PDA

View Full Version : New Phoenix

call_me_andrew
7th October 2011, 05:13
http://www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/PIRLayout-01.SITE_.jpg

Does anyone else think this looks like old Nazareth? (maybe a little bigger)

http://venueimagecenter.com/NazarethSpeedway_small.jpg

Sparky1329
7th October 2011, 05:56
Nazareth was a nice track that offered really good racing. Phoenix looks very similar now.

Lee Roy
7th October 2011, 17:29
Nazareth and Phoenix always were similar, it's just that the start/finish lines were on the opposite sides of the track.

But then, I guess it depends on how exactly you define "similar".

00steven
8th October 2011, 23:35
What a shame that they ruined one of the best tracks.

POS_Maggott
9th October 2011, 04:46
What a shame that they ruined one of the best tracks.

How do you figure it's ruined? Nobody has raced there yet, they've only done a tire test.

00steven
9th October 2011, 13:27
How do you figure it's ruined? Nobody has raced there yet, they've only done a tire test.

Simple. They got rid of the dogleg.

wedge
9th October 2011, 14:59

Still a dogleg - on paper.

My judgement's reserved till the racing.

POS_Maggott
9th October 2011, 17:58

Which of course is the reason the racing has been good there? It's still there, they just added the possibility of a second groove, as opposed to the one real fast line through the corner before.

Lee Roy
10th October 2011, 00:07

Try looking at it with your glasses on. The dogleg is still there.

call_me_andrew
11th October 2011, 04:31

The old portion of the track is in yellow and black. They've made the dogleg bigger.

Unless you want to argue that they've made the dogleg into a distinct turn?

nigelred5
12th October 2011, 11:40
On paper the track outline is very similar, but Nazareth was far from flat and I don't believe the turns were banked as much as the reconfigured Phoenix. There was a fairly good elevation change from the crest of the hill exiting turn two down to the entrance of the dog leg turn 1.

Yet again, a track, (ISC in this case)is taking a good track and specifically tailoring it to NASCAR, rather than making the cars work better on the existing track. I guess they figure, if it isn't a tri-oval like Charlotte or Richmond, it must suck. I hear they are asking for the main straight at Indy to be reconfigured into a dogleg.....

wedge
12th October 2011, 14:03
I guess they figure, if it isn't a tri-oval like Charlotte or Richmond, it must suck.

An acceptable argument if the start/finish line was on the dogleg section with new stands and suites.

Lee Roy
13th October 2011, 15:25
Yet again, a track, (ISC in this case)is taking a good track and specifically tailoring it to NASCAR, rather than making the cars work better on the existing track. I guess they figure, if it isn't a tri-oval like Charlotte or Richmond, it must suck. I hear they are asking for the main straight at Indy to be reconfigured into a dogleg.....

Well, since NASCAR is the only one who races there and pays the bills . . . . . .

call_me_andrew
14th October 2011, 03:52
Well, since NASCAR is the only one who races there and pays the bills . . . . . .

It's still a bad decision in a hypothetical future where NASCAR has ceased being popular.

Lee Roy
14th October 2011, 05:45
It's still a bad decision in a hypothetical future where NASCAR has ceased being popular.

When NASCAR ceases to be popular, large oval race tracks will no longer be viable entities. What else would they be used for?

call_me_andrew
14th October 2011, 06:39
They'll be used for any racing series with an emphasis on large ovals that usurps NASCAR.

It's my hypothetical future. I'll have squirrles riding ostriches if I want!.

Lee Roy
14th October 2011, 13:34
They'll be used for any racing series with an emphasis on large ovals that usurps NASCAR.

It's my hypothetical future. I'll have squirrles riding ostriches if I want!.

That's cool. But in real world of today, there are no other racing series other than NASCAR that can draw enough people to make these large ovals finacially viable.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd October 2011, 07:21
I think there is nothing wrong with the new Phoenix, and we will see how different the racing is when they get there. I personally loved the old track, but I don't see this one as radically different. The dog leg is different and it is more of another corner...so maybe this will allow people do do different lines, but we shall see..

Lee Roy is partially right, NASCAR is the only ones paying the bills, but that doesn't mean an Indycar show couldn't work there...it is a flat track still.

As for it being like Nazerath, no...because the up and down nature of Nazerath almost made it feel like a road course with left turns...

Mr. Mister
26th October 2011, 00:32
This is the new Phoenix track I have seen. I don't know what those pictures in your first post are but it's from October 7 so it might be old information, and I think one picture is actually of Darlington. Anyway, this is the new Phoenix layout. I think it is really unique and innovative that NASCAR is bringing the racing to the people and running a street course. No other series in the world could do that. Just another innovation from NASCAR, and so soon after the last one where they invented a corn-based fuel called Ethanol.

http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/News/images/Phoenix2007.png

Lee Roy
26th October 2011, 13:29
This is the new Phoenix track I have seen. I don't know what those pictures in your first post are but it's from October 7 so it might be old information, and I think one picture is actually of Darlington. Anyway, this is the new Phoenix layout. I think it is really unique and innovative that NASCAR is bringing the racing to the people and running a street course. No other series in the world could do that. Just another innovation from NASCAR, and so soon after the last one where they invented a corn-based fuel called Ethanol.

Don't think that one will happen. Racing series race on streets for the same reason that buskers play their music on the streets, they can't attract enough people into a venue (a music hall for musicians and a race track for racing series). NASCAR has no problem attacting enough people to a race track. They don't have to race on the street.

00steven
26th October 2011, 13:57

No, I think your thinking of Indycar.

call_me_andrew
27th October 2011, 02:23
I think he's being facetious.

00steven
27th October 2011, 06:20
I think he's being facetious.

As was I...