PDA

View Full Version : Petrov 2, Heidfeld 0

keysersoze
25th March 2011, 16:17
After two practice sessions, Vitaly has out-quicked Nick twice.

Just . . . let me enjoy this moment. :p

N4D13
25th March 2011, 19:39
If Petrov wishes to prove that he belongs in F1, he should prove he's faster than Heidfeld in qualifying and races. Who cares about practice?

Petrov has the speed, although Heidfeld is an extremely consistent driver, so Nick has my vote to top Petrov. But it wouldn't be a huge surprise if Vitaly made it the other way round.

Sonic
25th March 2011, 20:49
Petrov's a decent pilot, and I'm more that certain he will out drive and out race Nick at some points this season, however Nick's got the experience and will make fewer mistakes and have fewer off weekends than the Russian IMO.

steveaki13
25th March 2011, 23:25
Petrov's a decent pilot, and I'm more that certain he will out drive and out race Nick at some points this season, however Nick's got the experience and will make fewer mistakes and have fewer off weekends than the Russian IMO.

I think this will be the case, lets hope they can both score points and maybe push for a podium.

markabilly
26th March 2011, 04:17
the pity is the kube is not there.......let us make that 3 of 3 as petrov nearly took 4th from button in the final practice

truefan72
26th March 2011, 04:26
make that 3:0

Koz
26th March 2011, 04:31
Funny how we at first had a thread last year with people saying that he was a future champion and by the end of season we had one about how he didn't deserve a race seat, and suddenly he's better than NH - who, most would agree, is roughly as good as Kubica...

Kevincal
26th March 2011, 04:53
Petrov is quick but prone to mistakes. he almost had a high speed wreck at the end of p3 about an hour ago. he is out to prove himself though so maybe he'll step it up this year.

F1boat
26th March 2011, 06:21
Q1 - big humiliation. P3 PET P18 HEI

pettersolberg29
26th March 2011, 06:31
Cannot believe it...thought Nick may have a shot at a victory this year but it seems not. Yes he had traffic but it cost him 0.4s at most, while he was 1.7s behind Petrov. Shocking effort.

F1boat
26th March 2011, 06:48
I am happy that Vitaly has improved. Hopefully his racecraft will be better as well.

Koz
26th March 2011, 07:15
What a disaster for NH. Time to sack him and get Senna in.

Dr. Krogshöj
26th March 2011, 07:16
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

jens
26th March 2011, 08:01
Terrible weekend for Heidfeld so far, but likely it will be a one-off, he's not that bad. He could still get points in tomorrow's race. But if he underperforms consistently, then yes - marketable Senna will likely substitute.

Impressively confident performance by Petrov, but Renault's pitwall must be missing Kubica now as a benchmark - "how fast could this car really go".

Kevincal
26th March 2011, 08:36
lets not jump to conclusions quite yet, surely nick had traffic problems which is common in this format. You know everyone raves about how great this qualy format is but for me its a little bit too dicey with all the traffic, some get lucky with a clear track on 2 or 3 laps while others struggle to find 1 lap with clear traffic and its mostly down to luck. so lets see how the race goes. still a huge possibility petrov wont finish and nick could work his way into the points. but petrov did do a very good job in qualy for sure. i will be amazed if petrov has more points than nick after several races. then again i thought for sure michael was going to wax nico last year... thats why we watch f1 , the unpredictability and excitment :)

truefan72
26th March 2011, 09:06
Cannot believe it...thought Nick may have a shot at a victory this year but it seems not. Yes he had traffic but it cost him 0.4s at most, while he was 1.7s behind Petrov. Shocking effort.

All's I got to say is that Hulkenberg would not have come in p18
Seems to me the car is a beast ( shame kubica is not in it), Petrov is lighting up the timecharts and therefore the only variable that is not performing is Heidfeld.
Then again I predicted that Petrov would outclass him anyway.

truefan72
26th March 2011, 09:08
Impressively confident performance by Petrov, but Renault's pitwall must be missing Kubica now as a benchmark - "how fast could this car really go".

I'd say right where it is with petrov at p6
behind the RBR's mac's and Alonso's ferrari

I don;t think one could have expected a different outcome if Kubica was in the car
and if Petrov gets the jump on Alonso at the start...it might be Abu Dhabi all over again ;)

RS
26th March 2011, 11:05
Heidfeld also had a KERS problem on his first run. Given his pace in testing I can't imagine this is the best Nick can give.

Don't understand those saying get Senna in, it would be nice to see him get another chance someday but he was outpaced by Klien in almost all sessions they raced together last year.

Mia 01
26th March 2011, 11:42
NH is just as good as Lews, if not better.

He will score most of Renualts points this year.

woody2goody
26th March 2011, 12:25
Nick got blocked on his last flying lap and had to lift off, otherwise he would have scraped into Q2. He should have been in by quite a margin though, so while it's an excuse to some degree, he shouldn't have been 1.5 slower than Petrov in the first place.

He would have almost certainly been in Q3 IMO because the car's quick.

He'll score points tomorrow I'm sure of it.

keysersoze
26th March 2011, 12:37
No doubt Nick's problems were a one-off, and it could be a very interesting battle between the two.

C'mon Vitaly--keep your head tomorrow! You're up there with the superstars!

markabilly
26th March 2011, 12:50
4 to ZERO

actually, I do not think that this demonstrates the actual difference in driver skill, but how well the car set up and performance match the driving "mannerisms" in which the driver can use the car to best advantage.

ShiftingGears
26th March 2011, 13:08

Well said.

Somebody
26th March 2011, 13:34
No doubt Nick's problems were a one-off, and it could be a very interesting battle between the two.

Like I said in the other thread, the car was developed around Kubica, and remember what happened LAST time he drove a car developed around Kubica? (BMW spent a big chunk of development time trying to make it work for him and blew Kubica's championship chances in the process)

airshifter
26th March 2011, 16:17
Funny how we at first had a thread last year with people saying that he was a future champion and by the end of season we had one about how he didn't deserve a race seat, and suddenly he's better than NH - who, most would agree, is roughly as good as Kubica...

Great point. Petrov pulled it together today, and I hope he has a good race.

As for Nick, the race will tell. Personally though I've always thought he was a very solid driver, I can't compare him to Kubica. I think Robert is one of the better talents in the field.

Roamy
26th March 2011, 16:21
zoom zoom zoom - oh after 12 years you expect Nick to vault to the top all of a sudden???

gloomyDAY
26th March 2011, 16:32
zoom zoom zoom - oh after 12 years you expect Nick to vault to the top all of a sudden???Exactly. Nick is a solid number 2 driver, period. I think Renault should have at least tried to get a driver that was younger and hungry for wins. The Hulk would have been a driver right up their alley. Cheap, sophomore in F1, and willing to push a car's limits.

Oh well, another talented driver takes the backseat.

Roamy
27th March 2011, 04:54
Exactly. Nick is a solid number 2 driver, period. I think Renault should have at least tried to get a driver that was younger and hungry for wins. The Hulk would have been a driver right up their alley. Cheap, sophomore in F1, and willing to push a car's limits.

with all this new wing sh!t, kers and the like the Hulk will be back sooner than you think. UNFORTUNATELY some guys are going to do some sheet time because of this crap.

ShiftingGears
27th March 2011, 06:05
Heidfeld outscored Kubica for two years as teammates, and he is experienced. They wanted a known quantity, considering that Petrov is their other driver. We shouldn't assume that just because Heidfeld is older and more experienced, that it makes him less hungry for a win.

Do you guys really think it would've been a good idea, on paper, to have two drivers just out of their rookie season, in both of their cars, considering they were both beaten by their experienced teammates?

As for Heidfeld's performance, well, we will see.

ArrowsFA1
27th March 2011, 06:30
Heidfeld will do a solid job for Renault and was a good choice as stand-in for Kubica. Petrov impressed at the end of 2010 but this is only the first race of the year. Consistency is key.

keysersoze
27th March 2011, 08:44
Petrov 5, Heidfeld 0

And in the last two races, it's Vitaly 2, Alonso 0 :p :

markabilly
27th March 2011, 08:49
5 to zero and counting until the Kube returns.....or someone else shows up

donKey jote
27th March 2011, 08:57
heidi is a girlie

truefan72
27th March 2011, 09:33
I think there is a real chance we might see someone else in that "2nd" car

N4D13
27th March 2011, 09:41
Hats off to Petrov - he has been magnificient this weekend. Heidfeld needs to raise his game in Malaysia - let's see what he can do.

steveaki13
27th March 2011, 10:33
I agree Heidfeld was really poor this weekend, but if there is one thing he does well, its plod along and pick up results more often than not in midfield cars.

Lets see if after a few races he is up there with Petrov.

I know the Renault is an upper midfield car, but so was BMW in 2007 and 2008 and he was on the podium a fair few times.

Robinho
27th March 2011, 10:41
i thought qually was an isolated event, and that Nick got caught in traffic on his last attempt. But today he should have been able to pass cars and get up the field, the car is clearly one of the top 3 or 4 and it should have been possible to move through the field, but it seems he jst got stcuk in the midefield. Poor showing, and with a few more of them i'd like to see them give Senna a go. however i can't see Nick being this poor again, he should be at least equal to Petrov. colour me disappointed so far

jens
27th March 2011, 11:43
Sometimes even an experienced driver can be completely out of his depth if the car doesn't suit him. Recall 2006 Australian GP qualifying: 1st Button, 17th Barrichello.

But congratulations for the first ever podium for Petrov. Obviously he has improved - just by how much? Funny that for the second race in a row it's Alonso, who finishes right behind Petrov.

In the future races Heidfeld really has to at least match if not beat Petrov though, otherwise his F1 career will be over for good and he may not be even attractive as a stand-in driver any more.

N4D13
27th March 2011, 12:21
Rather than bad driving, it seems that Heidfeld has had a horrible case of bad luck this GP. It appears that somebody hit his car during the first lap, causing severe damage to its bodywork. If that's the case, I doubt that we should criticise him for this.

Garry Walker
27th March 2011, 13:12
Exactly. Nick is a solid number 2 driver, period. I think Renault should have at least tried to get a driver that was younger and hungry for wins. The Hulk would have been a driver right up their alley. Cheap, sophomore in F1, and willing to push a car's limits.

Hulk? Hulk has done nothing to be worthy of that seat more than Heidfeld. Nick had a really bad weekend, but he will do much better at malaysia, that is a given. Petrov on the other hand already showed last year that when he gets it together, he can be really fast. Today he was excellent.

pettersolberg29
27th March 2011, 14:04
Rather than bad driving, it seems that Heidfeld has had a horrible case of bad luck this GP. It appears that somebody hit his car during the first lap, causing severe damage to its bodywork. If that's the case, I doubt that we should criticise him for this.

I agree. Rubbish qualifying was his fault - he should never have been in the position to allow traffic to stop him reaching Q3. But if you see pictures of Nick's car at the end the whole left sidepod is severely damaged and therefore his speed is actually quite impressive and bodes well for future races.

ioan
27th March 2011, 16:25
In the future races Heidfeld really has to at least match if not beat Petrov though, otherwise his F1 career will be over for good and he may not be even attractive as a stand-in driver any more.

Sure sure. Anything noteworthy though?!

Roamy
27th March 2011, 17:10
I for one was extremely impressed by how Nick took the 3rd fastest car on the grid and charged up to 14th place. MS would have surely won the race had it not been for a mechanical problem. Watch out next race as these two are on the move

truefan72
27th March 2011, 17:17
I for one was extremely impressed by how Nick took the 3rd fastest car on the grid and charged up to 14th place. MS would have surely won the race had it not been for a mechanical problem. Watch out next race as these two are on the move

MSC had a brilliant start (he was up to 8th) and was minding his own business when he was hit in the back by buemi which caused a puncture and screwed up kers which ended his race.
Once again, why let facts get in the way of your obvious dislike of a driver

ioan
27th March 2011, 17:21

I wish you would finally buy a TV set and comment only on races that you watched!

pettersolberg29
27th March 2011, 17:30
A picture of the damage to Nick's car - http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/110930477/AFP

ioan
27th March 2011, 17:44
A picture of the damage to Nick's car - http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/110930477/AFP

Horrible aero on that car! ;)

Not that the facts will change the hatters' mind. :)

PS: Forgot to add that Kubica would have won the race with this updated aero config! :p

steveaki13
27th March 2011, 18:04
Wow didn't see that amount of damage.

Its no wonder he struggled. I hope people take this into consideration when judging that Heidfeld should be replaced after one race.

Doubt it though some people just seem to dislike most drivers.

Koz
27th March 2011, 21:58

Whoa. That's pretty bad. It's amazing that he didn't finish last.

I can't really understand why this wasn't mentioned on either broadcast.

When did it happen? The last practice?

ioan
27th March 2011, 22:25
Whoa. That's pretty bad. It's amazing that he didn't finish last.

I can't really understand why this wasn't mentioned on either broadcast.

When did it happen? The last practice?

It happened in the first lap of the race (first few corners)!

Roamy
27th March 2011, 23:13
MSC had a brilliant start (he was up to 8th) and was minding his own business when he was hit in the back by buemi which caused a puncture and screwed up kers which ended his race.
Once again, why let facts get in the way of your obvious dislike of a driver

sorry didn't know you were so impressed with 8th PLACE !!!

ioan
27th March 2011, 23:54
sorry didn't know you were so impressed with 8th PLACE !!!

It's much better than playing the guitar!

Retro Formula 1
28th March 2011, 17:32
What a performance by Petrov.

Nick might have had some damage but his performance this weekend was pretty sub-standard.

While this was a single race, it seems that Petrov may have matured and I look forward to seeing his next few races.

ioan
28th March 2011, 17:54
Nick might have had some damage but his performance this weekend was pretty sub-standard.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/110930477/AFP
http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/110930916

Looks like his Renault certainly had a lot of damage.

Robinho
28th March 2011, 18:10
that certainly wouldn't have helped him. i was suprised he didn't move more in the race and i think that explains it pretty well. hopefully he'll show better in Malasia, i still think he should be beating Petrov.

keysersoze
28th March 2011, 22:35
Heidfeld had five opportunities to beat Petrov this weekend: three practice sessions, qualifying, and the race. Vitaly swept him.

Still, I fully expect Nick to respond like the professional he is.

ShiftingGears
29th March 2011, 05:32
I'm surprised he finished the race with that amount of damage to be honest. Certainly wouldn't be posting fastest laps with it.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/110930477.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892140FEB0FF7845C57D75158AF7CA61E58B 87108FB62F5723C928654F8088E45C11E30A760B0D811297

For people who don't click links.

steveaki13
29th March 2011, 17:21
I had a look at the race again having not noticed this damage and it was definatley there through out the race, amazing he didn't retire.

Fair play to him, he decided to go around as at the first race of the season in Australia we have often seen less than 10 finish, so worth a go.

I think he will perform better in Malaysia having gone well there in the past.

keysersoze
8th April 2011, 18:48
After Malaysia's Friday practice sessions, the updated score is:

Petrov: 5
Heidfeld: 2
:D

F1boat
9th April 2011, 10:18
Nick responded very well. Good result should be imminent and who knows, it if rains... he might get his elusive first victory.

N4D13
9th April 2011, 10:19
Well, it's 5-4 now. I wouldn't be surprised if Heidfeld managed to tie the score tomorrow.

Mia 01
9th April 2011, 12:03
Nick is doing allright.

jens
9th April 2011, 13:47
I don't understand, why do you count practice sessions, it's a non-issue. It is 1-1 in qualifying, 1-0 in the race (still) and that's it.

markabilly
9th April 2011, 14:07
well, nick is pushing fred.....who knows?????

I need to start repeating as I keep forgetting...nick is in a lotus, nick is in a lotus, nick is in a renault...err lotus, lotus....

Mia 01
9th April 2011, 15:35
sorry to say, Renualt will have to cope with Nick next year to.
Nick is doing OK.

ShiftingGears
10th April 2011, 06:59
I don't understand, why do you count practice sessions, it's a non-issue. It is 1-1 in qualifying, 1-0 in the race (still) and that's it.

Absolutely.

F1boat
10th April 2011, 10:56
What a comeback. Well done, quick Nick!

Robinho
10th April 2011, 10:56
i think todays race should count double for Nick, +1 for him in the race, -1 for Petrov thinking that the car could fly and not break and giving away a good 6 or 7th

shurik
10th April 2011, 10:58
Well done, Nick!

aryan
10th April 2011, 11:41
Well, that was good.

Hope to see more like that of Quick Nick. It can be a good year for him.

steveaki13
10th April 2011, 12:27
Well done Nick, it was a very solid and experienced drive and when struggling for tyres towards the end, he didn't run wide and try to come back on track at full speed.

The experience telling over Petrov.

ShiftingGears
10th April 2011, 14:51
It was 2010 Petrov all over again. I was rather hoping he was past that...

jens
10th April 2011, 15:12
Excellent comeback drive by Heidfeld. This race looked more like what either driver was expected to be this year. Heidfeld solid, consistent and getting good results, Petrov a bit behind and more error-prone.

To be honest, actually feels sort of unusual that someone, whose F1 career had already been written off and considered to be over, is suddenly back in business and on the podium. But perhaps it is a similar feeling that was about Button and Barrichello in 2009. :p :

keysersoze
10th April 2011, 19:27

Hey man, you don't have to pay attention to this thread. But since there are a number of journalists (and fans online) who like to scrutinize every practice session and rubbish / praise drivers based on their performances in those practice sessions, I thought it would be good fun to keep track. My first post clearly says, tongue-in-cheek style, after Petrov led Nick in both FPs, "just let me enjoy this moment."

airshifter
11th April 2011, 03:52
Great drive by Nick, and a very good drive by Vitaly until he decided to test the downforce jumping the car. That start Nick made was up there with some of the better moves made in recent seasons.

shurik
11th April 2011, 09:55
Interesting, Petrov and Heidfeld have set 3rd and 7th fastest time in the race and Vitaly being just 0.5sec slower than Webber despite his sloppy tactics and misfortunate Friday practice for him and Nick. Makes you wonder how fast they can go in Shanghai. Can't wait for the weekend :p

woody2goody
11th April 2011, 11:14
I'm so happy for Nick after he was probably thinking about quitting F1 before Renault gave him the call. Today proved that he is kind to the tyres in addition to being one of the finest overtakers in F1. Great stuff from Renault, although Petrov should have been a bit more careful :p

Retro Formula 1
11th April 2011, 13:23
Good comeback from Nick.

aryan
12th April 2011, 03:25
That start Nick made was up there with some of the better moves made in recent seasons.

That start was one of the best starts I've seen in a long time. It was so opportunistic, and yet so clever and clean... proper racing stuff.

I don't expect Nick to be retained once Robert is back, and after that, I don't expect any high-end team to be calling for his services either. This is it, this is Nick's last and final chance to get his win. I rate him higher than the likes of Truli and Kovalainen and Fisichella, and they have retired/will retire with the title of "Grand Prix winner" eternally attached to their name. Hopefully Nick can do the same.

Koz
12th April 2011, 04:04
I don't expect Nick to be retained once Robert is back, and after that, I don't expect any high-end team to be calling for his services either.

He could replace Mike or Rubens (not high end but still, some hope)...

steveaki13
16th April 2011, 10:14
Hard luck on Nick today after looking as though he may get onto the 2nd or 3rd row.

But if you gamble on just one run, late in a session with both your cars like Renault did today, then your asking for trouble.

I know the tyres are on edge and to save sets is a big advantage, but its a bigger advantage to set a good time early and make it into Q3.

Still I think he should be very fast tomorrow, and with his high top speed we should see a great comeback race into the points.

I reckon Heidfeld will finish 5th or there abouts. Lets see if I'm right tomorrow. (He will now probably crash at the 1st corner).

jens
23rd May 2011, 12:02
Renault is close to losing their P4 in WCC. I have to say that the car is probably better than recent results have indicated. Heidfeld has had some unluck on Saturdays, but he also keeps struggling over one lap like he did in 2008, hence losing ground. As for Petrov, while he has improved (this should be obvious since he doesn't crash everywhere like last year!), he is still too inconsistent and that even during a race weekend.

Brown, Jon Brow
23rd May 2011, 12:05
Renault is close to losing their P4 in WCC. I have to say that the car is probably better than recent results have indicated. Heidfeld has had some unluck on Saturdays, but he also keeps struggling over one lap like he did in 2008, hence losing ground. As for Petrov, while he has improved (this should be obvious since he doesn't crash everywhere like last year!), he is still too inconsistent and that even during a race weekend.

They seem to have lost a bit of pace since the opening races. Maybe they don't have the resources to keep up development like the big 3 can?

jens
23rd May 2011, 13:16
They seem to have lost a bit of pace since the opening races. Maybe they don't have the resources to keep up development like the big 3 can?

Possibly. I don't think the instability the team has experienced, helps either (changes in ownership, design team).

keysersoze
23rd May 2011, 13:46
My boy Petrov really stunk up the joint yesterday. With Ferrari also struggling on the prime tires, and Nick unable to participate in qualifying, I wonder how much the lack of pace had to do with:

1) what tires they (Vitaly, Fred, and Felipe) had available to race with, and
2) Renault and Ferrari being unable to get their cars to work at all on the primes.

truefan72
23rd May 2011, 18:41
My boy Petrov really stunk up the joint yesterday. With Ferrari also struggling on the prime tires, and Nick unable to participate in qualifying, I wonder how much the lack of pace had to do with:

1) what tires they (Vitaly, Fred, and Felipe) had available to race with, and
2) Renault and Ferrari being unable to get their cars to work at all on the primes.

Both points are probably the case
also Renault are simply not able to keep up the pace in terms of developments than mercedes, RBR, Mclaren and Ferrari
But I do think they will have a better showing in Monaco and Canada

Force India were another team that seemed completely adrift on Sunday as well