PDA

View Full Version : WRC: How is it funded?

olschl
4th September 2011, 20:26
This question comes out of my following the Open Letter to Colin Clark thread which I didn't want to include this post in as it was pretty far off the original topic. Being from America, and not having grown up with the WRC through the years, I really have a hard time understanding how the series is funded. Rallying in general seems to be a tough sport to support as there are no closed-in arenas where you can charge exorbitant prices for food/drink as is done in European/American football for example. Who pays for the stage prep and all the logistics that go into setting up the infrastructure to run the rally? Is this all covered in entry fees by the teams? Do the locales fund a portion of the cost? Where is the revenue stream for the WRC? I understands it's easy to be negative on certain aspects of the WRC but in the end, expenses need to be covered. Enlightenment appreciated.

N.O.T
4th September 2011, 20:33
Entry fees mainly, sponsors of each event and sometime by the goverment of each country through funds from the althletic commision budget.

driveace
4th September 2011, 20:53
Well the last few RAC rallies have been held in Wales,because of lots of funding from the Welsh Tourist Board,as the rally brings a lot of money into the country,from visitors coming to see and partake in the rally,hopefully we can have it back to where it should be in Yorkshire !

darkstar
4th September 2011, 21:52
on some events, like germany, people need to pay entry too. especially when you go to spectator areas ;)

GigiGalliNo1
5th September 2011, 02:19
Greece it's FREE for spectators!

Ahhhh.... that would be nice to go to Greece and see Greece and help the tourism!

Pfft... don't bother with Australia. You'll get ripped off with tickets! haha

Mark
5th September 2011, 10:20
Most of the money does indeed come from sponsorship. And as said a lot of rallies do charge for entry.

Maui J.
5th September 2011, 11:01
A naming rights sponsors goes a long way towards funding and the payment of key personal. Those that spend months organising the route, talking to the local farmers and residents about road closures, general administration, opening ceremonies and prize giving etc. Further down the organisational ladder most of the work comes from volunteers from various car club. Basically it runs on the smell of an oily rag.
Rally NZ charge an entry as well, roughly 10 Euro for the day, but a large portion of this (50% I believe) goes back to the local community.

mousti
6th September 2011, 08:52
In France also no tickets to pay because they aren't of the government but the most rallies have tickets and it's not so bad in Organisations need money because so many sponsors aren't there.

Co-driven
6th September 2011, 16:28
The teams have to pay an entry fee on each event? What is the cost of that?

N.O.T
6th September 2011, 16:43
around 3000-5000 for privateers and around double that for teams i think depending on the event.

Maui J.
7th September 2011, 10:36
There is usually 2 entry fees for a WRC event. One being for entrants who display the event sponsors logos on their cars and a more expensive fee for those that don't.
The factory teams usually choose to pay the more expensive fee so they don't to have to display logos that may cover up, and also conflict, with their own sponsors livery.

bowler
10th September 2011, 02:29
Entry fees for private entrants vary and are all detailed in the event regulations which will be found on each event's website.

The WRC teams and FIA Championship entrants pay a fixed fee to each organiser, set by the FIA and paid to the organiser.