PDA

View Full Version : Bleating drivers

Retro Formula 1
11th March 2011, 15:34
I am getting fed up with drivers bleating on about how rough their lot is. Here we have Rubens moaning that drivers have to take their eyes off the track to check how much KERS they are using and that the moveable rear wing might encourage drivers to go faster on hot laps.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89856

I wish they would just get on with it.

BDunnell
11th March 2011, 20:06
Heaven forfend if they had to change gear using a lever too.

nigelred5
11th March 2011, 20:23
Drivers have always been whiners, but that's a point I've been hammering on for a while now about the current crop or drivers. They are paid to drive, not talk. Shut up and drive.

BDunnell
11th March 2011, 21:11
Drivers have always been whiners, but that's a point I've been hammering on for a while now about the current crop or drivers. They are paid to drive, not talk. Shut up and drive.

I would very much like to hear them talk, if they had something genuinely interesting to say.

gloomyDAY
11th March 2011, 23:18
I agree with Rubens. Their job is to drive as fast as possible, but not to contort their bodies to make their cars function (F-duct 2010). Drivers now have to contend with flapping wings and standardized KERS, which are two ideas I hated from their conception. This isn't CART and both of these "passing measures" should be banned immediately. Drivers don't need another distraction in the cockpit, but I bet no one will listen until someone gets hurt.

BDunnell
11th March 2011, 23:28
I agree with Rubens. Their job is to drive as fast as possible, but not to contort their bodies to make their cars function (F-duct 2010). Drivers now have to contend with flapping wings and standardized KERS, which are two ideas I hated from their conception. This isn't CART and both of these "passing measures" should be banned immediately. Drivers don't need another distraction in the cockpit, but I bet no one will listen until someone gets hurt.

Oh, yes, he does have a point about KERS, and I am against the concept of passing measures. But if F1 drivers in the past have been able to deal with changing gear manually, those of today ought to be able to operate a moveable rear wing safely.

gloomyDAY
12th March 2011, 00:30
Oh, yes, he does have a point about KERS, and I am against the concept of passing measures. But if F1 drivers in the past have been able to deal with changing gear manually, those of today ought to be able to operate a moveable rear wing safely.I don't think that's a fair comparison. Modern F1 cars are much more sophisticated today. The device that drivers use to maneuver their cars is no longer just a steering wheel, but a hub of other components and switches as well.

I bet Mark Webber was probably distracted at Valencia. How did he manage to slam into Kovy? I think he was tinkering with some gadgetry and lost his focus; then we saw a pretty horrific crash.

ioan
12th March 2011, 00:33
Last time I checked security was paramount in motorsports.

BDunnell
12th March 2011, 00:51
I don't think that's a fair comparison. Modern F1 cars are much more sophisticated today. The device that drivers use to maneuver their cars is no longer just a steering wheel, but a hub of other components and switches as well.

If there is a genuine hazard being caused by the plethora of buttons, etc, then it should be looked into by relevant experts.

BDunnell
12th March 2011, 00:54
Last time I checked security was paramount in motorsports.

Last time I looked, a certain element of hazard was always inevitable in motorsport.

On second thoughts, maybe I shouldn't have written that, for I will now inevitably be (completely wrongly) accused by those who put two and two together and make five of wanting to see drivers hurt or killed.

gloomyDAY
12th March 2011, 03:41
Last time I looked, a certain element of hazard was always inevitable in motorsport.

On second thoughts, maybe I shouldn't have written that, for I will now inevitably be (completely wrongly) accused by those who put two and two together and make five of wanting to see drivers hurt or killed.No, I have more sense than that. :laugh:

Rubens has a legitimate cause to be concerned. I just don't see it as incessant whining by an overpaid athlete. He's merely stating his perception from inside the cockpit, which is a viewpoint that 99.9% of spectators will never experience.

My stance has always been the same. Get rid of KERS, get rid of the flapping wings, get rid of traction control (already happened, yay!), get rid of all that aero crap, standardize all the knobs and switches on the steering mechanism, and for goodness sakes RAISE the level of horsepower. That will really give something for the drivers to cry about!

I think then that even if we don't see a lot of passing in F1 that watching all the drivers skate around the track would be joyful. Okay, going back to dreaming.

TheFamousEccles
12th March 2011, 08:48
Bleating drivers? Try getting through Au Rouge with one knee raised to operate the F-duct whilst fighting the G-forces (lots of hyphens here) and watching your instruments, dialing in various settings for the next braking area, etc, then you can use the "bleating" word.

I am with gloomyDAY above. Lotsa horsepower, too much horsepower actually - then get rid of the gadgets (flappy wings have no bearing to road-based vehicle development, for example), light the blue touch paper, sit back and enjoy!

BDunnell
12th March 2011, 09:53
No, I have more sense than that. :laugh:

Rubens has a legitimate cause to be concerned. I just don't see it as incessant whining by an overpaid athlete. He's merely stating his perception from inside the cockpit, which is a viewpoint that 99.9% of spectators will never experience.

My stance has always been the same. Get rid of KERS, get rid of the flapping wings, get rid of traction control (already happened, yay!), get rid of all that aero crap, standardize all the knobs and switches on the steering mechanism, and for goodness sakes RAISE the level of horsepower. That will really give something for the drivers to cry about!

I think then that even if we don't see a lot of passing in F1 that watching all the drivers skate around the track would be joyful. Okay, going back to dreaming.

I'm with you on all of that.

nigelred5
13th March 2011, 00:34
I would very much like to hear them talk, if they had something genuinely interesting to say.

Exactly, they rarely if ever have anything to say.

gloomyDAY
13th March 2011, 01:52
Bleating drivers? Try getting through Au Rouge with one knee raised to operate the F-duct whilst fighting the G-forces (lots of hyphens here) and watching your instruments, dialing in various settings for the next braking area, etc, then you can use the "bleating" word.

I am with gloomyDAY above. Lotsa horsepower, too much horsepower actually - then get rid of the gadgets (flappy wings have no bearing to road-based vehicle development, for example), light the blue touch paper, sit back and enjoy!I had to Google this phrase, but I'm still a little confused. Where is this derived from and what does it mean? Must be some kind of British expression.

TheFamousEccles
13th March 2011, 02:44
I had to Google this phrase, but I'm still a little confused. Where is this derived from and what does it mean? Must be some kind of British expression.

It's an (very) old expression for lighting a fuse, most likely on an old mortar or cannon - very likely a British expression as I first heard it on the Goon Show, many moons ago. Thats about the depth of my knowledge :)

markabilly
13th March 2011, 02:45

I am with gloomyDAY above. Lotsa horsepower, too much horsepower actually - then get rid of the gadgets (flappy wings have no bearing to road-based vehicle development, for example), light the blue touch paper, sit back and enjoy!

They should try getting through it without any areo devices. As those who bridged the gap between the wings and the non-wings sometimes admit, the skill to drive with the wings increasing downforce and traction by the faster you go is miniscule compared to the increased skill and touch to do it when there were no wings.

But that was a time when skill and balls were required to drive the cars and win, not fast reflexes and ability to take g-loads as today with 100 plus engineers reading all the data to set the car up for them, leaving the driver only to sit around and bleat for his momma to anyone who would listen.

I had to Google this phrase, but I'm still a little confused. Where is this derived from and what does it mean? Must be some kind of British expression.

Of course it is British. It is sound that sheep make, when scared or hungry for a tit.

TheFamousEccles
13th March 2011, 02:54
They should try getting through it without any areo devices. As those who bridged the gap between the wings and the non-wings sometimes admit, the skill to drive with the wings increasing downforce and traction by the faster you go is miniscule compared to the increased skill and touch to do it when there were no wings.

But that was a time when skill and balls were required to drive the cars and win, not fast reflexes and ability to take g-loads as today with 100 plus engineers reading all the data to set the car up for them, leaving the driver only to sit around and bleat for his momma to anyone who would listen.

Am with you there, except for the bleating to momma bit - regardless of opinion, I still think it would take considerable balls to take some of the corners and G's that these guys do, lap after lap at insane speeds.

AndyL
13th March 2011, 14:10
It's an (very) old expression for lighting a fuse, most likely on an old mortar or cannon - very likely a British expression as I first heard it on the Goon Show, many moons ago. Thats about the depth of my knowledge :)

I think it comes from the instructions on fireworks...

1. Light the blue touch paper
2. Stand well back.

BDunnell
13th March 2011, 15:24
I still think it would take considerable balls to take some of the corners and G's that these guys do, lap after lap at insane speeds.

Indeed. Even the backmarkers deserve respect for exactly that reason.

Bagwan
13th March 2011, 15:28
Rubens is head of the GPDA , isn't he ?
As such , isn't he charged with the job of doing the official "bleating" for all the drivers ?

He is bringing forth issues that the drivers have noted as potentially dangerous .

Quit ragging on him for that . He's doing his job .

On what he was actually saying , it must suck to have to raise a knee to drop your downforce so you can run Eau Rouge at a higher speed because it's to only way to keep up with everyone . Thats why they banned the F-duct ; because it was dangerous .

And , even a heads up display will distract drivers from the task they are trying to do , which is something that takes ultimate concentration . Knowing how much KERS power is left is important , but , is the distraction ?

They simply need to take away a whole bunch of toys from these guys .
Take away KERS .
Take away the wings .
Take away the fancy shifters , and give them a stick .
Make the brakes much smaller .

And give them Pirelli slow you down tires .

One down , and four to go .