PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the Race Germany

steveaki13
24th July 2011, 14:46
Lets go

SGWilko
24th July 2011, 14:48
Without shadow of a doubt, for overtaking, re-overtaking and defending it has to be Lewis.

pettersolberg29
24th July 2011, 14:49
Hard to look past Hamilton, but a mention of Sutil too with a great 6th place.

christophulus
24th July 2011, 14:49
Hamilton, no contest

Garry Walker
24th July 2011, 14:50
Hamilton, clearly. No doubt.

Robinho
24th July 2011, 14:52
one of the easiest this year, has to be Lewis, great drive, overtakes for lead and faultless throughout

truefan72
24th July 2011, 14:54
one of the easiest this year, has to be Lewis, great drive, overtakes for lead and faultless throughout

:up: no doubt Hamilton!

ioan
Hamilton by a mile.

gm99
Hamilton with a great drive.
Honorable mention to Kobayashi and Sutil.

steveaki13
24th July 2011, 14:55
Lewis as well for me.

Other mentions:

Alonso and Webber: They both played their part in a great race and great battle.
Sutil: A fine 6th and on the lead lap.
Kobayashi: Yet another fine drive from low down.
Ricciardo: A much better race, battled well was ahead of Virgin early and his team mate, then from half way held on well and beat a struggling Chandhok.

N4D13
24th July 2011, 14:59
Has anybody said Hamilton yet?

tfp
24th July 2011, 15:02
Definetly Hamilton for me, and Massa deserves a mention aswel, much improved form over the recent races.

CaptainRaiden
24th July 2011, 15:04
This was Lewis all the way. Retake of the lead from Webber, ballsy move on Alonso on the outside, and that fastest lap on mediums at the end. Just a brilliant race. And I agree with him, probably his best race ever.

donKey jote
24th July 2011, 15:04
Hamilton

Dave B
24th July 2011, 15:05
HAM.

52Paddy
24th July 2011, 15:38
Petrov.

vhatever
24th July 2011, 15:39
Lewis was pretty good, but was handed the lead by the boneheaded piss poor start from webber. It's funny that hammy is driver of the race when he wins a race from the lead; when vettel does it, it's garbage,

Hah.

Sutil was the driver of the race. Though I do give Hamilton honorable mention.

Dave B
24th July 2011, 15:41
Lewis was pretty good, but was handed the lead by the boneheaded piss poor start from webber. It's weird that hammy is driver of the race when he wins a race from the lead and he's the driver of the race, when vettel does it, it's garbage,

Hah.

It physically pains you to give credit to a Brit, doesn't it Tamb? :p

SGWilko
24th July 2011, 15:42
Lewis was pretty good, but was handed the lead by the boneheaded piss poor start from webber. It's funny that hammy is driver of the race when he wins a race from the lead; when vettel does it, it's garbage,

Hah.

He'll fill on hearing that I bet. :laugh:

vhatever
24th July 2011, 15:43
It physically pains you to give credit to a Brit, doesn't it Tamb? :p

right, right, same people who trash on vettel for makes Hammy the driver of the race. We call this bigotry/jingoism in the USA, not sure what they call it where you are from. Probably "normal".

SGWilko
24th July 2011, 15:48
right, right, same people who trash on vettel for makes Hammy the driver of the race.

You conveniently neglect to mention that Lewis had to defend and overtake on several occasions, Seb's car advantage up until now has seen him drive off into the distance.

When it counts, talking is done on the track - and today we saw Seb unable to overtake, even in the latter stages of the race when his brakes were fine, and only made the pass courtesy of his pit crew.

vhatever
24th July 2011, 15:50
You conveniently neglect to mention that Lewis had to defend and overtake on several occasions, Seb's car advantage up until now has seen him drive off into the distance.

When it counts, talking is done on the track - and today we saw Seb unable to overtake, even in the latter stages of the race when his brakes were fine, and only made the pass courtesy of his pit crew.

All of lewis passes weren't even defended. Alonso never dfended coming out of the pits, and he was gifted the lead by marks horrible start. Who exactly did he pass who didn't hand him the position? Vettel "passed" alonso, too.

SGWilko
24th July 2011, 15:53
All of lewis passes weren't even defended. Alonso never dfended coming out of the pits, and he was gifted the lead by marks horrible start. Who exactly did he pass who didn't hand him the position? Vettel "passed" alonso, too.

Don't really see how that's Lewis' problem?

vhatever
24th July 2011, 15:55
Don't really see how that's Lewis' problem?

Well, then why you complaining about Vettel not overtaking. He overtook alonso, just like Ham. He overtook massa. both undefended overtakes, just like lulu's.

SGWilko
24th July 2011, 16:00
Well, then why you complaining about Vettel not overtaking. He overtook alonso, just like Ham. He overtook massa. both undefended overtakes, just like lulu's.

He didn't overtake Massa, the pit crew were quicker.

That's the whole point. Seb choked in Canada, and didn't do much to shout about here.

Lulu was a class above the rest today, heck Alonso was so scared he didn't even think to defend.

vhatever
24th July 2011, 16:03
He didn't overtake Massa, the pit crew were quicker.

That's the whole point. Seb choked in Canada, and didn't do much to shout about here.

Lulu was a class above the rest today, heck Alonso was so scared he didn't even think to defend.

He did overtake him, ;like I said, an undefended overtake, just like every one of Hamilton's today.

SGWilko
24th July 2011, 16:12
He did overtake him, ;like I said, an undefended overtake, just like every one of Hamilton's today.

Lulu or Hamilton? Make yer mind up.

CaptainRaiden
24th July 2011, 16:30

What is a "defended" overtake then? :confused:

SGWilko
24th July 2011, 16:41
What is a "defended" overtake then? :confused:

A nice line in choccy bars! :rotflmao:

MrJan
24th July 2011, 16:44
Anyway, Hamilton. He didn't just lead from the start, he battled to reclaim the lead, went through periods when his car was slower than the RB and Ferrari, and picked the right time to change to the hards.

ioan
24th July 2011, 16:48
Here on Mars, we call it .ZDBcjasv;d;h.

Same thing then.

ioan
24th July 2011, 16:50
Ha, was Tamby Baby giving a lesson on bigotry? :laugh: :laugh: Bless, poor little lamb doesn't realise how much of an idiot he is.

Why the need for such language?!

Mia 01
24th July 2011, 16:54
It has to be Lewis this time!

Then Massa. He defended himself very well against Seb.

MrJan
24th July 2011, 16:59

Don't be so prissy. The word 'idiot' is hardly that harsh a word. People on these boards can be so soft at times, it's painful how easily toys come out of the pram.

Mark
24th July 2011, 17:04
To answer the question, no, there is no need for such language or insults

MrJan
24th July 2011, 17:08
To answer the question, no, there is no need for such language or insults

But repeated thinly veiled bigotry from a poster that's already been banned is fine? Nice to know where I stand.

SGWilko
24th July 2011, 17:09

Speak as you find probably.

SGWilko
24th July 2011, 17:11
But repeated thinly veiled bigotry from a poster that's already been banned is fine? Nice to know where I stand.

Vhatever did happen to Tamb anyway, talking of bigotry?

ioan
24th July 2011, 17:12

Bigotry or not he/she didn't call you names.
I feel the moderators are way to lenient given how they treat other forum members for calling drivers names, yet they do nothing in a case like this one.

MrJan
24th July 2011, 17:19
Bigotry or not he/she didn't call you names.
I feel the moderators are way to lenient given how they treat other forum members for calling drivers names, yet they do nothing in a case like this one.

So in your mind namecalling (and not really name calling, more of a personal opinion of someone) is worse than posts against whole nations? Interesting.

pino
24th July 2011, 17:32
Closing whilst cleaning from rubbish...

Mark
24th July 2011, 17:34
Thanks Pino. When I ask for name calling to stop I expect it to stop - immediately.

pino
24th July 2011, 17:49
Open again, now please keep it on topic and quit the insults/personal comments, thank you :)

intheway
24th July 2011, 18:45
Hamilton, best in qualifying, best in race.

pino
24th July 2011, 18:55
Lewis for me too :up:

driveace
24th July 2011, 19:15
Lewis best all weekend ,and not with the fastest car out there either.We all know Seb is good when he gets a jump on them all at the start,but today he went backwards,so can he race AND overtake ,when he is in the pack ?

DexDexter
24th July 2011, 20:02
Lewis Hamilton and ADRIAN SUTIL.

Brown, Jon Brow
25th July 2011, 00:22
Hamilton was superb today.

wedge
25th July 2011, 00:27
Hamilton

Sutil deserves a mention for being first of best-of-the-rest.

LH passed Alonso on the outside; LH passed Webber inbetween pitwall.

SGWilko
25th July 2011, 08:39
Hamilton

Sutil deserves a mention for being first of best-of-the-rest.

LH passed Alonso on the outside; LH passed Webber inbetween pitwall.

There's none so blind as those that will not see. ;)

555-04Q2
25th July 2011, 11:07
:erm: The winner as usual.

Retro Formula 1
25th July 2011, 11:24
Both Force India drivers did a great job. Adrian for his best performance this year and Paul for battling back so well after being taken out. Button was getting himself back in it as well before the hydraulics went.

But, what can we say about Lewis. Probably the best qualifying performance I have ever seen and he was imperious in the race. There was no way he was going to be denied victory and although he has the 3rd fastest car out there, brought home a very special win.

Probably the drive of the year, let alone day.

The Black Knight
25th July 2011, 15:26
Both Force India drivers did a great job. Adrian for his best performance this year and Paul for battling back so well after being taken out. Button was getting himself back in it as well before the hydraulics went.

But, what can we say about Lewis. Probably the best qualifying performance I have ever seen and he was imperious in the race. There was no way he was going to be denied victory and although he has the 3rd fastest car out there, brought home a very special win.

I have to agree with this completely. It was incredible how consistently quick he was throughout the grand prix. He was nailing it lap after lap after lap. Incredible drive from Lewis. I had the pleasure of watching from the grand stands. I've only just arrived home. Unfortunately, I don't get to go to next weekends grand prix but it was very much worth my while attending a very cold Nurburgring. There is no question regarding who the driver of the day was. Hamilton without a doubt. I haven't read through this thread but I'm willing to bet that vhatever disagrees with that, but this is to be expected :D

Retro Formula 1
25th July 2011, 17:25
^^PML. Every forum has one :laugh: :up:

Would have loved to have been there you lucky boy :)

tfp
25th July 2011, 23:41

:up: +1
I agree with everything here, except the drive of the year. For me, that was still bunson in Canada. I have yet to find a gp where a driver has been in stone-dead last position and eventually gone on to win the race.

CaptainRaiden
26th July 2011, 00:20
I agree with everything here, except the drive of the year. For me, that was still bunson in Canada. I have yet to find a gp where a driver has been in stone-dead last position and eventually gone on to win the race.

He wasn't actually stone-dead last. He was 18th, and there were still a few cars behind him. This was before he took Alonso out as well BTW. More impressive than this was Kimi Raikkonen at the 2005 Japanese Grand Prix, where he started 17th, clawed his way through the field in full dry conditions, not helped at all by rain or early tyre change gambles or safety cars, and "overtook" the lead as they crossed the line for the last lap, not gifted the lead by a driver error.

N. Jones
26th July 2011, 02:15
driver of the race.....
driver of the race.....

It can't be Hamilton. He drove fast in a fast car.
It can't be Alonso. HE drove fast in a fast car.
It can't be Webber. He lost the lead, AGAIN.
It for sure can't be Vettel, he doesn't know how to pass anyone.

Who really put in a good drive today?

How about Adrian Sutil, who put in a good drive for 6th and out-qualified his teammate for once.

F16
26th July 2011, 08:21
Vettel seemed off form and struggled in traffic making more errors than we are used to seeing, but its nice to see some exciting finishes every now and then.. :up: :) :up: :)

For the whole weekend Vettel struggled slightly than his teammate, could be only an one-off, he might not find correct set up or the track didn't suit him, so when he pushed too hard it leads to some mistakes.

DOTD I think Hamilton, can't understand why was Alonso that slow on new tires and let Hamilton be ahead of him. Massa was good can handle pressure from Vettel, and deserves a mention too Adrian Sutil.

AndyL
26th July 2011, 11:01
He wasn't actually stone-dead last. He was 18th, and there were still a few cars behind him.

Your recollection is incorrect, around laps 38-40 he was 21st and last on the track.

Big Ben
26th July 2011, 11:22
can't understand why was Alonso that slow on new tires and let Hamilton be ahead of him.

me neither... It might be because I've never driven a F1 car but that's just speculating

52Paddy
26th July 2011, 11:45
Massa was racier than usual too. Far from DOTD material but some good show of form in parts of the race.

The Black Knight
26th July 2011, 14:57
Jenson drove brilliantly in Canada but was helped by numerous safety car periods, cars pitting, retiring etc. It's laughable he won really as he and McLaren did everything to try and lose the race. If you truly analyse his race and don't get carried away with the frenzy then it's very obvious to see that he was not driver of the day in Canada, let alone the entire year. Schumacher was the best driver in Canada and by a country mile too. He was balls to the wall throughout the whole race and consistently quick. He didn't just decide to race the last 20 laps, he raced through the whole thing flat out and if it weren't for safety car periods Button would have never won that race. It was probably the luckiest win I've ever seen in F1. It's certainly up there anyway.

I'm going to reserve my judgement on Drive of the Year. It's hard to say who deserves that yet. Certainly Hamilton on Sunday was up there as is his drive in China. Alonso has had some supreme drives too, especially in Silverstone. The end of the year we can judge that ;)

Scotch
26th July 2011, 16:13
Sutil! Big change from being beaten by di Resta!

F1boat
26th July 2011, 17:25
Ham!

tfp
26th July 2011, 19:57
Your recollection is incorrect, around laps 38-40 he was 21st and last on the track.

Thanks, I could have sworn I heard David coulthard and mr jordan stating that he was in last place! Thought I was starting to hear things... :)

tfp
26th July 2011, 20:03
Jenson drove brilliantly in Canada but was helped by numerous safety car periods, cars pitting, retiring etc. It's laughable he won really as he and McLaren did everything to try and lose the race. If you truly analyse his race and don't get carried away with the frenzy then it's very obvious to see that he was not driver of the day in Canada, let alone the entire year. Schumacher was the best driver in Canada and by a country mile too. He was balls to the wall throughout the whole race and consistently quick. He didn't just decide to race the last 20 laps, he raced through the whole thing flat out and if it weren't for safety car periods Button would have never won that race. It was probably the luckiest win I've ever seen in F1. It's certainly up there anyway.

I'm going to reserve my judgement on Drive of the Year. It's hard to say who deserves that yet. Certainly Hamilton on Sunday was up there as is his drive in China. Alonso has had some supreme drives too, especially in Silverstone. The end of the year we can judge that ;)

I dont think he was gifted the race at all. He pressured Vettel into making a mistake, he just wasn't as fast as bunson on that day!
Which begs the question, why did he do so terribly on sunday....I'm off to the "donkey of the race" thread:-)

Oh, yes, driver of the race...I think I've said it before, but driver of the race for me was hamilton, by miles. Then massa(albeit quite a distant second), for someone who is in poor form(since his accident?) he did a pretty good job of holding off the current WDC, has as good as won it this year aswel!

vhatever
27th July 2011, 05:03
Sutil! Big change from being beaten by di Resta!

Huh? You must be another BBC viewer or something. Sutil has outperformed di resta on race day this year, by like 6 to 4 races now. Sutil also has 900% more points than di resta, too. Ya, three zeros.

vhatever
27th July 2011, 05:06
Lewis best all weekend ,and not with the fastest car out there either.We all know Seb is good when he gets a jump on them all at the start,but today he went backwards,so can he race AND overtake ,when he is in the pack ?

How do we know mclaren isn't the best car? Webber hasn't won a race with the red bull yet, while both button and hamilton have won in a mclaren. The mclaren has the fastest straight line speed, and that's the only factual evidence we can judge the cars speed on. Said in another way, the only "driver skill free" evidence we have says the mclaren is the fastest car.

ShiftingGears
27th July 2011, 07:00
The mclaren has the fastest straight line speed, and that's the only factual evidence we can judge the cars speed on.

Maybe you should try watching drag racing.

Said in another way, the only "driver skill free" evidence we have says the mclaren is the fastest car.

...What?

vhatever
27th July 2011, 07:35
Maybe you should try watching drag racing.

...What?

Duh. What's dat? I don'ts understands youse maybes youse cans use smallar werds.

It's not rocket science man. when you go to a store an buy something "fat free", what's not in it? I know that's a complicated question, but give it your best go. There will be a quiz later, so you better take notes.

ShiftingGears
27th July 2011, 07:58
Duh. What's dat? I don'ts understands youse maybes youse cans use smallar werds.

I remember a Minardi clocked the fastest time through a speed trap in Hockenheim once. Therefore they were, according to your suggestion, the best car on the grid that weekend. No? I didn't think so. Let's not try to use straightline speed as a definitive basis to state that one car is better at traversing a circuit (that happens to have corners) than another. I can only hope that you are not an analyst, because that method is terrible.

It's not rocket science man.

I agree, your suggestion wasn't intellectually close.

when you go to a store an buy something "fat free", what's not in it? I know that's a complicated question, but give it your best go. There will be a quiz later, so you better take notes.

You're claiming "driver skill free" and "evidence" in the same sentence, where that is clearly subjective. Straights have corners leading into them, does that mean that it's different then? Obviously the RBR has been the best car throughout the season. As for the German Grand Prix, had the teams used different strategies, the top 3 could easily have been reversed.

tfp
27th July 2011, 19:53
Huh? You must be another BBC viewer or something. Sutil has outperformed di resta on race day this year, by like 6 to 4 races now. Sutil also has 900% more points than di resta, too. Ya, three zeros.

Not only that, but Sutil is a much better shot with a wine glass aswel :D

The Black Knight
27th July 2011, 22:11
I dont think he was gifted the race at all. He pressured Vettel into making a mistake, he just wasn't as fast as bunson on that day!
Which begs the question, why did he do so terribly on sunday....I'm off to the "donkey of the race" thread:-)

Oh, yes, driver of the race...I think I've said it before, but driver of the race for me was hamilton, by miles. Then massa(albeit quite a distant second), for someone who is in poor form(since his accident?) he did a pretty good job of holding off the current WDC, has as good as won it this year aswel!

In fairness, to say he pressured Vettel is a bit of a stretch. Vettel didn't look pressured, he looked as though he was fully in control and made a mistake. It's not like Button was all over the back of his gearbox. I honestly feel Vettel had him under control and knew he had but, take nothing away from Button, it was a great drive. How many times was he in the pits though? 6 was it? Had a coming together with Alonso. Any driver that goes through the pits as many times as he did that day and ends up winning can count themselves very lucky. The McLaren was set up to suit the conditions at the end of the race and Button made the most of it when the track came to him but he was most definitely not driver of the day. Go back and watch the race again. Analyse how lucky he was and I think you'll see what I mean.

tfp
27th July 2011, 23:41
In fairness, to say he pressured Vettel is a bit of a stretch. Vettel didn't look pressured, he looked as though he was fully in control and made a mistake. It's not like Button was all over the back of his gearbox. I honestly feel Vettel had him under control and knew he had but, take nothing away from Button, it was a great drive. How many times was he in the pits though? 6 was it? Had a coming together with Alonso. Any driver that goes through the pits as many times as he did that day and ends up winning can count themselves very lucky. The McLaren was set up to suit the conditions at the end of the race and Button made the most of it when the track came to him but he was most definitely not driver of the day. Go back and watch the race again. Analyse how lucky he was and I think you'll see what I mean.

I respect what you say, but I'm not moving from what I think :) He was very lucky with the safety car bringing the cars all togethor, but apart from that...Still my vote for the drive of the year so far, whether it will still get my vote at the end of the season remains to be seen however!

The Black Knight
28th July 2011, 11:42
I respect what you say, but I'm not moving from what I think :) He was very lucky with the safety car bringing the cars all togethor, but apart from that...Still my vote for the drive of the year so far, whether it will still get my vote at the end of the season remains to be seen however!

I also respect your opinion. I guess I'll never give the drive of the day to a guy that puts in some great laps towards the end of the GP to win especially after being extremely fortunate. To me you need to look at the entire GP and, as a whole, Jenson's Canadian performance wasn't great till the track came to him. Driver of the day must go to the guy that was consistent and made the most of the machinery at his disposal at all times. In Canada that was without doubt Schuey.

Retro Formula 1
28th July 2011, 15:42

I rarely disagree with you but think you are wrong on this. All Seb saw was his lead being eroded by a rate of knots and Button was going to be on his ass within a few corners. Consequently he tried to respond and push it to the max. He buggered it up and went off track due to the pressure of Button coming up. Seb has a glass draw I'm afraid. Quickest in the fastest car but a bit like a fish out of water when pressured.

tfp
28th July 2011, 19:45
I also respect your opinion. I guess I'll never give the drive of the day to a guy that puts in some great laps towards the end of the GP to win especially after being extremely fortunate. To me you need to look at the entire GP and, as a whole, Jenson's Canadian performance wasn't great till the track came to him. Driver of the day must go to the guy that was consistent and made the most of the machinery at his disposal at all times. In Canada that was without doubt Schuey.

You are right about the shoe, definetly the best performance Ive seen from him since he came back, I was gutted that he diddnt make the podium. And the fact that he had the slowest car of the top four, but was still in contention with second place(IMO) until the end of the race, that was very impressive. I still vote for bunson though:-)

tfp
28th July 2011, 19:48
I rarely disagree with you but think you are wrong on this. All Seb saw was his lead being eroded by a rate of knots and Button was going to be on his ass within a few corners. Consequently he tried to respond and push it to the max. He buggered it up and went off track due to the pressure of Button coming up. Seb has a glass draw I'm afraid. Quickest in the fastest car but a bit like a fish out of water when pressured.

:up: +1 My guess was the RBR team saw the lap times bunson was putting in, did some number crunching and got a bit worried, so the radio Vettel, tell him to go faster even though he was already on the limit, and over cooked it on the last lap:-)

Robinho
28th July 2011, 20:17

So what about Spain or Monaco this year, massive pressure with no mistakes

tfp
28th July 2011, 20:23
So what about Spain or Monaco this year, massive pressure with no mistakes

Dont think he was under a lot of pressure from anyone at monaco, not least until it was red flagged:-)

Robinho
28th July 2011, 20:26
Dont think he was under a lot of pressure from anyone at monaco, not least until it was red flagged:-)

Alonso and Button were right on him for a lot of laps before the red flag

The Black Knight
30th July 2011, 15:21

I know, it's rare we disagree but I disagree with you on this. I believe that Seb simply made a mistake. I don't believe he panicked and lost control of the car. He simply went too wide. The same thing happened to him and Schuey in Nurburgring. Neither were under great pressure at the time either. They simply made a natural driving error and this happens. I don't believe that Jenson honing in on him like that was really an attributable factor as he wasn't close enough at that stage. I can see why people believe otherwise. But to be pressured into a mistake you have to be under pressure and I don't believe the kind of mistake he made was caused by pressure, it was simple driver error.

Retro Formula 1
31st July 2011, 10:10
Fair enough. We will differ on this one :up: