PDA

View Full Version : Would it not make more sense...?

fandango
12th November 2011, 18:58
... for Kimi to come back to Ferrari and Massa to go to Williams?

Failing that, if Ferrari do dump Massa it's hard to see who they should get. If they go for a younger driver, they'd need someone with some experience who can take a bit of pressure and is able to perform and improve. Perhaps the best option there would be Alguersuari.

jens
12th November 2011, 19:22
Ferrari couldn't afford to pay two top drivers and Kimi would be a little too fast for what they need. Ferrari want a solid number two, not a driver who is fast over a single lap and would cause trouble for their strategists on a Sunday IMO.

I think people have too many prejudices about teams not wanting the best available options. "Too fast and troubles Alonso" are not arguments, when it comes to deciding over drivers. Ferrari, like all teams, want to get as good drivers as possible.

ioan
12th November 2011, 19:56

Failing that, if Ferrari do dump Massa it's hard to see who they should get. If they go for a younger driver, they'd need someone with some experience who can take a bit of pressure and is able to perform and improve. Perhaps the best option there would be Alguersuari.

Because if you were Kimi you would accept to drive for those who threw you out a couple of years ago?
Interesting view nonetheless.

Ranger
12th November 2011, 21:20
Kimi was outperformed by Massa in '08 and '09 until the accident.

Replacing one with the other would do nothing except cost them more money.

DexDexter
12th November 2011, 23:05
Kimi was outperformed by Massa in '08 and '09 until the accident.

Replacing one with the other would do nothing except cost them more money.

Using you logic they should in fact hire Kovalainen who is beating Trulli and sack Alonso. Remember points standings after ten races in 2004: Jarno Trulli, Renault 40 points, Fernando Alonso Renault 30 points, so Trulli more than matched Alonso before his fallout with Briatore that year.

My point is that rather than looking at statistics that suit you you should take a look at the real tally of Räikkönen's time at Ferrari and compare it to Massa OR Alonso for that matter. 1 WDC vs no WDCs. Luck or not, that's the bottom line and I see some added value in Räikkönen over Massa.

Ranger
13th November 2011, 07:49
I would disagree but anyway, bottom line is that Kimi will never go back to Ferrari.

i_max2k2
13th November 2011, 07:51
Using you logic they should in fact hire Kovalainen who is beating Trulli and sack Alonso. Remember points standings after ten races in 2004: Jarno Trulli, Renault 40 points, Fernando Alonso Renault 30 points, so Trulli more than matched Alonso before his fallout with Briatore that year.

My point is that rather than looking at statistics that suit you you should take a look at the real tally of Räikkönen's time at Ferrari and compare it to Massa OR Alonso for that matter. 1 WDC vs no WDCs. Luck or not, that's the bottom line and I see some added value in Räikkönen over Massa.

Dont you think you are contradicting yourself? Massa was becoming a better driver then Kimi, and had a very good chance for the wdc. I'm not sure how things would have been if he did not have that accident in Hungry, but he would have been a much better driver vs what we have seen since.

DexDexter
13th November 2011, 09:00
Dont you think you are contradicting yourself? Massa was becoming a better driver then Kimi, and had a very good chance for the wdc. I'm not sure how things would have been if he did not have that accident in Hungry, but he would have been a much better driver vs what we have seen since.

Based on what? Could it possibly be that Räikkönen was just having a bad spell like Lewis Hamilton this year? This so called "beating" happened in 2008 when for some reason there was a slump in Räikkönen's performance and Massa did very well. In 2009 Massa scored more points up to his accident than Kimi but Räikkönen outqualified him more often than not and was on the podium at Monaco in a mediocre car in what was the team's most competitive showing before Spa. This Massa beating Räikkönen and ice cream took a life of its own fuelled by Montezemolo and co. who wanted Alonso in his place for many reasons, one of them being Santander.

Anyway, back to the topic. I don't think Kimi'd go back there and I don't think they'd want to hire a driver they paid so much money not to race their cars. :p

fandango
13th November 2011, 10:08
Remember points standings after ten races in 2004: Jarno Trulli, Renault 40 points, Fernando Alonso Renault 30 points, so Trulli more than matched Alonso before his fallout with Briatore that year. ........

I'm not sure how scoring ten points less is "more than matching" anyone. "Almost matching" is the best I could give there. EDIT: Whoops, I just re-read the quote :) Sorry, scratch that [red face]

Anyway, Kimi joining Ferrari again is just a bit of whimsy, really. If Ferrari want Massa out it's because they want their second car to be up there among the top runners, not chasing behind. Who'd be the best driver in the second Ferrari then, now that there's no chance of them stealing Button or Rosberg? Perez? Petrov? Alguersuari?

jens
13th November 2011, 10:54
Who'd be the best driver in the second Ferrari then, now that there's no chance of them stealing Button or Rosberg? Perez? Petrov? Alguersuari?

That's indeed an interesting topic. None of the midfield runners have proven to be a true ace over a full season. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Sutil in Ferrari, he is hardly going to do even worse than Massa and is likely out of F1 drive after this season anyway, so is easily available. Alguersuari has shown to be a decent racer recently, but he would probably keep giving much away in qualifying. I am wondering about Pérez, he has constantly had the measure of Kobayashi recently, but the competitiveness of Sauber hasn't been particularly good any more. So seeing him getting a point every now and then is perhaps a sign of performing impressively?

But they are not the kind of drivers that would motivate Ferrari to sack Massa before the end of the deal. Ideally Ferrari would like a driver, who can score at least 70-80% of Alonso's points, not 40. Not easy to find one at the moment though. I think half a decade ago it would have been easier to find a good choice, because back then we had a very high quality midfield with the likes of Button, Webber, Heidfeld, Trulli, etc, all mixed there.

In hindsight one could say that had Ferrari retained Kimi instead of Felipe for 10-11, he would have done better during that period. But at that time no-one could have known, at what level will Massa come back. But based on that experience Ferrari now knows that opting for Kimi or Kubica, when they have been out of F1 for some time, can be risky business.

ioan
13th November 2011, 12:35

You call that logic?

ioan
13th November 2011, 12:36
Based on what?

Based on results?!
Nah, results don't matter, nationality and coolness is way more important.

Malbec
13th November 2011, 18:45

Kimi is a risk though as his motivation is seriously in question. He wasn't at his best in his last year at Ferrari, was doing OK in rallying but then pulled out of the Australian rally. I think many teams are wondering how hungry he is to win.

For Williams signing him is a risk worth taking I guess, he fits in with their other recent signings like Coughlan. Strong previous F1 histories but guys who've spent a few years in the wilderness.

F1boat
13th November 2011, 20:18
No it isn't wiser. They have a good lineup, one fast leader and a solid second driver. But the car is slow. The drivers are not a problem IMO.

steveaki13
18th November 2011, 20:22
Don't think any of the leading more established teams would take such a big risk on a driver no matter how good that has missed a couple of years and is well known not to like doing PR work for the team.

Maybe Kimi will be just as fast as he was, but if he sits in the car and struggles then Ferrari/Mclaren/Red Bull have a problem. Where as Williams need publicity and something to improve their image and sponsor prospects

Bolton Midnight
19th November 2011, 01:59
Kimi's time has been and gone, Di Resta would be great at Ferrari esp with his Italian connections.