PDA

View Full Version : The tyres

Mark
19th March 2007, 10:55
Don't know if it is just me but can anyone else actually see when cars are using the soft tyres? You can't see the little spots when the car is moving, and in the pit stops the wheel changer dudes usually stand in the way, and the commentators seem equally clueless.

Why not just paint the entire sidewall white and then it's going to be obvious!

Dave B
19th March 2007, 11:00
Agreed. I thought that was the plan, to paint the entire sidewall. I guess not.

As an alternative, teams should be obliged to inform the broadcaster who could put a symbol on the graphics. They managed red Bs and blue Ms when there was a tyre war, so it can't be difficult.

It didn't matter too much in Oz, but there'll doubtless be some races this year where there's a big difference between the two compounds.

slinkster
19th March 2007, 11:02
What is the deal with the hard/soft tyres again? I must have missed them explaining this in the pre-race bit. Am I right in saying they have to use both types through out a race?

pino
19th March 2007, 12:06
This problem was discussed a lot juring Tv sending by ital commentators and guests in a studio ( Alesi, Capelli, engeneer Piola among them ) all agreed that they should change color, Its too confusing right now.

DonJippo
19th March 2007, 12:33
What is the whole point of having to run on two different compounds? Did anyone notice any significant differencies between these two compounds?

Ian McC
19th March 2007, 12:43
As an alternative, teams should be obliged to inform the broadcaster who could put a symbol on the graphics. They managed red Bs and blue Ms when there was a tyre war, so it can't be difficult.

I guess teams would say that this would reveal their strategy, maybe it would be a little difficult to do it at the last minute.

Ian McC
19th March 2007, 12:45
What is the whole point of having to run on two different compounds? Did anyone notice any significant differencies between these two compounds?

I was wondering how much difference it made to Massa having to go half the race whilst using the soft compound.

BDunnell
19th March 2007, 12:56
I just can't imagine F1 cars with white-walled tyres!

FreshF1
19th March 2007, 13:32
I was wondering how much difference it made to Massa having to go half the race whilst using the soft compound.

He definitely did a great job by driving half distance with a heavy fuel load on soft tyres, IMO. I think he couldn't be very aggressive, as we saw he had a hard time passing Rubens (who was also on the Soft compound at the beginning - but not as heavy).

Dave B
19th March 2007, 13:36
What is the deal with the hard/soft tyres again? I must have missed them explaining this in the pre-race bit. Am I right in saying they have to use both types through out a race?
Spot on. Even it's just for one lap, they have to use both types of tyres. It didn't make much difference this time, but could be more significant at other tracks.

wedge
19th March 2007, 14:36
I've seen white spots on the tyre walls and day-glo markings.

I can't see what all the fuss is about. Might as well have universal markings. If the viewers will know about tyre strategy then so will the teams. You can't have it both ways, especially in this day and age.