PDA

View Full Version : Coulthard Sets Fastest Lap at Austin

Rollo
23rd August 2011, 14:18
F1 2011 - Red Bull demo at the Circuit of the Americas - Coulthard on the dirt track - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVxQzseaUb8)

I saw one photograph in the newspaper yesterday and thought that it must have been photoshopped. Turns out that Coulthard really did drive an F1 car in the dirt.

The track looks like it might have variations in height which could be interesting, and there's also the possibility that this is the first Tilke track that doesn't suck.

Retro Formula 1
23rd August 2011, 15:48
Track looks a bit green. I suspect the lap times will come down a bit once it rubbers in :D

CaptainRaiden
23rd August 2011, 17:48
That has to be one of the weirdest and stupidest demo runs I have ever seen. What was the point?

tfp
23rd August 2011, 18:11
He may be an old fart now, but he's still got it :D

ioan
23rd August 2011, 21:21
That has to be one of the weirdest and stupidest demo runs I have ever seen. What was the point?

Marketing! Any other smart questions?! LOL

BDunnell
23rd August 2011, 22:05

Why stupid? I think it's rather interesting.

CaptainRaiden
24th August 2011, 07:39
Marketing! Any other smart questions?! LOL

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101122173108/spore/images/f/fa/CaptainObvious.jpg

Okay genius, now that we've gotten past the initial douchebaggery, how about understanding my question this time? Let me expand and simplify it for you, for your convenience. What's the point of doing a marketing run on an unfinished track where the F1 car can hardly move, and there's not a soul in sight? I don't think this would make sense to even the most creative and brightest marketing managers.

CaptainRaiden
24th August 2011, 07:48
Why stupid? I think it's rather interesting.

IMO it's pointless. The F1 car can hardly move on the dirt track, so it's not a very interesting spectacle, and I don't think I saw a single spectator there. I find other demo runs quite useless as well, where the F1 car goes slowly in a straight line, does some donuts, people cheer, well, whoop-de-doo. Another one was them running the F1 car on sand in the Dominican Republic last year. Quite lame. But I guess there are not many other marketing options available to F1 teams.

The only thing interesting was when Red Bull did that pit-stop with Webber at the parliament square, that was mildly interesting. This run at Austin was just dull.

F1boat
24th August 2011, 10:43
What about Tom Cruise driving? He is popular...

edv
24th August 2011, 15:20
Coulthard did drive the Red Bull around on the streets of downtown Austin in front of a lot of spectators, which I expect was the actual marketing purpose of the trip.
The jaunt on the unfinished track was probably an amusing afterthought.

Bagwan
24th August 2011, 15:44
Coulthard did drive the Red Bull around on the streets of downtown Austin in front of a lot of spectators, which I expect was the actual marketing purpose of the trip.
The jaunt on the unfinished track was probably an amusing afterthought.

First lap of the track is a good enough reason to go there , paved or not .
Makes as much sense , and as much spectacle as driving on a frozen lake . Maybe more spectacle , as there might have been a few more spectators , as they wouldn't be freezing thier nuts off .

I mean , why not , eh ?
It got all of us talking about it .

By the way , are you the edv from the Holmes site ?

gloomyDAY
25th August 2011, 00:19
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101122173108/spore/images/f/fa/CaptainObvious.jpg

Okay genius, now that we've gotten past the initial douchebaggery, how about understanding my question this time? Let me expand and simplify it for you, for your convenience. What's the point of doing a marketing run on an unfinished track where the F1 car can hardly move, and there's not a soul in sight? I don't think this would make sense to even the most creative and brightest marketing managers.Relax there Captain Buzzkill.

People are just tryin' to have a little bit of fun.

TheFamousEccles
25th August 2011, 01:01
When DC was driving on the paved sections of road, I was expecting tumbleweeds to roll across the view.

I can't imagine the car enjoyed that little run one bit. It would have been funny if they put some big, knobby air-bag tyres on it and raised the ride height for the dirt/construction site.

Oh, another thought. Maybe RBR should set the thing up with uneven sized tyres and a huge wing over the cockpit for a speedway style blast - imagine that!

Ok, I will stop now - but having the ways and means to fool around with an F1 car out of it's natual environment would be a great thing.

Rollo
25th August 2011, 01:14
Okay genius, now that we've gotten past the initial douchebaggery, how about understanding my question this time? Let me expand and simplify it for you, for your convenience. What's the point of doing a marketing run on an unfinished track where the F1 car can hardly move, and there's not a soul in sight?

What's the point? I first read about this in the Illawarra Mercury. If it's even made the pages of a provincial two-bit rag then it's mission accomplished as far as publicity is concerned.

I don't think this would make sense to even the most creative and brightest marketing managers.

Red Bull company figures :: Red Bull (http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/company-figures/001242939605518?pcs_c=PCS_Product&pcs_cid=1242937556133)

Considering that Red Bull sold over 4 billion cans of modified fizzy drink and returned a profit of €3.785bn, I think that the results prove your claim wrong. Obviously it did make sense to their marketing managers, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_D-2czMKmo)

CaptainRaiden
25th August 2011, 05:24
Relax there Captain Buzzkill.

People are just tryin' to have a little bit of fun.

Thanks looneyLAY. I just don't think it's fun. Problem?

CaptainRaiden
25th August 2011, 05:34
What's the point? I first read about this in the Illawarra Mercury. If it's even made the pages of a provincial two-bit rag then it's mission accomplished as far as publicity is concerned.

Many better ways to spend their money and resources and still do an awesome job of marketing their product IMHO. Besides huge multinational companies pay crazy money to get their products placed on the front page. And while it may look good in pictures, certainly didn't look good in the video. Or maybe I just have way too high expectations.

Red Bull company figures :: Red Bull (http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/company-figures/001242939605518?pcs_c=PCS_Product&pcs_cid=1242937556133)

Considering that Red Bull sold over 4 billion cans of modified fizzy drink and returned a profit of €3.785bn, I think that the results prove your claim wrong. Obviously it did make sense to their marketing managers, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_D-2czMKmo)

I didn't say ALL of their marketing plans suck. I thought only this one was poor, and I don't expect it to trouble the 4 billion figure any time soon. And just because their marketing managers have done brilliantly before, doesn't mean they can't fail once.

I wouldn't buy their canned beverage or think, "Ooh, Red Bull is cool," just because they drove their F1 car on dirt. They could have done it like at Yeongam, after the first layer of tarmac was laid, when Chandhok drove it. At least you get to see the track. Here, there was nothing to see, just an F1 car struggling at 20 mph.

TheFamousEccles
25th August 2011, 07:37
Ok Captain, you've made your (somewhat laboured) point. Time to move on?

CaptainRaiden
25th August 2011, 08:15
Ok Captain, you've made your (somewhat laboured) point. Time to move on?

Not that I don't appreciate advices from complete strangers on whether or not I should continue posting my thoughts on a public discussion forum, but I believe I've already moved on. :)

airshifter
25th August 2011, 12:47
The more they open exposure to the track, the more interest will grow. As things progress I'm sure we will see a lot more about the track and more videos and such floating around.

Smart money would be to get some of the NASCAR drivers previously in F1 out on the track in a car once it's paved. Better yet a seat swap type thing where they take both an F1 car and a NASCAR car to the track. Time for JPM to make a run or two. :)

raybak
25th August 2011, 14:11
Looking forward to the first race there, may even head over for it.

I think a good marketing move to run the Red Bull car there, keeps the locals happy and therefore the local voters. If you don't keep the locals happy you may end up with a circuit with some severe restrictions.

Ray

CaptainRaiden
25th August 2011, 16:37
Smart money would be to get some of the NASCAR drivers previously in F1 out on the track in a car once it's paved. Better yet a seat swap type thing where they take both an F1 car and a NASCAR car to the track. Time for JPM to make a run or two. :)

I would absolutely LOVE to see that. I liked it when Lewis and Stewart swapped their cars at Watkins Glen. That was something really interesting, and I bet something like that would be huge publicity for the Austin track once it's nearing completion. Also a bonus would be to see JPM in an F1 car again, if he could fit in that is. :D Regardless, I've always been his fan.

ioan
25th August 2011, 18:31
Okay genius, now that we've gotten past the initial douchebaggery, how about understanding my question this time? Let me expand and simplify it for you, for your convenience. What's the point of doing a marketing run on an unfinished track where the F1 car can hardly move, and there's not a soul in sight? I don't think this would make sense to even the most creative and brightest marketing managers.

Sorry mate, you are having some big holes in your thinking.
We talk again when you reach genius level, most probably never. :laugh:

There is obviously a reason why Mateschitz is a billionaire while you are trolling around! LOLz

CaptainRaiden
25th August 2011, 19:00
Sorry mate, you are having some big holes in your thinking.
We talk again when you reach genius level, most probably never. :laugh:

There is obviously a reason why Mateschitz is a billionaire while you are trolling around! LOLz

You took the "genius" thing seriously, eh Sherlock? :laugh:

The biggest troll in this forum's history accuses me of trolling. I MUST be doing something wrong! :eek:

Oh yeah, and Mateschitz is a billionaire because of stupid publicity stunts and running F1 cars on dirt, not because of a canned beverage that gives you a heart attack. :rolleyes:

ioan
25th August 2011, 19:46
Oh yeah, and Mateschitz is a billionaire because of stupid publicity stunts and running F1 cars on dirt, not because of a canned beverage that gives you a heart attack. :rolleyes:

Thanks for proving my point! :D

CaptainRaiden
25th August 2011, 21:53
Thanks for proving my point! :D

Troll, troll some more. ;) :up:

Rollo
26th August 2011, 00:26

Mateschitz IS a billionaire because of stupid publicity stunts.

The actual product itself can't cost any more than about 11p to produce.

Marketing expenses such as owning F1 Teams, football clubs, running soapbox derbies, air races and flugtags etc. etc. etc. is all about convincing people to pay an exorbitant premium for that "canned beverage that gives you a heart attack". In fact that canned beverage is almost an incidental expense.

CaptainRaiden
26th August 2011, 07:45
Mateschitz IS a billionaire because of stupid publicity stunts.

The actual product itself can't cost any more than about 11p to produce.

Marketing expenses such as owning F1 Teams, football clubs, running soapbox derbies, air races and flugtags etc. etc. etc. is all about convincing people to pay an exorbitant premium for that "canned beverage that gives you a heart attack". In fact that canned beverage is almost an incidental expense.

Gawd, am I speaking in another language? Why is it so difficult to get my point across? Where did I say their "other" publicity stunts are not effective? I only talked about stupid ones like at Austin not bothering their income figures one bit. Here, let me quote myself again:

Oh yeah, and Mateschitz is a billionaire because of stupid publicity stunts and running F1 cars on dirt, not because of a canned beverage that gives you a heart attack.

I'm perfectly aware of how all of Red Bull's other activities boost their sales figures, the things that you mentioned above + sponsoring everything that has to do with racing or speed, almost present in every goddamn racing series, sponsoring more drivers and teams than any other company I can think of. And yes, I also believe their other marketing strategies to be genius as well, which brings the company lots of exposure and publicity.

I'm only talking about "THIS" run at Austin as being a waste of money and resources, because IMHO it was stupid. I'm not calling ALL of their other marketing strategies stupid. Like I said earlier in one of my posts, I liked stuff like the pit stop at Parliament Square in London? This is a distinction you have to make. And ioan too before he goes on stating the obvious again.

The Black Knight
26th August 2011, 12:56
Tom Cruise drives Red Bull in America | Formula One Video and Audio | ESPN.co.uk (http://www.espn.co.uk/formulaone/sport/video_audio/107873.html)

Video of Tom Cruise in a Red Bull.

ioan
26th August 2011, 15:43
Gawd, am I speaking in another language?

Saddly no!

airshifter
28th August 2011, 05:44
Gawd, am I speaking in another language? Why is it so difficult to get my point across? Where did I say their "other" publicity stunts are not effective? I only talked about stupid ones like at Austin not bothering their income figures one bit. Here, let me quote myself again:

I'm perfectly aware of how all of Red Bull's other activities boost their sales figures, the things that you mentioned above + sponsoring everything that has to do with racing or speed, almost present in every goddamn racing series, sponsoring more drivers and teams than any other company I can think of. And yes, I also believe their other marketing strategies to be genius as well, which brings the company lots of exposure and publicity.

I'm only talking about "THIS" run at Austin as being a waste of money and resources, because IMHO it was stupid. I'm not calling ALL of their other marketing strategies stupid. Like I said earlier in one of my posts, I liked stuff like the pit stop at Parliament Square in London? This is a distinction you have to make. And ioan too before he goes on stating the obvious again.

Do you have anything other than your opinion to substantiate that this was a waste of money? Along with the videos taken at the track, the car was also driven in downtown Austin. Here in the US it has generated a decent amount of media coverage considering what little was actually done. And in terms of marketing media coverage generates huge return due to the fact that it uses mostly the resources of others to promote the event.

Daniel
28th August 2011, 12:55

Not a person in sight? You do realise that people don't need to actually be there for there to be marketing value. You do realise these days that we have these things called video cameras which can record the moment which you can then watch later on your TV, PC or phone.

Daniel
28th August 2011, 12:57
Do you have anything other than your opinion to substantiate that this was a waste of money? Along with the videos taken at the track, the car was also driven in downtown Austin. Here in the US it has generated a decent amount of media coverage considering what little was actually done. And in terms of marketing media coverage generates huge return due to the fact that it uses mostly the resources of others to promote the event.

If an F1 car is driven and CaptainRaiden isn't there to see it in person, does it actually make a sound? :dozey:

CaptainRaiden
28th August 2011, 14:00
Not a person in sight? You do realise that people don't need to actually be there for there to be marketing value. You do realise these days that we have these things called video cameras which can record the moment which you can then watch later on your TV, PC or phone.

Blah blah blah. Sometimes I can't tell you and ioan apart. If only getting an F1 car to a certain place is good marketing, then this was brilliant marketing. Who cares if it wasn't an interesting spectacle? And what are these vdeio camelas that you talk about? Is it better than oil painting? :eek:

I'd better get my wooden bucket of corn niblets out to watch an F1 car struggling at 20 mph on dirt in the middle of wilderness on the interwebs. :andrea:

If people think this was interesting, fair enough. In my "opinion", it was stupid. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Tumbo
28th August 2011, 14:05
so stupid that it lead to u wondering why in the hell they would do something like that...............cause u sitting here talking about what went on means that u took NO notice of the event; marketing fail there

Daniel
28th August 2011, 14:06
so stupid that it lead to u wondering why in the hell they would do something like that...............cause u sitting here talking about what went on means that u took NO notice of the event; marketing fail there

But if one person on a forum doesn't like it then surely that represents the opinions of the other 6 billion people on this rock? :p

ioan
28th August 2011, 15:36
Blah blah blah. Sometimes I can't tell you and ioan apart. If only getting an F1 car to a certain place is good marketing, then this was brilliant marketing. Who cares if it wasn't an interesting spectacle? And what are these vdeio camelas that you talk about? Is it better than oil painting? :eek:

I'd better get my wooden bucket of corn niblets out to watch an F1 car struggling at 20 mph on dirt in the middle of wilderness on the interwebs. :andrea:

If people think this was interesting, fair enough. In my "opinion", it was stupid. I'd rather watch paint dry.

:rotflmao:

ioan
28th August 2011, 15:36
If an F1 car is driven and CaptainRaiden isn't there to see it in person, does it actually make a sound? :dozey:

:up: Made my day! :D

Dave B
28th August 2011, 15:48
All these people talking about Red Bull....

I'd say it worked.

Daniel
28th August 2011, 15:49
All these people talking about Red Bull....

I'd say it worked.

No it didn't! Because I say it didn't! In fact there is no thread here and that mixed grill you posted on facebook actually ate you! (I'm guessing you were in mother Russia at the time) FACT!

donKey jote
28th August 2011, 15:53
watching that vid made me feel like a red bull :erm: :p

Daniel
28th August 2011, 15:55

Don't make me tell you that it doesn't *glares menacingly at donks*

CaptainRaiden
28th August 2011, 17:53

That video is bull alright.

ioan
28th August 2011, 18:51

Donkey to Bull, you're doing great on the evolution ladder! ;) :p

Daniel
28th August 2011, 18:51
Donkey to Bull, you're doing great on the evolution ladder! ;) :p

Red Donks gives you wind! :p

donKey jote
28th August 2011, 19:58
Tomorrow it's Red Donks in a gullwing :D

Daniel
28th August 2011, 20:10
Tomorrow it's Red Donks in a gullwing :D

Picture on facebook? :p

donKey jote
28th August 2011, 20:13
It's bad form and frowned upon as we're not really supposed to post pics but...

... might do :p