PDA

View Full Version : Sergio Perez

jonas_mcrae
25th March 2011, 18:23
Hi Guys

Usually I just follow WRC and other rally series, but this year, with fellow mexican Sergio Perez competing in F1 I might be a little bit more regular on this side of the forum, so I wanted to know your opinion on "Checo" (his nickname over in mexico)

The mexican press has been making a big fuss about his entry with Sauber since he signed the contract, and today with the 8th fastest time in practice (correct me if Im wrong, mexican media is my source at the moment) spirits are very high and a lot of people is expecting a good run from him. Also he has a lot of support from Carlos Slim (world's richest man) and his Telecom companies Telcel, Telmex and Claro so hopefully if this season goes ok he will be able to keep going.

At the moment Im quite conservative with my expectations, maybe a few points this year and some fast times but not more, of course I would love to see him on the podium but I dont know how good the sauber is, or CAN be...

So in your expert opinion what are the chances for this rookie and Sauber?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Im not very familiar with how well he did at GP2 so any info you could give me on that I would appreciate it.

N4D13
25th March 2011, 19:43
Hi Guys

Usually I just follow WRC and other rally series, but this year, with fellow mexican Sergio Perez competing in F1 I might be a little bit more regular on this side of the forum, so I wanted to know your opinion on "Checo" (his nickname over in mexico)

The mexican press has been making a big fuss about his entry with Sauber since he signed the contract, and today with the 8th fastest time in practice (correct me if Im wrong, mexican media is my source at the moment) spirits are very high and a lot of people is expecting a good run from him. Also he has a lot of support from Carlos Slim (world's richest man) and his Telecom companies Telcel, Telmex and Claro so hopefully if this season goes ok he will be able to keep going.

At the moment Im quite conservative with my expectations, maybe a few points this year and some fast times but not more, of course I would love to see him on the podium but I dont know how good the sauber is, or CAN be...

So in your expert opinion what are the chances for this rookie and Sauber?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Im not very familiar with how well he did at GP2 so any info you could give me on that I would appreciate it.
Well, things don't look specially rosy for him. The Sauber isn't precisely the class of the field, so seeing him on the podium is out of the question unless something really strange happened. And he has a very fast teammate -Kobayashi-, so I wouldn't expect him to shine a lot.

However, let's hope that the kid has the speed and that he can put it together often. He might make a great Grand Prix driver - time will tell.

Sleeper
25th March 2011, 19:49
He challenged for last years GP2 title, though even he admits he made a few to many mistakes.

He seems to be very highly regarded and the perception from pre season testing is that he's gone very well and that the Sauber is very good on long runs. I expect he'll get a good number of points and, though he wont be as spectacular as Kobayashi, I think he could end up outpacing him.

Sonic
25th March 2011, 21:27
Peter Sauber ain't no mug when it comes to decent rookie, so I expect a solid rookie season with the regular new driver errors and occasional strong drives.

Kobay is regarded as very fast but he hasn't had much to prove himself against in terms of team mates so far.

gloomyDAY
25th March 2011, 23:56
I'm Mexican as well, so I get that tingly feeling down my spine when I see that flag on the F1 grid.

My expectations of Checo are not too high. He is a rookie, but a talented driver. Checo did well during his GP2 career and I feel that his jump to F1 should be ordinary. The only fair comparison a driver can have is to his teammate, and I think that Kobayashi will have the better measure of him through most of the season. I think Sergio will get to a turning point late into the season when he eventually finds his groove, as he did in GP2 (2010), and will be able to achieve more points than his teammate.

I'm excited about it, and I hope it's a start to a great career.

Koz
26th March 2011, 00:38
Peter Sauber ain't no mug when it comes to decent rookie, so I expect a solid rookie season with the regular new driver errors and occasional strong drives.
I have a funny feeling he might start out qualifying better than Kobayashi by mid season.

Kobay is regarded as very fast but he hasn't had much to prove himself against in terms of team mates so far.

I don't think many people think he is all that fast, it's more that he actually has a pair of JPM cojones and seems to be able push that little bit extra to overtake unlike so many others.

Kevincal
26th March 2011, 00:53
Sergio has a great personality from the videos ive seen of him. His mannerisms remind me of Fernando. Kobayashi is a great racer so if Sergio can be anywhere close to Kob at the end of the season he did great.

gloomyDAY
26th March 2011, 07:38
Step 1 - Beat your teammate in qualifying.

Sadly, no. Off by .7!

Step 2 - Beat your teammate in the race.

TBD.

jens
26th March 2011, 08:01
I think Pérez is a solid driver and despite bringing sponsors with him, is pretty much on merit on F1. I think he'll likely end the year as the best rookie. Sauber has a good pair of drivers, the big question-mark is their ability to give feedback. But looks like he has a decent car to start his career with and he is also a member of Ferrari Driver Academy. So if he really impresses and beats Kobayashi, could have a shot at Massa's seat. :p :

woody2goody
26th March 2011, 12:28
Perez had a very good Q1 though, where he matched Kobayashi, who drives the car with some style.

I think he'll be good - he was in GP2. He partnered, and edged out Petrov did he not?

jens
27th March 2011, 11:06
Wow, what an impressive debut race! And how on earth did he manage to make only a single pitstop?!?!

I have to say that Sauber reminds me more and more the team they had 10 years ago. A line-up of young talented drivers and a good car. It seems even faster than Mercedes, at least 5th best package on the grid. And this year also reliable! Hopefully drivers can keep capitalizing on it, which could attract attention from big teams for future silly seasons.

He partnered, and edged out Petrov did he not?

Never partnered Petrov. In 2009 they were together in GP2, Petrov in Barwa Addax, Pérez in Arden.

gloomyDAY
27th March 2011, 11:13
Well, Perez didn't beat Kobayashi in qualifying, but that didn't matter in this case.

More to come? Yes! Count on it.

Garry Walker
27th March 2011, 13:16
Sergio has a great personality from the videos ive seen of him. His mannerisms remind me of Fernando.
.You call being like Alonso having a great personality? You must be having a laugh.

ioan
27th March 2011, 16:22
You call being like Alonso having a great personality? You must be having a laugh.

:right! up:

Also when it comes to manners, better not bring up the cry baby!

jonas_mcrae
28th March 2011, 14:30
Well without the DQ, it was a great race for Sergio, amazing he could do just one stop and still keep on with the pace, even posted the fastest lap at some point in the race, well before Massa... But anyways he proved he can be fast and cold headed, hope it all goes well in future races.

PS. Just because he speaks spanish, doesnt mean his personality is similar to Alonso's, he is waaaay more likeable and less arrogant.

steveaki13
28th March 2011, 18:09
From what I saw of him on BBC Red Button Forum, he seems like a really nice down to earth guy.

Nothing like the feeling I get when hearing Alonso, I always think he is trying to fool us about something.

jonas_mcrae
28th March 2011, 18:44
anyone know where I can get some high res of Perez's Sauber? thanks

Bagwan
28th March 2011, 19:07
A fantastic debut by Perez IMO. Certainly one he'll remember with alot of smiles even if he was disqualified. :)

Yeah , and too bad Felipe went pitting just as Sergio ran up behind .
That would really have put him in the spotlight , even if it was mostly down to tires at that stage .

A split strategy put Saubers back to back .
It looks good for the white cars .