PDA

View Full Version : The Overtaking Thread

AJP
18th March 2007, 09:39
hopefully we can keep this thread going through out the year and keep adding to list of great overtaking moves of 2007

1st on the list for me was Lewis Hamilton at turn 1 on the first lap...

great bit of driving to get a few places...

seppefan
18th March 2007, 11:51
Rosberg on Ralph.

Kinda sad thread I feel and indicative of the lack of F1 action in a number of races. Take it or leave it. I take it as cold turkey was too much! Whens the next MotoGP race for overtaking action.

Erki
18th March 2007, 12:20
Jaime Melo on Jörg Bergmeister in T17

Ooooooooooops, wrong thread, wrong forum, wrong series. Sorry. :)

;)

Ian McC
18th March 2007, 12:51
Well there wasn't too much to comment on, Lewis on the first corner was worth a mention.

AndySpeed
18th March 2007, 13:06
Similarly I'd like to nominate David Coulthard for the worst, in what appeared to me to be a Takuma Sato-esque overly optimistic move on wurz.

Not much overtaking to talk about in this Grand Prix

baker
18th March 2007, 13:49
Similarly I'd like to nominate David Coulthard for the worst, in what appeared to me to be a Takuma Sato-esque overly optimistic move on wurz.

Agreed, a terrible move. But at least DC held his hands up and admitted it was his fault. When you look at the replays DC's car was inches from Wurz's head. The possible consequnces don't bear thinking about.

Best move: Rosberg on the Toyota (Ralf?).

jens
18th March 2007, 13:55
With my bias I nominate Trulli's manouver on Sato (was it him?) on Lap 1. :p :

seppefan
18th March 2007, 15:23

Iamgine the hullabaloo if it had been Sato. Maybe if I read the Vienna press tomorrow I would see hullabaloo !

Roamy
18th March 2007, 16:08
I like rosberg but for entertainment value DC wins hands down

Robinho
18th March 2007, 19:54
the rosberg and DC overtakes were very similar, apart from the fact one was seen by the other driver and the other wasn't.

if Wurz had moved over (not that he should have done) DC probably would have sailed serenley into the gravel on his own, whereas Nico managed to wrestle the car round the corner.

reminded me of his early season performances last year, hope he keeps it up this year

jso1985
18th March 2007, 20:20
Hamilton on Alonso and Rosberg on Schumacher(no need of an "R" now...) were the best

While Coulthard showed why he should retire

A Scotsman
18th March 2007, 20:27
Hamilton on Alonso wasn't an overtaking manouevre it was one of those "where do I go now? Wow that was lucky" incidents..

AJP
11th April 2007, 12:39
OK...

Round 2....and Lewis takes the gong again for his first corner antics...

can he make it 3 from 3....?

Robinho
11th April 2007, 12:52
Yes Lewis's move around both Ferrari's was awesome, but i think the best moves of the race came from Wurz who took several cars through the race and in articular round the outside of a Red Bull (DC?) at the same corner Massa couldn't pass at.

for sheer balls and race changing effects the vote would go to Lewis again though

raphael123
11th April 2007, 13:10
Overtaking at the start of the race isn't really like a proper overtaking move.

Has Lewis overtaken anyone on track apart from at the start of the race? Or when blue flags are being shown?

Wurz drove a solid race, ignored by most.

ShiftingGears
11th April 2007, 13:16
Past the first corner, Wurz around the outside of DC. I think it was turn 4.

pits4me
11th April 2007, 16:21
Lewis battling the Ferrari's and retaking 2nd from Massa. Classic.

N. Jones
11th April 2007, 16:45
Wurz overtaking Coultard was good. There was another too....
(i've seen some clips of the race from other countries and they should some overtaking that SpeedTV in US didn't show....)

Dzeidzei
11th April 2007, 18:30
the rosberg and DC overtakes were very similar, apart from the fact one was seen by the other driver and the other wasn't.

if Wurz had moved over (not that he should have done) DC probably would have sailed serenley into the gravel on his own, whereas Nico managed to wrestle the car round the corner.

Really? Is that why DC apologized for ruining Wurz´s race?

I think the difference between those 2 overtaking moves was that one was nicely timed and perfectly lined and the other one plain stupid. Maybe because of frustration or whatever, but still stupid.

But my candidate has to be Lewis. Not for the 1st corner stuff at Malaysia (Massa caused most of that all), but the way he retook 2nd place after Massa went off. Great defensive driving. And he was 3rd for a while so it must qualify for an overtaking?

CharlieJ
11th April 2007, 18:53
Overtaking at the start of the race isn't really like a proper overtaking move.

Has Lewis overtaken anyone on track apart from at the start of the race? Or when blue flags are being shown?
To be honest, being so quick into those first corners he hasn't had much chance..... :burnout:

Valve Bounce
12th April 2007, 02:59

I thought Massa's overtaking move was impressive; too bad he ran off afterwards. :D

AJP
16th April 2007, 13:52
OK...

Round 3

I think Coulthard has redeemed himself after his last efforts...

He did some pretty outstanding driving in bahrain...hats off to him...

wedge
16th April 2007, 14:02
Heidfeld vs. Alonso was easily the best overtaking manouvre in Bahrain

jens
16th April 2007, 15:24
Trulli on both Fisichella and Kovalainen. ;)

And to talk about unsuccessful overtaking manouvers, then I don't know, what on earth Rosberg tried, when he attempted to overtake Kovalainen in the last corner...

schmenke
16th April 2007, 16:11
...And to talk about unsuccessful overtaking manouvers, then I don't know, what on earth Rosberg tried, when he attempted to overtake Kovalainen in the last corner...

Yeah, that looked like a bonehead move by Nico. It looked like he went wide then turned into Heikki who had nowhere to go :mark: . I wonder if Nico even saw him?

Daika
16th April 2007, 17:09
Heidfeld on Alonso, that was significant. Can't remember when Alonso was beaten last time.

Nikey
16th April 2007, 20:21
Trulli on both Fisichella and Kovalainen. ;)

And to talk about unsuccessful overtaking manouvers, then I don't know, what on earth Rosberg tried, when he attempted to overtake Kovalainen in the last corner...

What do you mean unsuccessful? He did pass Heikki didn't he? Besides, he just made the race little more interesting by sliding off the track every 10 laps. Well, at least I liked.

Valve Bounce
18th April 2007, 06:40
OK...

Round 3

I think Coulthard has redeemed himself after his last efforts...

He did some pretty outstanding driving in bahrain...hats off to him...

Yeah!! but throughout th erce, both Martin and james kept insisting poor DC was on fire, ! How did they know that far ahead? :confused:

winer
19th April 2007, 03:16
Yeah!! but throughout th erce, both Martin and james kept insisting poor DC was on fire, ! How did they know that far ahead? :confused:

Good one!

aryan
21st April 2007, 05:01
DC did some great moves. So did Jarno.

But the single best overtaking move was Nick's. Overtaking on the outside of a track which is infamous for being too dirty off racing-line. He was supreme.