PDA

View Full Version : Tamotsu Futamura RIP

sal
8th August 2011, 15:57
Apologies if this has been posted already however I'm a rare visitor to this forum these days however I've just read of the recent death of perhaps one of the most influential rally photographers of all time from a heart attack. Whilst the name is perhaps not as instantly recognisable as Reinhard Klein, he was reponsible for some of the most iconic and artisitic images to grace rally magazines and books from the 70s through to the 90s. I'm lucky to own several books which feature his work and they still look fresh and exciting today a couple of decades on.

A sad loss

GigiGalliNo1
10th August 2011, 06:04
I did not know about this man, but will research him now.. any chance of posting some of his amazing photographs?

jiipee64
10th August 2011, 11:13
I got one of his books.
Exellent pictures from late 70's early 80's.
Artistic pictures from the sport I love.

That were the times when car, driver and the atmosphere were more important than the stickers from the sponsors....

RIP

General Prim
11th August 2011, 22:17
I am proud to have known Tamotsu and I have two of his books, he was always smiling. He left rallyes at the end of the last century and he tried also Formula 1 although I have not seen his pics.
I will alway miss him
Adiós Tatomutsu San

Daniel
13th August 2011, 17:58
I did not know about this man, but will research him now.. any chance of posting some of his amazing photographs?

I can only echo this, any chance of seeing some of his work?

GigiGalliNo1
14th August 2011, 07:27
Might have to buy a book or two :)

sal
15th August 2011, 13:17
Think you guys may have to do your own leg work other than just using Google (other search engines are available). I'm not aware of anyone having bought his archive so the books are the only obvious source. Well worth the effort though.

Daniel
15th August 2011, 13:24
Think you guys may have to do your own leg work other than just using Google (other search engines are available). I'm not aware of anyone having bought his archive so the books are the only obvious source. Well worth the effort though.

Fair enough :) Just thought some of his work might have been on the web :)

sal
15th August 2011, 14:00
My scanner is broken otherwise I may have been able to show a few examples without breaking copyright!

GMiranda1989
20th April 2019, 14:48
He was a great photographer, only today I learnt he had published books.

KiwiWRCfan
21st April 2019, 01:17
Here is a link to some of Tamotsu Futamura's work
https://www.autocult.fr/2017/tamotsu-futamura-lempreinte-japonaise-wrc-f1/

KiwiWRCfan
21st April 2019, 01:55
and another better link where you can click on individual photos to see them in larger size http://picdeer.com/tamotsufutamura

GMiranda1989
23rd April 2019, 22:53
Many Thanks!!!!! I first took his name from a Martin Holmes' rally book I have, on the final months of 2018 :O