PDA

View Full Version : It's UK Clock Moving Time Again

martinbalmer
25th March 2011, 17:48
There is probably another thread somewhere about this and I can't see it for looking but if not... well I'm just doing my bit to ensure no one gets up at the wrong time and misses the F1 race start or something...

I believe it is that time of year again when we all spend lots of time changing the time on our clocks (except those that set themselves and save us some time).

Clocks go forward at 1am on Sunday morning.

(Now, someone is going to tell me it is next weekend :crazy :)

Mark
25th March 2011, 19:20
Time for the six monthly resetting of the clocks, some have gotten out of sync by nearly 5 minutes, which annoys me :p

I have quite a lot of plug timers for lights and fish tanks etc.

I just hope Sky+ works properly and records the GP as I'm not crazy in getting up in the middle of the night like Brockman :D

Daniel
25th March 2011, 20:32
Grrrr I hate daylight savings!

Daniel
25th March 2011, 20:33
Time for the six monthly resetting of the clocks, some have gotten out of sync by nearly 5 minutes, which annoys me :p

I have quite a lot of plug timers for lights and fish tanks etc.

I just hope Sky+ works properly and records the GP as I'm not crazy in getting up in the middle of the night like Brockman :D

Sky+ does work with daylight savings. If you're worried you could always record the program in front and the one after.

GridGirl
25th March 2011, 21:35
I wish my Sky+ would record when it's not at home. What time do we have to get up if we're not Dave Brokman? :p

At least it will mean I have the right time on my cooker clock for a few days. I always seem to press the button four times instead of three and try and set the clock with the time I want to cook food for. A week after the clocks change and the time in my kitchen is anyones guess.

Mark
28th March 2011, 16:23
Found a bug in Sky+. Programmes I recorded before the clock change are listed as being recorded an hour later than they were.

martinbalmer
28th March 2011, 20:37
Still have one or two clocks to change.. Use to have a fax machine that stayed on the same time all year around. It is actually quite easy to get use to adjusting the time in your head...

Daniel
28th March 2011, 20:42
Still have one or two clocks to change.. Use to have a fax machine that stayed on the same time all year around. It is actually quite easy to get use to adjusting the time in your head...

Only had a few clocks to change in our house. The phones sort themselves out, computers obviously sort themselves out, phones too, so the only clocks needing doing were the cars and the clock in the kitchen which I still haven't changed yet.

Brown, Jon Brow
29th March 2011, 17:40
My car clock is correct again after 6 months of being an hour fast.

billiaml
29th March 2011, 18:57
Grrrr I hate daylight savings!

I'm not a fan of it, either. Trying to get the kids to go to bed before it gets dark -- and then out of bed to go to school before the sun comes up? And, since Congress in their "infinite wisdom" decided to extend it by 2 weeks, I have that many more days to deal with it

Daniel
29th March 2011, 20:24
I'm not a fan of it, either. Trying to get the kids to go to bed before it gets dark -- and then out of bed to go to school before the sun comes up? And, since Congress in their "infinite wisdom" decided to extend it by 2 weeks, I have that many more days to deal with it

Here they want to permanently put the clocks forward an hour for some inexplicable reason to make the time the same time as Europe. Seriously are we living in such a backwards time where this hour actually matters in terms of trade with Europe? :confused: perhaps in the days before the internet yes, but not now.

BDunnell
29th March 2011, 21:05
Here they want to permanently put the clocks forward an hour for some inexplicable reason to make the time the same time as Europe. Seriously are we living in such a backwards time where this hour actually matters in terms of trade with Europe? :confused:

I think the only reason put forward nowadays is that the longer summer evenings are nice, which I fully agree with.

Daniel
29th March 2011, 21:06
I think the only reason put forward nowadays is that the longer summer evenings are nice, which I fully agree with.

Whilst personally I don't like it I can understand why others do.

Mark
30th March 2011, 08:25
Here they want to permanently put the clocks forward an hour for some inexplicable reason to make the time the same time as Europe. Seriously are we living in such a backwards time where this hour actually matters in terms of trade with Europe? :confused: perhaps in the days before the internet yes, but not now.

Actually the reasons for going to CET are manyfold, and you may agree or disagree with any number of them. However 'trade with Europe' or even just having the same time as much of Europe is well down the list, and quite often not mentioned.

Mark
30th March 2011, 14:53
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/29/chilean_clocks/

Apparently Chile announced that they weren't going to change their clocks and they would stay on DST for a while longer (going into winter there now)

Of course the government didn't take into account the numerous systems including operating systems which had the changeover date hard coded into them and left it far too late to put out fixes!

If the UK, or anywhere else starts making changes they should really give at least a years notice so systems can be updated to cope.

Daniel
30th March 2011, 17:48
Actually the reasons for going to CET are manyfold, and you may agree or disagree with any number of them. However 'trade with Europe' or even just having the same time as much of Europe is well down the list, and quite often not mentioned.

Tbh the only reason ever shown on the bbc for this is trade with europe.

Bob Riebe
30th March 2011, 19:51
The Russian eliminated it and I wish the U.S. would also.

In Minn. they jack it around like a Chinese Fire-drill. One reason was for safety, but then they do not mind if kids have to stand outside waiting for the buss in darkness so that bs reason is void.

Daniel
30th March 2011, 20:05
The Russian eliminated it and I wish the U.S. would also.

In Minn. they jack it around like a Chinese Fire-drill. One reason was for safety, but then they do not mind if kids have to stand outside waiting for the buss in darkness so that bs reason is void.

I can kind of understand why it was done in the past, back in ye olde days street lighting wasn't so good and there wasn't much to do at home after dark other than sit on the couch and look at the wall. These days things are different and although daylight savings does give people the opportunity to spend more time outside, I doubt on average that most people make use of it plus at the height of summer the sun sets at just before 9pm here if we remove daylight savings which is plenty of time for people to enjoy themselves. For me the biggest issues are the fact that come winter when the clocks go forward, you're plunged into darkness on your drive home all of a sudden without the opportunity to get used to the darkness and at the peak of summer it's too light too late and this for obvious reasons can affect people's sleeping patterns.

MrJan
31st March 2011, 08:42
Whilst personally I don't like it I can understand why others do.

I genuinely can't understand why you wouldn't like the light evenings? Do you work a normal 9-5 day? Personally I love that I can drive home from work with the sunroof out, windows down and enjoy the sun and warmth. Then I get home and I can sit outside with a beer.

If your argument is against the change itself (rather than being GMT+1) then I'd be happy to stay +1 all year round, although this would no doubt cause a lot of problems with people getting up in the dark and the cold during winter.

Mark
31st March 2011, 08:58
I too prefer a light evening. Although getting up in the dark in the morning is indeed rubbish, mornings are always rubbish anyway so it makes little difference. But when it's dark before you even leave work it feels the day is over and all you have to look forward to is another day at work!

I don't find the light evenings much of an issue, it generally gets dark around 9.30pm anyway, and I don't go to bed before that.

However something I will have to be mindful of soon is how children react to it, i.e. will my little jimmy be happy going to bed when it's still light and/or getting up when it's still dark?

Daniel
31st March 2011, 09:28
I genuinely can't understand why you wouldn't like the light evenings? Do you work a normal 9-5 day? Personally I love that I can drive home from work with the sunroof out, windows down and enjoy the sun and warmth. Then I get home and I can sit outside with a beer.

If your argument is against the change itself (rather than being GMT+1) then I'd be happy to stay +1 all year round, although this would no doubt cause a lot of problems with people getting up in the dark and the cold during winter.

I just don't like the fact that it's still twilight way into the evening. The change is annoying I guess but no big problem as I only have to change a couple of clocks.

MrJan
31st March 2011, 10:20
My car clock is correct again after 6 months of being an hour fast.

My car clock is always a random number of minutes fast, so that I think that I'm late and won't dawdle. Trouble is that it usually only takes a few weeks for me to work out how fast it is (currently 17 minutes), so I have to look away and put the minutes up a bit without paying attention to how many I change it by.

Daniel
31st March 2011, 10:34
My car clock is always a random number of minutes fast, so that I think that I'm late and won't dawdle. Trouble is that it usually only takes a few weeks for me to work out how fast it is (currently 17 minutes), so I have to look away and put the minutes up a bit without paying attention to how many I change it by.

The 500 seems to manage to be 6 minutes slow every 6 months :mark:

Mark
31st March 2011, 10:52

LOL. I've often wondered about people who do that, such as my gran always set her watch 5 minutes fast "So I won't miss the bus". I guess it depends on your personality type but if I know that I need to be somewhere at (say) 11.30 and it takes 15 minutes to get there, I guess the sensible answer is to leave at 11.15? But what if it doesn't take 15 minutes to get there? Best leave another 5 minutes on top of that? So 11.10? Well best leave at at 11.00 just to be safe...

MrJan
31st March 2011, 11:00
LOL. I've often wondered about people who do that, such as my gran always set her watch 5 minutes fast "So I won't miss the bus". I guess it depends on your personality type but if I know that I need to be somewhere at (say) 11.30 and it takes 15 minutes to get there, I guess the sensible answer is to leave at 11.15? But what if it doesn't take 15 minutes to get there? Best leave another 5 minutes on top of that? So 11.10? Well best leave at at 11.00 just to be safe...

If I'm doing something like going to the football or getting between stages on a rally (i.e something with a very fixed start time) then I'll make an extra effort to allow enough time. But if it's something like getting to work or meeting mates then I'm a bit too relaxed, that's where the added time can be important.

Dave B
31st March 2011, 13:06
I wish my Sky+ would record when it's not at home. What time do we have to get up if we're not Dave Brokman? :p
Oi, cheeky! :p

Sky+ will record if you take the box on holiday, so long as it's got two feeds and is still paired with the correct card. The only (trivial) change you might notice is it defaults to your home BBC1 or ITV1 region.

Found a bug in Sky+. Programmes I recorded before the clock change are listed as being recorded an hour later than they were.
That's been there since day one and Sky show no inclination to fix it.