PDA

View Full Version : Kimi in Williams in 2012 (Rumour)

Eki
22nd October 2011, 16:51
Former F1-driver Taki Inoue told in Twitter that Kimi Räikkönen has signed a deal with Williams for 2012.

Stuartf12007
22nd October 2011, 17:00
link please

Eki
22nd October 2011, 17:25
http://www.iltalehti.fi/formulat/2011102214621607_fo.shtml

Langdale Forest
22nd October 2011, 17:31
It's best for him if he goes back to F1, he is not very good at WRC so he should go back to something that he is good at.

kfzmeister
22nd October 2011, 18:28
That would be awesome!

donKey jote
22nd October 2011, 18:45
great news... Mia must be having kittens :laugh:

steveaki13
22nd October 2011, 19:48
It's best for him if he goes back to F1, he is not very good at WRC so he should go back to something that he is good at.

You mean Taki Inoue ;)

Seriously though why would Taki Inoue know this, am I missing something is he involved in Williams????

Eki
22nd October 2011, 20:58
You mean Taki Inoue ;)

Seriously though why would Taki Inoue know this, am I missing something is he involved in Williams????

The article says Taki Inoue is working with Japanese F1-drivers to help them in their contract affairs. Maybe some Japanese driver was hoping to get a deal with Williams?

Koz
22nd October 2011, 22:53
This is brilliant new!

6 WDC's next year! If Williams get their act together and perform at least to current Mercedes standard it will be absolutely epic!

MJW
22nd October 2011, 23:55
No reliable sources have announced anything yet. I would have thought the BBC or Autosport would have got wind of the story if there was any weight to it by now. Kimi was at Williams F1 when he missed WRC Rally Australia. Some financial hold ups since then, hopefully these are now sorted.

ioan
23rd October 2011, 14:59
http://www.iltalehti.fi/formulat/2011102214621607_fo.shtml

Bah, no English link? That means this is worthless news! ;)

Oh wait henners already posted this! :D

AndyRAC
23rd October 2011, 18:58
I wish him well in anything he does - he's had the guts to go to another series and come out of his comfort zone. I do wonder how committed he has been, especially in regards to making pace-notes.
Also, he hasn't really brought the media coverage people in the WRC thought he would.

ioan
23rd October 2011, 20:57
I didn't bring nationality into it at all. I mentioned two usually reliable sources who had not reported anything which is why I was reserving judgement on this RUMOUR. You have a bit of a habit for searching for my posts and trying to provoke don't you ioan? :down: :down:

Sure sure, the two reliable sources were British just by accident. Keep it up, it keeps things 'exciting' around here while waiting for a GP week end. :D

Back to topic, I really hope this is true and he comes back to F1.

Koz
24th October 2011, 00:10
Also, he hasn't really brought the media coverage people in the WRC thought he would.

Is that a bad thing?

Last year, in the WRC media/news there was far more mention of Kimi than the rise of Seb v2 or anyone/thing else. It was just Kimi, Kimi, Kimi...

But now there is no mention of him at all. I didn't know he even started in Spain - I still don't quite know why he retired, nothing in the news...

555-04Q2
24th October 2011, 15:46
So has Kimi got the Window Cleaning Technician job or the Floor Sweeping Technician job :?:

kfzmeister
24th October 2011, 16:28
You mean Taki Inoue ;)

Taki lives in Monaco and is well connected to F1, due to his involvement with young Jap drivers trying to get into the sport. Apparently the Kimi signing also is tied to Williams landing QNB as a potential sponsor (Keeping fingers crossed!!)

Brown, Jon Brow
24th October 2011, 16:39
Times will be better for Williams next year. If they get Kimi he should bring 0.5 seconds to the team and I think part of the reason Williams are so slow this year is because they can't use off-throttle-blown diffuser technology with the Cosworth.

DexDexter
24th October 2011, 18:37
In the latest F1 Racing Magazine Kimi apparently admits that he is considering a return to F1. It would be great, it's just that the car is going to be bad.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/formula1/raikkonen-myontaa-ensi-kertaa-f1-paluuaikeet/art-1288423051830.html

kfzmeister
24th October 2011, 18:50
Times will be better for Williams next year. If they get Kimi he should bring 0.5 seconds to the team and I think part of the reason Williams are so slow this year is because they can't use off-throttle-blown diffuser technology with the Cosworth.

Rubens has said that the car behaves ok. one day, then the next it behaves completely different. Same aero set-up. Fundamental issues with the car.
This doesn't mean that the car is doomed next year. Many changes coming.

Mia 01
24th October 2011, 20:04
Nothing is clear yet, officially. But I really hope this will come thrue.

And besides, I don´t care what car he drives as long as he is on the grid next year. Am I the only one who is so dumb.

jens
24th October 2011, 20:19
The article says Taki Inoue is working with Japanese F1-drivers to help them in their contract affairs. Maybe some Japanese driver was hoping to get a deal with Williams?

Huh, like who? Sakon Yamamoto? Nakajima again? :o :p :

ioan
24th October 2011, 20:32
Times will be better for Williams next year. If they get Kimi he should bring 0.5 seconds to the team ...

I never understood this kind of statements.

Robinho
24th October 2011, 20:44
well Alonso brought 6 tenths to McLaren don't forget. Unfortunately he forgot to take them with him and Ron gave them to Lewis. The last I heard Lewis had left them in his spare trousers which were at Nicole's house, I think Pharell has them now, but he's not sure what to do with them

jens
24th October 2011, 21:10
I guess Button somehow stole those six tenths from Hamilton. I mean how else a driver, who was expected to get trashed by Lewis, suddenly becomes better than him?

DexDexter
24th October 2011, 21:58
well Alonso brought 6 tenths to McLaren don't forget. Unfortunately he forgot to take them with him and Ron gave them to Lewis. The last I heard Lewis had left them in his spare trousers which were at Nicole's house, I think Pharell has them now, but he's not sure what to do with them

I'm sure Alonso fans are happy that someone mentioned that Kimi only brings 0.5seconds
In addition Alonso also took 0.4 seconds off from Massa. :D :D

Big Ben
25th October 2011, 14:54
Call me old fashioned but I do tend to read news in my own country before I look around foreign websites for news. Am I alone in doing this people? Autosport and the BBC being quite big names for reporting motorsport news is an obvious choice for someone like me. I only speak English so looking at German, Italian, Spanish, and French websites is a total waste of my time even if I attempt to try and translate them through Google. I don't think this is unreasonable to state ioan if I am honest and I fail to see your point. :confused:

On topic though, this months F1 Racing magazine appears to have dedicated its front page to Kimi and his apparent return. Good news after months and months of unsubstantiated rumours. :up:

EDIT: I see Dex has already said it.. :)

Ioan is waiting for the romanian motorsport press to cover the issue to believe it.

donKey jote
25th October 2011, 17:32
:laugh:

jens
25th October 2011, 18:39
Button is vastly more experienced than Hamilton and this shows in more challenging and mixable conditions but I don't agree with your claim that Button is suddenly better and faster than Hamilton.

Never thought Button is faster than Hamilton. Perhaps on some circuits, where Lewis ate up tyres quicker, Button became a bit faster in race trim at the end of stints and has had a better string of performances lately. But remains to be seen, how will the events unfold in the future. :)

Mia 01
27th October 2011, 13:24
The deal is done, if this story is thrue.

'Raikkonen has signed Williams deal' | Planet F1 | Formula One News (http://www.planetf1.com/driver/3213/7268653/-Raikkonen-has-signed-Williams-deal)-

CNR
27th October 2011, 14:11
F1 News > Raikkonen talk gathers strength (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23673.html)

It has emerged that the team's attempts to pull off the Raikkonen coup are linked to backing from the Qatar National Bank as a major sponsor.
The Brazilian media, with Rubens Barrichello's interests close at heart, are monitoring the situation carefully and revealed at the weekend that Frank Williams has recently spent time personally in Qatar and Saudi Arabia.
Williams, of course, already has business interests in Qatar

but many will remember that it was backing from that part of the world that launched the team on its route to the top more than 30 years ago.
do you know what family it was
clue a load of trash

Big Ben
27th October 2011, 14:18
I've told you should wait for the articles in the romanian press. it's the most reliable when it comes to formula 1. It's based on facts not rumors. I can already see it...."Kimi Raikkonen is back in Formula 1. He's driving a blue car. He crashed after falling asleep in Malaysia. He finished somewhere in the second half of the table in the previous race."

CaptainRaiden
27th October 2011, 16:29
I've told you should wait for the articles in the romanian press. it's the most reliable when it comes to formula 1. It's based on facts not rumors. I can already see it...."Kimi Raikkonen is back in Formula 1. He's driving a blue car. He crashed after falling asleep in Malaysia. He finished somewhere in the second half of the table in the previous race."

Or that the commentator knows him personally, has breakfast with him, and also tested the Williams before Kimi to see if it's a good car or not, and warned Kimi not to drive it, as it is nowhere near the quality of Red Bull or Ferrari, cars which the commentator also drove. Hearing which, Kimi gave this commentator half his wealth and retired in the Alps. This genius commentator, apart from being an expert in commentating, also is manager and mentor to more than half of the current crop of F1 drivers...

Big Ben
27th October 2011, 19:25
Or that the commentator knows him personally, has breakfast with him, and also tested the Williams before Kimi to see if it's a good car or not, and warned Kimi not to drive it, as it is nowhere near the quality of Red Bull or Ferrari, cars which the commentator also drove. Hearing which, Kimi gave this commentator half his wealth and retired in the Alps. This genius commentator, apart from being an expert in commentating, also is manager and mentor to more than half of the current crop of F1 drivers...

fortunately digisport decided they can handle f1 without his expertise... I am sure he's still doing all that except that he's not bragging about it on the tv now.

Mia 01
28th October 2011, 19:10
I´m a bit uncertain again.

Firstgear
28th October 2011, 20:03
I´m a bit uncertain again.
No need to be uncertain - there is certainly - most definately a rumour about Kimi & Williams floating around.

Eki
29th October 2011, 13:26
F1 News > Raikkonen talk gathers strength (http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23673.html)

but many will remember that it was backing from that part of the world that launched the team on its route to the top more than 30 years ago.
do you know what family it was
clue a load of trash
Bin Laden family. Keke Rosberg won his championship back then and had to spray mineral water instead of champagne.

BDunnell
29th October 2011, 13:31
Bin Laden family. Keke Rosberg won his championship back then and had to spray mineral water instead of champagne.

And the Bin Laden logos, at least a few years ago, were no longer carried on the otherwise perfectly-restored Williams cars from that period.

Mia 01
29th October 2011, 17:08
Write that word on the net, not wise. but if he support Kimi i would be a fan 0f his.

He´s not dead.

donKey jote
29th October 2011, 18:32
you are truly nuts :laugh:

ioan
29th October 2011, 20:45
Write that word on the net, not wise. but if he support Kimi i would be a fan 0f his.

He´s not dead.

:rotflmao:

DexDexter
30th October 2011, 07:57
:rotflmao:

:D :D

CNR
30th October 2011, 08:39
just had Adam Parr on tv and he may be there next year

Koz
30th October 2011, 08:57
just had Adam Parr on tv and he may be there next year

What exactly did Parr say?

Dave B
30th October 2011, 12:07
What exactly did Parr say?

No idea what he said on that interview, but he's just told the BBC "we're thinking about next year, no decision has been made, I can't say any more than that".

Brundle: "Wouldn't Kimi energise the team and help with motivation?"
Parr: "Let me answer it with a general point... any team would welcome a world champion."

So that's a yes then? ;)

ioan
30th October 2011, 12:10
Why would Kimi join a team that was battling with HRT for position half way through today's race?

Dave B
30th October 2011, 12:14
Why would Kimi join a team that was battling with HRT for position half way through today's race?
It's a good question. On the plus side they are going back to Renault engines, but it that's about the only positive.

ioan
30th October 2011, 12:22
It's a good question. On the plus side they are going back to Renault engines, but it that's about the only positive.

Will they also get Renault transmission? It looks to me like Williams is having to many problems related to their in-house developed transmission.

BDunnell
30th October 2011, 13:23

Indeed. I'm unsure as to whether he would be the driver best equipped to help the team out of its current, and very sad, mire.

jens
30th October 2011, 14:03
I have read suggestions that Kimi would have a 1-year-deal with Williams in order to re-prove himself for top teams. Williams may be nowhere, but 2012 would be a warm-up year for himself anyway. He can't step straight to the top after the break from F1 he has had.

Bagwan
30th October 2011, 14:03
No idea what he said on that interview, but he's just told the BBC "we're thinking about next year, no decision has been made, I can't say any more than that".

Brundle: "Wouldn't Kimi energise the team and help with motivation?"
Parr: "Let me answer it with a general point... any team would welcome a world champion."

So that's a yes then? ;)

Any other WDCs out there looking for work , Davey ?
Just a general point I thought I'd point out .

Bagwan
30th October 2011, 14:06

For a North American race , you need a North American to root for , don't you , Davey ?

ioan
30th October 2011, 14:08
JV won't get a seat Baggy, don't get your hopes to high.

Bagwan
30th October 2011, 14:09
I have read suggestions that Kimi would have a 1-year-deal with Williams in order to re-prove himself for top teams. Williams may be nowhere, but 2012 would be a warm-up year for himself anyway. He can't step straight to the top after the break from F1 he has had.

I've heard of someone who had , just a short while ago , enough backing to start a new team and run it for at least three years .

Apparently , he worked for Williams once , and did alright , if I recall .

Bagwan
30th October 2011, 14:11
JV won't get a seat Baggy, don't get your hopes to high.

I didn't mention any name of any driver .

You must have heard some rumour of this .
What have you heard ?

Dave B
30th October 2011, 14:30
Any other WDCs out there looking for work , Davey ?
Just a general point I thought I'd point out .
Only one other leaps to mind, but he'd have more luck writing a letter to Jim'll Fix It. :p

donKey jote
30th October 2011, 16:15
Will they also get Renault transmission? It looks to me like Williams is having to many problems related to their in-house developed transmission.

Never mind... Kim'll fix it !!

donKey jote
30th October 2011, 16:28
Kim Possible - speeding rocket part 2 :p
L2HbQruE8XA

Bagwan
30th October 2011, 17:30
Only one other leaps to mind, but he'd have more luck writing a letter to Jim'll Fix It. :p

Is that one of the mechanics ?

SGWilko
30th October 2011, 18:07

Scratch that, Sir Jimmy is no more. :eek:

donKey jote
30th October 2011, 18:12
a dead parrot ? :eek:

SGWilko
30th October 2011, 18:21
a dead parrot ? :eek:

Died in his sleep apparently. He was a bit odd, bit did a heck of a lot for charity.

Ow's about that now then now then boys and girls. Dont know how to represent in written form his trademark 'tarzan' like noise......

Dave B
30th October 2011, 18:37
Scratch that, Sir Jimmy is no more. :eek:

Sort of the point ;)

Mia 01
2nd November 2011, 13:48
Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/Clausell_F1/status/131716396085293056)

If so, Kimi will be well payd next year.

ArrowsFA1
2nd November 2011, 14:22

If being the operative word given that the Tweet is simply reporting a rumour.

It may well turn out to be true but we'll see...

Ranger
2nd November 2011, 14:24
Would be great to have him back... but why would anyone pay him a €15 million salary?? :\

As far as I know, that is about twice what Sebastian Vettel earns per season.

If they spent that money on quality senior technical staff they would do infinitely better.

jens
2nd November 2011, 16:04
Would be great to have him back... but why would anyone pay him a €15 million salary?? :\

I'm wondering the same, especially as we are basically talking about an underfunded team, who needs every extra penny to try to develop the car efficiently and get some results at all. The perspectives of the new Arab sponsor would be clearly out of touch, if this rumour was the reality.

ArrowsFA1
3rd November 2011, 08:33
Thinking about it, this rumour of the Qatar National Bank putting money into Williams does make sense given their links in that country with the Williams Technology Centre...

Koz
3rd November 2011, 12:23
The perspectives of the new Arab sponsor would be clearly out of touch, if this rumour was the reality.

QBN has a lot of money, probably more than any other player in F1 bar Santander.

Perhaps the Qatari royals want to be in the F1 game, like their Bahrainian counterparts...
If so, they won't mind paying Kimi whatever he wants.

There are no other world champions around... Other than JV of course. :D

SGWilko
3rd November 2011, 12:29
Other than JV of course. :D

Does he really count?

Bezza
3rd November 2011, 13:00

Twitter is blocked at work here, can you tell me what it says?

Cheers

ArrowsFA1
3rd November 2011, 13:11

Cheers
'Qatar National Bank' se rumorea que pagará alrededor de 30mill/€ a WILLIAMS en 2012, de los cuales un 50% irán para KIMI RAIKKONEN...

:D

Koz
3rd November 2011, 13:13

Cheers

#F1 'Qatar National Bank' se rumorea que pagará alrededor de 30mill/€ a WILLIAMS en 2012, de los cuales un 50% irán para KIMI RAIKKONEN...

Google translate can't seem to translate it properly but... If I understand it...

30m euro to Williams half of which goes to Kimi??

Does he really count?

Only if Fausto is counting.

Bagwan
3rd November 2011, 13:43
Does he really count?

He'd run for less than $15million , likely for race bonuses alone .
For a cash strapped team , would that count ?

They ran retro livery this year , and he was the last to run up front for them .
Does that count ?

He's got sponsors who aren't interested in NASCAR .
Does that count ?

He's North American , with two races being added in this region in the next two or three years .
Does that count ?

He still runs up front in all the series he enters .
Does that count ?

He's a well-known car developer , and Williams has a dog of a car at present .
Does that count ?

Jacques also has friends in the middle East .
Does that count ?

Whereas , Kimi doen't come cheap .
And Kimi isn't known as a developer .
And Kimi has been playing at the back of the field in a series totally unrelated to F1 for a while now .

Do you think it would cause a bit of a stir ?

Franks no fool , but if he doesn't at least court the possibility , he'd be missing out on a good deal here .

Dave B
3rd November 2011, 15:34

They ran retro livery this year , and he was the last to run up front for them .
Does that count ?

Does that count ?

He's North American , with two races being added in this region in the next two or three years .
Does that count ?

Does that count ?

Does that count ?

Does that count ?

And Kimi has been playing at the back of the field in a series totally unrelated to F1 for a while now .

Franks no fool , but if he doesn't at least court the possibility , he'd be missing out on a good deal here .

I don't think even Jacques himself is delusional enough to think he's got a shot in F1, unless our old friend Mr. Stefanovic starts writing fairy tales again!

SGWilko
3rd November 2011, 15:51

Does that count ?

Does that count ?

Does that count ?

Does that count ?

Does that count ?

Does that count ?

When you wish upon a star.........

Bagwan
3rd November 2011, 19:52
Yep , just like the rest of the F1 world , it seems , you guys don't get it .
I didn't think you would .

Along with those other items I believe count , add that there's one of his biggest rivals starting to do well again on the grid , beating his young team-mate .
To have MS on the grid next to JV would make for more lines of press than even Bernie could dream .
And it wouldn't matter what Lewis did , they'd ask JV about his opinion on it first .

JV is also known to be kind to his tires , which is now more necessary than ever .

JV is hungry whilst Kimi has proven in the past to be lazy and dis-interested .

Frankly , I don't expect Sir Frank to hire him , but it seems to me that the evidence points toward it being a good move .
It's alright though , as he's working on NASCAR budget , and being asked to race in stock cars in Brazil , touring cars in Australia , and ice racing and LeMans protypes in France at the moment .

So , I guess you could say he's having some fun out there .

Too bad in a way , though , as I am sure he could still do well in F1 .

Mia 01
3rd November 2011, 20:05
FORMULA ONE - F1: Williams To Announce Raikkonen Deal (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-williams-to-announce-kimi-raikkonen-deal/)

Can we trust Speed? Hope so.

Along with MS Kimi must be the most well knowed name in F1 the last decade? It seems Kimi is the most popular. Wonder way.

Koz
4th November 2011, 04:43
After 6 years away from F1...
15 years since his last win...

Since 2003 he has been beaten by every team mate he had...

So, NO.

Does that count ?
When he had the best car by more than a mile? Sure.

Montoya was better at Williams.

Does that count ?
Which sponsors? The same ones who wanted to start a team?
Then buy a team?
That probably don't even exist?

Does that count ?
Perez is also North American, does that count?

Does that count ?
I am not sure about this one. He is a old man who was uncompetitive in his last years in F1. I don't see how he would be better after 6 years away from the sport.

Does that count ?
He is?

Kimi, unlike JV, is a known quality.

Everyone is well aware of this fact. All Kimi wants is Ice Cream and Vodka.

And Kimi has been playing at the back of the field [b]in a series totally unrelated to F1 for a while now .[/quote]

You said it yourself.

Yes, it would make Sir Frank the laughing stock of F1.

:s mokin:

Koz
4th November 2011, 04:56
Yep , just like the rest of the F1 world , it seems , you guys don't get it .
I didn't think you would .
Everyone can't see, except a Canadian?
Clearly we are blind.

Along with those other items I believe count , add that there's one of his biggest rivals starting to do well again on the grid , beating his young team-mate .
Mike is beating Barbie??
I guess you forgot last season... Even this season, I wouldn't say Mike is beting him.
Mike had also been playing with Ferrari even after he retired.
He has infinitely more experience than JV.

JV only rivaled him when he had the best car by a long margin, does that count?

To have MS on the grid next to JV would make for more lines of press than even Bernie could dream .
To have 7 champions would be grand.

And it wouldn't matter what Lewis did , they'd ask JV about his opinion on it first .
:eek:

JV is also known to be kind to his tires , which is now more necessary than ever .

JV is hungry whilst Kimi has proven in the past to be lazy and dis-interested .
Frankly , I don't expect Sir Frank to hire him , but it seems to me that the evidence points toward it being a good move .
It's alright though , as he's working on NASCAR budget , and being asked to race in stock cars in Brazil , touring cars in Australia , and ice racing and LeMans protypes in France at the moment .

So , I guess you could say he's having some fun out there .

Too bad in a way , though , as I am sure he could still do well in F1 .

You know what?
Ignore everything I just said.
There is an opening in Renault, they should hire him if Kubica isn't back. They need money, any money, and I am sure he would be infinitely more helpful in that department than Senna.

Mia 01
4th November 2011, 08:17
Nothing against JV, I like him the former Lewis.
But to stay on topic, would like both him and Kimi back, JV for the fun of it.

Knock-on
4th November 2011, 08:36
Come on chaps. Lets talk about Kimi, not some washed up 'has-been' that only won in a car as dominant as this years Bull and was only in F1 in the first place because of the pull of his name.

There's more chance of an HRT taking pole, win and fastest lap next week as of Jacques making a return.

Mia 01
4th November 2011, 08:43
45 million euros to not race in 18 months. OK, now I understand.

Kimi, your the man. Sorry all Lewwwi fans.

Mia 01
4th November 2011, 08:47
Kimi Raikkonen en F1 augmente l (http://www.sportune.fr/sport-business/kimi-raikkonen-en-f1-augmente-laction-williams-en-bourse-40881)

If Kimi signs with Williams, their shairs could rise 40 to 90 million euros.

Mia 01
4th November 2011, 08:57
Kimi in a F1 team worth 90 million euros alone, Rise that senna boy

Mia 01
4th November 2011, 09:12
I´m wrong, Kimi in a team is worth way moore, he will take the car way up front and he wll not drive into Felipe regulary.

Koz
4th November 2011, 09:51
Calm down, Mia. Take a deep breath. :)

Dave B
4th November 2011, 09:53
Mia, I know English isn't your first language and I respect you for having a crack at it, but please for everybody's sanity take a deep breath and check your typing before you hit "Post Reply". :)

Knock-on
4th November 2011, 10:17
I´m wrong, Kimi in a team is worth way moore, he will take the car way up front and he wll not drive into Felipe regulary.

I know Felipe Baby is not the quickest in the world but if he's thrashing about with a Williams then he's got real problems :laugh:

SGWilko
4th November 2011, 10:27

Mia, what's that chaps name who used to play Bond and The Saint?

Oh yes, Roger More.........

CaptainRaiden
4th November 2011, 11:27
If Kimi comes back, somehow takes pole and wins a race in his return year, I think Mia's head is going to explode out of sheer enthusiasm. :erm:

And that'd probably be the first time it's happened on this planet...

[The above statement is inspired solely by Mia's abuse of the "post quick reply" button above].

Mia 01
4th November 2011, 12:05
I dont think Kimi in a Williams can win a race next year, the only chance is Spa.

But, the important thing, Kimi on the grid all races.

Me, and billions of other fans want this.

CaptainRaiden
4th November 2011, 13:52

Erm, you know, the Earth's population is only 7 billion... :erm:

Bagwan
4th November 2011, 13:55
I dont think Kimi in a Williams can win a race next year, the only chance is Spa.

But, the important thing, Kimi on the grid all races.

Hey , Mia , how about Jacques and Kimi going through Eau Rouge flat , side by side ?

Perfect combo , with set-up by Jacques , and ice cream after the race in the winner's press conference , provided by Kimi .
Jacques will do the talking for both , as two world champs come back together for Williams and storm the field .

Sure , Jacques has been quoted as hating DRS , but is that so un-common ?
Sure , he's said he's bored with it , but is that , too , so un-common ?

When he last attempted to get a team together , Jacques was insensed that the word came out earlier than he had planned .

jens
4th November 2011, 15:06
Erm, you know, the Earth's population is only 7 billion... :erm:

Mmm, Billions of fans. Well, perhaps insects and all kinds of animals are counted among them as well. :)

Funny that Villeneuve has been the topic here. This made me think about one thing...
Actually there can be a bit of a similarity with the proposed Kimi comeback. After getting sacked (JV by BAR, Kimi by Ferrari), both spent some time without a drive in F1 before returning to a private midfield team (Sauber and Williams respectively). I mean full-time drive here as the Renault' drive was only partial.

Of course the warning can be that Villeneuve's comeback didn't bring much addition to his career. When his comeback to Sauber was announced in Autumn 2004, I was personally surprised, because I thought he wasn't going to show much, especially on the back of the underwhelming drives for Renault. For some reason I'm more optimistic about Kimi's outlooks, perhaps he can still reach the level of his best days.

ArrowsFA1
4th November 2011, 16:10
For some reason I'm more optimistic about Kimi's outlooks, perhaps he can still reach the level of his best days.
I think that will very much depend on the 2012 car that Williams produce, and whether Kimi has the level of committment needed to help the team progress from where they are now.

Perhaps he will be able to show enough next year to impress a top three team that he's worth signing for 2013, and that may (if he is returning) be his aim.

Bagwan
4th November 2011, 17:44
I think that will very much depend on the 2012 car that Williams produce, and whether Kimi has the level of committment needed to help the team progress from where they are now.

This is an example (sorry , Arrows) of the difference in the way people look at different drivers wearing different glasses .

Kimi won his title in a fast car .
Jensen won his title in a fast car .
Vettel won his titles in a fast car .

But , Jacques only won his title because he was in the fastest car in the grid .
Forget that he almost took the first race , but for a breakdown .
And , that he almost took the title that year as well , as a rookie .

Forget that the BAR was a POS , and that he was running deep on fuel to try and make points in the championship , rather than points in quals .
Forget that he only drove a couple of races in the pointy , Fish-proof Renault .
Forget that the Sauber was no winner .

No , Kimi is awesome , but Felipe Mousa beat him , and almost took the title .
But , Kimi sure is awesome .

donKey jote
4th November 2011, 17:49
Come on chaps. Lets talk about Kimi, not some washed up 'has-been' that only won in a car as dominant as this years Bull and was only in F1 in the first place because of the pull of his name.
Leave Damon out of it ! :p

DexDexter
4th November 2011, 18:09
Mmm, Billions of fans. Well, perhaps insects and all kinds of animals are counted among them as well. :)

Funny that Villeneuve has been the topic here. This made me think about one thing...
Actually there can be a bit of a similarity with the proposed Kimi comeback. After getting sacked (JV by BAR, Kimi by Ferrari), both spent some time without a drive in F1 before returning to a private midfield team (Sauber and Williams respectively). I mean full-time drive here as the Renault' drive was only partial.

Of course the warning can be that Villeneuve's comeback didn't bring much addition to his career. When his comeback to Sauber was announced in Autumn 2004, I was personally surprised, because I thought he wasn't going to show much, especially on the back of the underwhelming drives for Renault. For some reason I'm more optimistic about Kimi's outlooks, perhaps he can still reach the level of his best days.

There is some similarity but one must remember that Kimi won Spa in 2009 and had a very good second half of the season in a mediocre car. It was the first time an on form top driver was sacked since Nigel Mansell in 1992.

jens
4th November 2011, 18:29
Well, at least formally Mansell wasn't sacked, because his contract came to an end. In the same way one could say Hill was "sacked" in 1996. Mansell had the opportunity to continue, but as Prost joined Williams, he decided otherwise. I think a better case of a sack is Prost in 1991, he was indeed released before the end of his contract.

Mia 01
4th November 2011, 18:35
Kimi aint afraid of no other driver and right so. I think he wants another WDC beating his buddy Seb.

He is the most talented guy driven in F1 ever i think.

Mia 01
4th November 2011, 18:54
Fear, shear fear of Kimi competing in another team. OK, pay him 60 million dollars.

So hear we are Alonso and Ferrari. Will Williams with Kimi finish higher than Ferrai in the standings next year?

Koz
4th November 2011, 18:58
This is an example (sorry , Arrows) of the difference in the way people look at different drivers wearing different glasses .

Kimi won his title in a fast car .
Jensen won his title in a fast car .
Vettel won his titles in a fast car .

But , Jacques only won his title because he was in the fastest car in the grid .
Are you saying he didn't have the fastest car on the grid?

A great deal of people here bashed Jensen for dropping off mid-season, didn't they?
Vettel also currently has the fastest car on the grid, as well as last year.

The silver car was faster in 2007.

Forget that the BAR was a POS , and that he was running deep on fuel to try and make points in the championship , rather than points in quals .

Some people like to dig their own grave...

But anyway, didn't Button throughly thrash him?

Forget that he only drove a couple of races in the pointy , Fish-proof Renault .
Where Alonso throughly thrashed him.

Forget that the Sauber was no winner .

Did he beat his team mates, while there??

No , Kimi is awesome , but Felipe Mousa beat him , and almost took the title .
True... Massa's accident and Alonso's arrival changed him. He will never again be as good as he once was/may have been.

Mia 01
4th November 2011, 19:16
If, in a Williams, Kimi will suprise a few. He will be near or at the top. And, I think he will stay in Williams and make them WDC and WCC again.

CaptainRaiden
4th November 2011, 19:17
If, in a Williams, Kimi will suprise a few. He will be near or at the top. And, I think he will stay in Williams and make them WDC and WCC again.

Oh my God, Mrs. Raikkonen, it is time for bed! :mad:

Mia 01
4th November 2011, 19:26
Oh my God, Mrs. Raikkonen, it is time for bed! :mad:

Sorry, but he will. He is a real driver, not a basher, monkeys at the back style.

DexDexter
4th November 2011, 20:42
Well, at least formally Mansell wasn't sacked, because his contract came to an end. In the same way one could say Hill was "sacked" in 1996. Mansell had the opportunity to continue, but as Prost joined Williams, he decided otherwise. I think a better case of a sack is Prost in 1991, he was indeed released before the end of his contract.

Yep, you're right, Prost is a better example.

52Paddy
6th November 2011, 14:51
If he does return and if Williams are no better than they have been this year, I don't expect Kimi to make the podium. But if he can regularly finish in the top 10 (and beat his team-mate convincingly), I reckon some more substantial teams will be queueing up to sign him for 2013. Having said that, Williams might make a breakthrough next season with the Renault engines. I'd like to see him back either way - in my opinion, he's a good driver to have in the sport, particularly as it would bring about a nostalgic 'six champions on the one grid' feeling :D

Knock-on
7th November 2011, 14:24
Having said that, Williams might make a breakthrough next season with the Renault engines.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. I have it on good authority that Renault purposely compromised power on that engine in favour of improved fuel economy :D

555-04Q2
7th November 2011, 14:55
So has Mr Hotshot signed a deal yet?

ArrowsFA1
7th November 2011, 15:04
So has Mr Hotshot signed a deal yet?
There's a rumour that he might have :p :

Dave B
7th November 2011, 17:02
Interesting...

Toto Wolff, who owns around 20 percent of the Williams team, says that the team is in negotiation with Kimi Raikkonen. The Austrian investor said that “The Kimi Raikkonen file is on the table. The story is not a publicity stunt. We are negotiating seriously. There are several options. It will be a strategic decision.”

Full story: Now they are talking about it (http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/11/07/now-they-are-talking-about-it/)

He (Joe) has been wrong before, but is usually on the money.

555-04Q2
8th November 2011, 11:25
There's a rumour that he might have :p :

I hope he doesn't :p : I swore when he left F1 that if he returned I would boycott F1! Still stands!

Knock-on
8th November 2011, 12:19
I hope he doesn't :p : I swore when he left F1 that if he returned I would boycott F1! Still stands!

But if you Boycott F1, then you would will need to base criticism of Lewis on nothing more than biased opinion and unfounded rumour with no basis in fact.

Should fit right in here :D

Dave B
8th November 2011, 13:00
Dammit, I just "liked" Knock-on's post. Now I'll be accused of being in a clique... :p

Knock-on
8th November 2011, 13:49
Oh crap. I just 'liked' one of yours on the Ferrari thread before reading this.

We're damned!!

jens
8th November 2011, 13:59
Wait... you're trying to say you're not in a clique? :p :

Knock-on
8th November 2011, 14:00
Well done. That post has lead to you being assimilated :p

We're like the Motorsport Borg. Call us 'The Morg'!!

kfzmeister
8th November 2011, 14:19
Homos! :)

555-04Q2
8th November 2011, 14:42
Homos! :)

Stop complimenting them ;)

555-04Q2
9th November 2011, 14:38
Räikkönen vahvistaa Williams-neuvottelut - MTV3.fi - Urheilu - F1 - Uutiset (http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutiset.shtml/2011/11/1431080/raikkonen-vahvistaa-williams-neuvottelut)

Greet grummur convursiun thuru.

SGWilko
9th November 2011, 14:43
Greet grummur convursiun thuru.

Erddy gerddy burrrdun furdu

kfzmeister
9th November 2011, 17:25
Erddy gerddy burrrdun furdu

Durka, durka. :)

DexDexter
9th November 2011, 20:34
Kimi just said in an interview on Finnish Mtv3 that they've talked to Williams but there is no deal. He also said he wouldn't be apprehensive about the possible return since he's been in F1 for 10 years and knows everybody and most circuits.

DexDexter
9th November 2011, 21:45
Was it similar to the one here in post #132? lol :)

Pretty much but this is the first time I heard himself say that they've talked. Quite an achievement from the interviewer :)

redhorsefan122
11th November 2011, 10:02
yeah

i hope its all true at least for one season then red bull can swap webber with kimi
kimi - red bull eventually
webber - williams again second time a mid field team

i want to see jaguar racing back why did,nt they get alonso as there driver ? remember he tested for them ? if lotus change there name can they change there colour as well ? is catterham dark green orginally ?

what about newey he nearly signed for jag he is now at red bull i mean jag had so many chances ?

Dave B
11th November 2011, 10:55
My brain hurts.

jens
11th November 2011, 12:22
i want to see jaguar racing back why did,nt they get alonso as there driver ? remember he tested for them ?

Really? When was that?

Ranger
11th November 2011, 12:28
Really? When was that?

Thursday, May 30th 2002 apparently.

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula One | Alonso impresses in Jaguar test (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/2011180.stm)

Dave B
12th November 2011, 15:58
According to James Allen, Williams' 2012 lineup could be:

More likely Maldonado plus Sutil. Grosjean an outside chance

Source: McLarens fastest in practice as Alonso and Vettel wipe outJames Allen on F1 (http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/11/mclarens-fastest-in-practice-as-alonso-and-vettel-wipe-out/#comments) (Comment #6)

markabilly
12th November 2011, 16:10
who is this kimi guy?

and why would he want to drive for a team that seems to be in the back of the grid most races?

DexDexter
12th November 2011, 17:11
The latest wild rumor is that Kimi is also talking to TORO ROSSO, so in effect Minardi... This is from Finnish TV.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutiset.shtml/2011/11/1435933/uusin-raikkos-huhu-neuvotteluja-red-bullin-kakkostalliin

Koz
12th November 2011, 17:58
The latest wild rumor is that Kimi is also talking to TORO ROSSO, so in effect Minardi... This is from Finnish TV.

Uusin Räikkös-huhu: Neuvotteluja Red Bullin kakkostalliin - MTV3.fi - Urheilu - F1 - Uutiset (http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutiset.shtml/2011/11/1435933/uusin-raikkos-huhu-neuvotteluja-red-bullin-kakkostalliin)

No, for the love of god, NO!
Slow Williams any day over STR... What next? FI? Lotus?

ioan
12th November 2011, 20:04
No, for the love of god, NO!
Slow Williams any day over STR... What next? FI? Lotus?

What did you smoke?!
STR is miles better than Williams and would be a much better choice.

rikracing
12th November 2011, 23:23
i think kimi / barrichello would be a good choice ???
but then again i hear myself say dont do it frank as money does'nt grow on trees
offer barrichello another year and pasto can stay for another year with the cash and sponsors are in his side of the garage
i think its wrong to push the money bubble to the limit to see it go pop and leave williams in a worse position ???
i undestand frank and other people's ambitions to get to the top BUT its hard to keep up to date with everything in f1 ferrari and mclaren were kings BUT there trophies are less shiny than red bulls PLUS it will be hard to see renault have a team and supply an engine to one of there best partners ever ? its direct commpetition that could go wrong ?

rikracing
12th November 2011, 23:26
i thought renault had money worries as a team ????
to save money they should go back to a winning thing and just support williams ?
how many teams will renault supply to in 2012 including themself ?????

rikracing
12th November 2011, 23:40
jenson button to williams as LEAD DRIVER
Pasto to stay to bring cash / sponsors to team

rikracing
12th November 2011, 23:48
lewis hamilton could do well at williams ??? year with different engine ie the renault ??? giancarlo fisichella anybody know what he is doing now ??? is he still at ferrari as test driver ??? he is better than people say But not the best yet he could go to williams ??? masssa to wiliams ??? needs to experience new managment ??? its always been ferrari for him

rikracing
12th November 2011, 23:57
msc / shumi to wiliams they need money and good driver so ???
one driver to supply the cash brunno senna ??? he is getting better and quicker ???
i dont want to see petrov or maddonado at wiliams though
is heikki any good jury is out on him ??? he is maybe 50/50
petrov 1000/1 for me
trulli and barrichello experts at f1 ???? and bargain price ???
i mean anybody who has won a championship in f1 is costly so williams on a budget ??? can do the trullli n barrichello option ???

Koz
13th November 2011, 03:40
What did you smoke?!
STR is miles better than Williams and would be a much better choice.

At this moment?
Yes, STR is a better team.

But, STR is a B team, who knows what will happen next year.

If it is a stop-gap measure for a ride in 2013... Sure. But not as a drive for more than that.

Williams may be doing badly, but next year with a Renault engine, things will definitely be better.
With Renault is sinking fast, Williams might just become their primary team in a year or two.

And with the cash coming in from Qatar...

They are a much better prospect.

zako85
13th November 2011, 10:30
At this moment?
Yes, STR is a better team.

But, STR is a B team, who knows what will happen next year.

If it is a stop-gap measure for a ride in 2013... Sure. But not as a drive for more than that.

Williams may be doing badly, but next year with a Renault engine, things will definitely be better.
With Renault is sinking fast, Williams might just become their primary team in a year or two.

Renault GP stopped being Renault's "primary team" years ago. They're not even owned by Renault. They were allowed to just keep the name due to the whole Lotus vs Lotus saga. Renault's "primary team" is RBR as long as it keeps doing well.

Koz
13th November 2011, 11:18
Renault GP stopped being Renault's "primary team" years ago. They're not even owned by Renault. They were allowed to just keep the name due to the whole Lotus vs Lotus saga. Renault's "primary team" is RBR as long as it keeps doing well.

Exactly.

But while Renault say they have no interest in doing anything other than providing engines, I think this might change if Williams can produce a decent car over the next two years.

ioan
13th November 2011, 12:34
Exactly.

But while Renault say they have no interest in doing anything other than providing engines, I think this might change if Williams can produce a decent car over the next two years.

Williams didn't produce a decent car since 2003 or so.
And why would Renault go with a decent car when they already have the best car using their engines?

F1boat
13th November 2011, 20:26
And why would Renault go with a decent car when they already have the best car using their engines?

Renault might try to simply crush the opposition as in mid 90s when they dominated with Williams AND Benetton. Not very likely, but I can see a strong Williams-Renault. But I am heavily biased - I love this combo because of sweet childhood memories from Damon and Nigel.

DexDexter
14th November 2011, 08:39
Renault might try to simply crush the opposition as in mid 90s when they dominated with Williams AND Benetton. Not very likely, but I can see a strong Williams-Renault. But I am heavily biased - I love this combo because of sweet childhood memories from Damon and Nigel.

To me the memories of Damon and particularly Nigel weren't that sweet. A totally dominate car with gismos that others didn't have dominating the ever so boring races. Each to his own I guess.

Koz
18th November 2011, 00:00
Well, this just got weird...

'Raikkonen wants equity in Williams' | Planet F1 | Formula One | News, Standings, Results, Features, Video (http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/18227/7313141/-Raikkonen-wants-equity-in-Williams-)

ccording to British motorsport journalist Joe Saward, it "is not as simple as most team-driver negotiations as I hear that Raikkonen is looking to acquire some equity in the team."

zako85
18th November 2011, 03:28
This is off-topic, but I personally don't care a lot about seeing Williams succeed or fail. In the 1990s, it seemed like the team that did not want to nurture its drivers. A contract was signed with Prost even though it was known that Mansell would not like it. Senna was signed for 1994 even though it was certain that Prost would quit if Senna is signed. Few years later, Damon Hill leaves the team under strange circumstances. The team attitude seemed to be more like "we have the best car, and the driver does not matter".. until finally they end up without the best car.. or driver.

zako85
18th November 2011, 03:37

It is not clear to what extent Renault, the company, was involved in converting Benetton to Renault engine. My understanding is that Benetton had to go out of its way to buy the Ligier team just to have access to the Renault engine. Earlier in 1992-1993 McLaren was desperate to have the Renault engine but they could not get it. In the end, right now I can see Renault being interested in having as many customer teams as possible because the economics of engine supply and demand have changed. It's now easier to provide multiple teams with engines than in the 80s and 90s.

555-04Q2
18th November 2011, 05:42

'Raikkonen wants equity in Williams' | Planet F1 | Formula One | News, Standings, Results, Features, Video (http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/18227/7313141/-Raikkonen-wants-equity-in-Williams-)

Ice-cream negotiations? Just what Williams needs :s arcastic:

AndyL
18th November 2011, 10:50

Well that's interesting. Sounds like Kimi is trying to lay plans for his future after retiring as a driver. It's been a while since we had a driver-turned-team-owner.

As a driver, having a financial stake in the team should remove any question marks about his commitment or motivation.

Knock-on
18th November 2011, 12:08
I wonder how Kimi would manage and motivate a driver like himself. Plenty of Ice-cream perhaps :D

555-04Q2
18th November 2011, 12:11
:laugh: :up:

AndyL
18th November 2011, 13:29
At least you know Kimi is not the sort of driver to lambast himself in the press for not building himself a quick enough car.

I foresee trouble if he starts ordering himself to allow his team-mate to pass though.

Dave B
18th November 2011, 17:30
According to British motorsport journalist Joe Saward, it "is not as simple as most team-driver negotiations as I hear that Raikkonen is looking to acquire some equity in the team."
I'm getting a tad distrustful of Joe Saward. He's a fine journalist but in recent months he seems to have caught Sky News Syndrome: in his desperation to be first with everything he's made some utter howlers; and (just like Pitpass which he hates so much) seems to occasionally get played by people who are looking to get their version of events into the public domain.

jens
18th November 2011, 17:38
If Räikkönen wants some equity in the team, perhaps this would indicate that he is looking to race for and generally contribute to Williams long-term instead of "warming up" for a top team drive in 2013? Or who knows, would he sell his stake on after 2012? :p : I remember Villeneuve was also a part-owner of BAR.

BDunnell
18th November 2011, 18:44
Well that's interesting. Sounds like Kimi is trying to lay plans for his future after retiring as a driver. It's been a while since we had a driver-turned-team-owner.

Many of them have ended in failure.

Nikki Katz
18th November 2011, 19:18
Oh dear, looks like their title sponsor's in trouble now. Unless Raikkonen's arrival attracts some big sponsors I get the feeling the second seat will go to Sutil or one of the GP2 drivers.

Koz
18th November 2011, 22:59
FORMULA ONE - F1: Boullier Admits Contact With Raikkonen's Manager (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-eric-boullier-admits-contact-with-kimi-raikkonens-manager/)

But Boullier also acknowledged that a "big name" driver would "help to make the car better," hence the Raikkonen question.

"Yes, there has been contact (with Raikkonen)," he told the interviewer. "Look at this call," added Boullier, holding up his mobile phone. "This was from his manager."

If this is true, Kimi must be fairly desperate...

Maybe he next we will hear him calling the other Lotus Renault next...

SGWilko
21st November 2011, 11:09
FORMULA ONE - F1: Boullier Admits Contact With Raikkonen's Manager (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-eric-boullier-admits-contact-with-kimi-raikkonens-manager/)

Didn't Renault play silly buggers with Kimi in late 2009?

Bagwan
21st November 2011, 18:06

"This was from his manager ."

Yeah , and it probably said "Thanks , but no thanks . Not unless you give me half of the team , to go along with the seat ."

That , with a little spin , fits with the idea of equity in the team .

555-04Q2
22nd November 2011, 05:09
"This was from his manager ."

Yeah , and it probably said "Thanks , but no thanks . Not unless you give me half of the team , to go along with the seat ."

That , with a little spin , fits with the idea of equity in the team .

I would love to hear Frank William's reply to that type of request :p :

ArrowsFA1
26th November 2011, 16:22
Martin Brundle has just said that Kimi will not be at Williams next year.

jens
26th November 2011, 17:32
Martin Brundle has just said that Kimi will not be at Williams next year.

Hmm, so that's how the rumour suddenly dies off similarly to late '09 about Kimi and McLaren. Guess Williams failed to get the Qatari sponsorship then?

truefan72
27th November 2011, 08:24
I do think that Kimi is itching to be back in F1 though.
Williams was always going to be a reach, since they would have had to give up a lot in order to sign him.
2013 might be an interesting and better year fro him to return.

I can fully see him joining mercedes, Ferrari, RBR (if conditions are right) Lotus ( former Renault) and even perhaps Force India or Sauber.
There will be some clear opportunities then. + turbo engines which dictate an all knew concept for F1 cars as well.

ioan
27th November 2011, 10:19
I can fully see him joining mercedes, Ferrari, RBR (if conditions are right) Lotus ( former Renault) and even perhaps Force India or Sauber.
There will be some clear opportunities then. + turbo engines which dictate an all knew concept for F1 cars as well.

Ferrari?
Didn't they kick him out?!
Imagine the great atmosphere would Kimi be stupid enough to return and be Alonso's puppy. :laugh:

jens
27th November 2011, 10:31
2013 might be an interesting and better year fro him to return.

With every passing year a comeback is going to be more and more difficult. That's why he needed to come back now even if it was 'merely' a Williams for 2012 - to prove himself again. At this rate we are not going to see him in F1 again unless he is prepared to "do a de la Rosa", become a reserve driver somewhere and hang around in F1 on a consistent basis.

djparky
27th November 2011, 15:02
I guess that means that Maldo & Sutil will be at Williams next year- a combo which is as exciting as watching paint dry.

jens
27th November 2011, 18:31
I guess that means that Maldo & Sutil will be at Williams next year- a combo which is as exciting as watching paint dry.

I'm more positive about that. Maldonado is inconsistent, but seems to have a tough character on track, getting penalties in the process. Historically some fan groups certainly like these kind of drivers and he would be more visible if the car was better. Sutil has had an impressive season and is certainly worthy of that drive.

markabilly
27th November 2011, 19:52
I don't blame Kimi for wanting 20 million Euros up front to drive for one year at Williams.

I myself would not even consider driving for Williams next year, unless the offer was at least 25 million euros....plus free vodka for all my friends on this forum.

Of course except for pino nino and staarter, I got none, and they don't drink nuthin but fine snobby wine

DexDexter
27th November 2011, 22:16
Ferrari?
Didn't they kick him out?!
Imagine the great atmosphere would Kimi be stupid enough to return and be Alonso's puppy. :laugh:

Yep, I mean even the people at Ferrari are not crazy enough to first pay a driver huge amounts of money not to race and then hire him back. :D

Knock-on
28th November 2011, 12:03
Yep, I mean even the people at Ferrari are not crazy enough to first pay a driver huge amounts of money not to race and then hire him back. :D

Hmmmmm, now you put it like , they are just stupid enough to do it :D

555-04Q2
28th November 2011, 13:31
So the "Ice Man" was unwilling to wash the windows at Williams then...

Knock-on
29th November 2011, 11:04
Bah, no English link? That means this is worthless news! ;)

Blimey ioan, you actually got something right for once ;)

djparky
29th November 2011, 19:18
I'm more positive about that. Maldonado is inconsistent, but seems to have a tough character on track, getting penalties in the process. Historically some fan groups certainly like these kind of drivers and he would be more visible if the car was better. Sutil has had an impressive season and is certainly worthy of that drive.

I just can't get excited about either- I'm a Williams supporter from the days of Alan Jones- to see them reduced to (likely) running 2 rent-a-rides in 2012- neither of whom will ever be a race winner let alone a championship contender is depressing. as for Sutil- he's been largely eclipsed by di Resta this year. Still they can only perform to the level of the car they've been given- since this years Williams is a s*** box then Maldo was never going to shine. I think I'm probably still annoyed they dumped the more talented Hulkenberg for someone with a wad of cash

jens
30th November 2011, 14:23
I just can't get excited about either- I'm a Williams supporter from the days of Alan Jones- to see them reduced to (likely) running 2 rent-a-rides in 2012- neither of whom will ever be a race winner let alone a championship contender is depressing. as for Sutil- he's been largely eclipsed by di Resta this year. Still they can only perform to the level of the car they've been given- since this years Williams is a s*** box then Maldo was never going to shine. I think I'm probably still annoyed they dumped the more talented Hulkenberg for someone with a wad of cash

So looking at the situation realistically, who would you get excited about in next year's Williams? Barrichello? Van der Garde? Buemi? Senna? Grosjean? Heidfeld?

Williams as a team has fallen so low that they can't easily attract 'popular' drivers any more, so the fans of the team ought to be content with 'merely' decent drivers as well.

I am evil Homer
30th November 2011, 14:29
Sutil and Barrichello is probably the strongest line up that looks likely to be available.

RS
30th November 2011, 14:34
Sutil and Barrichello is probably the strongest line up that looks likely to be available.

Not gonna happen unless the PDVSA deal goes tits up.

ShiftingGears
30th November 2011, 15:30

Williams are lucky to be in a situation where Sutil may drive for them next year. I wonder if having Sam Michael away from the design team will change Williams' fortunes.

djparky
2nd December 2011, 12:28
So looking at the situation realistically, who would you get excited about in next year's Williams? Barrichello? Van der Garde? Buemi? Senna? Grosjean? Heidfeld?

Williams as a team has fallen so low that they can't easily attract 'popular' drivers any more, so the fans of the team ought to be content with 'merely' decent drivers as well.

yes I know what the situation is and understand why they cannot attract an Alonso to the team. Raikkonen/ Barichello would have been more interesting- although that obviously won't happen. I'm hoping that Barichello will come back again next year.

F1boat
7th December 2011, 07:06
I hope that Rubens stays in Williams. I am not a fan of him, but still he had a good career and I will like to see him in a "Williams-Renault" car...

zako85
7th December 2011, 08:59

I also would like to see Sutil and Maldonado in Williams. It's more interesting to see whether Sutil can succeed instead of watching Barrichello keep trying to make his one last statement in sport before retiring..

It would be better for the team too. It seems like Williams is onto something with Renault engine and several new faces on staff. It may take a long time to produce good results, even if they do everything right. It seems like it would have been better to start working with a driver who is experienced, and yet young enough to continue driving should they want to develop a long term relationship with that driver.