courtesy of his first ever WRC hat-trick of wins in Finland, Germany and, most recently, Turkey.
He's the first chap not called Sebastien to win three in a row since Mikko Hirvonen collected successive maximum scores in Greece, Poland, Finland and Australia. That was 2009, the same year Tanak made his WRC debut.

Portugal was his first event nine years ago and, I'll be honest, I don't remember it especially well. But I do remember his second event in Finland a couple of months later. Driving a Group N Subaru, he was battling with local young star Jarkko Nikara and then seasoned campaigner Patrik Flodin. These were the days when genuine showroom motors were lumped into the same class as the more advanced and quicker Super 2000 cars; Juho Hanninen was out front in the N4 category in a Skoda Fabia S2000.

In the pouring rain, Ogier picked Tanak up, put him on his shoulder and carried him back to his car

Tanak was being run by fellow Estonian and world rally star Markko Martin's team and that's the reason I remember the event. I bumped into Markko in the service park and he introduced me to Ott. Anybody who knows five-time world rally winner Martin knows that he doesn't throw compliments about comfortably or easily. And he didn't with Tanak. He asked me to have a look and see what I thought.

For his part, Ott said very little. He got in the car and drove. And drove very, very quickly. He'd done plenty in Estonia in the preceding years (but only a single season in a four-wheel-drive car), but nothing in Finland. Regardless of where you sit on the entry list, first-timers in Jyvaskyla are not expected to do what he did. He passed Nikara and Flodin and, after the second shot at Jukojarvi, he was the first of the conventional Group N runners - and five seconds up on Kimi Raikkonen's Abarth Grande Punto. Then he crashed.
The next time we saw him was at the Pirelli Star Driver shootout in Freistadt, Austria. This was the big one. If he could impress the judges, he would land a six-round WRC programme in a Mitsubishi Lancer, courtesy of the Italian tyre giant's single-tyre-supplier deal in the 2010 series.

Pirelli Star Driver took talent from across the FIA's regions, with a certain Hayden Paddon representing Asia Pacific. The Kiwi star was the only one who could hold a candle to Tanak. Through much of 2010, the best of the rest would compete among themselves, discounting the charging Estonian's pace; his future was assured, even at that level. And that future was assured by Wilson's M-Sport squad.

There must have been times, however, when Wilson considered a revolving door at the entrance to Dovenby Hall. A strong maiden SWRC campaign in 2011 meant Tanak was in the factory M-Sport team for '12. But at the end of it, he was out.

Back in a Group N Subaru in Estonia in 2013, he returned to a limited WRC effort with DMACK in '14. Wilson was convinced again and Ott was back in the big-time in '15. Only to be dropped again after another troubled year.

Throughout that rollercoaster ride and despite what he says, Wilson never really lost the faith. Martin definitely didn't. And nor did Dick Cormack at DMACK.

When Tanak made his third reappearance with M-Sport's main team alongside Sebastien Ogier in 2017, he was well aware he'd entered the last-chance saloon.

Aged 29 and now a father, Tanak had evolved, matured and developed superbly as a person and a driver.
After coming within an ace of winning Poland twice in successive seasons, nobody could or would ever doubt his searing speed. The second time he missed the win in Mikolajki, the world saw a different side to Tanak. Utterly bereft after a tyre was knocked off the rim, dropping him to second, the normally impassive, detached driver struggled for words through the final stage interview. He headed away quietly, stepped out of the car and into the arms of his wife Janika.
Ogier was the first to get to him. The champion wasn't going to allow Tanak to hide away from what had been a towering three days through staggeringly fast roads. In the pouring rain, he picked him up, put him on his shoulder and carried him back to his car. It remains one of rallying's most emotional moments and it told the world two things: the first was confirmation that Ogier is a bloody good bloke and second, that he rated Tanak as a real, genuine and honest rival.

Through the next year, Ogier and Tanak became close and their friendship is now among the strongest in the service park.

Last year, both in 2017-spec Fiestas, Ogier simply couldn't ignore what his team-mate was doing in equal machinery (admittedly from a preferable place on the road some of the time) and nobody was surprised when Estonia's first WRC success since Martin's Catalunya win in 2004 was delivered in Sardinia.

Win number two was a little bit more surprising: the asphalt of Germany had never seemed a natural fit for somebody with Tanak's flair for gravel.
And then came the big decision at the end of 2017. Should he go? Should he leave everything he'd ever known: the highs, the lows, the life at M-Sport? Toyota Gazoo Racing beckoned and he answered the call of the manufacturer.

I've been fortunate enough to see greats including the likes of Colin McRae, Carlos Sainz, Marcus Gronholm, Mikko Hirvonen and Jari-Matti Latvala come and go from Dovenby (admittedly, none as many times as Tanak...) and the tears and sense of loss were as real for Ott as they were for any of the others. Through triumph, trial and tribulation, he'd become part of the furniture.
But Toyota made sense. For him it was the next chapter. Now, without Wilson, without DMACK and with Martin much more a mate than mentor, it was time for him to step out on his own.

And he's done it magnificently.

Admittedly, life's not the bed of roses it might look like from the outside, but Tanak's pulling the Toyota around to his way of thinking.

One of M-Sport's strengths has always been its ability to react to a problem and fix it very, very quickly. At times you've felt that Tanak has had to convince Toyota there's a problem in the first place.

Undoubtedly, there's still improvement to come with the chassis, but there's clearly a process to go through to get to the stage where the work can be done. Tanak doesn't really have the patience for that.

And he's in a different position to his team-mates, one of whom - Latvala - doesn't want to shout too loudly as he's well aware there aren't too many seats open to him and the other - Esapekka Lappi - is still in his first full season in a factory World Rally car.

For those reasons, Tanak's might have been something of a lone voice at times.

That said, he has Tommi Makinen's full backing. Talking to the four-time champion about Ott, you definitely get the feeling that Makinen sees a bit of himself in his lead driver.
It's not hard to see why. There's the hard-charging approach on the stages and a hard-edged approach to getting things done off of them.

And Turkey showed Tanak shares his boss's ability to come through and win when the chips are down.

In Finland and Germany, the car was a peach. In Turkey, it was a pig.

That he had the mental approach to still win in Marmaris brought final confirmation that he is a changed man. And a very serious contender in the race for this year's title.

The past three rallies have plated a perfect-looking omelette. Time to forget the eggs broken along the way and enjoy what's coming from Tanak.

And definitely time to stop swearing at Mr Wilson.

EstWRC
21st September 2018, 16:16
thanks thanks thanks a lot mate!

Timmy
21st September 2018, 16:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjo-c8fwLZw

Video for the Ogier story mentioned in the article for anyone interested.

KiwiWRCfan
22nd September 2018, 03:08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjo-c8fwLZw

Video for the Ogier story mentioned in the article for anyone interested.

Video of Ott Tanak consoling Craig Breen in Turkey (at 22 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0im4gA1sO0

AnttiL
22nd September 2018, 12:12
Tänak also used his fire extinguisher on Breen’s car, jeopardizing his own rally at the same time.

Also remember Tänak bringing Ogier’s time card or stopping for a handshake

A guy with a big heart.

EstWRC
18th November 2018, 02:35
Great year nevertheless from Ott and Martin. Didn’t actually think that they would fight for the title with the Toyota on first year. Still quite a learning to do to become a champion, imo he has to become more patient.

I remember I promised to my GF after sardegna that he will win all the remaining rallies.

Well, almost kept my promise.

Thank you for the great year.

Gregor-y
18th November 2018, 03:26
Future champion for another year.

racerx1979
18th November 2018, 04:41
2019 will be a good year for Ott. The Yota will come back stronger than ever.

AL14
18th November 2018, 11:04
Great achievement this year for Ott. Don't forget that it was the first year with a different car and he won several rallies and showed he can be the fastest, by far sometimes.

With Seb out there you will always need something more than normal to win the title. Look at this year's results from Ott: or he took 25 points or he took almost nothing. Toyota should be more reliable but he himself should learn how to arrive P3-P4-P5 and take points in the pocket. Bring on 2019!

AndyRAC
18th November 2018, 11:18
At this moment in time, the Tanak/ Toyota combo are the favourites for next year; and have to hit the ground running to start their campaign successfully. No playing 'catch up' like this year. He's been the quickest driver for most of the last 2 seasons, so Toyota need to sort out the little niggles that have cost points. I'm pretty confident Ott can get the job done.

Barreis
18th November 2018, 12:39
he really has the potential for a crown in the future

gorganl2000
18th November 2018, 13:17
i think he has all the ingredients to be a multiple future champion. I'm very proud of the way he has transformed his driving over the last few seasons. He is now ready to take on any and everyone on any rally, and i think he still has some fine tuning to do with himself/patience and rally strategy which will make him even better if he does. Tanak has to learn that he can't win every rally and those that he can't win, he needs to get maximum points, this is part of having a champion mindset.

EstWRC
18th November 2018, 19:36
http://i64.tinypic.com/2gvvx38.jpg

Simmi
18th November 2018, 20:03
I'd guess Tanak will be the bookies favourite heading into next season. His pace has been frightening this year.

macebig
18th November 2018, 20:09
Toyota only has to make the Yaris more durable and a bit more reliable during the winter. Unless they majorly screw up, both championships should be theirs next year.

Mirek
18th November 2018, 20:11
Toyota only has to make the Yaris more durable and a bit more reliable during the winter. Unless they majorly screw up, both championships should be theirs next year.

You think the others sleep during the winter like bears? ;)

macebig
18th November 2018, 21:12
Ford will be composed by young drivers, so unless one of them has a break out season, they will not be in contention for any championship. I doubt that even Ogier can mount a year long championship challenge in the C3. And Hyundai seems to find more and ways of shooting themselves on the foot.

mknight
18th November 2018, 23:07

Neuville and Hyundai were seemingly in this position 12 months ago.

As Tanak said himself you can never rely on having a chance next year. Things can chance a lot.

I hope the cars next year as even as possible, cause I really fear another one-manu domination. Realistically Citroen should be up there and comparable to Toyota. Hyundai very unlikely on all surfaces but on rough gravel they should still be up as well.

Agree with you about Ford, though we still dunno the drivers.

EstWRC
5th December 2018, 19:11
Interview with Ott https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/video/interview-with-ott-tanak/378038/

EstWRC
18th December 2018, 15:01
Ott and Martin talking about their first season at Toyota https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F2quHG4Bi8&t=

Kalm
18th December 2018, 15:17
Santa-Ott

EstWRC
20th December 2018, 18:33
There’s a documentary movie about Ott coming out In spring

Here is the first trailer https://www.facebook.com/140583742707370/posts/1929794477119612/

able1
20th December 2018, 19:02
Estonian do like their rally drivers. And cant blame them Tanak has been magnificent.

cali
20th December 2018, 20:46
Estonian do like their rally drivers. And cant blame them Tanak has been magnificent.Before when he was not so successful they called him Ditch-Ott (Kraavi Ott). Now they love him. Suddenly with success he is one of the nations biggest and brightest star. Quite typical.
Real fans have always kept the faith in him.

But rallying news are nowadays everywhere you look at. It's quite huge in here at the moment, maybe even bigger than in Märtin days.

Franky
20th December 2018, 20:52
But rallying news are nowadays everywhere you look at. It's quite huge in here at the moment, maybe even bigger than in Märtin days.

Because the online media was in it's infancy then

EstWRC
19th February 2019, 06:58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z5mwq1NwDY

second trailer of Tänak movie if anyone is interested

Fast Eddie WRC
19th February 2019, 13:22
Still early days in 2019 but he's already hit the top spot.

The way he's been performing since mid-2018 it's looking like only car failures can stop him this year. And I'm sure Toyota will have addressed the previous issues so that's unlikely.

bandit12
19th February 2019, 13:57
Well. season just started. He is looking fast as always, but it's still too early to crown somebody.

rhm
19th February 2019, 14:22
His confidence is very high at the minute, to win the PowerStage in Sweden was mighty impressive too. He's got to be favourite this year coming off the back of last year and his start to this season.

BigWorm
19th February 2019, 16:28
Though it's not been a long time since Turkey, it feels somewhat strange that this was his first victory since then. Such has been the dominance out on the stages which has gone unrewarded.

Will be interesting to see what he can achieve from first on the road in Mexico.

Fast Eddie WRC
19th February 2019, 16:46
As I said, he was fastest since mid-2018 but mostly denied wins by car faults.

However it might be argued some of these may have been caused by his driving lines (not avoiding rocks etc).

We'll see as the year goes on if this changes and he becomes more points-orientated like Ogier.

mknight
19th February 2019, 17:46
I think he partly showed that in Sweden already. After Suninen dropped he slowed down and kept it safe. Something he seemingly never did last year even with big lead.
Similar progress like Neuville from 2017 to 2018.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th February 2019, 11:25
He still blitzed the PS in Sweden which may be risky if he does the same on other events...

gorganl2000
20th February 2019, 14:39
i'm not sure i'd say he was taking unnecessary risks in the PS or throughout the Swedish rally..it just flowed for him. I think sometimes these drivers get into "the rhythm" as they put it and become one with the car they drive ---like Ogier/polo, Tanak/Yaris, Neuville/i20, Loeb/Xsara/DS3, Marcus/Focus, Tommi/evo, etc. When they reach that level, they can be close to or on the limit without really going over it, they make it look easy what they do and are in full control on certain rallies.

Each rally will have to be taken on its own merit, but if these drivers feel confident, then they will try to maximize their points while they can, as there will always be those rallies where negative things will happen (driver errors, car breaking, flats,etc.), some of which will be out of their control.

spiderem
20th February 2019, 20:59
As mentioned above, it will be interesting to see how he deals with being first on the road as it will be the first time? Not sure he has the patience yet, what comes to mind is sweden last year when he bumped into meeke, which to me looked like a frustrated / upset side of Tanak.

trykmann
20th February 2019, 21:07
As mentioned above, it will be interesting to see how he deals with being first on the road as it will be the first time? Not sure he has the patience yet, what comes to mind is sweden last year when he bumped into meeke, which to me looked like a frustrated / upset side of Tanak.

I think Turkey showed his ability to be patient.

dimviii
22nd February 2019, 17:58
i like this photo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0BLufTWsAYTeqY.jpg

Colin about Ott
https://www.facebook.com/296678697161467/posts/1123154271180568/

stefanvv
22nd February 2019, 22:31
Tanak's time has come. I agree with Clark. No matter how good Ogier is, he can't do it this time.

mknight
22nd February 2019, 22:54
It's fun to make predictions. But in rally, things can change really fast.

Last year after Mexico and Corsica, Ogier seemed unbeatable. Just 4 months later after Turkey, he looked least likely of the 3 to win the title.

Tänak is undoubtedly the biggest favourite atm, but still I would not bet any big money on him.

stefanvv
23rd February 2019, 00:01
It's not prediction.

EstWRC
23rd February 2019, 09:34
its too early to make any kind of predictions, we have just had only 2 rallies.

Last year there were same kind of predictions after he won argentina, and we all know how it went after that with basically 2 zero points rallies.

Barreis
23rd February 2019, 10:45
i like this photo

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0BLufTWsAYTeqY.jpg

Colin about Ott
https://www.facebook.com/296678697161467/posts/1123154271180568/

It's only one Colin. McRae. Next time add Clark :D

Marcco
25th February 2019, 12:35
i'm not sure i'd say he was taking unnecessary risks in the PS or throughout the Swedish rally..it just flowed for him. I think sometimes these drivers get into "the rhythm" as they put it and become one with the car they drive ---like Ogier/polo, Tanak/Yaris, Neuville/i20, Loeb/Xsara/DS3, Marcus/Focus, Tommi/evo, etc. When they reach that level, they can be close to or on the limit without really going over it, they make it look easy what they do and are in full control on certain rallies.

Each rally will have to be taken on its own merit, but if these drivers feel confident, then they will try to maximize their points while they can, as there will always be those rallies where negative things will happen (driver errors, car breaking, flats,etc.), some of which will be out of their control.

Very well said! I, as a driver, can confirm, that when you are "in the zone" - you perform at your best without taking big risks, because you are fully concentrated. And actually it's vise versa if you try to slow down, your concentration drops and then mistakes happen.

EstWRC
14th March 2019, 22:28
where it all started, already back then wearing racing overalls :p

https://scontent.fhen1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/53695309_567867827030771_1589211541029257216_o.jpg ?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fhen1-1.fna&oh=29ef10ab0a0bed3b384c36f8685df1da&oe=5D1672E6

source https://www.facebook.com/otttanakmovie/photos/a.521484988335722/567867823697438/?type=3&theater

EstWRC
5th April 2019, 07:49
third and final trailer, less than a week left, cant wait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LLbOU4lkl4

there was an interview with the film makers on our rally podcast show this week

- the movie will be 2 hours and 16 minutes long
- 5 hours of material was left out
- all the people are saying Markko doesnt speak much but the interview with Markko alone is 2 and half hours
- they followed him basically everywhere, travelled for 160-170 days
- the most surprising for them was how much work the drivers really do before and after the rally

USER47
7th April 2019, 16:42
The cows footage was spliced in the trailer in a somewhat deceiving way, because that's actually from Ogier's onboard from 2016:).

Tarmop
7th April 2019, 17:55
That`s how trailers look like, Ogier and others probably have their part in the movie also.

USER47
7th April 2019, 19:32
Yeah, I assume in the movie it will have a correct context, but the trailer puts the footage together in a weird way suggesting it way Ott who skillfully dodged the cows.

Frankly, the idea of the Tanak focused movie seems to me a bit weird at this stage of his career.

Tarmop
7th April 2019, 20:26
Well, money is money.

N.O.T
7th April 2019, 20:56
Yeah, I assume in the movie it will have a correct context, but the trailer puts the footage together in a weird way suggesting it way Ott who skillfully dodged the cows.

Frankly, the idea of the Tanak focused movie seems to me a bit weird at this stage of his career.

estonia is a ~1 million country... how many countries with 1 million you know that have an athlete with a realistic chance at a world title ?

its normal to be big deal to them.

Indreq
7th April 2019, 22:05
estonia is a ~1 million country... how many countries with 1 million you know that have an athlete with a realistic chance at a world title ?

its normal to be big deal to them.

I am estonian and TBH i was also surprised when i heard about this movie. Perhaps few years too early... After 1st title maybe. Or at the end of career. But i will go and see it anyway. BTW - we have few more world class athletes who occasionally challenge some titles. Some in athletics, also in fencing, in other motor sports (speedboad racing), one in weightlifting etc.

Oliverk
8th April 2019, 06:20
But think about last season. It would have been a miracle like ending to the movie if Ott had won the championship. So in that sense it was perfect timing for filming.

flykas
8th April 2019, 09:16
But think about last season. It would have been a miracle like ending to the movie if Ott had won the championship. So in that sense it was perfect timing for filming.

Yeah, I think that might be the reason why last year Ott was saying that we might never have a chance like that again.

EstWRC
17th April 2019, 07:04
so, since its so quiet in this forum i thought ill write a little review about the movie.

It was a good one, not saying its the best, very good or something like that but a good one. Since ive been following him so closely there wasnt much new to me. A lot of emotions of course, but also very very good jokes which got the whole audience laughing. A lot of reviews are sayin its too long but for me it was actually half an hour too short. I like how they have edited it, basically it shows his 2018 season mixed with how he started and how he reached the top etc. Not this typical build up with starting with his childhood and then on etc. The best parts for me were Latvala and Ott's grandmother. She follows every rally, even the oversea ones, writes down the times and she knew on what tyres everyone was on and her comments were so funny.

Of course some old wounds were also torn off, like Poland 2016 and Wales 2018. Especially Wales 2018 was very hard to watch again for me, although Martin says in the movie that for him Spain was the hardest one.

Im definitely going to watch it again in a few weeks and I recommend it to everyone here if it goes available outside Estonia some time. i know they are working on it.

heres a interview with David Evans from last week before the movie https://www.facebook.com/AUTOSPORT/videos/2011868972448501/UzpfSTUwOTI2MDY1OTU1ODE1NTo1ODQzNzI1Mjg3MTM2MzQ/

Indreq
17th April 2019, 22:11
Ok let me add my thoughts also on film, if only to torment those who cant (yet) see it themselves.

1. You MUST see it in cinema or at least from bigscreen tv with good audio system. It adds a lot to the experience when you feel those cars rumble past, not just hear from some mediocre laptop speaker. My biggest wow-moment was first seconds of the film.
2. Editors really didnt make some bland documentary, they have really tried to build suspense. They have mostly succeeded, especially considering the topic and hero (and material possible to be harvested from them). I would say this film is 4/5 stars in my scale. And i dont give 5/5 often, so 4/5 is good, really good.
3. It feels that makers probably had material for 10 part documentary series. Knowing Ott from around 2004, i know that few interesting themes were cut out entirely. Especially his early career prior to 2012, it was barely touched but there was lot of drama already in these years.
4. At around 1/3 of running time i felt that film was dragging a bit. But not much.
5. Maybe 5 minutes too much was dedicated on his early-years difficult persona and attitude. It became repetitive.
6. Rally itself was somewhat in the background. It would benefit if the viewer knew how WRC 2018 season turned out, you wouldnt learn much from the film. Ignorant viewer could benefit from completely different cut with more emphasis of 2018 rallies, showing little bit more of competitors, also early stages, building suspense, and then reaching the podium or wherever the rally ended for Ott. It felt like some rallies had less than minute dedicated to them. Maybe bit more in real time, but felt like too little time...
7. As the material is there, i would really like to see more extras, parts that didnt fit into film, maybe some 4 hour cut (split in two parts perhaps - early years and 2018 season) - i know it would be really cool for true fan.

Overall - its good film. It would be nice to hear others thoughts too.

Fast Eddie WRC
20th April 2019, 16:57
Autosport
Ott Tanak says he is conscious of avoiding taking "unnecessary risks" in #WRC title fight, following 2018 lessons and Corsica setback:

https://t.co/ZfvsbjTKpH

EstWRC
25th April 2019, 16:09
Tänak about his future https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/142934/tanak-to-start-2020-wrc-negotiations-soon

EstWRC
1st May 2019, 09:57
Anyone want to share? Although I guess it will be on autosport later on

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5d1M8VXoAAIBkS?format=jpg&name=small

BigWorm
1st May 2019, 10:18
If Toyota doesn't sort out their reliability problems, why not. Elfyn has proven the pace of the Fiesta is still right up there.

Fast Eddie WRC
1st May 2019, 10:56
Now on Autosport: https://www.autosport.com/wrc/news/143094/msport-aims-to-poach-tanak-from-toyota-for-2020

AL14
1st May 2019, 11:16
I think Tanak will stay but this will allow him to put pressure on Toyota for a more reliable car and a better salary I guess.

dimviii
1st May 2019, 11:29
I think Tanak will stay but this will allow him to put pressure on Toyota for a more reliable car and a better salary I guess.

yes but the car have to solve some problems to become champion.

er88
1st May 2019, 13:03
Edit - deleted

Simmi
1st May 2019, 14:15

Same thoughts for me. Is Malcolm taking a cut of Ott's future earnings still? Or was that ever the case? Does sound like he's doing a great job of driving up Ott's asking price.