PDA

View Full Version : Will or should button be penalized? A reprimand or time penalty taking away win?

markabilly
12th June 2011, 23:34
I suppose we will know soon enough.
My thought is the same as with lewis in Spa, penalty if dry, BUT IT WAS RAINING.

Same here. It was raining.

Of course this is Canada, and how could stewards in Canada, give a victory to some Austrian..............i think not :rolleyes:

no matter how much button may have deserved a penalty....

Cooper_S
12th June 2011, 23:45
imvho.................... NO he should recieve no penalty or reprimand.

steveaki13
12th June 2011, 23:59
On the whole, I think it was a racing incident in the wet weather conditions as was Hamiltons on Webber and Heidfeld on Kobayashi and alike.

But given the amount of penalties dished out these days and the standards they have set, probably should have had a drive thru.

As it is I will be amazed if the stewards don't take an easier option and issue a repremand or a grid penalty at Valencia.

The Black Knight
13th June 2011, 00:05
On the whole, I think it was a racing incident in the wet weather conditions as was Hamiltons on Webber and Heidfeld on Kobayashi and alike.

But given the amount of penalties dished out these days and the standards they have set, probably should have had a drive thru.

As it is I will be amazed if the stewards don't take an easier option and issue a repremand or a grid penalty at Valencia.
I agree. I think it was a racing incident and no more action should be taken.

markabilly
13th June 2011, 00:09
I agree. I think it was a racing incident and no more action should be taken.

Wrong, Too boring, and leave posters with nothing to argue about.

markabilly
13th June 2011, 00:12
otoh, Lewis might collect a penalty agian.

Even Lauda dumped on him for his canadian driving.......and maybe because he is black...

The Black Knight
13th June 2011, 00:13
otoh, Lewis might collect a penalty agian.

Even Lauda dumped on him for his canadian driving.......and maybe because he is black...
Well Lauda must be racist then :p

steveaki13
13th June 2011, 00:15
Wrong, Too boring, and leave posters with nothing to argue about.

OK then. I think Jenson should be banned for 7 races and Lewis should be made to drive a Hispania for the rest of the season and see if he can stay close enough to anyone to crash into them. :D

Brown, Jon Brow
13th June 2011, 00:15
No penalty

The F1 Times | FIA confirms no penalties for Button (http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/03657)

The Black Knight
13th June 2011, 00:18
No penalty

The F1 Times | FIA confirms no penalties for Button (http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/03657)

Great news!

markabilly
13th June 2011, 00:18
No penalty

Of course not. Button is not black.

But clearly Lewis collected a penalty at monaco, for less. Here Button butted two drivers off the track.....

555-04Q2
13th June 2011, 06:14
Great consistancy from the FIA :down:

Maybe its because he's white :D

F1boat
13th June 2011, 07:19
Right decision, at least, but not only, from commercial point of view. About the rest, they say innocent before proven guilty and you can not prove that Jenson was guilty for the accidents.

steveaki13
13th June 2011, 07:43
Button drove a fantastic race and even though I'm a Hamilton fan I can accept his clash was a pure racing incident. His move on Alonso was fair too IMO. I'm getting abit sick of people calling for punishments everytime something happens in a race and it makes me wonder if the stewards and fans are going soft as the years pass. What happened to hard racing of yesteryear? Punishment my a$$ :down:

Agree in a way. I do wonder why Di Resta got a penalty. It was a clumsy move but it didn't cost Heidfeld at the time, so why a pen. then none for Jenson.

If they took a stronger view on penalties maybe fewer correct would be better than many inconsistant.

SGWilko
13th June 2011, 09:18
Can anyone explain how both McLarens were speeding behind the safety car, when, in 5th and 7th positions, they would have been following other traffic and one would assume that, by the laws of physics, by remaining in 5th and 7th positions they could not have been going any faster than the guys in front????

The Black Knight
13th June 2011, 09:24
Can anyone explain how both McLarens were speeding behind the safety car, when, in 5th and 7th positions, they would have been following other traffic and one would assume that, by the laws of physics, by remaining in 5th and 7th positions they could not have been going any faster than the guys in front????

When the safety car is out all cars on the grid must have sector times slower than a specified margin. They didn't have that. It doesn't apply to safety car only. Therefore, setting sector times quicker than what is specified is regarded as speeding.

N4D13
13th June 2011, 09:38
I don't think that any of the crashes in which Button took part were his fault - or at least, no more than the other driver's. Therefore, no penalties is perfectly OK for me. ;)

Mark
13th June 2011, 09:54
When the safety car is out all cars on the grid must have sector times slower than a specified margin. They didn't have that. It doesn't apply to safety car only. Therefore, setting sector times quicker than what is specified is regarded as speeding.

And this applies as soon as the yellow flags start flying, not just when the cars are behind the safety car. This was done to avoid situations where cars would travel at racing speeds trying to catch up to the back of the field or the safety car. Clearly not acceptable when there is a dangerous situation on the track. I believe the idea is that the split times are designed to be slightly faster that the progression of the safety car, so cars can catch up, but can do so with a greater degree of safety.

SGWilko
13th June 2011, 11:00
And this applies as soon as the yellow flags start flying, not just when the cars are behind the safety car. This was done to avoid situations where cars would travel at racing speeds trying to catch up to the back of the field or the safety car. Clearly not acceptable when there is a dangerous situation on the track. I believe the idea is that the split times are designed to be slightly faster that the progression of the safety car, so cars can catch up, but can do so with a greater degree of safety.

So, when did the two McLarens fly past the cars in front due to their excess speed? I don't really get this at all!

Mark
13th June 2011, 11:01
They didn't pass other cars at all, they were just too fast according to the clock

SGWilko
13th June 2011, 11:10
They didn't pass other cars at all, they were just too fast according to the clock

But they all started behind the safety car, so were all doing similar speeds...... :confused:

Robinho
13th June 2011, 11:19
it wasn't on the start i don't think, it was during the first safety car period, probably when Button came out of the pits and the safety car hadn't picked everyone up. At that time the drivers are limited to specific sector times until the cras are all formed up, which is what Button exceeded. Not sure about Lewis tho

SGWilko
13th June 2011, 11:21
it wasn't on the start i don't think, it was during the first safety car period, probably when Button came out of the pits and the safety car hadn't picked everyone up. At that time the drivers are limited to specific sector times until the cras are all formed up, which is what Button exceeded. Not sure about Lewis tho

Ah, now that changes things. What was the cause of the first safety car (after the safety car start I mean!)?

Robinho
13th June 2011, 11:28
wasn't it Lewis parking the stricken McLaren?

SGWilko
13th June 2011, 11:29
wasn't it Lewis parking the stricken McLaren?

OK, so how could he then be investigated for his speed behind the second safety car, when he was out of the race? Even more :confused: