10th July 2011, 14:44
Don't make me type his name!

pino
10th July 2011, 14:45
Don't make me type his name!

I will do that for you : Alonso ! :p :

christophulus
Seconded. Alonso particularly was on another level today.

555-04Q2
The winner!!!!!

UltimateDanGTR
10th July 2011, 14:46
Alonso & Hamilton

why bother opening the thread if you make it so easy to agree with you right away? :D

Alonso really was something else today, while Lewis did well to hold on having to manage fuel.

RJL25
10th July 2011, 14:48
Has to be Alonso

Garry Walker
10th July 2011, 14:52
Rapunzel, it was just brilliant how he fought off Webber in the end to hold his 2nd place. Brilliant, awesome, mindblowing drive.

George6890
10th July 2011, 14:58
Fernando! =D

steveaki13
10th July 2011, 15:06
Alonso: Was in a different class once he jumped the Red Bulls.

Other mentions
Hamilton: A fine drive to get into 2nd and battled while saving fuel.
Rosberg: Drove a solid race after falling to 11th on lap 1.
Perez: A good drive for his best results i believe.
Heidfeld: The same a good drive.
Schumacher: Was as fast as Massa and Button at times, and after a stop go penalty still finished 9th. Without the harsh penalty, he could have finish 6th and finished close to Massa.
Alguersauri: Another solid drive, he has begun picking up points now.

Robinho
10th July 2011, 15:09
has to be Alonso today, faultless stuff.

Hamilton gave a great show.

Perez looked to be going well all race

Button a mention for his pass on Massa, pity his wheel fell off as he would have been write in Hamilton and maybe Webber but for that

steveaki13
10th July 2011, 15:17
has to be Alonso today, faultless stuff.

Hamilton gave a great show.

Perez looked to be going well all race

Button a mention for his pass on Massa, pity his wheel fell off as he would have been write in Hamilton and maybe Webber but for that

Good spot, forgot about Button's move. May have finished 4th but for that.

Mia 01
10th July 2011, 15:33
Alonso drove very well today. It seems as Ferrari are on par with RBR now.

Second, it has to be Mark.

Brown, Jon Brow
10th July 2011, 15:38
Alonso

N. Jones
10th July 2011, 16:27
Perez for sure. He filled the requirement of having one Sauber driver put in a good drive today.

ioan
10th July 2011, 16:28
Alonso.

Retro Formula 1
10th July 2011, 19:40
Alonso and Hamilton for me. Paul Di Resta had a good weekend but was unlucky.

F1boat
10th July 2011, 20:13
Alonso for sure. After him, Michael - I didn't think that he could score a point from so far back.

i_max2k2
10th July 2011, 21:09
Alonso, Hamilton, and schumi.

Hawkmoon
11th July 2011, 00:45
Alonso easily but Hamilton was a bit up and down. He out-breaked himself twice while trying to pass other cars and ended up off the circuit. He was lucky there is tarmac there these days instead of gravel or we would be talking about him in the donkey thread

rah
11th July 2011, 00:54
Alonso for me, he drove very well indeed.

CNR
11th July 2011, 03:51
Daniel Ricciardo
WA's Daniel Ricciardo finishes last at Silverstone| F1| Grand Prix (http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/motorsport/ricciardo-last-but-maybe-not-least-20110711-1h9mw.html)

just by finishing, he did something that an illustrious list of world champions didn't.

Jack Brabham, Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher, Nelson Piquet, Nigel Mansell and Jenson Button were all forced to retire in their maiden Formula One outings.

The Black Knight
11th July 2011, 08:34
Alonso & Hamilton

Agreed though by virtue of the fact that he made absolutely no mistakes, I'd nearly give the award to Alonso. By the way, how many places did Hamilton make up over the first lap of the race?

I couldn't in good conscience give Schumi close to driver of the day after, yet again, losing another front wing. How many is that this year? Not good enough. Other than that he did drive brilliantly though.

CaptainRaiden
11th July 2011, 08:42
Second, it has to be Mark.

Daniel Ricciardo
WA's Daniel Ricciardo finishes last at Silverstone| F1| Grand Prix (http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/motorsport/ricciardo-last-but-maybe-not-least-20110711-1h9mw.html)

:eek: :laugh: :laugh:

Alonso Driver of the Day no doubt. Lewis second. Although you have to keep in mind that Alonso went from 3rd to 1st, and Hamilton went from 10th to 2nd and then 4th at the end.

bigunn
12th July 2011, 16:26
Perez for sure. He filled the requirement of having one Sauber driver put in a good drive today.

:up:

keysersoze
12th July 2011, 17:57
This will go down as one of Fernando's more impressive wins. He clearly wins the Driver of the Day award.

Jaime, as others have said, did quite well again, and I'm wondering if Buemi is getting a bit worried by JA's recent form.

ioan
12th July 2011, 18:35
This will go down as one of Fernando's more impressive wins.

For inheriting place 1 due to RBR pit stop problems?

I'm not even a fan of his and could come up with several dozens of races where he was much more impressive.
Still he was best out there last Sunday.

CaptainRaiden
12th July 2011, 19:33

And then opening up a 12 second gap to second place. Then hauling another 7 seconds over Vettel towards the end of the race, and finally winning by a margin of 19 seconds in what is the second best car on the grid.

Also overtaking Hamilton, which Vettel in a superior Red Bull couldn't do.

I'm no fan of Alonso, can't stand him, but come on, take your blinkers off. Once he inherited the first place, he was in a different league and I'm unbiased and fair enough to admit it.

ioan
12th July 2011, 20:16
And then opening up a 12 second gap to second place. Then hauling another 7 seconds over Vettel towards the end of the race, and finally winning by a margin of 19 seconds in what is the second best car on the grid.

Also overtaking Hamilton, which Vettel in a superior Red Bull couldn't do.

I'm no fan of Alonso, can't stand him, but come on, take your blinkers off. Once he inherited the first place, he was in a different league and I'm unbiased and fair enough to admit it.

You sure didn't watch MS, KR and RB winning from the back of the grid if you consider that Alonso's inherited win was great.
It was driver of the race, but exceptional? No way!

SGWilko
13th July 2011, 08:51
It was driver of the race

I rather suspect that is why folk mention FA on this thread! Why get your knickers all knotted up over it???

CaptainRaiden
13th July 2011, 11:23
I rather suspect that is why folk mention FA on this thread! Why get your knickers all knotted up over it???

Because Vettel was defeated by a man he really, really doesn't like. ;) :p

Also, so what if it is regarded as one of his more impressive wins? I am no Alonso fan, and I certainly thought it was impressive how he opened up that gap to second. Even if Vettel would have been second after the pit stop, I highly doubt he would have caught Fernando.

AndyL
13th July 2011, 12:01
Daniel Ricciardo

just by finishing, he did something that an illustrious list of world champions didn't.

Jack Brabham, Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher, Nelson Piquet, Nigel Mansell and Jenson Button were all forced to retire in their maiden Formula One outings.

:D
He also joins the illustrious ranks of Luciano Burti, Nicolas Kiesa, Patrick Friesacher, Robert Doornbos, Tiago Monteiro, Scott Speed, Kazuki Nakajima and Romain Grosjean, who also all finished their first F1 race. Surely destined for greatness.

keysersoze
13th July 2011, 20:24

I'm not even a fan of his and could come up with several dozens of races where he was much more impressive.
Still he was best out there last Sunday.

Considering that the Ferrari is the 3rd best car, yeah, I'd still say it's one of Fernando's best results.

And I'm not a fan of his, either.

"Several dozens?" Like, over 50? OK, then, start listing . . .

ioan
13th July 2011, 21:12

If you would get yours of your eyes you could read the reason, alas no chance imo and I better not say why! :D

ioan
13th July 2011, 21:14
Considering that the Ferrari is the 3rd best car . . .

Looking forward to see the proof to this claim based on the lap times over the last week end. Oh wait, who am I kidding?! LOL

steveaki13
13th July 2011, 21:50
Looking forward to see the proof to this claim based on the lap times over the last week end. Oh wait, who am I kidding?! LOL

Have to agree on this, the Ferrari were easily second quickest at Silverstone and were almost even on pace if not slightly ahead of Red Bull.

Retro Formula 1
14th July 2011, 10:56
Have to agree on this, the Ferrari were easily second quickest at Silverstone and were almost even on pace if not slightly ahead of Red Bull.

I still think that the Ferrari was slightly second to the Bull but not far off at all. The regulation changes suited the Ferrari to a tee whereas it murdered the McLaren (cue conspiracy theory ;) )

Arjuna
14th July 2011, 11:12
The changes favor Ferrari? perhaps, but Hamilton finished 4th from nowhere, while Massa was not successful in his attempt to take it in the last lap. :)

Retro Formula 1
14th July 2011, 11:23
The changes favor Ferrari? perhaps, but Hamilton finished 4th from nowhere, while Massa was not successful in his attempt to take it in the last lap. :)

Hamilton made those places in the wet and changeable conditions. When it was fully dry, he didn't have much defence really. Yes, I know in the last few laps he was conserving fuel but even before then, he couldn't keep up.

keysersoze
14th July 2011, 13:45

Where in my post did I say they had the 3rd best car based on lap times from a single GP? That was a pretty lame attempt to put words in my mouth. I'd appreciate it if you would keep from doing that in the future. :mad:

I do, however, have the WCC points as of the British GP:

1. Red Bull 328
2. McLaren 218
3. Ferrari 164

Well well well, it looks as if Ferrari have the 3rd best car. :p I'd be willing to wager that if all the drivers in these three teams were to SWITCH to another of the top three teams, then Ferrari would STILL be 3rd. :s mokin:

The Black Knight
14th July 2011, 14:31
Considering that the Ferrari is the 3rd best car, yeah, I'd still say it's one of Fernando's best results.

And I'm not a fan of his, either.

"Several dozens?" Like, over 50? OK, then, start listing . . .

Alonso said he noticed a massive difference in the handling of the Ferrari last weekend with all the updates. I don't believe it's accurate to state it's the third best car. I think for the past two races they have had the second best car.

keysersoze
14th July 2011, 15:02
Alonso said he noticed a massive difference in the handling of the Ferrari last weekend with all the updates. I don't believe it's accurate to state it's the third best car. I think for the past two races they have had the second best car.

I've noticed over the years that when a driver wins, he says his car handles great. If he finishes second or worse, his car never handles great.

Sure Ferrari were better off in Silverstone than at previous venues, but the scoreboard is always the final authority. And the scoreboard says Ferrari is 3rd. Alonso was sublime.

Does anyone think they will overhaul McLaren for 2nd? They have a bunch of races left to pull it off. I say no.

The Black Knight
14th July 2011, 15:18
I've noticed over the years that when a driver wins, he says his car handles great. If he finishes second or worse, his car never handles great.

Sure Ferrari were better off in Silverstone than at previous venues, but the scoreboard is always the final authority. And the scoreboard says Ferrari is 3rd. Alonso was sublime.

Does anyone think they will overhaul McLaren for 2nd? They have a bunch of races left to pull it off. I say no.

Well that's F1 and drivers opinions on their cars are as changeable as cars are from race to race. Sometimes you will have a track that suits a car and other times you won't. Updates come to car, another team brings more updates to counteract those updates and the cycle continues. Every now and then a team makes a big break through. This may be the case with Ferrari. Time will tell. It doesn't mean they have the third best car on the grid, it just means they had for a while. They may have the second best car for the next two races till either surpass RBR or slip to 3rd behind McLaren and RBR again but, either way, at this moment in time, based on the Silverstone result they have the 2nd best car on the grid.

wedge
14th July 2011, 15:34

Apparently the trick exhaust fiasco from last weekend affected McLaren. They'll bounce back I think.

The Black Knight
14th July 2011, 15:35
Apparently the trick exhaust fiasco from last weekend affected McLaren. They'll bounce back I think.

What really interests me is that it didn't really affect RBR at all and I really expected that it would.

SGWilko
14th July 2011, 15:38
What really interests me is that it didn't really affect RBR at all and I really expected that it would.

Maybe it did. Remember how McLaren were nowhere in testing, then they slapped on a RB style exhaust for Oz and were on the pace? I reckon that both RB and McLaren were disadvantaged, McLaren more so because the car is flattered by the EBD. Ferrari being the miracle gainer is a result of the performance loss for RB.

Probably....!

The Black Knight
14th July 2011, 15:47
Maybe it did. Remember how McLaren were nowhere in testing, then they slapped on a RB style exhaust for Oz and were on the pace? I reckon that both RB and McLaren were disadvantaged, McLaren more so because the car is flattered by the EBD. Ferrari being the miracle gainer is a result of the performance loss for RB.

Probably....!

I'm more inclined to believe that the gain was due to extra downforce gained from the upgrades. After all, if it wasn't, could you really see Ferrari agreeing to return to the Valencia engine maps? I doubt it.

SGWilko
14th July 2011, 15:50
I'm more inclined to believe that the gain was due to extra downforce gained from the upgrades. After all, if it wasn't, could you really see Ferrari agreeing to return to the Valencia engine maps? I doubt it.

I suspect the ongoing alliance/concorde/rights money may well have kept that anomoly in check. Also, with Luca ready to 'run his ailing country' Ferrari needs friends in high places.

I could be talking bollox of course......

The Black Knight
14th July 2011, 15:56
I suspect the ongoing alliance/concorde/rights money may well have kept that anomoly in check. Also, with Luca ready to 'run his ailing country' Ferrari needs friends in high places.

I could be talking bollox of course......

We'll see more in Nurburgring. I suspect Ferrari won't get pole there but they will be closer to RBR than they have previously been. Alonso stated today that he believes the performance difference came from the updates as the car felt immediately better once he drove it than the previous time and it felt like it had more grip in high speed corners. This indicates a significant increase in downforce. I believe this to be the case and it's unlike Alonso to say something only to be proved wrong two weeks later :)

Mia 01
14th July 2011, 17:47

Probably....!

For once, agreed.

IceWizard
14th July 2011, 19:35
Lewis, his charge through the field was only stopped by low fuel.

SGWilko
14th July 2011, 20:13
For once, agreed.

Well raise my rent!!!