PDA

View Full Version : Your pump posture.

Sonic
9th May 2011, 15:11
We'll make this a poll once we have enough and find the most popular pose for pumping fuel.

The way I see it there are several styles accepted by the WPF (world pumping federation if you will);

The teapot - classic. One hand on hip/pocket, the other dispensing fuel.

The cross leg - a variant on the the teapot, and my personal choice.

The Simon Cowell - why pump gas when someone else can be paid to do that for you.

The sloucher - pumping fuel backwards, leant against the body of the car.

The stretcher - no matter how many times they fill up they ALWAYS park the wrong side for the hose.

The twitcher - watches the gauge like a hawk to attempt to get a round number. World champion twitchers can achieve a round cost and volume at the same time!

That's my list ATM, feel free to add yours, then we'll vote.

(yes, I am bored)

Brown, Jon Brow
9th May 2011, 15:44
I'm the twitcher. I always aim for a target number of £s. But it is getting really challenging these days. With prices as they are the pence is just a blur.

billiaml
9th May 2011, 17:05
I wash my windscreen, headlights, and generally do as much as I can to use as much of their stuff that they have laying around. I figure that, as much as I'm paying to fill up my truck, I'm paying for it, so I'll use it.

Sonic
9th May 2011, 17:31
I wash my windscreen, headlights, and generally do as much as I can to use as much of their stuff that they have laying around. I figure that, as much as I'm paying to fill up my truck, I'm paying for it, so I'll use it.

Interesting style. You'll need a name to enter it in the official WPF sporting regulations. I'll leave that honour to you ;)

billiaml
9th May 2011, 18:44
D I Y Full Service?

steveaki13
9th May 2011, 20:07
We'll make this a poll once we have enough and find the most popular pose for pumping fuel.

The way I see it there are several styles accepted by the WPF (world pumping federation if you will);

The teapot - classic. One hand on hip/pocket, the other dispensing fuel.

The cross leg - a variant on the the teapot, and my personal choice.

The Simon Cowell - why pump gas when someone else can be paid to do that for you.

The sloucher - pumping fuel backwards, leant against the body of the car.

The stretcher - no matter how many times they fill up they ALWAYS park the wrong side for the hose.

The twitcher - watches the gauge like a hawk to attempt to get a round number. World champion twitchers can achieve a round cost and volume at the same time!

That's my list ATM, feel free to add yours, then we'll vote.

(yes, I am bored)

I switch from the Cross leg to the Sloucher.

I get bored mid point and switch.

Sonic
9th May 2011, 21:38
I switch from the Cross leg to the Sloucher.

I get bored mid point and switch.

This is the WPF man! Not the International Pumping Challenge. WPF sporting regulation 15.2 clearly states;

No competitor may alter his posture once committed to a move.

(I may have gone too far now :p )

MrJan
9th May 2011, 21:49
I'm a bit of a combo-pumper. Sloucher is my position of choice (especially as the car is quite low so provides a good seat) but I generally cross my legs too. The only time that I don't go for the Sloucher is when I'm throwing the Stretcher (not because I'm stupid, because the filler is on the passenger side, but because no other pumps are free and we all know that the nozzle can reach round a car). The Stretcher requires you to pay a bit more attention which is why I don't like to go for the slouch.

steveaki13
9th May 2011, 23:28
This is the WPF man! Not the International Pumping Challenge. WPF sporting regulation 15.2 clearly states;

No competitor may alter his posture once committed to a move.

(I may have gone too far now :p )

You realise the next time I stop for Diesel. I am going to start refueling and as I go to change position I will think of your last post and stop myself. :rolleyes:

No more will I be able to shuffle at the pump. :p :

Sonic
9th May 2011, 23:40
^^^ glad you've seen the light :D

airshifter
10th May 2011, 00:13
I just try to be extra observant when I'm pumping gas. It's really important. You never know what could happen or what you could miss if you aren't on your toes.

Alexamateo
10th May 2011, 02:03
So my question is why do you have to have a posture at all? Don't you have pump handles that lock in place and then shut off automatically when full?

Alfa Fan
10th May 2011, 02:26
No of course not! That would be really dangerous. You have to constantly hold it down for fuel to flow.

Alexamateo
10th May 2011, 03:11
Didn't realize I've been living so dangerously all of these years! :p

GridGirl
10th May 2011, 07:38
Refuelling in winter is such an effort when it's so cold. Obviously this is temperature dependent but I would be wearing as much clothing as possible, preferably leather gloves and hold the nozzle with as little physical contact as possible whilst twitching to see if the amount of fuel I've put in will get me to my desired location or locations for the next day or so. All thoughts of rounding off the fuel price have been completely forgotten.

Daniel
10th May 2011, 07:57
I never quite understand why people only want to put a certain amount of fuel in the car :mark:

Surely unless you're absolutely skint then you should just fill it up? I don't like petrol stations so I put as much fuel in as the tank can take so I don't have to go back to the petrol station for as long as possible. The 500's tank is 35 litres but you can get about 42.5 litres in if you want. Good for 500 miles if you drive nicely :D Filled up last Friday and will my 40 mile rountrip commute every day that'll be good for two working weeks at least.

As for posture I suppose cross legged?

Sonic
10th May 2011, 07:58
So my question is why do you have to have a posture at all? Don't you have pump handles that lock in place and then shut off automatically when full?

Nah matey, that's just your pumps. I've only ever come across a couple of locking pumps over here in the UK (they've all got the switch, its just disabled.)

I did see something on TV (may have been myth busters) that leaving your car to fuel means you can pick up a static charge whilst you wander off, and when you come back that charge ignites the fuel vapour. Can't recall if the myth was buster or not.

Daniel
10th May 2011, 08:00
Kind of right. Basically it was that if there was a shock and you twitched and pulled the nozzle out of the filler neck then you could potentially spray fuel all over the car and yourself whilst there's an ignition source there and WOOF!

Mark
10th May 2011, 08:39
I think HGVs have a pressure cut off system, but car drivers aren't allowed to use it. It only takes about 2 minutes at the very most to fill my tank so it's not like it takes long. Waiting in the queue to pay is the worst bit - no pay at pump usually.

Daniel
10th May 2011, 09:22
Only takes another minute to top off the tank and it saves that 2 minutes in the queue to pay, plus the queue to get to a pump :p

MrJan
10th May 2011, 09:34
I never quite understand why people only want to put a certain amount of fuel in the car :mark:

Surely unless you're absolutely skint then you should just fill it up? I don't like petrol stations so I put as much fuel in as the tank can take so I don't have to go back to the petrol station for as long as possible. The 500's tank is 35 litres but you can get about 42.5 litres in if you want. Good for 500 miles if you drive nicely :D Filled up last Friday and will my 40 mile rountrip commute every day that'll be good for two working weeks at least.

I sometimes part fill if it's expensive, e.g in the town that I work I probably pay 4p a litre more than if I fill up in Exeter. So I only put in £10 or 10 litres if I need to fill up in Sidmouth and then properly fill up back in Exeter.

And it hurts that you can get about double the distance out of a smaller tank :( Bring on the dizzle!

Daniel
10th May 2011, 09:58
True. If fuel is expensive or I'm in a real hurry then I'll part fill, other than that I always brim it.

Daniel
10th May 2011, 10:08
I do wonder what sort of range I could get out of a dismal 500 sometimes. The 406 would do 630 miles but that was 72 litres of dismal fuel as opposed to 42 for the 500. The 500 usually does 430-450 on a tank which I think is pretty respectable considering it's a petrol.

Dave B
10th May 2011, 11:26
It only takes about 2 minutes at the very most to fill my tank so it's not like it takes long. Waiting in the queue to pay is the worst bit - no pay at pump usually.
I rarely get to use pay at pump as we usually have a 5p off voucher which despite having a barcode can't be read by the Clubcard scanners on the pump :rolleyes:

markabilly
10th May 2011, 12:04
Mine is missionary.
Donkey Jote is 69.

I keep telling him that one of the days he is gonna explode

esp. if he don't stop that drinking and then smoking...........

GridGirl
10th May 2011, 12:20

If only we all did a standard commute each day. I often part fill due to the nature of visiting clients in random places and not wanting to fill up on the motorway. I previously had a client based in Llaneli which would use a full tank of fuel. If for example I needed to fill up 2 days before the visit I would only splash and dash and then fill up properly before I went as I would rather not fill up on the motorway or have to negotiate rush hour traffic to refuel in whatever random place I've ended up. Also if I've ended up visiting clients in other random places like Yeovil or Burnley or where ever I would have to fill up more than once a week regardless so it's just easier to part fill if and when you need to.

Daniel
10th May 2011, 12:34
How is it easier to have to fill up more times though? I will top up of course to avoid having to pay motorway prices, but the rest of your post makes no sense :p

Daniel
10th May 2011, 13:42
If for example I needed to fill up 2 days before the visit I would only splash and dash and then fill up properly before I went as I would rather not fill up on the motorway or have to negotiate rush hour traffic to refuel in whatever random place I've ended up.

OK I kind of understand this I guess. Unless I'm in a hurry or petrol is silly expensive I always brim the tank till it can't take a drop more.

Dave B
10th May 2011, 13:52
In those rare times when petrol prices are decreasing - usually when the supermarkets have a mini price war - it makes sense to put as little as possible in at a time. Sod's law says you'll brim the tank then the next day Asda or someone will knock 3p off a litre.

Of course, the reverse is almost always true. :(

billiaml
10th May 2011, 15:16
Funny how it seems like the price of fuel is generally inverse to the amount of fuel in my tank.

GridGirl
10th May 2011, 15:20
OK I kind of understand this I guess. Unless I'm in a hurry or petrol is silly expensive I always brim the tank till it can't take a drop more.

Don't get me wrong as I would always try to put a full tank and brim it if possible but sometimes it really is just easier to part fill depending on the nature and distance of the journey's when you only have a fuel tank that will get you around 300 miles worth of driving. Having said that I'm posting this using the free wi-fi in first class on the East Coast mainline service to London as sometimes it's just easier to get public transport. :p

Daniel
10th May 2011, 15:27
Don't get me wrong as I would always try to put a full tank and brim it if possible but sometimes it really is just easier to part fill depending on the nature and distance of the journey's when you only have a fuel tank that will get you around 300 miles worth of driving. Having said that I'm posting this using the free wi-fi in first class on the East Coast mainline service to London as sometimes it's just easier to get public transport. :p

I wish it were so easy for me to get public transport :D That said I do like my time on my own with my personal space :)

schmenke
10th May 2011, 16:47

Ditto.

I never bother looking at the pump meter as I'll always fill up anyways, then gasp audibly when I do see the final number :s hock:

Only cross-legged when I have to pee... :p :

schmenke
10th May 2011, 16:51

Nope. Those have been banned around here years ago.

I believe it's because as long as you're in contact with the pump you're protected from static charges as the pump itself is grounded.

steveaki13
10th May 2011, 18:06

Couldn't agree more. I too hate Petrol Stations and likewise cram every bit of fuel in I can get.

AJP
12th May 2011, 02:39
There is no reason why you can't to do the stretcher and the sloucher at the same time. I frequently use these techniques as my local station is often very busy leaving me with little options. Coordination is the key to success here. I often use what I like to call the t-shirt cover up to avoid excessive fume inhalation. This can be risky if you forget to lower said t-shirt when entering the store to pay.

Sonic
12th May 2011, 07:59
^^^

You've just invented a new style - the stick up ;)