PDA

View Full Version : Penske Interested In PorscheÂ’s P1 Return at Le Mans

Lee Roy
13th July 2011, 01:47
I wonder if Penske would run this out of his shop in North Carolina?

AUTO RACING - LE MANS: Penske Interested In Porsche's P1 Return (http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/le-mans-penske-interested-in-porsches-p1-return)

After an ultra-successful run in the American Le Mans Series together, could Penske Racing reunite with Porsche for its factory LMP1 effort in 2014? Team Principal Roger Penske revealed on Sunday’s Wind Tunnel with Dave Despain that he’s had preliminary talks with the German manufacturer on a potential effort that could see his fabled American team return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans for the first time in over 40 years.

Penske is no stranger to the world of sportscar racing, having fielded Porsche’s factory RS Spyder program in the American Le Mans Series from 2005-2008. The LMP2 effort, which saw the DHL-sponsored prototypes earn 24 victories and three class championships, was brought to a close at the end of a planned three-year run.

harvick#1
13th July 2011, 06:17
I think Joest Racing will go to Porsche, and Audi will be run by privateers, I still do not believe there will be both factory efforts sister companies

slorydn1
14th July 2011, 05:34
FWIW, I hope he does. More fresh blood in the P1 category at Le Mans can't hurt.