PDA

View Full Version : Any American government sock-puppets on here?

Dave B
17th March 2011, 13:25
If so, it would explain a lot :p

Turns out the USA has stooped to depths formerly reserved for the Russian and Chinese secret services, preparing to plant thousands of fake accounts on social media and forums to spread pro-government propoganda.

A Californian corporation has been awarded a contract with the US Central Command (Centcom) to develop what is described as an "online persona management service" that will allow one serviceman or woman to control up to 10 separate identities at once.

The contract stipulates each persona must have a convincing background, history and supporting details, and that up to 50 controllers must be able to operate false identities from their workstations "without fear of being discovered by sophisticated adversaries".

The project has been likened by web experts to China's attempts to control and restrict free speech on the internet.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/17/us-spy-operation-social-networks

I had been harbouring suspicions for some time.... :dozey:

Mark
17th March 2011, 13:31
Why should the US government care what's said on this or any other forum or interwebby social chat thingaybob.

markabilly
17th March 2011, 13:46
If so, it would explain a lot :p

Turns out the USA has stooped to depths formerly reserved for the Russian and Chinese secret services, preparing to plant thousands of fake accounts on social media and forums to spread pro-government propoganda.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/17/us-spy-operation-social-networks
I had been harbouring suspicions for some time.... :dozey:

Shut your mouth and stop telling secrets!!!!!
how do you think I can afford the time to blabber on here....Like some women I know, including DonKey's momma, I do not do nothing for free

Tazio
17th March 2011, 13:50
It's a good thing the U.S. doesn't pay too much attention to F!,
because I would be in deep do do. :s mokin:

chuck34
17th March 2011, 14:31
Since we're looking for places to cut government spending to balance the budget. I'd propose this program. WTF?! Really?!

BDunnell
17th March 2011, 14:38
Since we're looking for places to cut government spending to balance the budget. I'd propose this program.

Indeed!

Retro Formula 1
17th March 2011, 15:16
I don't think we have any of these false Americans members on here.

Of the few members I am thinking about, they are too bone headed and brain dead to be taken seriously. Surely the American Government would be more rational :laugh:

billiaml
17th March 2011, 16:03
I would hope that they would be more rational. Unfortunately, that's the last thing I would expect them to be. :rolleyes:

Bob Riebe
17th March 2011, 16:38
Liberals tend to be smarmy, and love to babble on about how evil the U.S. is especially to anyone who appears to agree with them.

It is a good way to find out how easy it is for any adversaries to suck what ever intelligent information liberal politicians may have out of them.

At the same time it follows Obama's plan on how to govern the U.S. perfectly.

BDunnell
17th March 2011, 17:13
Liberals tend to be smarmy, and love to babble on about how evil the U.S. is especially to anyone who appears to agree with them.

It is a good way to find out how easy it is for any adversaries to suck what ever intelligent information liberal politicians may have out of them.

At the same time it follows Obama's plan on how to govern the U.S. perfectly.

How nice to see you back on here after a couple of days' absence.

Mark in Oshawa
23rd March 2011, 06:53
Ah yes...It is just more of the same..

The US Government couldn't flood social media with propaganda, because most Americans would either smell it a mile off, or fight endlessly on what should be said.

That said, if Bush was in the White House, all the conspiracy morons would be having a field day with this story. With Obama, nary a peep...

martinbalmer
23rd March 2011, 07:50
and that up to 50 controllers must be able to operate false identities from their workstations "without fear of being discovered by sophisticated adversaries".

We have a situation sir. Sophisticated adversaries have commented on my status.