PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Singapore GP Thread

steveaki13
19th September 2011, 22:49
I was sitting here bored and so thought it was time to open the official thread foir this weekend.

So what do you expect or think?

I know alot don't like Singapore, but although I don't enjoy the other modern circuits I for some reason always like this race, its different and a bumpy 2 hour challenge.

So there is my view.

CNR
20th September 2011, 04:24
if vettel is running first webber second and lewis 3rd mark will be told to let him pass you

Should he win the race, which would be his ninth victory of the campaign, and Alonso fail to finish on the podium and neither Mark Webber nor Jenson Button come home in second place, Vettel will snap up the title.
Formula 1 | Briatore: Vettel should stay at Red Bull | ESPNSTAR.com (http://www.espnstar.com/motorsport/f1/news/detail/item676827/Briatore:-Vettel-should-stay-at-Red-Bull/)

AndyL
20th September 2011, 10:45
if vettel is running first webber second and lewis 3rd mark will be told to let him pass you

:)
I'm sure that wouldn't happen, if for no other reason than that the constructor's championship is not quite a foregone conclusion yet.

Weather forecast is for chance of rain. IIRC we still don't know what will happen in a wet practice or qualy under the floodlights.

steveaki13
20th September 2011, 17:36
:)
I'm sure that wouldn't happen, if for no other reason than that the constructor's championship is not quite a foregone conclusion yet.

Weather forecast is for chance of rain. IIRC we still don't know what will happen in a wet practice or qualy under the floodlights.

Always seems to threaten rain, but because of the tropical area, the rain often seems to come at a certain time of day and so far in 3 years we haven't seen any rain in the race.

Brown, Jon Brow
20th September 2011, 19:31
Lewis is mighty quick over one lap at Signapore

jens
21st September 2011, 08:48
Mmmm, the main question about 2011 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix is whether Vettel can secure his second WDC. He is certainly a contender for a race win and if he achieves that he just needs to hope that other drivers behind him finish in a "correct" order. I personally think the main player, who can postpone Vettel's championship celebrations, is Alonso. Vettel needs him to finish outside podium, but considering how strong the Spaniard has been on that circuit so far (1st, 3rd and 1st) he is quite likely to finish in Top3 again.

Knock-on
21st September 2011, 12:10
I think we may get a washout of at least one session. Weather looks crap.

N4D13
21st September 2011, 18:09
Mmmm, the main question about 2011 SingTel Singapore Grand Prix is whether Vettel can secure his second WDC. He is certainly a contender for a race win and if he achieves that he just needs to hope that other drivers behind him finish in a "correct" order. I personally think the main player, who can postpone Vettel's championship celebrations, is Alonso. Vettel needs him to finish outside podium, but considering how strong the Spaniard has been on that circuit so far (1st, 3rd and 1st) he is quite likely to finish in Top3 again.
Even after considering that the Ferrari is well behind McLaren and Red Bull, I would expect Alonso to get a podium in here. He's supreme at Singapore (yes, we all know about what happened in 2008, but is he GOOD around there). I wouldn't be surprised to see him qualifying better than usual, and as overtaking is extremely difficult there, a fine strategy could allow him to get another podium. Strategy isn't Ferrari's main strength this year, but even so, they've got it right more often than they haven't. It's just that we only remember when then don't.

Knock-on
23rd September 2011, 10:41
Even after considering that the Ferrari is well behind McLaren and Red Bull,

Really? Are you following this season? The Ferrari is well behind the McLaren :confused:

Dave B
23rd September 2011, 11:01
I think we may get a washout of at least one session. Weather looks crap.

Not as crap as the kerbs... :s

F1boat
23rd September 2011, 11:33
I would enjoy a victory of Vettel and podium finishes of Fernando Alonso and Michael Schumacher. :-) I'd love a victory of either MS or Alonso, although either are highly unlikely. I would be happy for Jenson, too :-)

Allyc85
23rd September 2011, 12:26
Red flag again! This really isnt good enough!

AndyL
23rd September 2011, 12:27
Not as crap as the kerbs... :s

Yes it's looking like a bit of a farce isn't it. I wonder why they've suddenly started having problems with them when they've been OK in previous years.

AndyL
24th September 2011, 13:12
There's a big spread in times here in practice. The Mercs in 6th and 7th 1.75s off the pace. The last 4 in P3 are outside 107%. At least Alonso and the McLarens are looking like they might be able to give the Red Bulls a race. Although I fear if Vettel manages to string together 3 good sectors on his qualy lap lap he'll leave the rest half a second behind.

nigelred5
24th September 2011, 14:48
Man, those Lotus Renaults look sharp under the lights!

Tell the drivers to stay off the kerbs an there won't be a problem. ;)

Koz
24th September 2011, 14:53
Renault looks very slow... Scary slow. :(

Koz
24th September 2011, 14:56

But would he do it?

truefan72
24th September 2011, 16:12
so mclaren looses sight of the time and fail to send Hamilton out for a 2nd run in Q3, simply idiotic

ioan
24th September 2011, 16:24
so mclaren looses sight of the time and fail to send Hamilton out for a 2nd run in Q3, simply idiotic

Because he did have another set of super soft tires available?

Koz
24th September 2011, 16:24

Hamilton says a refueling problem, methinks they were just saving tyres because of the puncture... I don't see how it makes it idiotic...

jens
24th September 2011, 17:18
Hmm, sad about Kobayashi. :( His and Sauber's second half of the season is really being quite miserable, Kamui is currently going through a low in his F1 career.

Impressed at how close Button has managed to be to Hamilton in qualifyings this year, considering, how far off he was at times last year.

Renault has been quite miserable on street circuits this year (also at Monaco and Valencia). They should - and I suppose they are trying to do that currently in the design office - design a more consistent car for 2012 across different circuits. Like RBR has managed for 2011.

The Black Knight
24th September 2011, 18:17
I'm far from impressed with Singapore this year. Loose kerbs, bolts sticking out of kerbs, a puncture for Hamilton from probably hitting one of those kerbs. They removed a kerb from a corner yesterday and communicated incorrectly to the teams which corner it was that they removed it. Overall I'm unimpressed and personally I feel mistakes like this are unacceptable and the Singapore authorities should receive a hefty fine for not having the circuit up to scratch in time.

DexDexter
24th September 2011, 19:58
Bruno Senna outqualified Petrov yet again, it's now 2-1. A good effort, it's really difficult to jump into a car in the middle of the season.

Knock-on
24th September 2011, 21:07
I'm far from impressed with Singapore this year. Loose kerbs, bolts sticking out of kerbs, a puncture for Hamilton from probably hitting one of those kerbs. They removed a kerb from a corner yesterday and communicated incorrectly to the teams which corner it was that they removed it. Overall I'm unimpressed and personally I feel mistakes like this are unacceptable and the Singapore authorities should receive a hefty fine for not having the circuit up to scratch in time.

Fair points. Not too sure what caused the puncture but I was screaming at the telly when they just brushed the CF to the edge of the barrier so it would get sucked back on track :angryfire :

Knock-on
24th September 2011, 21:07
Bruno Senna outqualified Petrov yet again, it's now 2-1. A good effort, it's really difficult to jump into a car in the middle of the season.

:up: Surprised me as well.

truefan72
24th September 2011, 21:50

That may be, but the race is what matters and Petrov has got the better of him so far

truefan72
24th September 2011, 21:51
Hamilton says a refueling problem, methinks they were just saving tyres because of the puncture... I don't see how it makes it idiotic...

well it turns out to be a refueling problem, but at that time it seemed like they along with MSC got their timing wrong

N4D13
24th September 2011, 22:28
That may be, but the race is what matters and Petrov has got the better of him so far
As far as I remember, they haven't had a straight fight. Petrov was taken out in Monza and Senna crashed into Alguersuari in Belgium, so there's no basis for a direct comparison between their race performances.

Koz
25th September 2011, 08:30
but at that time it seemed like they along with MSC got their timing wrong

Why would you think anyone got their timing wrong? There was no point in Mike running unless the FIs ran.

Knock-on
25th September 2011, 11:48
Fair points. Not too sure what caused the puncture but I was screaming at the telly when they just brushed the CF to the edge of the barrier so it would get sucked back on track :angryfire :

It seems that this debris did indeed cause the puncture. Fecking ridiculous :(

So, Hamilton loses a set of tyres and has his race strategy compromised just because some Marshall's don't have adequate training in how to do their job.

Big :down: to the FIA who at this point are front runners for the Donkey of the race before the start. It is their job to ensure the track is safe and they also had the option of allowing Lewis a replacement tyre of the same age for the race but didn't. Gross inconsistency yet again :(

truefan72
25th September 2011, 15:05
So Hamilton gets a penalty but rosberg gets nothing

F1boat
25th September 2011, 17:30
Nico is usually very honest driver. Lewis crashes all the time.

Dave B
25th September 2011, 17:37
Nico is usually very honest driver. Lewis crashes all the time.

So?

Each incident should be looked at in isolation and judged on the facts.

F1boat
25th September 2011, 17:44
I don't think so. When a driver very often causes collisions, he should be punished. When he is usually honest, I think that it is good if he is forgiven...
BTW, I liked the race. It was interesting and Vettel drove very well :) The final laps were very interesting.

The Black Knight
25th September 2011, 17:55
I don't think so. When a driver very often causes collisions, he should be punished. When he is usually honest, I think that it is good if he is forgiven...
BTW, I liked the race. It was interesting and Vettel drove very well :) The final laps were very interesting.

Which is why I'm glad people like you are not in the Steward's room.

steveaki13
25th September 2011, 22:11
I was watching the race with my Dad today and when Alguersuari crashed at the end, he called the car a

Tosser-ro rather than Toro Rosso. :laugh: Some people :crazy:

ioan
25th September 2011, 23:47
As far as I remember, they haven't had a straight fight. Petrov was taken out in Monza and Senna crashed into Alguersuari in Belgium, so there's no basis for a direct comparison between their race performances.

That's a rather good comparison of them though.

ioan
25th September 2011, 23:48
So Hamilton gets a penalty but rosberg gets nothing

Fair enough, Rosberg gained a position by punting out Perez.

The Black Knight
26th September 2011, 14:22
Meanwhile, elsewhere, Fernandes wet dream took life when Heikki came before Petrov...

AndyL
26th September 2011, 14:40
Meanwhile, elsewhere, Fernandes wet dream took life when Heikki came before Petrov...

Is that the first time one of the new teams has beaten an established team "on merit" as it were? I think it might be. The Lotuses beat Rubens in Spa, but he had to pit for a new front wing.

The Black Knight
26th September 2011, 14:44
Is that the first time one of the new teams has beaten an established team "on merit" as it were? I think it might be. The Lotuses beat Rubens in Spa, but he had to pit for a new front wing.

Yep, as far as I know it is. I can't think of any other race it has happened.

jens
26th September 2011, 15:04
Yep, as far as I know it is. I can't think of any other race it has happened.

IIRC Kovalainen beat Maldonado in China. I think that was pretty much on merit.

MadDan
26th September 2011, 15:11
hamilton once a gain shows that he can not race W.A.F.W
how dose he get away with this time after time for him to sit out a race