PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the race--di Resta

markabilly
31st July 2011, 14:53
for not crashing into hamilton after the spin move :D

steveaki13
31st July 2011, 15:05
Driver of the Race, Jenson Button. He was calm and collected and won a good race.

Other mentions:

Paul Di Resta: Another great drive from Paul was easily in 7th, but did actually drop into that mass scrap around the time of the late shower. Then to overtake them and hold 7th.
Buemi: A Good drive from Sebastian, he was 23rd on the grid to 8th. A nice drive.

Kovalainen: I thought he drove really well until he retired he was 14th and ahead of 4 or 5 midfield cars.
Ricciardo: A solid drive, finished ahead of a Virgin and 70 seconds ahead of Liuzzi.

wedge
31st July 2011, 15:21
Di Resta

Quite tempted to call Button's win lucky in that I'm wondering whether Button would've pitted had he led the race. Quote me on this I'll either play devil's advocate or backtrack.

BDunnell
31st July 2011, 15:53
Quite tempted to call Button's win lucky in that I'm wondering whether Button would've pitted had he led the race. Quote me on this I'll either play devil's advocate or backtrack.

He might have done, I suppose, but (a) he didn't, and (b) I could see him not having done so, given his excellence in those conditions. A splendid win either way. And much praise too to di Resta and Buemi.

Mia 01
31st July 2011, 16:15
Jenson, Sebastian an di Resta in that order.

The Black Knight
31st July 2011, 16:26
Driver of the day goes to Jenson for me. Di Resta then after that. He extracted the maximum out of his FI.

Hamilton made a bad decision. I am quite surprised that McLaren took that gamble. It didn't look wet enough to me when he pitted for tyres. Either way, Jenson seemed to have a slight pace advantage over Lewis today at times.

Seb drove a really solid race. He doesn't appear to be a rainmaster but he is certainly a great driver.

F1boat
31st July 2011, 16:36
Jenson and Seb :)

52Paddy
31st July 2011, 16:38
Driver of the Race, Jenson Button. He was calm and collected and won a good race.

Other mentions:

Paul Di Resta: Another great drive from Paul was easily in 7th, but did actually drop into that mass scrap around the time of the late shower. Then to overtake them and hold 7th.
Buemi: A Good drive from Sebastian, he was 23rd on the grid to 8th. A nice drive.

Kovalainen: I thought he drove really well until he retired he was 14th and ahead of 4 or 5 midfield cars.
Ricciardo: A solid drive, finished ahead of a Virgin and 70 seconds ahead of Liuzzi.

That sums it up for me. Kobayashi drove well up until the final phase of the race when his tyres went off. Alguersuari and Perez put in a strong effort, too, I thought. They seemed really racey today. As above, though, Button gets DOTD for me, closely followed by Di Resta.

spudrsca
31st July 2011, 16:48
Driver of the day goes to Jenson for me. Di Resta then after that. He extracted the maximum out of his FI.

Hamilton made a bad decision. I am quite surprised that McLaren took that gamble. It didn't look wet enough to me when he pitted for tyres. Either way, Jenson seemed to have a slight pace advantage over Lewis today at times.

Seb drove a really solid race. He doesn't appear to be a rainmaster but he is certainly a great driver.

It's not the inter decision that were the most idiot choice by mclaren and Hamilton, it was a big gamble as he had no chance of winning otherwise.

What I don't understand it's why they pitted him with super soft when Webber, then Vettel had soft tires.
Even if he couldn't last to the end, the soft were the better choice as he could do more attacking laps on them than on the softs when he could do only 4-5 quick laps.
Yesterday he proved that he was good on the hard tires.
I was mad when I was listening the radio message before he pitted as I was hoping they would put him the harder tires.

steveaki13
31st July 2011, 19:50
Three Brits for me:
Button
Hamilton
Di Resta

In that order. :)

Can I ask out of interest why you feel Hamilton drove a good race.

I think you are the first to mention him.

He drove well at the start, but I feel the spin and recovery (into Di Resta) was poor and then he came into the pits and took a wrong gamble and ended up 4th.

I am not like some and going to bash you for your choice, I am just wondering as a fellow fan why you made your decision on Hamilton.

steveaki13
31st July 2011, 20:05
I enjoyed his race and his determination to fight at all costs. He took the lead from Vettel and coped with the conditions better than most in the first stint (although he made one or two errors). After his spin and drive through which I felt he didn't deserve, he got back past Webber and finished an impressive 4th place. A great start and a great recovery so I feel he was one of the drivers of the race.

Button was lucky, but showed consistency puts a driver in the right place to take advantage of others misfortune and it was a thoroughly deserved victory IMO. Button got mt driver of the race. :)

Thanks

:)

nice to understand why other think what they think, rather than just slate people.

Robinho
31st July 2011, 21:19
Button for me to day, judged it right, was catching Lewis at the end of the stints, was quicker on the harder tyres and made the right calls going onto a long stint on the hards when Alonso and Hamilton made the wrong call for Softs and again staying out rather than taking the inters. For the record, Hamilton had to pit again when he came in for Inters anyway cos his softs were cooking and would not have made the end of the race, so his only hope was it would be wet enough for everyone to pit so he was back on an equal footing, otherwise he would have lost a stop to Button and Vettel anyway.

Di Resta drove a brilliant race a long way into the points.

TMorel
1st August 2011, 11:09
I know it's not technically a driver, but I'd like to vote for McLaren letting Lewis and Jenson being allowed to tussle it out on track most of the time. It's caused the odd hiccup *g* but they're still allowed to go for it where some other teams might suggest their drivers play follow'm'leader.

BDunnell
1st August 2011, 11:16
I know it's not technically a driver, but I'd like to vote for McLaren letting Lewis and Jenson being allowed to tussle it out on track most of the time. It's caused the odd hiccup *g* but they're still allowed to go for it where some other teams might suggest their drivers play follow'm'leader.

Agreed. It was great to watch while it lasted.

edv
1st August 2011, 14:48
Quick Nick, for his gymnastic maneuver.
With 2 arms up he signaled the judges that he was ready.
In a deft move, launched himself into a dismount in the half pike position.
Nailed the landing with ballet-like precision in the best tradition of Nadia Comenicci.
No deductions.

The Black Knight
1st August 2011, 15:54
It's not the inter decision that were the most idiot choice by mclaren and Hamilton, it was a big gamble as he had no chance of winning otherwise.

What I don't understand it's why they pitted him with super soft when Webber, then Vettel had soft tires.
Even if he couldn't last to the end, the soft were the better choice as he could do more attacking laps on them than on the softs when he could do only 4-5 quick laps.
Yesterday he proved that he was good on the hard tires.
I was mad when I was listening the radio message before he pitted as I was hoping they would put him the harder tires.

How do you mean he had no chance of winning? He was in the lead when he pitted. I'd say there is quite a good chance he would have won.

Robinho
1st August 2011, 19:46
How do you mean he had no chance of winning? He was in the lead when he pitted. I'd say there is quite a good chance he would have won.

the only way he would have won was if it had rained enough for everyone to pit for Inters. Because of the decision to take another set of softs (the same as Alonso) when all the others were going to the end on the primes, and yet Button was still taking time from Lewis, Lewis had to pit again before the end, and was therefore out of contention and would have been down with Alonso for 3rd at best.

If it had continued raining he would have got that stop back again as everyone would have been back on the same tyres at the same time. The inters decision was the wrong one, but the decision which lost the race was the soft tyres, and by the time the inters came he was about to get a drive through as well.

The Black Knight
1st August 2011, 22:41
the only way he would have won was if it had rained enough for everyone to pit for Inters. Because of the decision to take another set of softs (the same as Alonso) when all the others were going to the end on the primes, and yet Button was still taking time from Lewis, Lewis had to pit again before the end, and was therefore out of contention and would have been down with Alonso for 3rd at best.

If it had continued raining he would have got that stop back again as everyone would have been back on the same tyres at the same time. The inters decision was the wrong one, but the decision which lost the race was the soft tyres, and by the time the inters came he was about to get a drive through as well.

Yeah, you're right. That's a pretty good assessment of it alright. :)

truefan72
2nd August 2011, 05:40

that is the way I saw it too

good analysis :up:

Robinho
2nd August 2011, 12:44
christ, complete agreement, thats killed the discussion stone dead, now I see why a fight is the only way to keep a thread alive :)

wedge
3rd August 2011, 14:56
He might have done, I suppose, but (a) he didn't, and (b) I could see him not having done so, given his excellence in those conditions. A splendid win either way. And much praise too to di Resta and Buemi.

Button told the BBC Forum that he was told to stay out because McLaren didn't want to stack him up in pit lane. I wonder staying out on that lap helped him make his mind up not to pit?

Robinho
3rd August 2011, 20:45
He also said in his opinion it was never wet enough to pit for Inters, having the option taken away from him probably helped he realise this though

Retro Formula 1
4th August 2011, 12:22
christ, complete agreement, thats killed the discussion stone dead, now I see why a fight is the only way to keep a thread alive :)

You're talking rubbish.... fanboy.... hater.... nonsense.... biased.... etc.

Is that better ;)

Robinho
4th August 2011, 19:34
You're talking rubbish.... fanboy.... hater.... nonsense.... biased.... etc.

Is that better ;)

you forgot Troll you cock! ;)

Retro Formula 1
5th August 2011, 12:24
you forgot Troll you cock! ;)

:laugh: My bad ;)