PDA

View Full Version : Darlington Re-surface

muggle not
21st March 2007, 20:44
No, No, No......say it isn't so. Looks like Darlington will get re-surfaced. Wonder what Goodyear will do for tires.

http://autoracingsport.com/nascar/darlington-could-get-new-track-surface/

harvick#1
21st March 2007, 22:08
it should be after a chunk of the track hit Harv's radiator last year, its time to repave. just like what happened at Martinsville in 05

don't worry the track will start the weathering process and will be just like how it is now :)

tstran17_88
22nd March 2007, 02:41
It was mentioned on MRN that they're going to consult with the drivers, Goodyear and Nascar before repaving it...unlike Vegas.

harvick#1
22nd March 2007, 02:46
I think it was more of the banking that miffed the driversm at least thats I think what stewart was mad about

tstran17_88
22nd March 2007, 02:59
Stewart gets mad if he sees his own shadow though...

blakebeatty
22nd March 2007, 15:46
Stewart gets mad if he sees his own shadow though...

i certainly wouldn't make a decision with concern as to weather or not it would please tony stewart

RaceFanStan
22nd March 2007, 19:00
If Darlington follows some established construction practices the new track surface could be awesome ! :D

1st off, Darlington should mill the old surface down an inch or two (or more),
this would nearly level the surface & give them a start on getting a smooth finish ...
2nd, lay an one inch (average) Hot Mix Asphalt Patch & Leveling Course to fill any voids ...
3rd, instead of laying one six inch layer of HMA, lay three (3) two (2) inch layers ...
the secret to getting a smooth asphalt surface is multiple layers ...
(contractors like to take shortcuts & do it in one layer to save time)
if the layers remain clean, they will bond to each other & will not ravel or breakdown ...
another important factor is that proper compaction of EACH layer be maintained ...
if the paving is done correctly Darlington's speeds could increase dramatically.

The "Lady in Black" could become one of the best races of the season after it gets it's new surface.
I think the racing will be even better than it has been lately. :D
Track resurfacing can be a good thing IF it is done properly.

muggle not
22nd March 2007, 19:32
It can also be like Charlotte and Vegas. :)

The track probably does need resurfaced though.

muggle not
22nd March 2007, 19:32
It can also be like Charlotte and Vegas. :)

The track probably does need resurfaced though.

Hoss Ghoul
23rd March 2007, 05:51
What makes the surface at Darlington (and Rockingham) so good is the local asphalt mix, with its broken sea shells, etc. Also, the yearly sand blasting doesn't hurt.

If they use similar materials the resurfacing shouldn't change much, and we should still see the rapid tire wear that makes Darlington great.

muggle not
23rd March 2007, 13:45
What makes the surface at Darlington (and Rockingham) so good is the local asphalt mix, with its broken sea shells, etc. Also, the yearly sand blasting doesn't hurt.

If they use similar materials the resurfacing shouldn't change much, and we should still see the rapid tire wear that makes Darlington great.
You are correct hoss. A person stated that they once rubbed their hand on the track and the hand came up all bloody. The track is extremely abrasive from the mix that they use.

RaceFanStan
23rd March 2007, 15:32
There are some good polymer mixes being produced in other parts of the country.
The newer mixes have binder agents that extend the life of the asphalt.
The polymer binders also provide a mix that makes an extremely smooth surface.

I believe Texas Motor Speedway used a special polymer mix designed specifically for high speed racetracks.

I hope Darlington doesn't use the crushed seashell asphalt mix as it would be very abraisive. :eek:
Even with hard tires a crushed seashell asphalt mix would chew them up in very few laps. :s

tstran17_88
23rd March 2007, 17:25
I hope Darlington doesn't use the crushed seashell asphalt mix as it would be very abraisive. :eek:
Even with hard tires a crushed seashell asphalt mix would chew them up in very few laps. :s

But that's part of the mystique that makes Darlington special along with the shape of the track. I’d hate to loose that IMO.

Lee Roy
23rd March 2007, 19:50

I don't think they allow seashells in road surfaces anymore. But I could be wrong.

muggle not
24th March 2007, 00:34
But that's part of the mystique that makes Darlington special along with the shape of the track. I’d hate to loose that IMO.
Absolutely, I sure hope they don't screw around with different mixes and f-up what is now great racing.

Alexamateo
24th March 2007, 01:39
I don't think they allow seashells in road surfaces anymore. But I could be wrong.

I'm not sure, but since most concrete and asphalt is made with local aggregate, I am sure the sedimentary rocks in that part of South Carolina all contain seashells.

Lee Roy
24th March 2007, 14:13
I'm not sure, but since most concrete and asphalt is made with local aggregate, I am sure the sedimentary rocks in that part of South Carolina all contain seashells.

But I'm talking about grinding up seashells and putting them in the mix, not using rocks that may contain seashells.

We tried to repave the roads in one of our older facilities along the South Carolina coast a few years ago and were not allowed to replace it with the same mix containing seashells that had been used originally.

BobbyC
26th March 2007, 13:39
The new pavement wouldn't make a difference, since Darlington's configuration creates its racing style.

dont_be_jack
26th March 2007, 15:07
The new pavement wouldn't make a difference, since Darlington's configuration creates its racing style.

This is the exact thing I'm saying. The pavement needs to be replaced because, even though Darlington is a great race sometimes, it's only good racing for 5 laps and then it's single file because of the terrible tire wear. New surface, even if it's still a bit rough but not as rough as Darlington is now, and the same configuration will make a great race.