PDA

View Full Version : Dennis receives six-month driving ban

Tazio
11th March 2011, 11:50
McLaren Group executive chairman Ron Dennis has been banned from driving on the road for six months.

Dennis this week pleaded guilty at Woking Magistrates Court to failing to stop for a red light in Bagshot last September. The three points he received for the offence subsequently pushed his total up to 12, which resulted in him being given an automatic six-month ban. [Dennis defended himself in the hearing by claming that he should be spared a driving ban because of the inconvenience it would cause to his work and family life, and that he had driven through the light to avoid collision with a friend's car which was following close behind Is it just me or is telling the Magistrate that you ran the light because you were trying to avoid a collision from a car behind you driven by a friend, is a pretty lame excuse. :confused:
BTW is this one of those photo-enforced tickets?
Those things piss me off. :mad:

AndyL
11th March 2011, 13:46
So now Ron needs a chauffeur. And McLaren just re-hired Pedro De La Rosa. Coincidence?

555-04Q2
11th March 2011, 14:38
So now Ron needs a chauffeur. And McLaren just re-hired Pedro De La Rosa. Coincidence?

:laugh: They found a use for the old bugger after all :laugh:

SGWilko
11th March 2011, 15:16
Is it just me or is telling the Magistrate that you ran the light because you were trying to avoid a collision from a car behind you driven by a friend, is a pretty lame excuse. :confused:

Mate of mine lost his license for failing to stop at a pedestrian crossing. In the court hearing, had he said he did not stop due to the closeness of the car behing, the prosecution, in summing up, suggested he would have got off........

Retro Formula 1
11th March 2011, 15:25
Is it just me or is telling the Magistrate that you ran the light because you were trying to avoid a collision from a car behind you driven by a friend, is a pretty lame excuse. :confused:

Yep, it is if it's where I think it happened by the A30 Junction.

Mark
11th March 2011, 20:25
It's the responsibility of the following car to maintain an appropriate distance.

CNR
11th March 2011, 21:00
illegal drag racing ?

gloomyDAY
11th March 2011, 23:20
Sucker! Another example of Ron's poor decision-making skills (see: China 2007).

Tazio
11th March 2011, 23:51
It's the responsibility of the following car to maintain an appropriate distance.

That is true Mark but it is usually only applied in the case of an accident, or when observed by a traffic cop.
In other words Ron would have had to let the guy hit him if it was a photo enforced citation.
That is where the part about the guy that forced him to run the light being a friend starts to sound contrived.
It’s too convenient of an excuse to have a material witness in a case where there was no accident, and only a friend to back up his word and take the bullet for him.
But maybe it's true, Ron would never lie. ;)

Tazio
12th March 2011, 03:30
illegal drag racing ?
:burnout: :laugh:

Bagwan
12th March 2011, 13:21
Ronnie didn't have just one infringment . He had four , resulting in twelve points off , and the loss of licence .

This little boo boo cost him three , so we can extropolate that three others cost him the same number of points .

Here , if we stay clean for a long period , we have our points given back .
If it's the same there , we can assume the infractions came in a reasonably short period of time , perhaps the last year .

A guy with nine demerits for the last twelve months already , says that it was the guy behind him that was at fault .
Would you let him off ?

Robinho
12th March 2011, 17:04
Ronnie didn't have just one infringment . He had four , resulting in twelve points off , and the loss of licence .

This little boo boo cost him three , so we can extropolate that three others cost him the same number of points .

Here , if we stay clean for a long period , we have our points given back .
If it's the same there , we can assume the infractions came in a reasonably short period of time , perhaps the last year .

A guy with nine demerits for the last twelve months already , says that it was the guy behind him that was at fault .
Would you let him off ?

Nice speculation, but your points stay on your licence for (I think) 3 years, might be 5, and you get three points for a basic speeding infringement such as 33mph I'n a 30 zone. With the proliferation of speed cameras and mobile camera vans I'n the uk I'n the last few years it's very easy to accumulate a few points without doing much.

I don't know what his other points were for, but the most common are for speeding. Not condoning it, but losing your licence for some minor speeding is pretty harsh IMO. Of course he could have been caught doing 55 mph I'n a 30 zone a few times and I'n which case he's lucky to have had it for so long! But it's not necessary that he had 3 infringements I'n the last year

Bagwan
12th March 2011, 20:01
Nice speculation, but your points stay on your licence for (I think) 3 years, might be 5, and you get three points for a basic speeding infringement such as 33mph I'n a 30 zone. With the proliferation of speed cameras and mobile camera vans I'n the uk I'n the last few years it's very easy to accumulate a few points without doing much.

I don't know what his other points were for, but the most common are for speeding. Not condoning it, but losing your licence for some minor speeding is pretty harsh IMO. Of course he could have been caught doing 55 mph I'n a 30 zone a few times and I'n which case he's lucky to have had it for so long! But it's not necessary that he had 3 infringements I'n the last year

The length of time is largely irrelevent in this , Robinho .
Whatever that time frame is , he exceeded the limit , even though , as time passes , he eventually gets them back .

It essentially makes him a serial offender , in this case .

I would be interested to know what the other points incidents were about as well .

Mark
12th March 2011, 20:27
You can say that. But getting 4 offences over 3 years is not difficult due to speed cameras etc doing you for only being slightly over the limit.

I would think it wrong to be so judgemental about someone banned through totting up.

CNR
12th March 2011, 23:08
Q:do you think that the cars he drives would have something to do with it might be time for him to fit age setting next to sport setting in the cars

http://www.nopenaltypoints.co.uk/RunningaARedLight.html

A person shall not be guilty of an offence by virtue of paragraph (a) of subsection (2) above if he shows that he did not know and could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained who the driver of the vehicle was.

markabilly
13th March 2011, 02:54

well, the statement is:

that he had driven through the light to avoid collision with a friend's car which was following close behind

illegal drag racing ?

hummmm.......possibly explains much