PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Spanish Grand Prix Thread - Nothing like being in continental Europe...

gloomyDAY
14th May 2011, 15:26
to make you miss the flyaway races. :p

The teams' are coming out swinging!

Sauber (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91356)

McLaren (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91353)

There are other teams, but I'm too lazy to post the articles.

Sonic
15th May 2011, 09:37
This ones gonna be very interesting. Have the new regs worked? This track IMO will answer that question.

Overtaking into turn one has always been tough. It doesn't have a huge braking zone as turn one is quite quick and cambered positively so DRS could really come into it's own here. Plus the tyres have been the unknown factor at all the GP's so far, but they have a huge amount of data already for Spain so if we are still seeing a mix of strategies and pace then Pirelli will have done what they set out to do.

I'm looking forward to it.

slowDan
15th May 2011, 13:24
If they get the DRS zone right its going to take some big cahunas to get past into turn 1. Especially if its Schumi you're trying to pass!

I got the impression from pre-season testing that the temperatures were too low to tell the teams much about how the tyres will work next week?

Fingers crossed for a good one again.

SGWilko
16th May 2011, 09:09
I got the impression from pre-season testing that the temperatures were too low to tell the teams much about how the tyres will work next week?

Fingers crossed for a good one again.

It was the severe degradation in testing that earned Pirelli a lot of criticism. Given that there was never a time while testing in Spain that the track was ever at anything like a representative race temp, and given that degradation increases with temp, are we in for a lottery, or have the tyres changed considerably since then?

steveaki13
16th May 2011, 18:32
Wasn't it in 1997 that the Spanish GP had a real problem with tyre wear. Panis overcoming it to finish 3rd? in a prost.

Without the final turn being a mighty corner these days, we shouldn't see as many problems but with the soft Pirelli's who knows.

Sonic
16th May 2011, 19:00
Wasn't it in 1997 that the Spanish GP had a real problem with tyre wear. Panis overcoming it to finish 3rd? in a prost.

Without the final turn being a mighty corner these days, we shouldn't see as many problems but with the soft Pirelli's who knows.

You are right I believe. It was the first race I had ever seen the phenomenon of blistering. It's actually one of the main reasons I'm not inclined in any way to slag Pirelli. Bridgestone have produced perhaps the best F1 rubber ever, yet here they were in their early days having tyres blistering down the the canvas.

steveaki13
16th May 2011, 19:30
You are right I believe. It was the first race I had ever seen the phenomenon of blistering. It's actually one of the main reasons I'm not inclined in any way to slag Pirelli. Bridgestone have produced perhaps the best F1 rubber ever, yet here they were in their early days having tyres blistering down the the canvas.

I agree

I have said it before on several threads, that while I believe the hards need to be a bit harder, I have no issue with Pirelli and no grudge against them.

I too am looking forward to seeing whether the tyres and DRS give us a decent Grand Prix in Spain.

The last GP on spanish soil that I remember really getting excited over, was 2001. When Schumi and Hakkinen had one of their epect battles and Hakkinen conked out on the last lap.

F1boat
18th May 2011, 15:51
The race will probably very fun. I hope that Alonso and Ferrari will do well.

Dave B
19th May 2011, 14:58
Loooooooooooooooong DRS zone for Spain, with the detection zone just before the final corner and the activation zone at the start/finish line. Hopefully we won't see a repeat of Turkey with cars breezing past on the straight, but rather setting up a nice battle into turns 1 & 2.

Here's the map (PDF):
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/esp-circuit.pdf

truefan72
19th May 2011, 17:16
Loooooooooooooooong DRS zone for Spain, with the detection zone just before the final corner and the activation zone at the start/finish line. Hopefully we won't see a repeat of Turkey with cars breezing past on the straight, but rather setting up a nice battle into turns 1 & 2.

Here's the map (PDF):
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre/f1_media/Documents/esp-circuit.pdf

you would have to make the pass on the straight because trying to pass at the turn 1-2 complex is asking for trouble
this might prove problematic since ity is hard to keep close to the front car after the last chicane at turn 15. usually the front car gets a bit of an advantage there.
so I expect this drs effect to be much like australia IMO

20th May 2011, 05:06
Watch F1 Spanish Grand Prix 2011 Live Stream Online - Barcelona f1 GP here. The 2011 Spanish Grand Prix is a Formula One motor race that will be held on 22 May 2011 at the Circuit de Catalunya in Montmeló, Spain.

http://www.sportsbun.com/spanish-grand-prix-2011-live-stream-formula-1-online-f1/

truefan72
20th May 2011, 14:27
can they please fire the tv race director!!1
cuts away from the Force india Virgin action to show alonso cruising around
I know it is only FP2, but when there is something going on, please stay with it
man it is soooooooooo frustrating

slowDan
20th May 2011, 20:18
So Lewis just about managed to keep up with Webber!

How big is the chance that Vettel wasn't just faffing around and doesn't have any speed left for qualifying on Pole tomorrow: Very small? Or very very small? :p :

Zico
21st May 2011, 00:09

How big is the chance that Vettel wasn't just faffing around and doesn't have any speed left for qualifying on Pole tomorrow: Very small? Or very very small? :p :

I think McLaren are definately getting closer but I wouldn't read too much into the practice times. I expect tomorow to show more of the same.. a Red Bull, most likely Vettel, in P1 by a decent margin, Lewis maybe in P2 if he has a good Q3 qualy and isn't going against his competitive nature playing the 'bigger picture' tyres game.
Lewis himself believes and has said this week that come qualifying the Red Bulls have so much in reserve that they simply turn up their cars "they switch something on and gain half a second" (BBC news interview) improvement of their practice pace.

ShiftingGears
21st May 2011, 08:55

Vettel certainly has a great ability to pull everything out when it comes to qualifying. Whether it's enough, well, we will see.

Roamy
21st May 2011, 09:13

I think Villeneuve won on a laughter. Why do I think that - I think I was there !! :)

Koz
21st May 2011, 10:25
Nick's car is on fire!

Literally!

Edit: Sounds like he won't be able to take part in the qualifying with a new chassis - which he will most likely need.

ioan
21st May 2011, 11:27
Ferrari's new wing has been banned:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91568

ioan
21st May 2011, 11:30
Vettel certainly has a great ability to pull everything out when it comes to qualifying. Whether it's enough, well, we will see.

He did OK in P3 with only one flying lap:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91570

Sonic
21st May 2011, 11:45
He did OK in P3 with only one flying lap:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91570

Everyone else can go home. Red Bull are approaching FW14B levels of domination - 1.3 seconds quicker! WOW!

ioan
21st May 2011, 13:15
I wonder why did Torro Rosso and Sauber decide to use the soft tires in Q1?
Unless Heidfeld can take part in Q1 there is no use for them to run the soft tires and would still qualify on the hards ahead of 2xHRT, 2xVirgin, 2xLotus and Heidfeld.

ioan
21st May 2011, 13:19
Heidfeld can not take part in Q1 and all those who used a set of soft tires in Q1 are idiots, minus Kovalainen who did make it to Q2 where he will be last anyway.

Koz
21st May 2011, 13:25
Heidfeld can not take part in Q1 and all those who used a set of soft tires in Q1 are idiots, minus Kovalainen who did make it to Q2 where he will be last anyway.

I cannot believe the stupidity of these people... But surely the biggest idiot has to be whoever decided that Petrov should go out on softs, surely his team would have known Nick had no chance of qualifying?

Some people really do need to be bitch-slapped right now.

http://aaronandandy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/bitchslap4.gif

AndyL
21st May 2011, 13:26
Given that Kovalainen on soft tyres set a time 0.3s behind Alonso on hards, a lot of runners really did need to go out on softs. At least until it turned out Rubens wasn't going to set another lap.

Anyone who set a hard tyre time in the late 1:25's was in danger of getting beaten by Kovalainen.

ioan
21st May 2011, 13:45
Anyone who set a hard tyre time in the late 1:25's was in danger of getting beaten by Kovalainen.

They should have tried another better lap on hard tires first.
Is one place on the grid worth a set of new soft tires in the race?

donKey jote
21st May 2011, 13:47
what are the rules on heidfeld if he doesn't post a time within 107%, does free practise count?

AndyL
21st May 2011, 13:52
They should have tried another better lap on hard tires first.
Is one place on the grid worth a set of new soft tires in the race?

For most there probably wasn't time to do that, and still have time to do a run on softs if it wasn't enough. And if Alonso was doing 1:25.5 on hards, what chance was there of Sauber and Torro Rosso going faster?

Well done to Maldonado - on a par with the Ferraris in Q2 and 2-3 tenths off the Mercs. Williams not as bad as we thought?

AndyL
21st May 2011, 13:57
what are the rules on heidfeld if he doesn't post a time within 107%, does free practise count?

Free practice doesn't count towards the 107%, but there is discretion to allow a non-qualifier to race. Which will be granted since the Renault is clearly plenty fast enough.

Mark
21st May 2011, 14:01
Yep, 107% is meant to keep out those cars which are too slow to race. Not to penalise those who had unfortunate problems.

ioan
21st May 2011, 14:02
Well done Webber.

ioan
21st May 2011, 14:03

As long as he proved that he has good pace during the FPs he will be allowed to race.

donKey jote
21st May 2011, 14:07
ok good :)

donKey jote
21st May 2011, 14:08
damn .003 sec :p

Hawkmoon
21st May 2011, 14:15
damn .003 sec :p

More telling number is the 0.9 sec difference between car #5 and car #6. That's a bloody big gap between teammates.

donKey jote
21st May 2011, 14:42
Alonso managed somehow to get a fantastic lap in... he was so happy he even squealed like a vettel at the end of it :laugh:

Sonic
21st May 2011, 15:27
Jaaaazus! Where did Williams find that pace? Rubens could have pumped that top 6! What a turn around.

Glad Webs is giving the kid something to think about.

ioan
21st May 2011, 15:48
Glad Webs is giving the kid something to think about.

Like: "Hope they will repair my KERS in time for the race!" ?

Hawkmoon
21st May 2011, 15:52
Like: "Hope they will repair my KERS in time for the race!" ?

Can they do that without braking parc ferme? I thought they could change wing angles and tire pressures and that was about it. Maybe top up some fluids. If fixing Vettel's KERS involved changing a part then surely he'd get some kind of penalty?

ioan
21st May 2011, 16:20
Can they do that without braking parc ferme? I thought they could change wing angles and tire pressures and that was about it. Maybe top up some fluids. If fixing Vettel's KERS involved changing a part then surely he'd get some kind of penalty?

The rules have been changed so many times since the introduction of the parc ferme rules that I am not sure anymore what can be done.

steveaki13
21st May 2011, 21:36
Well done Webber for pole.

The Red Bull's are so much faster than the rest, and Vettel wasn't even using KERS. That might make Webber think a bit.

So it should be a easy-ish 1-2 for RB if they keep it on the black stuff. Lets just hope we get a good Webber v Vettel battle for the win, we don't need one of them retiring on lap 1 and leading to a coasty win by the other.

As for the rest, I think anyone of 5 or 6 drivers could finish 3rd.

F1boat
21st May 2011, 21:57
Well done for MW!

Zico
22nd May 2011, 10:13
The rules have been changed so many times since the introduction of the parc ferme rules that I am not sure anymore what can be done.

I believe its just car set up thats locked in. Before qualifying Im sure I remember hearing EJ (or was it DC?) say that they can replace broken/damaged items in parc ferme conditions.

ioan
22nd May 2011, 11:13
I believe its just car set up thats locked in. Before qualifying Im sure I remember hearing EJ (or was it DC?) say that they can replace broken/damaged items in parc ferme conditions.

Thanks for the info. :)

steveaki13
22nd May 2011, 11:51

Thanks for the info. :)

But since when can you trust what Eddie Jordan says? :p

ioan
22nd May 2011, 13:00
Race is about to start, time to turn on my TV tuner.

ioan
22nd May 2011, 13:03
Stupid Webber.

Great start by Alonso, Vettel and Schumacher! :eek:

Horrible start by Button, again.

ioan
22nd May 2011, 13:18
Catastrophic strategy by RedBull. They put Vettel behind the whole train. Stupid!
Luckily Vettel shows great overtaking ability here and manages to stay close behind Alonso!

Mark
22nd May 2011, 13:20
Catastrophic strategy by RedBull. They put Vettel behind the whole train. Stupid!
Luckily Vettel shows great overtaking ability here and manages to stay close behind Alonso!

He recovered quickly so not a problem

ioan
22nd May 2011, 13:27
Schumacher loosing huge amounts of time behind Di Resta, he should take some lessons from Vettel about overtaking slower cars.

ioan
22nd May 2011, 13:28
He recovered quickly so not a problem

He would have been ahead if not for stupid strategy, so it is a problem.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2011, 13:30
He would have been ahead if not for stupid strategy, so it is a problem.

How?
If he had pitted a lap later he would have pitted the same lap as Alonso.

Ranger
22nd May 2011, 13:31
Vettel has to be 4-stopping with a second stop on lap 19?

Mark
22nd May 2011, 13:33
Like I said, no problem!

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2011, 13:34
Hamilton has to stay out longer because he used his new tyres first. Go on son!!!

Mark
22nd May 2011, 13:37
He's losing too much time now. Time to come in.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2011, 13:39
He's losing too much time now. Time to come in.

Hamiliton should be quick now as his tyres have 3 less laps on.

Hawkmoon
22nd May 2011, 13:42
All the DRS/Pirelli naysayers should be happy. It's just like the good old days, nary a pass to be seen.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2011, 13:43
Hamiliton should be quick now as his tyres have 3 less laps on.

And Hamilton is catching Vettel.

Warriwa
22nd May 2011, 13:52
Webber's strategy is in the toilet. That's the third time he has followed Alonso into the pits. Try something different maybe?

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2011, 13:55
WTF is this race director??? Missing all the passing.

veeten
22nd May 2011, 14:00
and here comes Button. First Webber, and then Alonso.

veeten
22nd May 2011, 14:03
and Massa spins off track. He is having an awful day.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2011, 14:06
I don't underdstand Ferrari strategy. Why wasn't the 3rd stint on softs if he is on the hards again now for the 4th stint.

N4D13
22nd May 2011, 14:11
I don't understand why Ferrari made Alonso pit right after Vettel when he was leading. It was obvious that he wouldn't be able to get back in from of Sebastian, so why did they do that? Alonso's only objective in this race is to screw the other drivers as much as he can - there's nothing else he can do.

Oh, and this time I must say that these Pirellis are utter cr@p. Alonso has done four stops so far and he might even need to do a fifth one - strategy has played a part in it as well, but the tyres are BS.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2011, 14:14
I don't understand why Ferrari made Alonso pit right after Vettel when he was leading. It was obvious that he wouldn't be able to get back in from of Sebastian, so why did they do that? Alonso's only objective in this race is to screw the other drivers as much as he can - there's nothing else he can do.

Oh, and this time I must say that these Pirellis are utter cr@p. Alonso has done four stops so far and he might even need to do a fifth one - strategy has played a part in it as well, but the tyres are BS.

The tryes are ****, but this is an exciting race.

Without the **** tyres the Red Bulls would have been 20 seconds in front by now.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2011, 14:16
Go on Hamilton. Make the hards last and put some softs on!!

:(

Simmo666
22nd May 2011, 14:19
They only have 3 sets of soft tyres for the race. They made 2 stops to put some on, but what the commentators seem to be completely forgetting is that they STARTED on the other set. That's why they're all having to run 2 sets of hard tyres.

veeten
22nd May 2011, 14:20
Heikki crashes out...

Mark
22nd May 2011, 14:22
It was good watching Hamilton trying to catch Vettel but he just hasn't got the pace.

Mark
22nd May 2011, 14:26
Perhaps spoke to soon as Hamilton is in DRS range.

ioan
22nd May 2011, 14:44
Great race by Vettel, but what the hell with this 'ring ding ding'?!

yodasarmpit
22nd May 2011, 14:47
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00241/crazy-frog_241659a.jpg

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2011, 14:49
I love listening to the drivers in the room before the podium.

Ranger
22nd May 2011, 14:50
Don't really know how Vettel will fail to win the WDC at this rate. :\

Mark
22nd May 2011, 14:51
No Vettel is WDC this year for sure. Unless something crazy happens.

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2011, 14:53
No Vettel is WDC this year for sure. Unless something crazy happens.

Such as the diffuser rules being changed?

tolis
22nd May 2011, 14:54
Can someone post the top8?
1.Vettel
2.Hamilton
3.Button
???

N4D13
22nd May 2011, 14:59
1.Vettel
2.Hamilton
3.Button
???
Webber, Alonso, Schumacher, Rosberg, Heidfeld.

ioan
22nd May 2011, 15:00
1.Vettel
2.Hamilton
3.Button
???

Google brings up some great links:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/91630

Mark
22nd May 2011, 15:01
Such as the diffuser rules being changed?

Such as that yes!!

ioan
22nd May 2011, 15:02
That wouldn't make the others faster either as they are all using it.

tolis
22nd May 2011, 15:04
thx guys!!!

donKey jote
22nd May 2011, 15:04
ham, but, web and alg under investigation for not slowing under yellow ?!

ioan
22nd May 2011, 15:06
ham, but, web and alg under investigation for not slowing under yellow ?!

Alonso might still win the race! :p
At least until Williams contests the EBD! :D

AndyL
22nd May 2011, 15:11
Oh dear - Hamilton, Button and Webber under investigation for not slowing under yellow flags. If they get DQed, Vettel will have one hand on the championship after 5 races!

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2011, 15:14
Oh dear - Hamilton, Button and Webber under investigation for not slowing under yellow flags.

I expect a penalty for Hamilton. He set his PB for that sector at that point under yellow flags. Even though he had fresh tyres. You can't do that.

Dave B
22nd May 2011, 15:14
Oh dear - Hamilton, Button and Webber under investigation for not slowing under yellow flags.

I did wonder, as there were a lot of green sectors appearing when Kovy was being recovered :s

steveaki13
22nd May 2011, 15:15
Wow Schumi on the podium maybe.

AndyL
22nd May 2011, 15:15
Of course if they all get a 25 second penalty, it will make no difference to the result.

steveaki13
22nd May 2011, 15:16
No only if they get disqualified will the result change.

But more likely 25 sceonds on each race time.

UltimateDanGTR
22nd May 2011, 15:16
Hmmm, If Hamilton, Button and Webber are planted with a time penalty, I assume none of them would lose any positions because Alonso was a lap down. So, the only way this could majorly affect the results is if they are completely DSQ'd, which would seem rather harsh.

Mark
22nd May 2011, 15:17
So they'll probably give them the penalty then as there will be no appeals. They won't disqualify them for that.

truefan72
22nd May 2011, 15:19
Vettel was also faster in that sector I remember he did a 33.1 on that lap while Hamilton did a 33.8
in the next lap Hamilton did a 32.9 in that sector while Vettel did a 33.2

but they will have to see if he was faster in that zone or made the time up by going faster later in the sector

all in all, it is a stupid investigation and once again the FIA are finding ways to ruin the show. and they wonder why people are less interested in the sport

Dave B
22nd May 2011, 15:21
all in all, it is a stupid investigation and once again the FIA are finding ways to ruin the show. and they wonder why people are less interested in the sport
Why is it stupid to investigate if drivers break a rule - especially one which is designed to promote safety?

AndyL
22nd May 2011, 15:22
Alguersuari would also only lose one place from 16th to 17th, so they probably wouldn't grumble too much about a 25s penalty either.

Mark
22nd May 2011, 15:23
Why is it stupid to investigate if drivers break a rule - especially one which is designed to promote safety?

The problem with the slowing rule is that it's not well enough defined. You have to go slower, exactly how slow and for how long and where?

AndyL
22nd May 2011, 15:24
Vettel was also faster in that sector I remember he did a 33.1 on that lap while Hamilton did a 33.8
in the next lap Hamilton did a 32.9 in that sector while Vettel did a 33.2

but they will have to see if he was faster in that zone or made the time up by going faster later in the sector

I think the on-board replay showed that Vettel had just got past the area before the yellow flag was show. He saw a green but not the yellow.

AndyL
22nd May 2011, 15:24
The problem with the slowing rule is that it's not well enough defined. You have to go slower, exactly how slow and for how long and where?

And if you already were going slow to preserve your tyres, do you need to slow down more?

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2011, 15:25
And if you already were going slow to preserve your tyres, do you need to slow down more?

If you have fresh tyres you can lift for the yellow flag zone but make the time up later in the sector.

truefan72
22nd May 2011, 15:27

because if it was a serious, they would have dealt with it during the race. given that there was enough time to administer any punishment.
Instead they wait for the outcome then decide to launch and investigation, after the podium cerimoines and top 3 interview
its a farce in my book.
Why is it as a fan siting at home privy to less info than the stewards I can deduce within a lap of the incident the relative lap times and sector times of most of the drivers simply by looking at my archaic timing screen and live feed, but they can't?

I assume because nothing was mentioned during the race, not even a message about a potential investigation coming up on the feed that they were good to go, then half an hour after the race, after the podium celebration, driver interviews and media interviews by other drivers in the paddock, an announcement comes ?
its is just ridiculous

Dave B
22nd May 2011, 15:28

Well yes, but in this case the timing screen was going beserk with green sectors, so it seems clear they weren't even trying to slow.

Of course, we only see the three sectors, it's conceivable that the drivers slowed for the few yards covered by the yellows and still set good times - hence the investigations where the stewards will see more data than us.

Dave B
22nd May 2011, 15:30
Why is it as a fan siting at home privy to less info than the stewards I can deduce within a lap of the incident the relative lap times and sector times of most of the drivers simply by looking at my archaic timing screen and live feed, but they can't?

Because, as I mentioned in the last post, you can't see that data. We only see the time for the whole sector, the stewards will need to look at the data from the cars especially the throttle trace. It's frustrating, I agree, but it's the right process.

truefan72
22nd May 2011, 15:31
If you have fresh tyres you can lift for the yellow flag zone but make the time up later in the sector.

which is probably what those guys did, probably lifted then employed kers to make up the time
but as usual the FIA and stewards never miss an opportunity to ruing a great race

They are like overzealous soccer, baseball or basketball refs who think people pay good money to come watch them blow the whistle or influence a game.
In this case much worse, because they are handing out red and yellow cards after the game is over for incidents that happended in the 60th minute of the game

truefan72
22nd May 2011, 15:32
Because, as I mentioned in the last post, you can't see that data. We only see the time for the whole sector, the stewards will need to look at the data from the cars especially the throttle trace. It's frustrating, I agree, but it's the right process.

...which is actually making my point even better,
with all that info they should be able to get quicker answers

Dave B
22nd May 2011, 15:33
...which is actually making my point even better,
with all that info they should be able to get quicker answers

And if they need to interview a driver? Should they do that over the radio at 190mph?

truefan72
22nd May 2011, 15:39
And if they need to interview a driver? Should they do that over the radio at 190mph?

and what are they interviewing a driver for,
this is not a he said she said situation or even about communication etc

do they interview drivers for exceeding the pit lane speed?
do they interview drivers who get penalties during the race?

c'mon now

steveaki13
22nd May 2011, 15:41

Yep.

The age old question of How Slow is Slow? (How longs a piece of string).

Dave B
22nd May 2011, 15:45
and what are they interviewing a driver for,
this is not a he said she said situation or even about communication etc

do they interview drivers for exceeding the pit lane speed?
do they interview drivers who get penalties during the race?

c'mon now

Which is why I said "and if". Anyway, it's not inconceivable they'd want to interview the drivers in this situation to check that they had seen the flags. Patience, my friend, we'll have a decision very soon. If a penalty is to be applied it's likely to be a 25 second addition, which wouldn't change the result anyway. :)

Of course, it could always be a grid penalty for Monaco... :eek:

truefan72
22nd May 2011, 15:49
btw we went from one extreme of the DRS zone in Turkey to the other with this race.
I already said early in the weekend that it would be like Australia where there won't be any advantage to it because of its placement, and sadly it tunred out to be the case
they should have place it between turn 9 and 10

steveaki13
22nd May 2011, 15:57
btw we went from one extreme of the DRS zone in Turkey to the other with this race.
I already said early in the weekend that it would be like Australia where there won't be any advantage to it because of its placement, and sadly it tunred out to be the case
they should have place it between turn 9 and 10

That is the only other option as there aren't many straights in Spain, but I wonder if the straight would be to short. Having said that it didn't make a large difference on a long straight so maybe should have given it a go on the secondry straight.

Mark
22nd May 2011, 15:57
No punishment for the drivers.

steveaki13
22nd May 2011, 16:02
A long while since we have seen a race where the top four lapped the rest, and 5th down was over a lap behind. And some midfield teams were 2 laps down and the backmarkers 4 and 5 laps down.

Think back to 2009 when hardly anyone was lapped.

truefan72
22nd May 2011, 16:14
Which is why I said "and if". If a penalty is to be applied it's likely to be a 25 second addition, which wouldn't change the result anyway. :)

Of course, it could always be a grid penalty for Monaco... :eek:

lets hope for the former if penalties are handed out

Dave B
22nd May 2011, 16:15
No penalties - just reprimands.

Mark
22nd May 2011, 16:16
i.e. No punishments at all.

Dave B
22nd May 2011, 16:17
Immediate cessation of chocolate rations.

markabilly
22nd May 2011, 16:17

yep

Dave B
22nd May 2011, 16:20
'Ello 'ello 'ello, D.I. Blundell proceeding in a northerly direction towards the forum and making no comment.

ioan
22nd May 2011, 16:20
A long while since we have seen a race where the top four lapped the rest, and 5th down was over a lap behind. And some midfield teams were 2 laps down and the backmarkers 4 and 5 laps down.

Think back to 2009 when hardly anyone was lapped.

Stupid rules, crap tires and so on...

First they decided to have tires that last for a race (back in 2005 I think) and anyone who changed them got a penalty however the refueling was still manadatory.
Second they gave it up and asked for durable tires with difference performance and both tires have to be used.
Third they went for no refueling allowed but both tire compounds had to be used.
Then they went to no refueling but 4 or 5 pit stops for tire change per race.

I wonder where is the logic in this headless chicken development?!

Do they expect the small teams to be able to keep up with all this crap?

Forgot to mention that the Pirelli quality management is worse then very bad. The differences between two sets of the same compound are sometimes incredible. :crazy:

Brown, Jon Brow
22nd May 2011, 16:21
'Ello 'ello 'ello, D.I. Blundell proceeding in a northerly direction towards the forum and making no comment.

I was getting ready for a 'cringe moment' when I saw Blunder showing his face on screen.

dannyboy122
22nd May 2011, 16:23
personally i think this season has been terrible very fake overtaking and total lack of competition if you were to ask me right now 2010 or the new 2011 rules i would say bring back 2010 in a heartbeat these changes have made the championship picture look very dull indeed

steveaki13
22nd May 2011, 16:30
Martin Brundle and Mark Blundell together again. Brings back memories of the ITV days. Oh No!

truefan72
22nd May 2011, 16:41
personally i think this season has been terrible very fake overtaking and total lack of competition if you were to ask me right now 2010 or the new 2011 rules i would say bring back 2010 in a heartbeat these changes have made the championship picture look very dull indeed

despite the vettel dominace, 2011 has produced races worth watching

UltimateDanGTR
22nd May 2011, 17:47
Martin Brundle and Mark Blundell together again. Brings back memories of the ITV days. Oh No!

was it me or was Blundell quite off with the BBC team? Maybe it was because of the stress of the stewarding decisions etc, but he gave the impression of bitterness over not getting a job with the BBC when his mate did.

SGWilko
22nd May 2011, 19:38

I don't fink I can comment on wot we done in the (bar)stewards room.....

F1boat
22nd May 2011, 20:27
The race was awesome, as well as Vettel.

airshifter
23rd May 2011, 02:33
Overall an interesting race due to tire strategies for the most part. A good job by Button to overcome his poor start, and great pressure by Hamilton on Vettel. Webber and Fernando didn't have the best of days, but at least the starting grid wasn't the finishing positions.

I'm wondering where all the Hamilton haters are concerning Alonso driving down the pit next to Vettel. It was a crime against humanity for Lewis to do it. ;)

And once again, a lot of artificial passing due to the DRS. I mean really, every lap someone else was passing on the straight, especially at the front of the pack! :laugh:

truefan72
23rd May 2011, 07:24
And once again, a lot of artificial passing due to the DRS. I mean really, every lap someone else was passing on the straight, especially at the front of the pack! :laugh:

if there was one race so far that DRS had little to no impact it would have been this sunday's race in spain.
You couldn't have been watching the same race because I don't think there was a single meaningful pass made with the DRS in this race

Sonic
23rd May 2011, 08:08
if there was one race so far that DRS had little to no impact it would have been this sunday's race in spain.
You couldn't have been watching the same race because I don't think there was a single meaningful pass made with the DRS in this race

I think shifter *might* have been being sarcastic. Or are you replying sarcastically to his post? Now I'm confused *massages eyes!* ;)

Mark
23rd May 2011, 10:23

There were some, but further down the field. Ahead of the race you would think that Spain, with it's long straight would be a DRS fest, but funny how things turn out.

jens
23rd May 2011, 12:08
For Barcelona this was quite a good race. :) This year races are interesting even if Vettel or someone is dominating - some kind of action is always going on and several positions are unclear until the very end of the race due to tyre compounds/wear/etc.

Nice comeback by Button after a troubled start. Yet mysteriously Webber went nowhere after brilliant qualifying. This is F1 2011. Incredible fluctuations. RBR a second faster in quali, but McLaren capable of fighting for a win in race trim. Also we do not often see a driver, who has led for 20 laps, get lapped in the end...

Kobayashi is awesome. For the second race in a row he has collected points from the very back of the field. This performance was reminiscent of Schumacher from Brazil '06 - after a puncture well behind everyone else. I am surprised Kamui made it into the points from there without any SC's! It is also fun to follow the deeds of di Resta - despite the lack of speed of Force India he has been in sort of contention for the last point(s) in almost all races this season.

Trulli has been strange this season - uncharacterisically quite crap in qualis for some reason, but in race trim has seemed quite decent actually. I would like to see Lotus improving faster than they actually do. Jarno was 12th-13th in mid-race yesterday, so perhaps marks at least a bit of progress.

steveaki13
23rd May 2011, 17:57
There were some, but further down the field. Ahead of the race you would think that Spain, with it's long straight would be a DRS fest, but funny how things turn out.

Its strange with Barcelona's long straight you would think Overtaking would be plentyful anyway, but it never has been.

Remember when the Last Turn was almost flat at 140-150+, people said that it was spreading the cars to much, so they removed the speed of the last corner by putting the chicane in, but amazingly still the cars struggle to follow through there and despite the long straight in a non DRS race as seen in previous years you get no more overtaking with the chicane than without it.

Though I do think the DRS enabled the drivers to get closer and attempt a pass this year, so that was a plus.

Personally I think they should go back to the old days in Barcelona and remove the chicane.

That last corner was always a massive challenge, now its little more than an exceleration zone and it would be interesting to see DRS in a race out of that almost flat corner.

truefan72
23rd May 2011, 18:28
I think shifter *might* have been being sarcastic. Or are you replying sarcastically to his post? Now I'm confused *massages eyes!* ;)

oh...ok I did not quite catch that, sorry shifter

truefan72
23rd May 2011, 18:29
Its strange with Barcelona's long straight you would think Overtaking would be plentyful anyway, but it never has been.

Remember when the Last Turn was almost flat at 140-150+, people said that it was spreading the cars to much, so they removed the speed of the last corner by putting the chicane in, but amazingly still the cars struggle to follow through there and despite the long straight in a non DRS race as seen in previous years you get no more overtaking with the chicane than without it.

Though I do think the DRS enabled the drivers to get closer and attempt a pass this year, so that was a plus.

Personally I think they should go back to the old days in Barcelona and remove the chicane.

That last corner was always a massive challenge, now its little more than an exceleration zone and it would be interesting to see DRS in a race out of that almost flat corner.
yep, seems like a good common sense and easy solution
unfortunately it makes too much sense for the FIA

airshifter
24th May 2011, 11:59
oh...ok I did not quite catch that, sorry shifter

The :laugh: was my attempt to show the sarcasm.

Really after Spain to me it confirms that DRS hasn't had much effect on any race so far. After watching replays of Turkey, many if not most of those passes in the DRS zone were a done deal before hitting the DRS zone. Tires and/or KERS made most of those passes. There might have been a couple that were slightly assisted by DRS but they are actually hard to find watching the race.

Aki13,

I agree about the last corner in Spain. I always loved that corner in the original form, and even amongst the top cars and drivers it was often a major test of skill and intestinal fortitude.