PDA

View Full Version : What was H.O.T and what was N.O.T in 2011

N.O.T
15th November 2011, 01:53
another year is in the books...so what did you enjoy and what you disliked about this year in the WRC and rallying in General.

H.O.T

1. The new cars did not dissapoint me although i had big doubts.
2. Loebs Legendary Record
3. Ogiers performance
4. Tanak
5. the Power stage format/live coverage
6. Paddon
7. Latvalas pace and attitude towards the sport
8. Loebs 2 year contract
9. the VW announcement
10. The suprising pace of the mini on tarmac
11. Ogiers and Latvalas fight in Jordan

N.O.T

1. Hirvonens performance
2. Latvalas inconsistency
3. The citroen/loeb/Ogier soap opera
4. Solbergs lack of pace towards the end of the season
5. Raikonen
6. Wilsons retarded tactics in the last 4 events slowing down the fastest driver
7. the 5 year disgrace patience
8. M-Sport management
9. the WRC academy survival championship
10. The new cars lack of torque

Overal i would say it was a good season with some good moments and great fights...the new cars brought new excitement and interest....on the scale of 1 to 10 i would give the championship a 7.84623...

pettersolberg29
15th November 2011, 02:05
Top marks for thread title!

I think one of the best things to come out of this year was the realisation that there is a good number of extremely talented youngsters who have incredible potential. Abbring, Mikkelsen, Neuville and Tanak have all shown signs of excellent ability and I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 3 of those to retire with at least one WRC title. I think the fact that the WRC now has 4/5 top, top class drivers who can challenge on every event has made this year really exciting. Yes Loeb has been the best, but JML and Ogier have more than matched him on occasion, and Petter has shown excellent pace on and off. Mikko, despite a terrible year, was also near to winning the title so overall a good battle in that top 5. Obviously the Mini and VW news has also been great for the sport, and all that's needed now is confirmation of Ford for 2012 and beyond.

Negatives? The fact that Mikko and Kopecky almost won the WRC and IRC title respectively despite not being the fastest driver - maybe the points sytem needs looking at again? Also the consistent use of blatant team tactics. Fair enough if JML and Mikko were within 10s, swap them round. But for JML to drop 30, 40, 50s just to give Mikko a few points was disappointing to see. Finally seeing VW testing drivers was good, but I feel their choices were baffling at times. Mikkelsen and Hanninen should have got many chances, while Lindroos, Riedeman etc were wastes of a seat.

Overall I'd give the year a 7.84624

Plan9
15th November 2011, 03:48
Mini will be hot, as will VW. I am so sick of Citroen and Ford.

tfp
15th November 2011, 11:13
What was hot? Ogier finally ending loebs ridiculous reign in germany. What was not? Rally sweden, that was not hot, it actually looked rather cold if you ask me....

AndyRAC
15th November 2011, 11:49
What was hot? Ogier finally ending loebs ridiculous reign in germany. What was not? Rally sweden, that was not hot, it actually looked rather cold if you ask me....

A puncture ended his reign.....

ShiftingGears
15th November 2011, 11:57
Sweden was excellent. I suspect Ford gave less indirect support to Ostberg as the season went on, because that podium was amazing. The new cars have been quite good. Enjoyed the arrival of Mini also.

focus206
15th November 2011, 12:13
Great title :D

H.O.T

- the new cars, I thought they were going to be slower
- Power stages and Rally Alsace live coverage (and Monte coverage if we talk about IRC also)
- the Fiesta's pace, quite near the DS3, but still...
- Mini BMW
- Latvala's pace
- Ogier's pace
- Hanninen
- new young guns: Ostberg, Tanak, Paddon, Breen, Neuville, Mikkelsen and possibly Kaur, Abbring and Weijs Jr
- Kuipers: quite fast for a gentleman driver, isn't it?

N.O.T

- the Fiesta reliability, at least in the first half of the season
- Hirvonen's pace :(
- Latvala's inconsistency
- Ogier's inconsistency (but I'll excuse him)
- Meeke, I expected him to be nearer to Sordo, but maybe I was expecting too much
- Novikov, except the last 2 rallies, was slow and did a lot of crashes
- Oliveira, the slowest rally driver I ever seen so far
- Wilks

tfp
15th November 2011, 13:33
A puncture ended his reign.....

Certainly did, its a long way from the top:-)

Thanks to the ugsquirrel for reminding me about ostberg, he was a hot topic this year!

ridder
15th November 2011, 14:57
Good:
- new wrc cars
- power stage
- Mikkelsen, Neuville, Tanak
- VW

Bad:

- road cleaning and related tactics (even worse was Ogier denying them)

- still quite bad coverage for 2011 (only France live, onboards at other vids on WRC page first in the evening etc), powerstages sometimes had issues as well. Could add maps with splits+gps tracking on the web pages (dakar does that)

- how fast the gap between factory and client cars widened (i.e. Solbergs, Østbergs and even PGs pace in the start of the season vs later on)

- pace of the new Mini (don't remember any car in last 10 years which wasn't top 3 fast out of the box and started to win later)

rp
15th November 2011, 15:24
Good:
- pace of the new Mini (don't remember any car in last 10 years which wasn't top 3 fast out of the box and started to win later)

How about the Suzuki SX4 WRC and the latest World Rally Cars of Subaru, Mitsubishi, Peugeot, Skoda and Hyundai...

mousti
15th November 2011, 15:41
SX4 Huge fail. Focus and 206 had very good debuts. Skoda and Hyundai also a fail. But about the Focus u can say they were always in rallying from Mini-BMW it's really out of the box although Prodrive had the Subaru program 2 years ago still.

Juha_Koo
15th November 2011, 17:03
2011 WRC

HOT:
Hänninen winning SWRC
New cars proved to be both spectacular and fast
Mini's tarmac pace
Citroen's internal tensions, racing not only in stages, some politics involved
Latvala's speed - especially on tarmac
Paddon winning PWRC
Many nice fights in many rallies
Polo R WRC

NOT
Jordan logistical problems
Mikko's lack of speed
Rally Argentina roadbook page 55
Rally Argentina magic rock (moving all by itself to the middle of the road)
Citroen's actions towards Petter
To some extent Rally Finland's route, nice in some aspects but proved to be little too much, time running out on very long liasion sections (from spectator's point of view)
The clear slowing of customer cars after rally Sweden

bluuford
15th November 2011, 17:58
Hot:
New tracking service by NOKIA :-)

Juha_Koo
15th November 2011, 18:15
Hot:
New tracking service by NOKIA :-)

Ah, true, forgot that one!

I wish they could release as a web-version too... Proved to be totally incredible during NORF, my cousin had it on his Nokia, splits were updating extremely fast and the tracking map was also excellent, it brought a totally new aspect to the rally while watching it live. On SS8, two minutes had passed and no sign of Ketomaa. Then looking the map, he was stopped. Thanks to very extensive data networks in Finland, it worked like a dream all the way through the rally. Like a small rally studio in the middle of the forest, accompanied by YLE's rally radio. :up:

Hartusvuori
15th November 2011, 19:00
After quite a few lists already things starts get repeated, but here's my list anyway:

H.O.T.
- VW Polo R WRC - very good to have a serious contender coming into the mix
- Latvala's pace and all the time improving reliabilty. Had it not been for the unfortunate middle third of the season he would've achieved something he would've deserved.
- The next generation finally coming to prove themselves with actual results: Mikkelsen's IRC title, Neuville's two victories in classic rallies and of course Tänak attack! And there is more to come!
- New WRC cars bringing in more interest.
- Hänninen's SWRC title
- Mini's tarmac pace especially in France - hopefully we'll see more in the future
- Joonas Lindroos' getting the VW Fabia seat for Finland. Unfortunately it didn't work out at all.
- Many tights rallies in WRC and IRC.
- IRC Zlín was literally HOT! Nothing beats the atmosphere at "autobusak"!
- Meeting new friendly fans at stages.
- And not to forget this forum and its members - it's informative, active - and annoying - almost like it would be real.

N.O.T.
- Tactics and team orders, too much of them. Whole Hirvonen for the championship was so fundamentally paradoxal that it didn't stop amazing and amusing me, though of course I understood the point. Also, Latvala and Ogier falling to play with tactics in Finland, and Loeb bite them back and won. After that I've appreciated Loeb far more (as opposed to before when Loeb "just was" for me).
- 0,2 seconds in Jordan.
- Overall shadow of doubt for the future of sport that keeps hanging around. Of course it's little the teams (and manufactures) can do in this current economical climate, but I want more. Also it must said that WRC's current media exposure isn't at 2011 standards. At least they should put some power on their website, give us more live picture, tracking systems, etc. Though WRR I like!

There must be more hots and nots, but I can't squeeze out anything more at the moment.

Rallyper
15th November 2011, 19:22
HOT:
This topic (credits to you N.O.T. - I might put you off the ignore list soon)
NORF
NORF
NORF
WRC is slowly coming back as a worthy world motorsport serie.
VW in
The new fast youngsters
Live powerstages

N.O.T:
Some tourist drivers
Starting system and tactics

Gregor-y
15th November 2011, 19:44
H.O.T.
1 - IRC's live coverage of Monte Carlo. I had to watch the cached versions on EuroSport's website, but what a great nine or so hours of broadcasting!
2 - Closest season in a long time; if it takes infighting and team orders to happen I don't think that's a bad thing. Rally's about strategy as well as driving.
3 - MINI. After Prodrive's struggles with the Impreza I didn't have much hope for the Countryman to be any better than Suzuki's foray into the WRC.
3.5 - Sordo's pace with the MINI.
4 - All the attention VW is getting with their plans to enter the WRC. Along with MINI it would be nice to see more competitive makers.
5 - iRally's coverage at WRC and IRC events. Consistent coverage, good previews and I can listen at work the headphones on.
6 - Driver swap rumors. Like wife swapping minus the 'eew' fator.
N.O.T.
1 - Monte Carlo moving back to the WRC. Next year we get a daylight schedule with one or two runs after sundown. At least one is over Turini.
2 - Having an expired passport and not enough time to leave the country to attend an event. And only two local events within 500 miles to drive to.
3 - Complaints about Matt Wilson. They're years old and not clever enough to be worth repeating (other than that one about M Sport's new Finnish talent Matti Vilsainamoinen).
4 - Some flame-baiting by the eponymous poster. All in fun, I guess.

N.O.T
15th November 2011, 20:11
[quote="Gregor-y"]H.O.T.

2 - Closest season in a long time; if it takes infighting and team orders to happen I don't think that's a bad thing. Rally's about strategy as well as driving.
[quote]

you were not around in 2009 were you ???

N.O.T
15th November 2011, 20:12
HOT:
This topic (credits to you N.O.T. - I might put you off the ignore list soon)

do not please...

Rallyper
15th November 2011, 20:23
Of course not. My mistake.

CyborgVR4
15th November 2011, 20:54
Can agree with most already posted, but one to add:

NOT;
WRC.com Videos, maybe the content is OK, I don't know, because they simply will not play for me.

Juha_Koo
15th November 2011, 21:13
One to add.

NOT
-Some lower-quality discussions and needless bashing here during the season. We don't need sick dogs or nationalist BS here.

tfp
15th November 2011, 21:28
Of course not. My mistake.

:D Haha! :rotflmao:

Can agree with most already posted, but one to add:

NOT;
WRC.com Videos, maybe the content is OK, I don't know, because they simply will not play for me.

Alas! I thought it was just me who they diddnt work for!! Another one to go on my dirt list.

HOT-

Power stages! Best idea in years.
Ogier for refusing to kneel before his supposed master(several times)
Hirvonen - (Hear me out!) He bounced back from a god awful year 2010
JML and fiesta wrc for being competitive on tarmac
Jordan - They would kill for close competition like that in F1
Henning for his podium
Mini and sordo
King carlos and VW

NOT-

Petters performance - His car was blatantly different and slower than the manufacturers, but there were lots of mistakes aswel
Hirvonen for his clumsiness in NORF
Alsace, or Deutscheland, one or the other, not both
WRC.com for being rubbish
Kris meeke - I was hoping for better

tfp
15th November 2011, 21:30
:!: NOT!

Niel cole, what hapenned to him??

JRodrigues
15th November 2011, 21:56
N . O . T .
1. N . O . T .

N.O.T
15th November 2011, 22:06
N . O . T .
1. N . O . T .

it is a great honor for someone to consider me part of the WRC.....

not the smartest of your class were you ???

Barreis
15th November 2011, 22:24
HOT:
1.6turbo
smaller cars
power stage
live stream
loeb champ
ogier's performance
sordo and mini on podium
vw in business
MC is back

NOT:
ford
m-sport
novikov
hardly must say: p.solberg
gentlemen drivers
sport doesn't have publicity
hirvonen
meeke
corsica is missing
ogier to ford rumours-guy must be crazy and without brain

dimviii
15th November 2011, 22:55
HOT

1,6 Wrc cars fast out of box
Loeb show who is the master even without Ogiers help at last crucial rallies.
power stage
Vw and Mini at wrc
Latvala at second half.Till now seems to be the strongest hope to stop Loeb
Tanak/Mikkelsen/Neuville sure with wrc future.Incredible progress in any surface.
IRC rallies with fight till the end km.
Skoda choice of drivers for IRC.

NOT

Malcolm-Fords management at rallies,not at all at Citroens level.
Quesnel.You have to try to wait at last rally to see if you ll loose the championship,with best car/team/drivers
tactics from both teams.Ford specially at last rallies ridiculed the sport.
Ogiers behaviour to a 7 time world champion.Fortunately there is justice as he said.Hope his attitude to don t destroy his career.
Mikkos speed(what?)
Peugeots moaning about Skodas factory entry,while the biggest problem was their choice/number of drivers.

noel157
15th November 2011, 22:58
One to add.

NOT
-Some lower-quality discussions and needless bashing here during the season. We don't need sick dogs or nationalist BS here.

Exactly. Somebody called me English today! Very insulting :)

BleAivano
15th November 2011, 23:21
HOT

Loeb[/*:m:1nelcoc5]
Swedish Rally weather conditions. cold with plenty of snow and proper winter roads.[/*:m:1nelcoc5]
The pace of Seb Jr. & Latvala when they manage to keep their cars on the road.[/*:m:1nelcoc5]

NOT

the new cars. I don't like them to small, to ugly to much go-cart like.[/*:m:1nelcoc5]
team orders / team tactics.[/*:m:1nelcoc5]
Starting order. Never understood why the rally/championship leader should have the starting position that
for most rallies are the most disadvantageous .[/*:m:1nelcoc5]
wrc.com website, its ok when it works but it malfunctions way to often.[/*:m:1nelcoc5]
The inconsistency of Seb jr and Latvala.[/*:m:1nelcoc5]

wildsir
16th November 2011, 00:13
HOT

Wilsons white race boots.
Seb Loeb in Finland
Latvala 2nd half of season
1.6T with 9K rev limiter
Ford Black Colour Scheme
MINI pace on tarmac
Progress of Meeke, 6 WRC rallies and mixing with big guns.
Sordo in France
Monte to be back in WRC
DMACK.. for trying.
WRC Website
World Rally Radio - Clark and Jules

NOT

Ford not getting act together
Scandanivian rally driver hair cuts
Matt Wilson (excluding his boots)
Petter Solberg consistency.
Stobart WRT
ICE1

tfp
16th November 2011, 00:38
NOT

Scandanivian rally driver hair cuts

What are you trying to say about ostbergs mullet? :laugh:

wildsir
16th November 2011, 01:05
Jean Claude Van Damme and Billy Ray Cyrus would be fighting over that mop!

GigiGalliNo1
16th November 2011, 02:43
H.O.T
1. Rally Australia
1.5 Loeb rolling in Rally Australia - you must admit, it shook up the sport a little bit and the fight was more ON!
2. WRC Live on the interweb
3. Exhaust note from the MINI WRCars! :D
4. Variety of more cars and drivers even if they were gentlemen/boy drivers
5. MINI on Tarmac thanks to Sordo (Now we need more tarmac rounds that are not similar!)
6. FERM's new livery (haha)
7. Ford WRT's BLACK livery
8. Novikov settled down at the few remaining rallies...

N.O.T
1. Kimi (Though I am not a fan I know a lot of people came to the sport due to his presence)
2. Ford Tactics and favouring one driver for title more then the other - where now at the end of the day that driver might leave the team!
3. Childish activities between two great drivers! One to succeed the other when other retires!
4. Petter Solberg's disadvantage with his car
5. Could have Campana rallied any better?
6. Munchi's... where were you?

koko0703
16th November 2011, 11:24
HOT:
1. Arrival of Mini
2. News of VW coming to WRC
3. Ogier taking fight against Loeb
4. Live stream

Not
1. Mikko Hirvonen
2. Ford management
3. Toyota chose Le Mans instead of WRC

MikeD
16th November 2011, 11:55
HOT:

Loeb winning title no. 8
MINI for being competitive
Sordo for his 2 podiums
Ogier for his speed and 5 wins
Latvala for his improved speed on tarmac
Mads Østberg for his 2 podiums

NOT:

M-Sport and their attempt to try and make a team-order champion
Spanish idiot running into Loeb at Rally GB
Matt Wilson for his pathetic lack of speed
Hirvonen for accepting 5 teamorders in a row
Meeke for too many DNF's and not being fast enough + cracking under pressure in a fight with Henning Solberg at GB

wildsir
16th November 2011, 12:23
Meeke for too many DNF's and not being fast enough + cracking under pressure in a fight with Henning Solberg at GB
i agree. DNFs.. sardina throttle stuck open, finland rad packed jammed, germany alternator failed. fastest times on tarmac and gravel. one both gravel events he was beating sordo. with every other driver around him has +5 year experience on him.. i must say.. its pathetic.

noel157
16th November 2011, 12:37
i agree. DNFs.. sardina throttle stuck open, finland rad packed jammed, germany alternator failed. fastest times on tarmac and gravel. one both gravel events he was beating sordo. with every other driver around him has +5 year experience on him.. i must say.. its pathetic.

Don't waste your time, the bloke has had a personal problem with Meeke for years. Perhaps he refused to sign an autograph for him. Takes every opportunity to disparage him.

Pinto
16th November 2011, 12:44
why all the bashing of Meeke i do not understand Wilson is there how many years and Kris is quicker out of the box,i think its pathetic to say he trew away a podium in wales with all the bother he had he done well to be in the hunt on the final loop for third,and you have to commend the times he was putting in,both himself and Sordo have been a great addition to the WRC this year.

Pinto
16th November 2011, 12:45
Don't waste your time, the bloke has had a personal problem with Meeke for years. Perhaps he refused to sign an autograph for him. Takes every opportunity to disparage him.

isnt that so sad,

Barreis
16th November 2011, 12:57
Well, in Sardinia he knew roads better then anyone else.