PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Silly Season

CNR
10th August 2011, 00:43
Paul di Resta could be in the running for a race seat at
Mercedes next season if Michael Schumacher retires

FORMULA ONE - F1: Mercedes Interested In Di Resta? (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-mercedes-interested-in-paul-di-resta/)

The report said Kubica is now able to walk independently as he awaits a further operation to improve the functionality of his elbow later this month.
FORMULA ONE - F1: Kubica Recovery 'A Miracle' Says Friend (http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-robert-kubica-recovery-a-miracle-says-friend/)

Bahrain requested 2012 date change
Bahrain requested 2012 date change - Bernie Ecclestone | Bahrain Grand Prix | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1 (http://en.espnf1.com/bahrain/motorsport/story/56349.html)

Bernie Ecclestone has revealed that his recent suggestion to move the 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix from March to November was at the request of Bahrainis.

CNR
10th August 2011, 00:50
Domenicali: Alonso 'better' than Schumacher in some respects
Domenicali: Alonso 'better' than Schumacher in some respects | F1 News | Aug 2011 | Crash.Net (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/171961/1/domenicali_alonso_better_than_schumacher_in_some_r espects.html)
Silly Season or Domenicali on on drugs ?

Koz
10th August 2011, 06:50
“I see a lot of similarities with Michael Schumacher, a driver who made his mark on our history. In fact, in some areas Fernando is even better, for example when I think of the speed with which he integrated himself into the team and the way he became its leader. In this, he was much quicker than Michael, who took a while to do that.”

Strange, didn't Mike bring half of Benetton with him when he came??

Likewise Alonso brought enough funding to pay Raikkonen for a year to sit out... I am not sure if that should be classed as an integration or a takeover...

i_max2k2
12th August 2011, 06:39
My love for Domenicali just increased 10 folds.

Mia 01
12th August 2011, 22:49
Wil Lewis drive for Ferrari next year?

Koz
13th August 2011, 08:45

Absolutely.

jens
1st September 2011, 20:47
Very silent here for some reason. :p :

It looks like for the third year in a row Top4 teams will keep the same line-ups. I am not sure if this has ever happened before, but I guess with the 2010 silly season all the major teams managed to find a good balance. And if Kubica stayed fit, Renault would have remained unchanged as well. Although I personally have to say that I'm not fond of Massa holding up that Ferrari drive forever any more - he has been too underwhelming for too long by now.

I hope Grosjean can come back to F1 and considering that Bouiller is quite positive about him, it seems likely. I have been supportive of RG for several years already and while I don't quite expect him to be a future WDC, I still think he is fast and a deserving addition to the grid of F1, as evidenced by the impressive current GP2 campaign. But which team? If there isn't room in Renault, then what about Williams and I wouldn't even mind if he replaced Trulli at Lotus. But looks like Trulli has re-signed and he would need to bring sponsors for the Williams seat. In Renault it will be between him and Senna (if Kubica doesn't return) and it could be down to money also, especially if Senna impresses.

Wonder, which two drivers out of three will Force India choose for 2012? Early in the season I thought Sutil is going to be dropped in favour of Hülkenberg, but as Adrian has managed to up his game in summer, it is now hard to find arguments as to why he should be replaced. And in this case, what will happen to Hulk?! Two consecutive years without a race drive in F1 will be a significant setback and I remember he has even said that in this case he could join IndyCar or another series, where he can actually race.

Williams is another interesting case. It looks more and more likely that they will have two paydrivers in 2012. Current GP2 runner-up van der Garde has been rumoured, but also Senna. Or if Sutil gets ousted by FI, he can bring Medion money with him. Perhaps Grosjean can bring discount on Renault engines. Remains to be seen, who can make the best offer.

And what about Toro Rosso, especially in the light of recent management reshuffle? It looks like both current drivers are pushing really hard to prove their place in F1 and actually seem to be doing sort of a decent job, but as neither is able to beat the other properly, it will be difficult to choose between them. Surely Ricciardo should finally step up into a better team. And Vergne is waiting on the wings also.

52Paddy
1st September 2011, 23:13

No but he's considering the option as test driver i.e. a driver who tests the car at race weekends.

Mia 01
2nd September 2011, 08:49
No but he's considering the option as test driver i.e. a driver who tests the car at race weekends.

OK, he will be just fine then.

The Black Knight
2nd September 2011, 08:51
Strange, didn't Mike bring half of Benetton with him when he came??

Likewise Alonso brought enough funding to pay Raikkonen for a year to sit out... I am not sure if that should be classed as an integration or a takeover...

Just talk from Domenicalli. It is in his interests to bolster Fernando Alonso's stock and the same with Briatore. Personally, I don't regard Alonso as better than Schumacher. How could you after a rookie beat him in 2007?

Alonso is a great driver but he is no Schumacher and he shall definitely not be a 7 time WDC.

CaptainRaiden
2nd September 2011, 09:44
Alonso is a great driver but he is no Schumacher and he shall definitely not be a 7 time WDC.

If Ferrari manage to have the best car on the grid for the next 5 years, I definitely see Alonso becoming a 7 time WDC. Hell, Vettel will do it if Red Bull keep up their form for the next half a decade.

There is a reason the 2001-2004 era is called the Ferrari domination era. Having the best car and being the undisputed number one driver in the team helped MS pull all those championships. IMO any of the top drivers now, i.e. Lewis, Alonso and Vettel can easily achieve the same in those circumstances.

Malbec
2nd September 2011, 09:53
I hope Grosjean can come back to F1 and considering that Bouiller is quite positive about him, it seems likely. I have been supportive of RG for several years already and while I don't quite expect him to be a future WDC, I still think he is fast and a deserving addition to the grid of F1, as evidenced by the impressive current GP2 campaign. But which team? If there isn't room in Renault, then what about Williams and I wouldn't even mind if he replaced Trulli at Lotus. But looks like Trulli has re-signed and he would need to bring sponsors for the Williams seat. In Renault it will be between him and Senna (if Kubica doesn't return) and it could be down to money also, especially if Senna impresses.

Grosjean is managed by Boullier I believe, hence the positivity. We'll know more about who Renault has in mind to partner Petrov later this season particularly if Senna is replaced by Grosjean once the GP2 season finishes. I don't believe Kubica will be returning.

And what about Toro Rosso, especially in the light of recent management reshuffle? It looks like both current drivers are pushing really hard to prove their place in F1 and actually seem to be doing sort of a decent job, but as neither is able to beat the other properly, it will be difficult to choose between them. Surely Ricciardo should finally step up into a better team. And Vergne is waiting on the wings also.

It looks like the new owners are taking over STR completely including a name change and a new factory in the Middle East with mainly Spanish sponsors on the car (owned by the same UAE fund that just bought the team). If this is the case then I doubt Red Bull backing will guarantee a drive for its drivers, although Alguesuari might find his Spanish passport useful with Spanish sponsors on board. Whatever happens next season is crunch time for any driver with a Red Bull uniform on as its no secret that RBR intend to replace Webber for 2013.

Malbec
2nd September 2011, 09:54
If Ferrari manage to have the best car on the grid for the next 5 years, I definitely see Alonso becoming a 7 time WDC.

Thats a bit unlikely though purely because the top teams are far closer these days than they used to be, and IMO there are more top quality drivers around these days than a decade ago.

CaptainRaiden
2nd September 2011, 10:23
Thats a bit unlikely though purely because the top teams are far closer these days than they used to be, and IMO there are more top quality drivers around these days than a decade ago.

Agreed on the better quality drivers part. But just like Red Bull are dominating now, who's to say Ferrari can't come up with a world beater dominant car? I'm no Alonso fan, but his talent is undeniable, and in a dominant car he can be near untouchable. Same way, I'm no MS fan, but I'm not denying his talent or how he cleaned up with the dominant Ferrari all those years.

The Black Knight
2nd September 2011, 10:34
If Ferrari manage to have the best car on the grid for the next 5 years, I definitely see Alonso becoming a 7 time WDC. Hell, Vettel will do it if Red Bull keep up their form for the next half a decade.

There is a reason the 2001-2004 era is called the Ferrari domination era. Having the best car and being the undisputed number one driver in the team helped MS pull all those championships. IMO any of the top drivers now, i.e. Lewis, Alonso and Vettel can easily achieve the same in those circumstances.

Most people I know refer to it as the Schumacher-Ferrari era.

Schumacher brought the people needed for such and era to Ferrari. I don't think Alonso has the same control or direction that Schumacher had in that area but that's just my opinion.

Agreed on the rest though, any of the other drivers could potentially manage it but I doubt they will.

Malbec
2nd September 2011, 11:00
Agreed on the better quality drivers part. But just like Red Bull are dominating now, who's to say Ferrari can't come up with a world beater dominant car? I'm no Alonso fan, but his talent is undeniable, and in a dominant car he can be near untouchable. Same way, I'm no MS fan, but I'm not denying his talent or how he cleaned up with the dominant Ferrari all those years.

While I agree about the drivers things have changed since the late '90s. Cars rarely fail whether from top teams or bottom, whereas in Schumacher's era McLarens were often fast but fragile and they were his main opposition. There are still three top teams but the gap between them is not that great. You say the RBR this year is dominant but in terms of pure pace it is not as strong as the F2002 was against its opposition. I just don't think any team in the next few years will be as dominant as Ferrari was for nearly a decade, including Ferrari.

The Black Knight
2nd September 2011, 14:49
While I agree about the drivers things have changed since the late '90s. Cars rarely fail whether from top teams or bottom, whereas in Schumacher's era McLarens were often fast but fragile and they were his main opposition. There are still three top teams but the gap between them is not that great. You say the RBR this year is dominant but in terms of pure pace it is not as strong as the F2002 was against its opposition. I just don't think any team in the next few years will be as dominant as Ferrari was for nearly a decade, including Ferrari.

Yeah and we have the limit on testing to thank for that I feel. By limiting the number of tests it has put everyone on more equal footing. Before Ferrari and everyone else could just spend test limitlessly in order to gain performance, now they have to make do with the same on track time as everyone else.

DexDexter
3rd September 2011, 08:55
Very silent here for some reason. :p :

It looks like for the third year in a row Top4 teams will keep the same line-ups. I am not sure if this has ever happened before, but I guess with the 2010 silly season all the major teams managed to find a good balance. And if Kubica stayed fit, Renault would have remained unchanged as well. Although I personally have to say that I'm not fond of Massa holding up that Ferrari drive forever any more - he has been too underwhelming for too long by now.

Wonder, which two drivers out of three will Force India choose for 2012? Early in the season I thought Sutil is going to be dropped in favour of Hülkenberg, but as Adrian has managed to up his game in summer, it is now hard to find arguments as to why he should be replaced. And in this case, what will happen to Hulk?! Two consecutive years without a race drive in F1 will be a significant setback and I remember he has even said that in this case he could join IndyCar or another series, where he can actually race.

Williams is another interesting case. It looks more and more likely that they will have two paydrivers in 2012. Current GP2 runner-up van der Garde has been rumoured, but also Senna. Or if Sutil gets ousted by FI, he can bring Medion money with him. Perhaps Grosjean can bring discount on Renault engines. Remains to be seen, who can make the best offer.

If Hulk goes to Indycar, he can kiss his career goodbye. That's so out of the radar both here are I guess in the States as well.

tfp
3rd September 2011, 12:48
Just talk from Domenicalli. It is in his interests to bolster Fernando Alonso's stock and the same with Briatore. Personally, I don't regard Alonso as better than Schumacher. How could you after a rookie beat him in 2007?

:up: +1

RS
8th September 2011, 21:42

I'd quite like to see Sutil at Williams which would free up the FI seat for Hulkenberg and keep a decent driver in the Williams. Maybe it's time for Rubens to retire gracefully rather than run out of options and whilst Sutil has funding he has talent and experience too.

Bagwan
8th September 2011, 21:52
"I don't remember the whole hitting the wall and then how I got to where I was. I remember trying to go into the corner and getting clipped but after that it's a bit blurry."

Hammy's concussed , so Hulk can fill in there if he calls Charlie .

Mia 01
9th September 2011, 11:13
I think you might be taking that out of context as I'm fairly sure those were his words minutes after the actual crash. It also doesn't suggest concussion as the accident happened in a split second and you wouldn't find a man alive who could process exactly what had happened without having seen a replay at that point. He was also winded by the initial impact with the wall and I would imagine he was trying hard to catch his breath rather than running throguh his mind how he ended up where he was? I could well be wrong but maybe my expectations of these people are slightly lower than the superhumans they are often expected to be.

As usual a lot of typing. curious, how will he do this race. I sence that it will be one race to "remember".

Mia 01
9th September 2011, 13:04
No Mia I am typing and making my point of view clear and in a form that can be understood. You on the otherhand are bumping up your post count with one line sentences across the whole forum that make little sense! I am also contributing to the subject, which is more than can be said of your sub par posts.

Sub bar. I bow out for the mighty superior, your opinion ar for sure moore important than mine.

52Paddy
9th September 2011, 21:06
Sub bar. I bow out for the mighty superior, your opinion ar for sure moore important than mine.

In all fairness, they are.

ioan
10th September 2011, 20:27
In all fairness, they are.

That's rubbish. Unless you are discriminating between the worth and knowledge of human beings, whom you do not personally know, which I hope you aren't.

52Paddy
11th September 2011, 04:35
That's rubbish. Unless you are discriminating between the worth and knowledge of human beings, whom you do not personally know, which I hope you aren't.

Ah relax man - you've been around long enough to realise that Mia has come out with the most outlandish one liners to ever grace this board. Personally myself, I think a load of what Mia posts is rubbish and she/he knows it. If you take it on board, then you're being bet at your own game son.

Mia 01
11th September 2011, 09:27
Ah relax man - you've been around long enough to realise that Mia has come out with the most outlandish one liners to ever grace this board. Personally myself, I think a load of what Mia posts is rubbish and she/he knows it. If you take it on board, then you're being bet at your own game son.

Thanks. You want to silent the voice of reason?

52Paddy
11th September 2011, 11:44
Thanks. You want to silent the voice of reason?

I'm not sure now. I fear the wrath that may ensue.

Mia 01
13th September 2011, 15:38
This might be interesting

Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/MiaF1Design/status/113567755260805120)

555-04Q2
13th September 2011, 15:41
News just in.............David Coulthard has made an offer to purchase RB racing for $500 million in 2013.

http://www.dc-offer-2013.com

ioan
13th September 2011, 18:59
News just in.............David Coulthard has made an offer to purchase RB racing for $500 million in 2013.

http://www.dc-offer-2013.com

I doubt he even has that much money.
And what about running the team then? Does he have money for it? Doubt it.