PDA

View Full Version : AT&T sues NASCAR !

RaceFanStan
17th March 2007, 16:18
AT&T has bought-out Cingular & wants to be the primary sponsor on the #31 Nextel Cup car.
Cingular was grand-fathered in but Nextel says no to to the change to AT&T.
This is going to be a bitter fight. :eek:

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/03/17/att.sues.nascar/index.html

Sparky1329
17th March 2007, 16:28
Good. It should be. I hope AT&T mops up the courtroom floor with them.

harvick#1
17th March 2007, 16:57
Then hopefully Motorola stops letting them use their phones and then Sprint/Nextel go out of business

Sparky1329
17th March 2007, 18:41
Then hopefully Motorola stops letting them use their phones and then Sprint/Nextel go out of business

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Motorola to bail on them. They have a bottom line too.

jslone
17th March 2007, 21:18
Why should 1 company have a monopoly here?If its that hard to find a sponsor,then the teams should keep them,AT&T is not sponsoring the series,so I dont have an issue.

dont_be_jack
17th March 2007, 23:19
I can easily see someone ruling in favor of AT&T because, technically, they are grandfathered in as SBC already owned a majority of Cingular, changed their name when they purchased AT&T and then when AT&T finally gained control of all of Cingular it wanted to unify the brand. There should be no problem there, but for some reason there is. You can't insist on keeping out sponsors no matter how much you paid. Competition is necessary.

Jonesi
17th March 2007, 23:32
I can easily see this spinning completely out of control now that Nascar is a high profile multi-BILLION dollar sports operation. Even to the point of Congressional hearings or anti-trust investigation.

Sparky1329
18th March 2007, 03:06
I can easily see this spinning completely out of control now that Nascar is a high profile multi-BILLION dollar sports operation. Even to the point of Congressional hearings or anti-trust investigation.

That would serve NASCAR right. NASCAR's nonsense with the #7 team and Motorola handed AT&T a lot of additional material for their lawsuit. Nice move by NASCAR.

trumperZ06
18th March 2007, 22:40

:dozey: That is quite likely to happen... with the big money currently being spent by sponsors. Too many occurances of... "conflict of interest" and shady aplication of the "Rules", going on today in NA$CAR.

;) Just following this board... it's amazing with the increase in the number of people now voicing displeasure with Family France and the way NA$CAR's run.

:s mokin: Trumper

IMSAFAN1
19th March 2007, 02:49
sorry folks but this issue is not new.....RJR had the same deal when Winston was the series sponsor.

harvick#1
19th March 2007, 03:03
but since the world thinks only cigarettes give people cancer and kill people, they are banned from motorsports :mad:

I liked the sport alot better when it was the Winston Cup instead of Nextel Cup. 2004 was the year Nascar died

luvracin
19th March 2007, 16:51
AT&T has bought-out Cingular & wants to be the primary sponsor on the #31 Nextel Cup car.
Cingular was grand-fathered in but Nextel says no to to the change to AT&T.
This is going to be a bitter fight. :eek:

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/headlines/cup/03/17/att.sues.nascar/index.html

I wonder if the Shell board will be paying attention.....