View Full Version : interesting car spotting thread

Daniel
19th May 2011, 18:03
Basically as the title says :p

Today I saw an RS200

http://rs200.com/images/being_built/03-RS%20200.JPG

Daniel
19th May 2011, 18:41
I used to have a toy RS200 as a kid but haven't seen a real one on the road for 15 or so years. :)

First time I've seen one on the road ever! Not even sure I've seen one ever in real life :mark:

P.S This is an interesting car spotting thread, not a Ooh look there's a fast car :p

Sonic
19th May 2011, 19:34
Funny you should start this thread. I was passed two days ago by this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cizeta-Moroder_V16T

Either that or a very convincing replica. Sounded damn sweet though.

Sonic
19th May 2011, 20:15
I was on the M25 a few weeks ago in between Leatherhead and Byfleet and a Black McLaren MP4-12c went past with partially blacked out windows. Couldn't quite see the driver but I'd like to think it might have been Hamilton or Button considering it was any a few miles from Woking. lol

Then earlier this week I spotted another MP4-12c in Ashchurch near Evesham in full Gulf livery on a Belgian number plate!! Two in a matter of weeks, so I was pleased. :)

Coolio

Daniel
19th May 2011, 20:42
I was on the M25 a few weeks ago in between Leatherhead and Byfleet and a Black McLaren MP4-12c went past with partially blacked out windows. Couldn't quite see the driver but I'd like to think it might have been Hamilton or Button considering it was any a few miles from Woking. lol

Then earlier this week I spotted another MP4-12c in Ashchurch near Evesham in full Gulf livery on a Belgian number plate!! Two in a matter of weeks, so I was pleased. :)

Not that interesting though! :p

MrJan
19th May 2011, 20:59
Saw a MK2 Jag on the way home from work this evening. Not overly rare but still nice to see one about.

odykas
19th May 2011, 23:14
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/uploads/golf6_6.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist :laugh: http://www.motorsportforums.com/forums/images/icons/dead.gif

Brown, Jon Brow
19th May 2011, 23:18
Saw a MK2 Jag on the way home from work this evening. Not overly rare but still nice to see one about.

Got one in the garage at home :D

Eki
20th May 2011, 05:37
Basically as the title says :p

Does it mean that the thread is interesting or that the spotted cars are interesting?

Daniel
20th May 2011, 10:05
I did see a Fiat 500 on the way to work this morning if that bumps up the interest stakes for you Daniel.. ;) :p

I see one every day! BOOOORING! :D

Ranger
20th May 2011, 13:18
I occasionally see a bright yellow Isetta, always a curious addition to anyone's day. :D

Daniel
20th May 2011, 13:22
I occasionally see a bright yellow Isetta, always a curious addition to anyone's day. :D

Far more interesting than an MP4-12C :D

wedge
20th May 2011, 14:27
Try living in Northamptonshire, especially near Santa Pod. The novelty factor will quickly wear off, especially this time of year!

Sure it wasn't a Lotus Evora? :D

Knowing how horrendous the traffic is near Heathrow it can't be that difficult to make that mistake.

Daniel
20th May 2011, 14:31
Try living in Northamptonshire, especially near Santa Pod. The novelty factor will quickly wear off, especially this time of year!

That's why I don't usually get excited when I see a Ferrari or a Lamborghini or whatever :)

wedge
20th May 2011, 15:58
That's why I don't usually get excited when I see a Ferrari or a Lamborghini or whatever :)

I wasn't referring to those, either!

You get used to seeing all sorts off to car shows, race meetings, track days, sampling the 'Evo run' AKA B660 (which is somewhat over rated by Evo staffers)

Captain VXR
21st May 2011, 22:45
I wasn't referring to those, either!

You get used to seeing all sorts off to car shows, race meetings, track days, sampling the 'Evo run' AKA B660 (which is somewhat over rated by Evo staffers)
I kinda get your feeling.I went to an event centred around Japanese cars recently at Castle Combe - you could literally look at a group of NSXs and be a bit 'meh' even though you're lucky to see a couple a year on the roads

tannat
22nd May 2011, 03:06
A local owns a Maserati Merak that he seems to drive on Fridays. Always good to see/hear during the morning commute...

ioan
22nd May 2011, 11:20
The interesting ones I saw lately: Porsche 550 and De Lorean.

Robinho
22nd May 2011, 12:19
i saw a Delorean on the M1/M6 junction going north a few weeks ago, few Nissan GTR's and Gallardos knocking about but they aren't altogether interesting (unless i owned one of course)

i'm always excited when i see a Hillman Imp (or singer chamois) on the road, but not caught sight of one for a while

wedge
22nd May 2011, 15:20
Friday night, passing through Wellingborough, Northants: Noble M12 & M15 and Renault Clio V6 :D

airshifter
23rd May 2011, 03:17
Saw a Lexus LFA a couple weeks back. I'm not sure if it was a tester or private owner, but they got on it fairly hard in the express lane. Now I know there are quicker and faster cars, and the bang for the buck isn't great.

But that little sucker runs, and the sound is downright sweet. Eargasm sweet.

MrJan
23rd May 2011, 10:42
Was doing a hillclimb at the weekend and there was someone in a Ginetta G12, lovely looking car a bit like a mini Chevron B8 and with a virtually central driving position like a McLaren F1.

wedge
23rd May 2011, 13:53
I kinda get your feeling.I went to an event centred around Japanese cars recently at Castle Combe - you could literally look at a group of NSXs and be a bit 'meh' even though you're lucky to see a couple a year on the roads

Dunno about you but it comes down to iterations like NSX-R or NSX-R GT, and for me the same with Porsche 911s with GT2s & GT3s. I can't help but think 'respect! this owner has gone the extra mile!'

Iain
23rd May 2011, 21:08
I saw a beige Morris Marina earlier, with black stripes on the side.

52Paddy
24th May 2011, 11:19
I saw a Morris Minor van a few weeks ago parked outside a pub. I thought someone had driven it up to the pub for the night but it was actually a 'house car' i.e. it was permanently parked outside for 'attention attraction' reasons. Still, it was nice to have a look around it.

The picture attached is not the car but is, as far as I remember, the same model. The one I saw was bright green.

harvick#1
24th May 2011, 18:13
a Chevrolet Volt. Obama should be proud, prolly the only one sold so far :laugh:

inimitablestoo
24th May 2011, 19:05
Fairly sure I saw a Range Rover Evoque the other week, clad in that yellow with black swirl "livery" they seem to apply to pre-production cars these days.

Walking down Birmingham's Broad Street and round the posh bits on the way home from work, I do often see some interesting cars, such as an imported Lincoln or the Audi A7 when it had only been on sale a matter of days. Two, in fact, so probably a dealer promotion. I have noticed how relatively common the Bentley Continental is in these parts too...

GridGirl
24th May 2011, 20:29
It's not surprising that you might see a few decent cars around Brindley Place. At least one Premier League football club has apartments there. Players coming in on loan live there or players who've moved from other clubs and haven't bought houses locally live there. You can quite often see them doing their shopping in Sainsbury's Broad Street and less likely Tesco's at Five Ways.

Daniel
24th May 2011, 21:38
Fairly sure I saw a Range Rover Evoque the other week, clad in that yellow with black swirl "livery" they seem to apply to pre-production cars these days.

Walking down Birmingham's Broad Street and round the posh bits on the way home from work, I do often see some interesting cars, such as an imported Lincoln or the Audi A7 when it had only been on sale a matter of days. Two, in fact, so probably a dealer promotion. I have noticed how relatively common the Bentley Continental is in these parts too...

I think you're misunderstanding the thread :p Audi A7's and Continental's are not interesting :p

There's a rule, if it's the sort of car that a footballer would drive then it's not interesting, not in the slightest.

Mark in Oshawa
26th May 2011, 19:40
I was passed by a Tesla running on the 401 to Windsor/Detroit a week ago....in the country yet. I hope he made it before his batteries died because he was doing about 110km/h...

harvick#1
26th May 2011, 19:49
I was passed by a Tesla running on the 401 to Windsor/Detroit a week ago....in the country yet. I hope he made it before his batteries died because he was doing about 110km/h...

I saw a Tesla at a Best Buy in the parking lot, not a bad looking car

schmenke
26th May 2011, 20:16
I saw a Tesla at a Best Buy in the parking lot, not a bad looking car

Driver must have been shopping for batteries :p :

Iain
27th May 2011, 01:16
I see this car a lot when going to and from work. I figured that it was pretty interesting. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47381765@N04/5616788787/in/photostream

Just spent an hour on that guy's flickr site. He takes photos of old cars he sees out and about, I'm fascinated by it. You just don't see too many pre-1998 cars about anymore. Not saying they're all classic, but I find them interesting all the same. :)

Rollo
27th May 2011, 02:11
I saw Ferrari 212 Inter this morning. I see it every so often parked outside a gym near where I work.

MrJan
27th May 2011, 10:01
Just spent an hour on that guy's flickr site. He takes photos of old cars he sees out and about, I'm fascinated by it. You just don't see too many pre-1998 cars about anymore. Not saying they're all classic, but I find them interesting all the same. :)

I think that you probably see more than you think, you just don't realise. Like how an early Renault Laguna still looks reasonably modern but is actually about 15 years old. The 90s saw a huge leap in car design so that where a 10 year old car in '95 would look really old a 10 year old car in '05 would seem fairly newish...if that makes sense.

Daniel
27th May 2011, 10:31
I see this car a lot when going to and from work. I figured that it was pretty interesting. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47381765@N04/5616788787/in/photostream

If you find that sort of stuff interesting then you might be interested in signing up on www.autoshoite.com (http://www.autoshoite.com) obviously remove the o!

They're the sort of guys who will be more interested in a mint Mk1 Fiesta that's only done 10,000 miles and is in good nick than a Veyron. They also seem to have an irrational love of British cars :p

Daniel
27th May 2011, 10:37
I think that you probably see more than you think, you just don't realise. Like how an early Renault Laguna still looks reasonably modern but is actually about 15 years old. The 90s saw a huge leap in car design so that where a 10 year old car in '95 would look really old a 10 year old car in '05 would seem fairly newish...if that makes sense.

I would say though, that in the UK people get rid of cars quicker than they do in Australia. My 406 was a sub £1000 car here and I stupidly fixed the head once and when the head went again it got scrappaged. In Australia it would definitely have been a fixxer upper. I'm surprised at how many 90's cars have disappeared off the roads since I arrived here just under 5 years ago. I think all those perfectly good 90's cars which got scrappaged and shredded are a great loss and in 10 years time there'll be a big hole that they've left.

You are right that a 95 car looks newer now than a 16 year old car did in 95!

Laguna
http://carsguide.com.au/images/uploads/Renault-Laguna-1995LR.jpg

1979 car!
http://www.autoplenum.de/Bilder/testreports/jwo20081018013628/Peugeot-504.jpg

Captain VXR
27th May 2011, 12:04
Dunno about you but it comes down to iterations like NSX-R or NSX-R GT, and for me the same with Porsche 911s with GT2s & GT3s. I can't help but think 'respect! this owner has gone the extra mile!'

I agree 100%
I always appreciate a sighting of a nice GT3 RS but have only seen 'ordinary' NSXs on the road
The rarest special based on a common-ish car (well there's quite a lot of Astons in Bath) is tis beauty that I once caught a glimpse of in London:
http://gallery.brit-cars.com/data/659/Aston-Martin-DB7-Zagato-Side-Speed.jpg
Oh, and I saw a Nissan Leaf on the road before any UK magazines had road tested it. It looked very ordinary.

Ranger
27th May 2011, 12:10
The interesting ones I saw lately: Porsche 550 and De Lorean.

I saw a Porsche 550 for the first time ever today but it could've been a replica. Who drives one around the city in peak hour? :p

MrJan
27th May 2011, 12:20
I would say though, that in the UK people get rid of cars quicker than they do in Australia. My 406 was a sub £1000 car here and I stupidly fixed the head once and when the head went again it got scrappaged. In Australia it would definitely have been a fixxer upper. I'm surprised at how many 90's cars have disappeared off the roads since I arrived here just under 5 years ago. I think all those perfectly good 90's cars which got scrappaged and shredded are a great loss and in 10 years time there'll be a big hole that they've left.

Yeah we do seem to have quite a throwaway culture when it comes to cars. I know that when my brother was looking for a car in Canada he was astounded by how expensive the second hand market was. Over here I might be looking at a Jag X-Type this evening that is £2600, that's just crazy.

MrJan
27th May 2011, 12:23
I saw a Porsche 550 for the first time ever today but it could've been a replica. Who drives one around the city in peak hour? :p

Way to confuse me with the username change.....only I should be able to do that :p :

Ranger
27th May 2011, 12:43
Way to confuse me with the username change.....only I should be able to do that :p :

I've always had this name, you just haven't noticed. ;) :D

There's a pretty nice 70's Mustang I see around as well, not that common here.

Iain
27th May 2011, 13:04
If you find that sort of stuff interesting then you might be interested in signing up on www.autoshoite.com (http://www.autoshoite.com) obviously remove the o!

They're the sort of guys who will be more interested in a mint Mk1 Fiesta that's only done 10,000 miles and is in good nick than a Veyron. They also seem to have an irrational love of British cars :p

I'm not saying I find it interesting if it's a mint example of a car, it can be an old shed. It's just nice to see something I remember from when I was a kid. Too many cars these days are simply clones of another car. Older cars are more individual in their style, ugly or not. I see so many crappy Citroen C1s and Peugeot 107s round here that it makes a change to see something different.

ioan
27th May 2011, 20:51
Yesterday there was a Z1 in the parking lot, beautiful car even after so many years.

52Paddy
28th May 2011, 21:31
I saw a few interesting cars during the week: Triumph TR6, Mercedes 600, a pristine 1965 Mini Cooper and a Mercedes 300SL (gullwing - was in need of restoration). There is also a beautiful example of a BMW 635 from 1979 sitting in a garden in my suburb. I wonder how well it works under the bonnet though....

Robinho
28th May 2011, 22:03
Today a nice Nissan GTR and the 1st BMW 1 series M, or whatever its called, now that actually looks and sounds like great car in the metal

MrJan
1st June 2011, 09:11
This thread can now be closed :p :

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8630/1004846l.jpg

They don't come much more 'interesting' than that, someone at work spotted it yesterday evening and thought it was worth taking a photo of.

Daniel
1st June 2011, 09:31

They don't come much more 'interesting' than that, someone at work spotted it yesterday evening and thought it was worth taking a photo of.

AWESOME. That's EXACTLY what I'm talking about :D

555-04Q2
1st June 2011, 10:38
On the way to work today:

A Ferrari F355 Spider
A Porsche Boxster S (can only be a gay guy)
About 20 Golf 6 GTI's
About 500 BMW's
About 501 Merc's
2 Buses
5000 Mini Bus Taxi's

52Paddy
1st June 2011, 18:59

1989 Renault Alpine GTA | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/47381765@N04/5616788787/in/photostream)

Funny enough, I saw a black one of these this evening.

MrJan
2nd June 2011, 08:44
Last night I decided to pop down to the Ferrari/Maserati garage for a bit of a perv. Largely uninteresting stuff in the showroom (458s, Gran Turismos, F430s etc.) but out the back I spied what looked like a 288GTO and an F50 (don't really see many of them about).

And going back a few years they had one of these beasts:
http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/435939/800px-Ferrari_288_GTO.jpg

Very impressive thing that I didn't even know existed before I saw it there. Apparently some chap wanted a test drive, so (i think I'm right in saying) they flew it out to Barcelona for him to have a thrash on the track.

ioan
2nd June 2011, 09:52
Last night I decided to pop down to the Ferrari/Maserati garage for a bit of a perv. Largely uninteresting stuff in the showroom (458s, Gran Turismos, F430s etc.) but out the back I spied what looked like a 288GTO and an F50 (don't really see many of them about).

And going back a few years they had one of these beasts:
http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/435939/800px-Ferrari_288_GTO.jpg

Very impressive thing that I didn't even know existed before I saw it there. Apparently some chap wanted a test drive, so (i think I'm right in saying) they flew it out to Barcelona for him to have a thrash on the track.

The 288 Evoluzione, it was the testing base for the F40 mechanicals. Only a few originals exist.

ioan
2nd June 2011, 09:54

Wouldn't want to drive that one as it looks like it's front wheel adherence is almost zero.

MrJan
2nd June 2011, 09:57
The 288 Evoluzione, it was the testing base for the F40 mechanicals. Only a few originals exist.

Yeah they only ever made 5, I assume they must all still be around as it's not something you're likely to scrap or let fall apart. My brother went in and had a good chat with the salesman about it, it's one of those rare beasts that you never really hear about, let alone get to see.

Iain
7th June 2011, 19:41
Spotted a 1978 Citroen CX yesterday. What a wacky looking thing, even in this day and age. :)

ioan
7th June 2011, 20:37
There was a KTM Bow parked just around the corner this evening, 2nd time I see one (probably the same one).

odykas
7th June 2011, 21:46
On the way to work today:

A Ferrari F355 Spider
A Porsche Boxster S (can only be a gay guy)
About 20 Golf 6 GTI's
About 500 BMW's
About 501 Merc's
2 Buses
5000 Mini Bus Taxi's

If the Boxster is gay then I wonder what the Golf is :p :

Daniel
7th June 2011, 21:50
If the Boxster is gay then I wonder what Golf is :p :

In the closet?

slinkster
7th June 2011, 21:50
I once saw a Zonda in a local Shell station. Think it's the only time I've seen one.

Daniel
7th June 2011, 21:51
I once saw a Zonda in a local Shell station. Think it's the only time I've seen one.

INTERESTING cars, not fast ones :)

Brown, Jon Brow
7th June 2011, 21:53
http://www.carpages.co.uk/saab/saab-images/saab-9-5-27-08-09.jpg

I've never seen one till the other day :\

Daniel
7th June 2011, 22:22
http://www.carpages.co.uk/saab/saab-images/saab-9-5-27-08-09.jpg

I've never seen one till the other day :\

I saw one a few weeks ago two. Very nice IMHO and a lot more Saabish than previous cars.

odykas
8th June 2011, 20:47
Wir leben autos :p :

555-04Q2
9th June 2011, 06:02
If the Boxster is gay then I wonder what the Golf is :p :

Basic transport with a little bit of go :p :